AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-11-04, 06:24   Link #1
Trance
Translator In Despair
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kuwait
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Trance
Star Ocean: The First Departure

It's an enhanced remake for the 1st Star Ocean, it's going to be released on PSP. New playable characters have been confirmed as well. There will be new voice actors, animated cutscenes and extensive amounts of new, fully voiced dialogue. With seiyu (Voice Actors) such as: Mamoru Miyano {Ouran High School Host Club (Tamaki Suou), Death Note (Light Yagami) & Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Setsuna F Seiei)} Also, Houko Kuwashima is here as well { Claymore - Clare, Gundam SEED DESTINY - Stella Loussier}. Moreover, this game is getting its own special edition bundle like Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, therefore, this game is definitely going to be a huge hit in Japan. Release date is set on December 27th 2007 of course. No American release date has been set so far. Import is the answer :P

Pictures of the special edition package:

http://www.psu.com/media/articles/st...n_psp_back.jpg
http://www.psu.com/media/articles/st...n_psp_case.jpg
http://www.psu.com/media/articles/st...n_psp_pack.jpg

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQM58Gm6IuM

Any thoughts & comments are welcomed
__________________
Philosophical Perspectives
Biochemistry will leave you in despair!
Trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 09:13   Link #2
Ymor
20th Century Boy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brazil
Age: 24
I preferred continuations than remakes, SO1 and 2 already had been good games in your times, I don't see for that to make remakes(I am excluding the factor "easy money to square" lol).
__________________
Always so look on the bright side of life
Ymor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 15:52   Link #3
Trance
Translator In Despair
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kuwait
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Trance
Heh, well, they are making SO4 but it's still deeply in development, but these enhanced improvements in this game are very appealing to me and I'm likely to get my own copy soon
__________________
Philosophical Perspectives
Biochemistry will leave you in despair!
Trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 16:34   Link #4
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 288′0″N 8137′54″W
I plan on getting the Eternal Edition+a few other PSP games... I just hope I don't run out of money to save my spares for January/February releases(Disgaea 3, DMC4, Wii, Brawl).
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 06:50   Link #5
Trance
Translator In Despair
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kuwait
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Trance
lol, we are all hoping that
__________________
Philosophical Perspectives
Biochemistry will leave you in despair!
Trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 15:34   Link #6
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
You didn't mention that Yukari Tamura is in it...

*smacks Zizu with a paper fan*
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 22:44   Link #7
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
I bought the game today and played more than 3 hours of it..

I made a small mistake which cannot be corrected, especially the fact that I saved the game 10 minutes later thinking that I had saved before the cutscene though that wasn't the case. I told Ruddle to go south instead of north and when I quickly catch up to the town due south, Ruddle said something about getting farther from his destination and decided to give up. Does this mean that Ruddle will not meet Rumina anymore? If that's the case, what items did I miss? In SO3, the two of them sold an awesome item that enabled an inventor recruitment. What about this game?
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 23:31   Link #8
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
I don't remember exactly what you missed, but you didn't miss anything spectacular. I'm pretty sure it was a consumable item, and it was an item that sat in my inventory unused for practically the entire game.



But ah, good memories playing this game. Owning the bosses with Redwyrm Thundersurge, Torotoise Smash/Tiger Claw, and most especially Galaxy was just plain ridiculous. XD
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 10:55   Link #9
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
The skill point glitch seems to be most useful. Once in awhile, I would get 100-115 SP after level up which helps a lot. Usually, you are supposed to gain the number of SP the same as your new level.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 12:28   Link #10
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
In all honesty, you don't need the skill point glitch. Just max the skill that reduces SP first and foremost (I believe it was called determination), and you'd have no problems with SP when tacked on with the super specialty enlightenment (of which determination is a part of anyways).

With this, you should max all your skills by end game (even the useless ones, like increase cast speed for fighter types), which is around lvl 100. If you really min/maxed, you should have all of it maxed by around lvl 80.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 16:34   Link #11
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
In all honesty, you don't need the skill point glitch. Just max the skill that reduces SP first and foremost (I believe it was called determination), and you'd have no problems with SP when tacked on with the super specialty enlightenment (of which determination is a part of anyways).

With this, you should max all your skills by end game (even the useless ones, like increase cast speed for fighter types), which is around lvl 100. If you really min/maxed, you should have all of it maxed by around lvl 80.
True, but it does make it easily considering that it normally requires 2-3 levels to raise one for Determination, whereas the glitch will raise 2-3 levels in one go making all other skills 1 SP requirement. My current Determination is Lv7 and I already maxed out 2 out of the 3 cooking components because vegetables (20 fol each) are cheap and they make great healing items (35-100% heal). I rarely use magical points (MP) unless during the final arena battles due to lack of healing items.

About the leveling, so there is no longer the Lv255 limit? Currently, Roddick's level is 34 and I thought it would take forever to reach 255, but if its 100, then it would be much quicker. I should get to it in awhile..
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 17:10   Link #12
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
There is the level cap of 255 AFAIK, but considering even the optional super boss can be be beaten at the 70's/80's (either through Galaxy, Redwyrm Thundersurge, or Dragon Roar spam, pick your poison), it's really useless.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 18:51   Link #13
Father Hentai
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
True, but it does make it easily considering that it normally requires 2-3 levels to raise one for Determination, whereas the glitch will raise 2-3 levels in one go making all other skills 1 SP requirement. My current Determination is Lv7 and I already maxed out 2 out of the 3 cooking components because vegetables (20 fol each) are cheap and they make great healing items (35-100% heal). I rarely use magical points (MP) unless during the final arena battles due to lack of healing items.

About the leveling, so there is no longer the Lv255 limit? Currently, Roddick's level is 34 and I thought it would take forever to reach 255, but if its 100, then it would be much quicker. I should get to it in awhile..
The first thing I did was pushing up his training and scouting talent. This helped to push to lvl 80 easily.
__________________
Born the same day as Satoshi Urushihara... Ill fated?
Father Hentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 19:10   Link #14
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
What level do you have to be to beat the flying metallic dragon in the Arena's Rank A round 2 match? Maybe, it is my weak equipment (sinclair + padded armor), it did about 2300 damage on me per hit, while I am doing only 60-70 damage on it. This doesn't seem right.. My level is almost 45, thanks to the round 1 Rank A battle which yields 10000+ exp. per battle.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 01:51   Link #15
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
You need at least a Walloon sword, which is a rare drop from those people with orange swords IIRC or advance until you get access to silvalant. Even then it would be tough unless you have berserker ring (craft a ruby) and/or Ring of might (craft an orihalcum, was it? I forgot).

I personally fought it with better weapons like dwarven sword or air slicer from the old race ruins, though at that point you can probably customize a nice earth sword that drains hp (forgot the name), or a bit later, you can customize the temporary luxurious swords into the permanent (and awesome) dueling sword. Gotta love that dueling sword, since it's the best non-elemental weapon for Roddick.

In anycase, just dragon roar spam him. God, that skill is so cheap. XD
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 19:06   Link #16
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
You need at least a Walloon sword, which is a rare drop from those people with orange swords IIRC or advance until you get access to silvalant. Even then it would be tough unless you have berserker ring (craft a ruby) and/or Ring of might (craft an orihalcum, was it? I forgot).

I personally fought it with better weapons like dwarven sword or air slicer from the old race ruins, though at that point you can probably customize a nice earth sword that drains hp (forgot the name), or a bit later, you can customize the temporary luxurious swords into the permanent (and awesome) dueling sword. Gotta love that dueling sword, since it's the best non-elemental weapon for Roddick.

In anycase, just dragon roar spam him. God, that skill is so cheap. XD
How did you craft good items? Most of Roddick's skills are Lv10, yet I keep on getting tons of garbage like lame earrings, heavy rings, scrap paper, etc.. The only thing I got good on would be cooking, which rarely do I get the wilted salads (heals 50% HP) and the tasteless stews (heals 30% MP). The rotting sashimi causes poison, while the rest does nothing but sells for 1 fol each.

Last I tried crafting 3 sinclairs, it resulted as dull blades. I lost some green beryls, crystals, and diamonds to heavy rings. After getting Determination to 10, I got Effort to 10, then started maxing out most non-combat skills. As for my combat skills, it reached Lv5 for most of them. Still, it is entirely possible to get the paralysis status and game over. I am right outside Silvalant, hopefully they will sell the paralysis amulet, otherwise I won't be able to solo for awhile. Currently, each battle yields me about 7000 EXP and 4000 fol for Roddick and Ioshua. Not bad!!
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 20:06   Link #17
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
First and foremost, IIRC all specialties has a requisite talent, like Sense of Taste for cooking. The character doing that specialty MUST have that talent, or else you fail 99% of the time. Good thing though is if you keep using a specialty, there's a random chance you'd learn the talent (and get 100 SP for your trouble as well).

You need the items that increase their success rate, like the Kitchen Knife in the town you get Ronix back. There's the hidden merchant in Silvalant as well, who sells the more important ones (like the one that increases customization, for example).

Alternatively, have someone with Sense of Design and Dexterity use Machinery over and over and over again. Sooner or later, you'd have all the items that increase specialty skills success rate.

Most importantly, you need to use music. IIRC, one of the violin music GREATLY increases the chance of succeeding. Alternatively, you can use Orchestra, but that one's shorter, so if you're trying to mass produce anything, it's much less effecient. And it's simple... you just have to use the specialty skill after the music starts but before the music ends to get the benefit.

With all that, you should succeed 90% of the time. Really useful for alchemy, since if you're gonna be using item creation a lot, you're gonna need a lot of special gems.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 22:41   Link #18
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
First and foremost, IIRC all specialties has a requisite talent, like Sense of Taste for cooking. The character doing that specialty MUST have that talent, or else you fail 99% of the time. Good thing though is if you keep using a specialty, there's a random chance you'd learn the talent (and get 100 SP for your trouble as well).

You need the items that increase their success rate, like the Kitchen Knife in the town you get Ronix back. There's the hidden merchant in Silvalant as well, who sells the more important ones (like the one that increases customization, for example).

Alternatively, have someone with Sense of Design and Dexterity use Machinery over and over and over again. Sooner or later, you'd have all the items that increase specialty skills success rate.

Most importantly, you need to use music. IIRC, one of the violin music GREATLY increases the chance of succeeding. Alternatively, you can use Orchestra, but that one's shorter, so if you're trying to mass produce anything, it's much less effecient. And it's simple... you just have to use the specialty skill after the music starts but before the music ends to get the benefit.

With all that, you should succeed 90% of the time. Really useful for alchemy, since if you're gonna be using item creation a lot, you're gonna need a lot of special gems.
Oh.. No wonder why I had a failing rate of 99%.

The special items I got are: Lezard Flask, Keen Kitchen Knife, Magic Camera, Harmonica, and Book of Prophecy 1, 3, 5, 6, as well as 3 useless copies of New Book of Prophecy.

And Roddick's talents learned throughout the game are: Originality, Taste, Nimble Fingers, Composition, Love of Animals, Animal Instinct, and 4 empty slots. Is there any way to fill up those 4 empty slots using books? Funny thing is that I got most of the skills with maxed levels, yet my equipments and items are mostly useless.

Spoiler:


Tri-Ace is definitely something. These tips actually come in handy throughout the game.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 13:25   Link #19
Amray
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Age: 24
It is this remake of Star Ocean: The First Departure that made this story finally make its place and first appearance in the United Kingdom. This game was never actually released in the UK officially which made it extremely rare to get a hold of and is also the reason why its sales exceeded to over 70, for the original Playstation version, when it was found on sales over the internet.

I downloaded a trailer onto my PSP and it looks quite decent. I am definitely considering purchasing this game. The only restriction that I have is all of the other games and DVD's that I want even more.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 14:10   Link #20
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
At Silverlant, I am having a problem..

How to make the Philosopher's Stone? I had this same problem while playing SO3 awhile back, it took me several hours before I succeeded. In this case, however.. I am not sure which character to use, but the only ones that have the crafting skill right now would be Roddick (Lv9 Alchemy, Lv9 Orchestra) and Ioshua (Lv8 Alchemy, Lv6 Orchestra). I also have all the required skills to Lv10, but after crafting 40 pieces of Iron, I got many heavy rings, quite a few lame earrings, 2-3 pieces of weighty rings (doubles light damage), a hefty earring, and 2-3 pieces of anti-poison amulets, as well as many pieces of ugly accessory that resembles the mandrake. Luckily, I didn't saved game, so I only wasted an hour of doing so rather than 6000 fol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
It is this remake of Star Ocean: The First Departure that made this story finally make its place and first appearance in the United Kingdom. This game was never actually released in the UK officially which made it extremely rare to get a hold of and is also the reason why its sales exceeded to over 70, for the original Playstation version, when it was found on sales over the internet.

I downloaded a trailer onto my PSP and it looks quite decent. I am definitely considering purchasing this game. The only restriction that I have is all of the other games and DVD's that I want even more.
Actually, this is not a remake of Star Ocean: First Departure, but that the game itself is named as such, while that it is the remake of Star Ocean (snes).

Spoiler:


They have renamed all the characters and improved it so much that it is very similar to SO3.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.