AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-06, 06:15   Link #1
NightSamurai

Mature Romance

I am looking for a more mature romance, by mature I mean the characters get into a relationship before the end of the series, and that this relationship grows and changes with the hardships they face. Something that really gets you involved with the characters so that you actually care what happens. I am tired of anime where both the characters are too timid to admit that they like each other, and it is only during the last episode that they finally tell each other. I would prefer male protagonists, but female leads are fine as long as there is a decent male character in the anime. I am also not a huge fan of harem, one or two serious female love interests is fine but not too many more. Other than that I am pretty open to all scenarios, school life, fantasy, whatever. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Animes seen:
-RomeoxJuliet
-School Days
-Bokura ga Ita
-Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
-REC
-Elfin Lied

EDIT: I have also seen Sola

Last edited by NightSamurai; 2007-11-10 at 05:38. Reason: Add to list...
Old 2007-11-06, 06:22   Link #2
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSamurai View Post
I am looking for a more mature romance, by mature I mean the characters get into a relationship before the end of the series, and that this relationship grows and changes with the hardships they face. Something that really gets you involved with the characters so that you actually care what happens. I am tired of anime where both the characters are too timid to admit that they like each other, and it is only during the last episode that they finally tell each other. I would prefer male protagonists, but female leads are fine as long as there is a decent male character in the anime. I am also not a huge fan of harem, one or two serious female love interests is fine but not too many more. Other than that I am pretty open to all scenarios, school life, fantasy, whatever. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Animes seen:
-RomeoxJuliet
-School Days
-Bokura ga Ita
-Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
-REC
-Elfin Lied
Have you seen Victorian Romance Emma, I think it has all of what you are looking for.
Old 2007-11-06, 16:48   Link #3
NightSamurai

No I haven't, I will be sure to give it a watch though. After reading a few descriptions it seems to have a 'Pride and Prejudice'-esque story which sounds great to me.
Old 2007-11-06, 22:14   Link #4
barefoot

I think you might like suzuka
Old 2007-11-06, 23:08   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hataraki Man is a slice-of-life show about a woman in her late 20's working in a Japanese publishing house. While the primary focus is on the workplace, there's a continuing subplot about the difficulties of combining career and romance. Hiroko's been in a relationship with a mid-level manager for about four years when the show begins.
Old 2007-11-06, 23:58   Link #6
coren

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou?
Old 2007-11-07, 01:02   Link #7
foreverdissevered
Endless Entity

Saikano..~
Old 2007-11-07, 01:02   Link #8
iXenomorph
Anime Addicted

Send a message via MSN to iXenomorph
Since you say you're open to all scenarios, you may want to check out Fate/Stay Night. While it is primarily an action anime, the romance is extremely mature and well-developed. There admittedly is some of the cliche elements of a romance, e.g the male protagonist "accidentally" falling on the girl, etc. But this is very rare and only occurrs in the beginning. It takes a much more serious tone towards the middle/end of the series.

I would describe the romance more to give you a better idea but i don't want to give out spoilers so PM me if you want to know more.
Old 2007-11-07, 05:17   Link #9
tbl
Affably Evil

I'd suggest Kanon. Although it's technically a harem, each heroine has their own arc and there is only a love triangle during the last arc, although that's not here the biggest emphasis lies.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-11-07, 07:43   Link #10
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl View Post
I'd suggest Kanon. Although it's technically a harem, each heroine has their own arc and there is only a love triangle during the last arc, although that's not here the biggest emphasis lies.
Uh, I'm going to have to recommend to NOT watch Kanon, even though in my opinion, is the best anime for all time. First off:

Quote:
I am also not a huge fan of harem, one or two serious female love interests is fine but not too many more.
Secondly, even though there is love, there are too many characters for a relationship to actually turn serious for your tastes. I know there's that girl with wings and she appears from time to time for that relationship, but there are too many factors that detriment the main pairing.
Old 2007-11-07, 11:05   Link #11
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Kanon isn't a harem anime, it's an anime with harem. There's a difference.

I hate harem as much as you do, but I enjoyed Kanon 2006 very much. The animation, characters and just everything is nice.
Old 2007-11-08, 17:48   Link #12
NightSamurai

I just tried to watch Kanon 2006, I got about 5 episodes in and there doesn't seem to be any serious relationships at all... If I keep going is he going to actually get a girlfriend or is he going to just continue to have a lot of girls who are friends? I am really getting desperate here, all the romance anime I watch seems to be more focused on comedy than the romance itself, I am tired of every possible romantical situation getting turned into some sort of comedic misunderstanding! The setting doesn't really matter as long as it has some sort of comprehensible plot with the focus on romance. Thanks again (and sorry for the rant).

Last edited by NightSamurai; 2007-11-08 at 18:05. Reason: I needed to rant...
Old 2007-11-08, 19:16   Link #13
himemiya613

kanon only has a bit of romance in the ending, it shouldnt be considered a romance anime, but i still think its one of the best and unique anime ever. i think you might like Honey and Clover, and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.
Old 2007-11-09, 07:59   Link #14
yepimasissy

I would not really recomend the suzuka anime though if you are into manga, the manga version is much better
Old 2007-11-09, 11:16   Link #15
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Gift ~Eternal Rainbow~ - romance/drama with a wee bit of fantasy. Yes, the cuple do get together before the final episode of the series.

Canvas 2 - romance/drama. One of my favorites among the genre. There might be comedy every now and then, but the relationships of the love triangle are never taken as a joke, and he does get together with one by the end. (Be sure to watch past the credits of the final episode).

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - romance/drama in a hospital setting.

Sola - romance/drama/fantasy
Old 2007-11-09, 11:51   Link #16
mdauben

Thumbs up

Quote:
I am looking for a more mature romance, by mature I mean the characters get into a relationship before the end of the series, and that this relationship grows and changes with the hardships they face.
One I just recently watched that might meet your criteria is Lamune.

The two main characters are obviously paired through the whole series, gradually developing from friends into lovers. There is a bit of romantic rivalry, and a bit of drama too, but I just thought it handled the developing relationship really nicely, without the angst and tears that so often substitute for genuine emotions.
Old 2007-11-10, 00:12   Link #17
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

I think Midori Days is what your looking for. The love relationship starts very early in the anime and gets even better as it gets near the end.
Old 2007-11-10, 04:37   Link #18
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I second Saikano and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.
Old 2007-11-10, 05:37   Link #19
NightSamurai

Alright, thanks so much for your suggestions everyone! So far I have seen Saikano (I don't think I stopped crying throughout the second half of the show, among the most heart-wrenching anime I have seen), Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (Very, very touching; I really liked the ending), Suzuka (it had a few frustrating moments, was somewhat slow and ended pretty abruptly, but it was definitely worth the watch), Canvas 2 (Another great one, though this was a little tedious in some episodes, it pulled through and had, at least for me, a perfect ending). I am now attempting to make my way through Kare Kano and Lamune. Thanks again, and any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2007-11-10, 06:57   Link #20
Teletha

Maison Ikkoku I'd say it doesn't fit exactly what you are talking about since they don't get into a relationship really early on, but there are reasons for that (she's a grieving widow) and they do grow together and change and meet hardships together. Overall, it's a fantastic story and a great romance. It's more of a romance where you could see the people together for life. It's not some high school first crush. To me it's the definition of a mature adult relationship anime. It's also pretty damn funny.

As for Kare Kano, read the manga. The anime doesn't end in a satisfying spot. The manga finishes the story and gives them a great happy end.
Closed Thread

Tags
mature, romance