AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2007-11-08, 22:46   Link #21
•••Shadow•••
Love hater

Rozen Maiden Gepetgarten
Valkrie Profile 2
•••Shadow••• is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 15:03   Link #22
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Ha, so from this thread, we can garner that...
World of Warcraft
Perfect Dark Zero
Twilight Princess
Command and Conquer 3

Are so far the most disappointing games :O

I think I'll add a few to my list.

Call of Duty series (excluding 4): I guess I never got past the fact that the only fun levels were the Russian ones (INTENSE), and that otherwise, it was just yet ANOTHER WWII FPS, albeit perhaps even lazier, simplified, and cookie-cutter than the rest. Since when did scripted events make a good game?

Company of Heroes: This game got rated highly by just about every single review site out there, but I have to say, this is the first RTS that I didn't finish the single player, and the first RTS that I got bored out of my mind playing. It's got interesting mechanics, but it's just so boring. There's not really any faction diversity. You can't play Allies vs Allies, or Axis vs Axis... wtf? Seriously, this is a GAME. The online competitive scene was just boring. Foot soldiers running around shooting each other, then retreating. It was like Dawn of War all over again... two or three squads vying for map control but never dying. Some people like the fact that units react really realistically, getting pinned down under machine gun fire, etc, but I have a word for that: LACK OF UNIT CONTROL. Yeah, it's cool looking. But it's completely impractical gameplay wise. Imagine if in Starcraft your Marines pussied out.

Diddy Kong Racing: Wow! Carts, planes, and HOVERCRAFTS! Yeah, except, the controls were really bad, the characters were stupid, and the only good thing to come out of this game was Conker.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 15:49   Link #23
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Diddy Kong Racing: Wow! Carts, planes, and HOVERCRAFTS! Yeah, except, the controls were really bad, the characters were stupid, and the only good thing to come out of this game was Conker.
Only if you didn't know how to play.

The controls could be easily mastered, they just took time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
That's...........very poor reasoning. Care to actually give some substance before dissing one of the most popular RPG sagas, please?
I don't need to its a no brainer if you've been playing games and enough RPG's long enough.

The most obvious being its like a cheap cashcow whore from the sidestreet.

Last edited by Sety; 2007-11-09 at 16:00.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 17:35   Link #24
Papaya
Sup

Yo, if you're going to market a game for kids, you need to make it accessible for kids. I honestly don't care if you could "master the controls" if you spent enough time. You can do that for any game, but it doesn't make it good. When I played the game when I was in 6th or 7th grade, it was crap. And that's all that mattered to me at the time, so I didn't buy the game past the rent.

Also, let's keep that attitude out of this thread, and these forums in general. No need to act like an elitist here.
Old 2007-11-09, 17:44   Link #25
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:

I have to disagree with this. I was actually expecting DKR to be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised. The single player adventure mode was pretty unique and racing plane vs. car etc. in multiplayer was a nice change of pace. Yeah, the hovercraft controls were pretty annoying but you could get them eventually and it wasn't game breaking. The only part I really disliked was the bosses that literally cheat and laugh at you as they sprint off before you even get the green light. Conker also technically didn't originate from this game even though it was the first he was actually playable in, his game that would be delayed several years (and completely redesigned in the process) was already being previewed before DKR.

I'll also throw in another vote for Twilight Princess, I actually meant to mention that in my first post. The bosses couldn't kill you unless you let them, and it was really annoying finding 50 and 100 rupee chests everywhere when there wasn't anything to even spend them on. I also found the wolf sections pretty lackluster, and I think the Wii sword control was more annoying than innovative. And about the main villain:
Spoiler:

To the game's credit though, it is so far the only one that has actually interested me enough to keep the Wii plugged in.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 18:40   Link #26
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
The only part I really disliked was the bosses that literally cheat and laugh at you as they sprint off before you even get the green light.
Only boss I recall doing that was Wizpig himself. All the other bosses were easily beatable without even using the boosts as long you kept in control. On that note I remember fondly facing off against Wizzpig and being pleasantly surprised by the challenge.

What made the game greater I thought was the fifth world, it was like perfect the game then WOAH new world!

Quote:
Yo, if you're going to market a game for kids, you need to make it accessible for kids. I honestly don't care if you could "master the controls" if you spent enough time. You can do that for any game, but it doesn't make it good.
Not sure what character you used but as long you didn't use those power characters they were easily controlled. Most of the difficulty came from the fact you had to use the brakes and only someone who got the hang of the physics could pull off braking properly with them. If you think about it the physics were far more realistic given the difficulty to control something that fast.

Also I'm not sure about you but I was 10 or 11 when I played it and I never had any problems with it nor did my friends who I borrowed it off.

And Bladewing is right I remember Conker in some really awful GBC game I once played.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 19:13   Link #27
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Only boss I recall doing that was Wizpig himself. All the other bosses were easily beatable without even using the boosts as long you kept in control. On that note I remember fondly facing off against Wizzpig and being pleasantly surprised by the challenge.

What made the game greater I thought was the fifth world, it was like perfect the game then WOAH new world!
All of the bosses did it, I am positive of that. They were still beatable as you say, it just seemed like a really cheap way to try to make them hard. I don't remember that final race quite as fondly as you, I sat there losing for hours and I think I was more relieved than happy when I finally did it.
Old 2007-11-09, 19:16   Link #28
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
You're shitting me, right? I got the hang of the controls when I first played the game, and I have never even picked up an N64 controller prior to that except when I first played Starfox 64 but that was 25 minutes beforehand.

Also, Conker was only in the game because he was used to be in another game around DKR was released, but it was scrapped so we got Conker's Bad Fur Day, and it's probably the oddest thing Rareware has ever done, even more-so than making games for Microsoft.
Old 2007-11-09, 19:55   Link #29
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

No one has said Fable?
Biggest disappointment EVER. I could go on for hours on why it was...
Old 2007-11-09, 20:11   Link #30
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
I don't need to its a no brainer if you've been playing games and enough RPG's long enough.

The most obvious being its like a cheap cashcow whore from the sidestreet.
Well, I guess that's fine to not explain if you don't mind people not taking you seriously.

As for the single weak reason you do give, being a cashcow doesn't make something bad.
Old 2007-11-09, 20:23   Link #31
Rahan

I don't play much anymore, some games in the list are more than 10 years old, but well :

1) Lands of Lore 2. Lol was one of the best PC RPG. LoL2 came out very late, 2-3 years after its first announced release date. And the game was just awful.
2) Z. Was super hyped. First game of the Bitmap Brothers in ages. Turned out super crappy
3) Heroes of Might & Magic 5 and Settlers 5. What the well what that ? Those games totally ruined their franchises.
5) Warcraft III : ok, this one was still pretty fun to play compared to the others of my list, but I was expecting so much more of it.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 01:40   Link #32
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb View Post
You're shitting me, right? I got the hang of the controls when I first played the game, and I have never even picked up an N64 controller prior to that except when I first played Starfox 64 but that was 25 minutes beforehand.

Also, Conker was only in the game because he was used to be in another game around DKR was released, but it was scrapped so we got Conker's Bad Fur Day, and it's probably the oddest thing Rareware has ever done, even more-so than making games for Microsoft.
*shrug*
I played DKR after I got used to Mario Kart, so that's probably why I thought the controls felt so weird.
Old 2007-11-10, 04:47   Link #33
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Halo 2: overrated piece of garbage.
WoW: awesome MMORPG, but all MMORPG are crap.
Super Mario Sunshine: good game; however, my expectations were too high and the game didn't delivery 1/10 of the fun experience provided by other Mario games.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 09:56   Link #34
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
No one has said Fable?
well heres the thing I actually enjoyed playing it, it was a good solid 10mins of gaming fun but after completing it it had no replay value what so ever. Now there are a few other things in game that I could nick pick at but I can't be arsed to

Heres hoping Fable 2 will NOT be the only a solid 12mins of gaming fun

for those of you who haven't played Fable it is one of the shortest RPGs you will ever play....EVER! and as stated is actually really one of the biggest disappointments ever!

I'll add any Medal of Honor sequel to the list, apart from airborne as thats the only one I haven't tried yet. When CoD came out it just put bar too high for MoH to reach.
Old 2007-11-10, 11:08   Link #35
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
No one has said Fable?
What? Fable was so realistic. In real life I am constantly walking down short linear paths bordered by mysteriously impassable bushes, aren't you? And the gameplay was so interactive, after I killed this one monster, all the villagers were yelling my name 10 times per minute as opposed to a mere 9. This game delivered on everything its genius creator promised.

In all seriousness, I didn't mention Fable because it was too obvious, I think just about everyone was disappointed by it. The moral of the story is, never ever listen to anything Peter Molyneux says.
Old 2007-11-10, 17:08   Link #36
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
What? Fable was so realistic. In real life I am constantly walking down short linear paths bordered by mysteriously impassable bushes, aren't you? And the gameplay was so interactive, after I killed this one monster, all the villagers were yelling my name 10 times per minute as opposed to a mere 9. This game delivered on everything its genius creator promised.

In all seriousness, I didn't mention Fable because it was too obvious, I think just about everyone was disappointed by it. The moral of the story is, never ever listen to anything Peter Molyneux says.
I don't think its that you shouldn't listen to what he says more to the point that you shouldn't expect much from what he is saying. I mean he DID put in the aging thingy and.......eh......well on 2nd thoughts maybe we shouldn't listen to what he says after all

I would also like to add another game, after reading about Crysis. I remember that I still got very mixed feelings about Far Cry. As great a game it is, when they introduce the....well how do I put it the "way to ruin a great game bad guys" I actually don't know what to say about it all as thinking about it again has made me feel rather down
Old 2007-11-11, 04:53   Link #37
Papaya
Sup

Quote:

DONCHA KNOW HES GONNA REVOLUTIONIZE COMBAT USING ONE ATTACK BUTTON IN FABLE TWO!???

PS: canine companions are the future of gaming
Old 2007-11-11, 05:05   Link #38
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Most disappointments for me are sequels. I'm normally aware of what I buy, but there are game sequels that I purchase religiously because the originals were so awesome. Like KOTOR2, Deus Ex 2. Of course there are cases like Fable and Black&White where an average game just gets way too much hype.
Old 2007-11-12, 00:02   Link #39
beamknight87
Gold Saint

- Twilight Princess... come on, it was SO easy it wasn't even funny. The bosses only took off 1/4 of a heart if they MANAGED to touch you.
- A.C.E. 3, ACE2 was much, much better. Again, it was damn easy...
beamknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 01:59   Link #40
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

I didn't think it was THAT bad. Being evil was ultra-amusing. Especially if you slaughtered an entire town, and waited for new villagers to come. They didn't know who you were, so they wouldn't cover at first, then you kill them, too. breaking into a store at night, killing the owner, and stealing the stuff before the cops got there was funny, too. The free money cheat was good, too. (Break down the doors to your rented-out house, put in trophies, sell house, remove trophies. Repeat until you amass a ridiculous amount of gold. )

And I got through all the secrets and secret weapons in the game. It was really easy, overall, but I found the jailbreak parts annoying as hell. The zombies popping out of the ground everywhere started to REALLY annoy me after the first 10 min.

What I really didn't like about the game is how old you looked when you leveled up. I know it was supposed to be realistic, but my character looked pretty ugly. That, and sometimes your character would get nasty looking scars on his face... and I had no idea where, when, how, or why they got there.