AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-11-12, 18:24   Link #1
B-kun

extracting scripts from .mkv files

well I've converted a few h264 .mkv (Softsubs) files for my PSP through PSP video 9 and I've noticed that the subs are lost in the process, so I was wondering: how do you extract a script from a mkv file and put it into a MPEG-4 AVC PSP file?
B-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 19:02   Link #2
martino
makes no files now

As far as softsubs go you need to re-encode them (hardsub them on the video) since PSP plays the MP4 container which doesn't support ASS/SSA softsubs, only TTXT which I doubt that the PSP can render.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...99&postcount=2
Old 2007-11-13, 01:06   Link #3
B-kun

Oh, boy. Now I have a new problem. The converted file with the subs works perfectly fine on my PC, but when I transfer it to my PSP, my PSP says "Unsupported Data". It already took two hours to get everything straight and now my PSP turns arround and bites me in the ass....Well, either way, thanks so much for the advice! You're my savior! Actually, I just now realized that you're the same martino from Ayu! It's an honor to get advice straight from you! Actually the two .mkv files that I was converting were Ayu's sub for Minami-ke.
Old 2007-11-13, 21:51   Link #4
hcl4

Instead of extracting the subtitles, turn on "Autoload VSFilter" in the CCCP's settings. Then encode the mkv to mp4 like normal and it should work. I would also recommend using Xvid4PSP instead of because its not adware and its faster if you have a dual core CPU.

http://www.winnydows.com/xvid4psp.html
Only the latest beta version is available for download though not an older version that's better overall.
hcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 03:39   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-kun View Post
The converted file with the subs works perfectly fine on my PC, but when I transfer it to my PSP, my PSP says "Unsupported Data". It already took two hours to get everything straight and now my PSP turns arround and bites me in the ass....
I don't have a PSP unfortunately, and not even one of those two mentioned programs, however the only questions that I can think of asking would be;
1. Since you want it for the PSP did you use PSPVideo9? (Silly question, to which I think I already know the answer, sorry.)
2. Since I don't know how the program works, what is the resolution of the encoded file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl4 View Post
Instead of extracting the subtitles, turn on "Autoload VSFilter" in the CCCP's settings. Then encode the mkv to mp4 like normal and it should work. I would also recommend using Xvid4PSP instead of because its not adware and its faster if you have a dual core CPU.

http://www.winnydows.com/xvid4psp.html
Only the latest beta version is available for download though not an older version that's better overall.
Hmmm... Is any of the mentioned applications in GHDpro's guide adware? I sort of doubt that. However the XviD4PSP approach might work too. Only thing to note that from the name it seems like it transcodes to XviD, so the quality might not be as good as with the other program (your mileage may vary).
Old 2007-11-14, 14:59   Link #6
hcl4

Oh that name is a little misleading as it does also work with PS3, 360, iPod, iPhone, and a few other formats. As for the ads, last time I tried PSP Video 9, it displays those annoying ads that include audio in a certain part of the program.
hcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-16, 01:43   Link #7
B-kun

The resolution of the converted file is 480x272. Also, I just tried auto loading the VSFilter and it didn't work. The subs are still gone. The file plays on my PSP, but the subs disappeared again.

@ hcl4: I'm running a 2 1/2 year old Celeron, so the conversion won't be any faster on Xvid4PSP.