AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Old 2007-11-20, 03:07   Link #1
inyourmamabed
Yourmama

Unhappy [Manga] What is Jiraiya?

I've been reading the Naruto manga and this whole Jiraiya fight has got me thinking. What is Jiraiya? Is he a Summoning, if not why is is mother and father are summonings? An another question, can summon even become a ninja? I just like someone to clear up this whole thing it's too much for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2007-11-20, 03:44   Link #2
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
It's... well.. complicated to explain... but all humans can be summonings as well. So you may be right.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 08:38   Link #3
ChojinLocke
Year 2
*Author

It's possible that if you sign a contract then you become a member of the family within the contract. Of course this doesnt answer much about jiraya..but he is as mysterious as Orochimaru i think.

Edit: wild thing...maybe Jirayas parents were humans but because they had the frog contract after their death they became frogs. So Jiraya will become a frog too...could explain the remark Madara made about Sasuke what he will become after his skin is peeled off..a snake or a Hawk..

Last edited by ChojinLocke; 2007-11-20 at 08:41. Reason: Edit
ChojinLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 09:30   Link #4
Naotaka
Sensei

I maybe completly of course here, but this is what I think.

Spoiler for Jaraiya:
Naotaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 11:32   Link #5
Zoe

Those frogs aren't his parents.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 12:20   Link #6
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Like Zoe said the toads aren't Jiraiya's parents and non-human creatures can become ninja, we have already seen ninja dogs and cats.
It also seems that contrary to what was widely believed "summon creatures" don't come from some kind of alternate dimension considering Jiraiya just get to a mountain where the toads live.
Kuchiyose no jutsu can simply call forth creatures who are bound by contract, objects, humans, etc.

Jiraiya getting frogs's traits appears to be part of the Sennin mode and of the "power of the toad" but they also seem to be temporary changes, in the case to his limbs to increase his speed.

Quote:
One day Jaraiya had a vision that he would meet a great toad on top of Myouboku Mountain, and that toad would gift him with the power of the toads. Originally that line was said by the great sage toad, but Jaraiya quickly points out that it was a vision he had about his own future. Though it's possible that both of them had the same vision, and both of them met up on the mountain due to that vision.
Jiraiya never had any vision about this, the only seer is the Great Toad.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 14:15   Link #7
Naotaka
Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post

Jiraiya never had any vision about this, the only seer is the Great Toad.
That's not the translation I have.

The one I have states, specificly from Jaraiya's mouth

"That was a vision I had about my own future."

after the great toad sage said

"I made a prediction that a young child would stumble apon Myouboku Moutain, and that I would gift him with the powers of the toads"

I'd post the pic for you but yea.....

Edit: If you don't belive me, look up chapter 376 page 15. I've read from 3 different sources who have a few simular translations in that chapter, but that one line stays the same through out all 3 sources.

Last edited by Naotaka; 2007-11-20 at 14:28.
Old 2007-11-20, 14:32   Link #8
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Send a message via AIM to Quzor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naotaka View Post
That's not the translation I have.

The one I have states, specificly from Jaraiya's mouth

"That was a vision I had about my own future."

after the great toad sage said

"I made a prediction that a young child would stumble apon Myouboku Moutain, and that I would gift him with the powers of the toads"

I'd post the pic for you but yea.....

Edit: If you don't belive me, look up chapter 376 page 15. I've read from 3 different sources who have a few simular translations in that chapter, but that one line stays the same through out all 3 sources.
Not to be a dick...but you're wrong. It's a common issue when it comes to reading manga. You have to pay attention to the shape of the text bubble. There is no marking to designate the speech coming from Jiraiya's mouth. Instead, the text is inscribed in a complete circle. It's the manga writer's way of showing us a different portion of the same scene while still having one character talking. The Great Toad Sage is the one who says "That was a vision...I had about my own future." It's just confusing because it's Jiraiya's picture in the frame.
Old 2007-11-20, 14:53   Link #9
Naotaka
Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quzor View Post
Not to be a dick...but you're wrong. It's a common issue when it comes to reading manga. You have to pay attention to the shape of the text bubble. There is no marking to designate the speech coming from Jiraiya's mouth. Instead, the text is inscribed in a complete circle. It's the manga writer's way of showing us a different portion of the same scene while still having one character talking. The Great Toad Sage is the one who says "That was a vision...I had about my own future." It's just confusing because it's Jiraiya's picture in the frame.
Hmm your right I missed that little part for some reason or another. I'm wrong, I apologize. And it's cool pointing something out is not being a dick.
Old 2007-11-20, 16:05   Link #10
Kowai

ma and pa are just titles... not jiraiyas actual parents.
like how other characters call chiyo "obaa-sama/san" doesnt make her theri g-ma xD
Old 2007-11-20, 16:11   Link #11
ChojinLocke
Year 2
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post

Jiraiya getting frogs's traits appears to be part of the Sennin mode and of the "power of the toad" but they also seem to be temporary changes, in the case to his limbs to increase his speed.
Jiraya must have spent a significant amount of time training with frogs to uncover such devastating techniques or maybe he was granted this mode? Same as Orochimaru really..this whole white snake thing and the Kusanagi within the snake too (?!) doesnt make much sense too.. It's one thing to summon a creature you have a contract with..it's a completely another to change your appearance and physical characteristics/fighting style/knowledge {at will}because of it.. somehow i think this 'power of the frog' was granted to Jiraya rather than obtained..
ChojinLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 16:17   Link #12
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

They (oro and jiraya) will probably always be inconsistent with the rules of the narutoverse because ultimately when Kishi was thinking up thier characters he was really paying homage to people in japanese mythology.
Old 2007-11-20, 16:18   Link #13
naruto89

didnt the sage state that "he was born with the power of the frogs" or something to that extent,

but this is something that has been buggin me, what actually is the hermit mode, ma and pa stated that he should learn to use it on his own but from what we've seen of his senjutsu (hermit arts) most of them require them elder frogs?

plus i really wanna know what those face marking's indicate and i may be mistaken but it would be safe to assume that they are red?
naruto89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 18:02   Link #14
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto89 View Post
didnt the sage state that "he was born with the power of the frogs" or something to that extent,
He was "granted" the power.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 09:13   Link #15
EoT
~~

So far Jiraiya and Orochimaru both have their modes, I'd hate to think if Tsunade had a slug mode >_>

But none the less his mode is very intriguing and reminds me of a fusion well it basically is a fusion really but I wonder how it works, is it kinjutsu? what on earth is it?
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 19:04   Link #16
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliana View Post
So far Jiraiya and Orochimaru both have their modes, I'd hate to think if Tsunade had a slug mode >_>

But none the less his mode is very intriguing and reminds me of a fusion well it basically is a fusion really but I wonder how it works, is it kinjutsu? what on earth is it?

would slug mode include her body becoming slug-like. She could engulf people and sufforcate them. She could become bigger and squishier?
Spoiler for mind in gutter:
if so, i would like to see tsunade in her *true* form. You could also keep cutting away at her just to find she regenerates and crap.

on topic,
jiriya is... jiraiya, a super peeping babe magnet who kicks ass.
Bari_Phillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 12:52   Link #17
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
Well, if you really get down to thinking it...Those two frogs arn't nessisarly his mother and father. Perhaps they are really close you know? like you just call them that. Now, if I were to take a guess, I don't think summoning are acually "summonings." Think of it this way. The user signs the contract allowing them to summon what ever it may be they summoned. Now, you often here the toads say stuff about there home. This is an obvious stating that they live someone in the world. So, perhaps these animals are trained as Ninja by someone in order to be a summoning. Now, I would assume these animals would have to sign the contract as well, now if that is the case, then that would mean that the animal has the ability to summon the human as well.
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 17:17   Link #18
Arthas1011
Bring on the blood mortal

Maybe these fabled toads were his adoptive parents
Arthas1011 is offline   Reply With Quote