AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-11-27, 06:50   Link #41
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
With the last post, the following animes have now been cut (though you may suggest them again)

24. Zegapain
25. Gundam Seed
26. Mobile Suit G Gundam
27. Buso Renkin
28. Cowboy Bebop
29. Midori no Hibi
30. Prince of Tennis
31. Hajime no Ippo
32. Major
minhtam1638 is offline  
Old 2007-11-27, 18:14   Link #42
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR boost back to Cowboy Bebop, but by all means, cut off all the rest cuz they kinda suk. BTW, when are you gunna actually start watching all this stuff?
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline  
Old 2007-11-27, 20:42   Link #43
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR boost back to Cowboy Bebop, but by all means, cut off all the rest cuz they kinda suk. BTW, when are you gunna actually start watching all this stuff?
1. When I get better. I've been down with the flu yesterday. Kinda getting better.
2. After I get most of my work done. Need to keep my grades up in college.
3. All Shuffle! files have been (loosely) tested for errors and are now on DVD. I've scheduled them for viewing either Wednesday or Thursday of this week. I may not get to it this week though, since I have an exam on Wednesday and another on Friday.
4. Mai-Hime has been downloaded to my main PC (which is not with me at this moment). I just need to compress those files in order for it to fit on one DVD.

Cowboy Bebop tacked back on.
minhtam1638 is offline  
Old 2007-11-27, 20:55   Link #44
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
1. When I get better. I've been down with the flu yesterday. Kinda getting better.
2. After I get most of my work done. Need to keep my grades up in college.
3. All Shuffle! files have been (loosely) tested for errors and are now on DVD. I've scheduled them for viewing either Wednesday or Thursday of this week. I may not get to it this week though, since I have an exam on Wednesday and another on Friday.
4. Mai-Hime has been downloaded to my main PC (which is not with me at this moment). I just need to compress those files in order for it to fit on one DVD.

Cowboy Bebop tacked back on.
why you need DVDs so badly? If you absoluely need to watch on your TV, get an S-video cable for great justice.

As for your grades *currently failing all of my classes* yeah, I guess that's a viable excuse T_T
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline  
Old 2007-11-27, 21:09   Link #45
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
why you need DVDs so badly? If you absoluely need to watch on your TV, get an S-video cable for great justice.
More or less I need the DVDs to backup the anime files. I could watch them on a TV anytime I want, but in the case that my hard drive disks break down, I can just rip the files out of my DVDs to bring them back.

I do this with all my files, actually. Video files on DVD, documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on a 4.0 GB USB. It's a safety mechanism on my part. Any other files that for some reason I don't back up, I usually consider not important.

Actually, the problem I prepared for happened recently. A week after burning Kanon into a DVD, something went amiss with the hard drive, and as a result, all of the family files for the past seven years just flatout disappeared. Though my mom and my brother were pissed when most of their files were lost (pictures from the last seven years), they were probably more pissed that I was the only one NOT affected by the loss. (In fact, I actually benefited from the loss since Dad installed a hard drive with 300 GB of more memory.) But oh, well. Took me only an hour to put my stuff back together.
minhtam1638 is offline  
Old 2007-11-28, 04:48   Link #46
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Wow... I totally forgot that I have watched the entire Karas OVA...
minhtam1638 is offline  
Old 2007-11-28, 05:37   Link #47
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
O.o Good luck finishing your list...!

That said, are you taking on any new series recommendations, or just the order? XP

I recommend you watch Lucky Star sooner after Haruhi, those 2 are some of the finest comedies recently. Plus, Lucky Star draws pretty frequently on Haruhi for humor, highly recommended. Also, Hayate no Gotoku (Hayate the Combat Butler, even though its kinda an inaccurate translation IMO), should probably be moved up. If you liked Zero no Tsukaima, think of this series as a better version. You get the same awesome tsundere female main with the same seiyuu (Kugimiya Rie is the queen of tsundere lolis with Shana+Louise+Nagi) and roughly the same attitude, but better humor

Evangelion should definitely be moved up as well. The art and animation suffers after 12 years and it's going to be hard finding subbed torrents with enough seeds, but trust me its worth it. If it wasn't for this series, I frankly wouldn't be here today.

With so many series, especially epics like Jyuuni Kokuki (45 eps) and FMP! (49 eps), it might be a good idea to watch the (IMHO superior) Air movie instead. It was better animated, more visually appealing, and better directed. Doesn't really feature any of the side characters, but they just convolute the plot.

If you ever feel like some drama/romance to clear your palette of all this Shounen, I recommend Sola (13 eps), Iriya no Sora (6 eps, source of avatar/sig), and Hanbun Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (6 eps). Marathon the last 2 and I guarantee you cry.
__________________

Last edited by tripperazn; 2007-11-28 at 05:48.
tripperazn is offline  
Old 2007-11-28, 06:19   Link #48
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
With so many series, especially epics like Jyuuni Kokuki (45 eps) and FMP! (49 eps), it might be a good idea to watch the (IMHO superior) Air movie instead. It was better animated, more visually appealing, and better directed. Doesn't really feature any of the side characters, but they just convolute the plot..
Wait...better animated than KyoAni? That doesn't even sound plausible. And the movie isn't nearly as unique either....

At Shana-dude: I was thinking of watching Karas too. Both DVDs are pretty cheap (buy them together w/ box for 25) so I thought of buying them yesterday. Either way, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

EDIT @ tripperz: XD you listed 3 shows in a row all with 'SoRa' in the title XD
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline  
Old 2007-11-28, 06:41   Link #49
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Wait...better animated than KyoAni? That doesn't even sound plausible. And the movie isn't nearly as unique either....
Oh...damn, I was thinking about Kanon with Toei vs KyoAni >.<
I still like the movie better because of its brevity and focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
EDIT @ tripperz: XD you listed 3 shows in a row all with 'SoRa' in the title XD
Yeah, especially because of how I repeatedly recommend these 3 series...I need to come up with a name for this trio. Even though "sola" comes from Italian, it is a wordplay on 空 ("sora" as in sky). They're just so underrated...especially Iriya.
__________________
tripperazn is offline  
Old 2007-11-28, 10:01   Link #50
Frans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR boost back to Cowboy Bebop, but by all means, cut off all the rest cuz they kinda suk. BTW, when are you gunna actually start watching all this stuff?
Cowboy Bebop is indeed a good show, but that doesn't mean the others are suck. Gundam Seed is one of the best mecha show, Major for me is one of the best sport anime. I cry more in Major (1st season) than when watching Iriya no Sora and HanTsuki combined... and cry not only because of the heartbreaking moments, but also the heartwarming moments too. For me, I certainly would put Major ahead of Cowboy Bebop because Major is simply the more exciting and engaging show. But that's just me of course

Now, I get the feeling that you will like Ghost Hunt, and maybe you will like Nodame Cantabile.

Anyways, try a couple of episodes of these animes then judge it by yourself.
Frans is offline  
Old 2007-11-28, 14:36   Link #51
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
for the record, I dropped Sola 6 episodes in. I liked the emotions and stuff, the characters were all fine, but the writing just really got to me. Plotholes and cheesiness were too much to bear. If you can get past that, it's probably a pretty good show, but I just couldn't deal with it (and yet, I managed to watch all of Shana... but that started off really well anyway)

Frans, in all honestly, I've never seen Major, nor even heard of it (same goes for Zegapin) however, I can confidently discredit Gundam SEED. I've barely seen any of it, but what I saw was horrible. For good mech shows, watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Diebuster for great justice.
Deus ex Digital Boy is offline  
Old 2007-11-28, 15:00   Link #52
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
for the record, I dropped Sola 6 episodes in. I liked the emotions and stuff, the characters were all fine, but the writing just really got to me. Plotholes and cheesiness were too much to bear. If you can get past that, it's probably a pretty good show, but I just couldn't deal with it (and yet, I managed to watch all of Shana... but that started off really well anyway)

Frans, in all honestly, I've never seen Major, nor even heard of it (same goes for Zegapin) however, I can confidently discredit Gundam SEED. I've barely seen any of it, but what I saw was horrible. For good mech shows, watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Diebuster for great justice.
All three series suffer from plot holes pretty much by being what they are- short OVA series. Agreed, Sola could have definitely been better written, but the characters (read: Matsuri) redeem the writing IMO.

As someone who has slogged through all ~100 episodes of SEED+Destiny, I can tell you that while SEED might be worth a try, Destiny is a complete waste of time. It essentially repeats the storyline with more annoying characters, even the old characters get more annoying (Kira especially).
__________________
tripperazn is offline  
Old 2007-11-28, 17:23   Link #53
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Been a bit busy as of late, so I'll update the list once I'm free.

There is one thing I'll say however: (well, actually two things)

1. I can give a chance to a sport anime, but I'm not really a fan of that kind of ordeal.

2. For the Toei vs. KyoAni debate, for all shows within that range, I will be using KyoAni.
minhtam1638 is offline  
Old 2007-11-29, 20:39   Link #54
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
List updated. In addition to new and returning recommendations, School Rumble has also been added.

Also, depending on how the next month goes, with exams on the loom and homework to catch up on, I may or may not be moving up Rozen Maiden and locking it early, since most of those characters are needed to do a special fan fiction I'm working on.
minhtam1638 is offline  
Old 2007-11-29, 21:19   Link #55
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
The following is a crappy cut 'n paste from my anime list. I've watched more than this as this is just a list of what I own, but it'll do anyways since I've liked most of them. Anything with (!) means it's fully recommended. The number below the series' title is the number of episodes (too lazy to edit it properly).

Oh, and my number one recommendation: Neon Genesis Evangelion (26 episodes + 2 movies). You can't miss that one.

Spoiler:
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline  
Old 2007-11-30, 12:51   Link #56
Frans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Zegapain is good. The strength of the show lies in the story. The biggest problem I have with Zegapain is that the mech is very CG-ey. I don't hate the CG look, but I prefer the regular anime look.
Btw, if you don't like sport anime, you don't have to force it to your list. I just don't agree on the suck part.
If you like the chemistry between Shana and Yuji, maybe you'll like Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase. The caveat is that the fighting isn't as intense as Shakugan no Shana.
If you like the Rozen Maiden loli goth look, you should take a look at Le Portrait de Petite Cossette.. it's a dark anime with some gore in it. Only 3 eps though.
Frans is offline  
Old 2007-11-30, 12:57   Link #57
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
If you like the Rozen Maiden loli goth look, you should take a look at Le Portrait de Petite Cossette.. it's a dark anime with some gore in it. Only 3 eps though.
You do know that Rozen Maiden is far more than loli goth look, right?
It is not even a dark anime to start with!

On a side note, I just finally got my chance to marathon Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha.
I suggest watching something really light hearted (Lucky Star) before you start on the first series.

I had just watched Clannad's episode 8 (well, not JUST, but a week ago ) and catching up on Higurashi... it made Nanoha's light heartness start almost a tad unbearable to me.

Had to keep whacking my head and telling myself, "they are just Gr. 3!!"
__________________

Last edited by MaxwellDemon; 2007-11-30 at 13:09.
MaxwellDemon is offline  
Old 2007-11-30, 14:46   Link #58
Frans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Yes, I know Rozen Maiden is more than just loli goth.. But Cossette is still a good anime. I suggest it because he want to do some fanfiction on the Rozen Maiden characters, so I figure that maybe you could throw Cossette in it. I'm not sure if it will fits, but the anime itself as I said is only 3 eps, so at most you're only losing 1 1/2 hours.
And although Rozen Maiden isn't a dark anime, but it does have a somewhat dark atmosphere.. and they should made a new season or at least an epilogue. Afaik it comes from manga, and I believe the manga isn't finished when they made the anime.

@WanderingKnight
If you haven't watch Nodame Cantabile, then you should really watch it. It's kinda like HnC (at least in the setting and the graphic style), but a lot more engaging.
Frans is offline  
Old 2007-11-30, 14:52   Link #59
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
Yes, I know Rozen Maiden is more than just loli goth.. But Cossette is still a good anime. I suggest it because he want to do some fanfiction on the Rozen Maiden characters, so I figure that maybe you could throw Cossette in it. I'm not sure if it will fits, but the anime itself as I said is only 3 eps, so at most you're only losing 1 1/2 hours.
And although Rozen Maiden isn't a dark anime, but it does have a somewhat dark atmosphere.. and they should made a new season or at least an epilogue. Afaik it comes from manga, and I believe the manga isn't finished when they made the anime.
Oh, it is just that he wants to have a deeper understanding of the RM characters because he is planning to write a fanfiction basing on the moe tournaments that took part this year.

Peach-Pit had already put the stop on the manga, by the way. It might be open ended (this really isn't the place to discuss this actually XD), but if it ever resumes, due to the ending, it'll have to be 20 or 30 years later in the RM timeline.

Now, the only need is that the animation company dealing with RM has to put a proper end to RM due to the continuation ending that placed at the end of Traumend.

Anyway, sorry minhtam! Didn't mean to turn your suggestion thread to a RM discussion topic.
__________________
MaxwellDemon is offline  
Old 2007-11-30, 14:56   Link #60
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase added.

Le Portrait de Petit Cossette... the title sounds Mona-Lisa-daughter like to me. Anyway, also added.

And the fan-fiction, as much as I would like to add everyone, is based NOT on Rozen Maiden, but on the events of Japan's Saimoe 2006 and Korea's Saimoe 2006, and the emphasized focus on the Rozen Maiden dolls is only because Suiseiseki swept both tournaments, so even though I will get to all of the anime that you guys suggested eventually, those characters that I have picked for the fan fiction are generally set.
minhtam1638 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.