AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-01-25, 20:51   Link #1
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Midi

is there anyway to take a piece of an mp3 song and convert tat little piece into a midi file?? Also is there a good site where they'll let u upload midi files and link to them??
Old 2004-01-25, 21:02   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Uh, MIDI files are programmed sequences of virtual instruments playing notes, whereas MP3s are waves of the actual music. You can go from MIDI to MP3, but not the other way around without considerable effort.

You can upload MIDI files to any old website.
Old 2004-01-25, 21:11   Link #3
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Uh, MIDI files are programmed sequences of virtual instruments playing notes, whereas MP3s are waves of the actual music. You can go from MIDI to MP3, but not the other way around without considerable effort.

You can upload MIDI files to any old website.
i thought so. Is there a way to kinda take part of the mp3 and rip it out? Im trying to upload a song, but its part of 1 track with several songs in them. If you cant go to midi, is there anyway to go to some other form of music file?? Most sites wont let me upload mp3s.... afraid of piracy.
Old 2004-01-25, 21:32   Link #4
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

You can convert them to Ogg Vorbis (although it will decrease quality because MP3 is lossy)... or try just renaming the file to perfectlyinnocentpicture.jpg and see if they will take it
Old 2004-01-26, 01:42   Link #5
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
----> Music.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 01:47   Link #6
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

does anyone know how?
Old 2004-01-26, 04:46   Link #7
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Note: renamed the thread "How to convert Mp3 to Midi?" (was: Midi) to make it more relevant.
Old 2004-01-26, 05:19   Link #8
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
does anyone know how?
You are not very clear about what you are trying to acheive... If you want to extract parts of an MP3 file (with out loss of quality) use something like mp3Trim...

If you really want to make a midi from an MP3, buy a midi authoring package and learn how to "scribe music by ear" using it...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 05:46   Link #9
Cruzz
Europeon

And if you want to convert it to another format (which is not midi or some other instrument based format), use BeSweet or possibly the Foobar2000 diskwriter plugins.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 11:39   Link #10
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

thank u 4 all the help
Old 2004-01-26, 11:56   Link #11
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
is there anyway to go to some other form of music file?? Most sites wont let me upload mp3s.... afraid of piracy.
Why don't you create a ZIP or a RAR file of the MP3? I would think that most sites would let you host those? (Well, they might not out of the same fear... but that would be pretty silly.) It's pretty common practice, and should work fine...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 14:25   Link #12
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

I don't think it's possible...

For what I know, us Japanese work and work hard to train our ears to do "mimikopi-" (ear copy) by "copying the song note by note, instrument by instrument to MIDI with the tool of your own ear."

A good example of this would be the numerous songs in ero-games that have been converted into BM98 midis through a very prolific "mimikopi-" master...
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 15:55   Link #13
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

Quote:
For what I know, us Japanese work and work hard to train our ears to do "mimikopi-"
Erm... I know how much you absolutely love to point out the fact that you're Japanese, but should you make it sound like every Japanese person (and no one other than Japanese people) knows how to copy a song just by hearing it?
LiQuid|J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 16:00   Link #14
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
Erm... I know how much you absolutely love to point out the fact that you're Japanese, but should you make it sound like every Japanese person (and no one other than Japanese people) knows how to copy a song just by hearing it?
No, I am reiterating the fact that if you really want to go from mp3 to MIDI, the only way is to do it is with toil and effort.

But if there is a simpler way to do it, I am interested to know.

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-01-26 at 16:12.
Old 2004-01-26, 16:29   Link #15
EtherNEZ
AIR is good for you

I doubt it. Toil and effort IS the only way

Short of some seriously CPU (as in supercomputer grade) intensive Fourier analysis and neural networks far more sophisticated than we have now, converting most audio files to MIDI isn't a realistic proposition.

Of course, if your mp3 is monoaural, it's easy.... but I suspect that's unlikely to be the case
EtherNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 16:52   Link #16
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid|J
Um... it sounded like kj1980 was pointing out that it's difficult for Japanese people at least to train themselves ear recognition...

Anyways, for some people, transcribing by ear is easy. For some, it's not. Just as some people have absolute pitch and some don't. Sure, you can train someone to eventually get the rudiments of absolute pitch, but he/she'll never be able to equal someone who was trained when small.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 18:30   Link #17
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
No, I am reiterating the fact that if you really want to go from mp3 to MIDI, the only way is to do it is with toil and effort.

But if there is a simpler way to do it, I am interested to know.
As far as i know, american(or... at least i think) cellphone companies do MIDI versions of songs all the time..just not the whole thing. No, those are not mp3s, you wouldn't be able to fit thousands onto it, along with the tons of other crap they put on it. Technology these days...
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 18:58   Link #18
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
As far as i know, american(or... at least i think) cellphone companies do MIDI versions of songs all the time..just not the whole thing. No, those are not mp3s, you wouldn't be able to fit thousands onto it, along with the tons of other crap they put on it. Technology these days...
Don't worry. As far as I know about lagging American cell phone technology, you'll have our mp3-into-flash-media capable cell phones in a year or so.
Old 2004-01-26, 19:05   Link #19
EtherNEZ
AIR is good for you

If you have the music score, then there's no need to convert from mp3 to MIDI, and I would strongly suspect many cellphone MIDI's (or whatever other format they may be) are produced as such. If not, it would still take considerable effort to do it as kj1980 pointed out.

Additionally, you could hardly call those particular MIDI's sophisticated or even (as you say) complete, i.e ) not having all the instrument parts of the entire peice (not to mention sounding completely rubbish)

A properly scripted MIDI produced with much care and attention to detail and played using the most advanced modern synthesiser boxes can be more or less indistinguishable from the mp3 version (minus vocals of course ) - although it's a matter of perception I suppose. Who needs musicians??? (j/k) (you can't beat real musicians whatever I happen to say here)

Ultimately, if you have the hardware, the MIDI version can stand up to the mp3... but if you don't, it will sound completely unrealisitic - (points at M$'s internal MIDI synth... ) and as most people don't have the hardware.... and no, even the best PC sound cards aren't really up to the job
EtherNEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-26, 19:24   Link #20
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

Let me give you an example on how many ero-game/anime companies make their music.

Most of the time, they have one music composer using a KORG (or Yamaha, etc...) MIDI synthesizer that can range as low as 80,000 yen (USD$800) to over 300,000 yen (USD$3000).

On a typical soundtrack, they use anywhere from 8 to 15 different tracks of instruments. It can be wind chimes to low bass strings and a rythym beat. And every MIDI engine can reproduce different effects. A MIDI score written on a Yamaha synthesizer may not reproduce the same effects from say....a Roland MIDI engine.

Well up to this part, everything is done via MIDI synthesizer.

The problem lies in where the MIDI recordings are then transferred onto an analogue MTR for further editing (sound panning, etc) on a computer software. This is where, in a sense, "the MIDI stops being a MIDI and becoming a WAV file."
And this is where the problem lies as while fairly simple to transfer a MIDI to a WAV via analogue recording, you can't go from an audio of a WAV file to a digitized synthesized music reproduction in a form of a MIDI.

A very bad analogy would be: "It is simple to turn a gold bar for usage into computer transistors, but it would be difficult to take the computer transistors back into a pure gold bar."

....Wow...all these bad examples show how bad I really am at explaining things.