AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 19 13.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 20.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 19.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 17.65%
6 out of 10 : Average 19 13.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 3.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.94%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 2.21%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 2.94%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.94%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-11-28, 10:48   Link #281
Tangerine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chile
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I'd assume Cleopatra was looking hot (at least, for her time) in whatever dress she's wearing as head of state.

@ Tangerine:
Any chance for a standard deviation? Oh, and I assume those averages (except perhaps for 00) are for the entire series, not just the first 7 episodes?
yep, they are for the entire series, except for 00.
Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 11:10   Link #282
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I'd assume Cleopatra was looking hot (at least, for her time) in whatever dress she's wearing as head of state.
Actually, records indicate that Cleopatra was successful and seductive despite her looks, not because of them. Was supposed to have had a rather honking nose, if you get what I mean.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 11:18   Link #283
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Actually, records indicate that Cleopatra was successful and seductive despite her looks, not because of them. Was supposed to have had a rather honking nose, if you get what I mean.
Maybe a bad example, then. But I didn't intend to connect how a person look with how successful she would do. The point is, Cleopatra was apparently seductive, and Marina is apparently is hot. Similar things.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 11:35   Link #284
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Can someone tell me one LOGICAL reason about why Setsuna (or Kamal or whatever he's named) told Azadistan's chick leader (forgot her name) about his identity? Did he fell in love with her because of the dress and wanted to show off a bit?
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 11:53   Link #285
Wal Ouran Leviathan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Can someone tell me one LOGICAL reason about why Setsuna (or Kamal or whatever he's named) told Azadistan's chick leader (forgot her name) about his identity? Did he fell in love with her because of the dress and wanted to show off a bit?
I think it was just an impulsive warning, since her country is so messed up and she just mentionned that if it continues like that CB will go there, Setsuna wanted to confirm that. And since he seems to have a grudge against the nation that invaded his country, it just makes his determination clearer.

Doesn't look like a logical reason, but emotions are rarely logical
Wal Ouran Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 12:04   Link #286
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wal Ouran Leviathan View Post
I think it was just an impulsive warning, since her country is so messed up and she just mentionned that if it continues like that CB will go there, Setsuna wanted to confirm that. And since he seems to have a grudge against the nation that invaded his country, it just makes his determination clearer.

Doesn't look like a logical reason, but emotions are rarely logical
Well you except lots of logic from a "Celestial Being"... am i wrong?
Setsuna isn't cut for the role because he's too young and so too impulsive IMHO.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 15:21   Link #287
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well, to hopefully come at the episode from a more positive tack (not that I think the episode was especially bad or anything), I want to say that I felt Sunrise handled something particularly well. If people remember how I said the "Let's go swimming scene" was a result of Sumeragi trying to provide a distraction for Felt and Christina so they don't become desensitized to violence. Tthis ties in with last episode and how she was implied by the camera work to be worried about them after her talk with Wang that showed Wang to be completely without any connection for those who sacrificed themselves for the Moralian cause. Basically no respect for the opponent, which is normally a part of a general warriors code. A lot of people seemed to get the impression this was a result of them not even caring about the battle or those who may lose there lives, but I feel it was the exact opposite and that it was a brief reprieve so that when the times really comes for an enormous amount of bloodshed they will still care. I also feel that Sunrise did a great job of fulfilling the fanservice quota, while at the same time linking it to a character development element so it isn't just random, so good job there.

Though one has to argue if Sumeragi IS doing the right thing for the two in all this or if it will be too much for them later on.

See what it does for the show when you think about why things are happening instead of just assuming that everythings gone horribly awry because it isn't exactly what people had in mind. I recommend people at least try this approach if they are having trouble getting into the show. To those same people, at least give Gundam 00 the proper courtesy to suspend your disbelief like pretty much every form of media on the planet expects, and go at it from it's own structured frame of exposition rather then another shows. Gundam 00 gives the viewer so many things to discuss, but it's up to the viewer to take that opportunity rather then leave it. This is the final thing I have to say on this current thread.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 15:25   Link #288
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Can someone tell me one LOGICAL reason about why Setsuna (or Kamal or whatever he's named) told Azadistan's chick leader (forgot her name) about his identity? Did he fell in love with her because of the dress and wanted to show off a bit?
He was trying to scare her to get back at her for being Azadistani. And annoying to boot. (You'd think that the gratefulness he should have felt for stupidly pulling him out of the mess his stupidity and sheer incompetence had gotten him into would have lasted longer, but whatever...)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 16:57   Link #289
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He was trying to scare her to get back at her for being Azadistani. And annoying to boot. (You'd think that the gratefulness he should have felt for stupidly pulling him out of the mess his stupidity and sheer incompetence had gotten him into would have lasted longer, but whatever...)
Ok I understand that much but... how can I say it: you except that kind of behaviour from a teenager, not from a guy who is supposed to change the world.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 16:58   Link #290
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
He is a teenager.

And he's not exactly supposed to change the world. He's supposed to be a tool. (In several meanings of the word...)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 17:39   Link #291
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He is a teenager.

And he's not exactly supposed to change the world. He's supposed to be a tool. (In several meanings of the word...)
Oh he's a teenager? I don't think your evrey day teenager has ever fought any kind of war is one of the top member of a secret organization. From a guy like that the self-control is an obvious thing to have while he totally lacks it. He's a teenager just for the age, but it's only a formality.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 18:51   Link #292
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Oh he's a teenager? I don't think your evrey day teenager has ever fought any kind of war is one of the top member of a secret organization. From a guy like that the self-control is an obvious thing to have while he totally lacks it. He's a teenager just for the age, but it's only a formality.
Teenager is an age, not a state of mind. Child soldiers can become teenagers, even if they don't hang out with friends are lust after singers or what not.

Besides, Setsuna has shown self-control in most matters except on two occasions so far; when he wanted to confirm Ali's identity completely, and in the article in question. It wasn't Setsuna who started talking about the Class-S solar furnaces in public at an orbital tower, after all.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 19:33   Link #293
hamstar
just passing by
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Exia
setsuna basically crossed the threshold bold-ness and idiocy.

1. he came out of his cockpit endangering a mission.
2. revealed his identity completely to a stranger.

He can do ANYTHING and get away with it.

next episode it will be:

- setsuna grabs sumeragi's titties or smacks one of the CB girl's ass, then casually walk away from it like it's not a big deal.
__________________
hamstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 19:51   Link #294
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post

next episode it will be:

- setsuna grabs sumeragi's titties or smacks one of the CB girl's ass, then casually walk away from it like it's not a big deal.
Clearly not.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 20:37   Link #295
DeotoxSlayer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
LOL wonder who drew that
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 21:34   Link #296
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 25
Well finally saw the sub, and well it was good episode but could have been done better. Though I thought that the meeting between Setsuna and Marina was forced and well Setsuna saying that he is Gundam Meister to Marina was also forced. Looking at Setsuna's previous action he seems to let his emotion control him and I guess he got angry at Marina's idea of foreign policy and in order to threaten her he decide to tell that he was a Gundam Meister. I suppose that reason somewhat supports that Setsuna's action isn't random.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 22:19   Link #297
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Possibly.

8th MS team has the Glacier + Beam Saber = Hot spring episode. Though there was a lack of swimsuits.
Aina was wearing a black bikini when I saw it on Adult Swim...
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 23:03   Link #298
Pride
Ore, Sanjou!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Britannia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Aina was wearing a black bikini when I saw it on Adult Swim...
They censored it, duh.
Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 23:16   Link #299
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Well I think we can all agree (for those who found this ep pretty bad) that the way they swept the premise of the indiscriminate terrorism plot under the rug was poorly written and poorly planned...The contrived situation with Setsuna and Marina only served to add to the poorness (something that could have been tolerated if the rest of the ep wasn't so badly executed)..That said I wanna move on to something else...
From the creators' points of view, the meeting between our leads was the main (indeed, only) point of the episode. The entire terrorist subplot only existed to bring them together. Part of the reason it turned out so poorly is that they had effectively written themselves into a corner, and needed lots of handwaving to get out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays
I also felt that the circumstances in which things occured happened to be totally out of the norm for Gundam 00, and reminded me of previous Gundams (SEED and Destiny). The meeting with Setsuna and the princess was terrible written and far to cliched for my tastes.
Based on the requirements of the story, and the constraints the creators made on the story, it was sort of inevitable that the meeting was going to turn out badly. While it may be possible that there are ways that it could have been written better, they would certainly have taken that opportunity if they could think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling
So, I'd like to butt in on the plausibility of the three powers not destroying the terrorists themselves.

As was indicated in the show (briefly), they were apparently environmental extremist. I think they could have been somewhat analogous to our own Greenpeace, right now. The issue with attacking those groups is that some of the general populace will sympathise with their cause.
Once a group uses unrestrained violence to attack a country, that country basically receives casus belli to do whatever they want to the instigating party. Generally, this free hand can be used to garner a great deal of public support and grants power to the rulers. In effect, countries gain quite a bit by letting everyone know that they plan to use force themselves.

Besides, France blew up Rainbow Warrior for much much less cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling
When I saw the end of episode 7 I thought the terrorists would either be sponsored by the three powers themselves or a recently created group of people reacting specifically to Celestial Being. Some environmental extremists acting outside of the modus operandi was really quite outside of my expectations.
I think that the creators may pick up the story thread of the terrorists' sponsor at a later date. However, the sheer convenience written into the story doesn't exactly get my hopes up that it'll be handled very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
and crushing a terrorist group is still a good thing for the civilians anyway. It may not give CB much praise from the civilians, but it will not make the people hate CB any more neither.
Basically, the power blocs stood to gain plenty by being seen to attack the terrorists, and to gain nothing by manipulating Celestial Being into doing so. By the way, I'm not sure if anyone's pointed it out, but the terrorist bases were in the Marshall Islands and Guyana which is actually in HRL and Union territory respectively; so it was by no means in neutral territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Well, to hopefully come at the episode from a more positive tack (not that I think the episode was especially bad or anything), I want to say that I felt Sunrise handled something particularly well. If people remember how I said the "Let's go swimming scene" was a result of Sumeragi trying to provide a distraction for Felt and Christina so they don't become desensitized to violence.
You're probably reading too much into it. One doesn't keep someone from being desensitized by ignoring the fact that they're going to kill people. Besides, it was obvious that the scenes were purely for fanservice - Sumeragi even pointed it out earlier . Personally, I'm rather pleased that the creators decided to be so blatantly honest.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...

Last edited by 4Tran; 2007-11-29 at 00:48.
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 00:05   Link #300
Honey_and_Cleaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
^
Im glad some people notice how bad the script writing are, plots are certainly screwed up, almost they made the show as a requirement and a promotion to the gundam sales, i wish they do get to the real stuff, like real interactive relationship, Allelujah picking up the pink hair girl or Lockon hitting on Sumeragi and getting slapped in the face.

Abraham past or anybodies past, what inspired their motives and more romance not only on the singular characters, so far i see cheap dog love between Louise and Saji, almost no other people in the world are capable of picking up girls, or probrably that damn girl fan service is sticking in
peoples butt. Sometimes i hate the female fan service just as much as the male fan service do. I wanna see Graham or Tiere grabbing some girls ass or the old man Sergei has the loli chasing him on the bed. All i can see, is nerd satisfaction *points at Saji*.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.