AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2015-12-03, 04:24   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 809 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler info is out! Credit goes to various folks over at AP for the info:

-Chapter title is "Master Nekomamushi (Cat Viper). No splash info yet (pretty sure we get a color page, though).

-After some more talk of Caesar's weapons, Duke Inuarashi points out Luffy's hat, saying it looks good on him. He then reminisces about the past. It seems that in his younger days, both he and Nekomamushi traveled the seas, and Inuarashi met Shanks during his travels.

-After finishing his story, the good duke falls asleep. Wanda then takes the time to explain the country's ruling system. There are two rulers: Inuarashi, who's the "official" ruler, and Nekomamushi, who is equal to the duke in strength and protects the Whale Forest. The duke's faction is active during the day, while the cat's group is active at night. Unfortunately, it seems that both rulers don't get along at all, to the point that they even try to kill each other! However, long ago, the two of them used to be the best of friends....

-As he falls asleep, Sicilian of the 3 Musketeers has his own recollection of Jack's assault on the country. Wanda, Carrot, and the Musketeers (the other two seem to be a zebra and what looks like a fox or hyena, BTW) battle Jack's forces, who have strange powers (seems one of them can turn his arms into wolves). Inuarashi then arrives and tries to talk the pirate leader out of the attack, but Jack refuses, saying that he loves causing destruction. However, he does agree to stop fighting if the minks hand over the samurai. What's more, it's around here that we learn Jack's bounty..... ONE. BILLION. BERRY.

-It's at this point that 6 PM arrives.... meaning that it's Nekomamushi's turn to take on Jack. Inuarashi has his own forces retreat, saying that they will not fight alongside the other faction. On the plus side, switching their forces between day and night shifts means the minks can fight endlessly without letting their enemies rest. Soon, a wild-looking cat man appears.... the Guardian Deity of the Whale Forest, Master Nekomamushi! Soon, the second ruler starts laying the smackdown on Jack's forces, and even literally tosses Jack himself! He tells the pirate that no samurai are on the island, and even if there were, he'd kill them himself. After taking the cat-viper's attack, Jack returns to his human body, which we only see through a silhouette....!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-12-03 at 04:46.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 04:49   Link #2
marvelB

Okay, finished up the summary! Credit goes to AP's FranzLome for the info! So damn, despite going up against a bounty head worth a freaking billion, those minks just don't give the slightest crap and beat up his forces, anyway. Guess THAT'S the reason why we don't see too many minks sailing the seas.... they're just too friggin' strong, lol.
Old 2015-12-03, 05:12   Link #3
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

We had confirmation of One Piece Film "Gold" this week also, didn't we? Or does that belong in a new thread? Really excited about that! Premiers in Japan on July 23rd, 2016.

The hype train is pulling into the station everybody!
PixelCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 05:22   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelCreek View Post
We had confirmation of One Piece Film "Gold" this week also, didn't we? Or does that belong in a new thread? Really excited about that!

Yup, already posted about that here. Already gave the reason why I didn't make a thread for it yet in that post, too. Maybe we'll get some more info before this year is up though, who knows.
Old 2015-12-03, 13:09   Link #5
Blackbeard D. Kuma

It's nice to finally have a nation that can defend itself from enemy invasions.

Jack's bounty is insanely high, but I can't say I'm shocked by that revelation. Ace acquired a bounty of 550 million in roughly 2 years time, so it makes sense that the senior top subordinates of an emperor would have ridiculously huge prices on their heads.
Old 2015-12-03, 13:21   Link #6
Gilly

ONE BILLION BERRIES!

Cat Viper looks really badass, which redeems the chapter in my eyes if it's all about Minks fighting Jack and his goons. Seriously, they don't even use Caesar's weapon in this chapter. How long is this flashback going to last?

And still no Sanji, of course.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 14:28   Link #7
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Boy this Arc is starting off slow, hopefully it pays off later on cuz so far I have not been enjoying it. The past couple of chapters of this Arc have been boring in my opinion. I am looking forward Luffy V.S Jack fight, I assume that's what we are leading up to and what happened to Sanji LOL Another Arc with Sanji missing, wonder how long hey'll be gone this time? Hope we actually get some thing good from out of this Arc, last one really didn't give us any thing regarding his character.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 16:42   Link #8
Rainbowman

With that one billion bounty, are there any DBZ characters that had a billion power level that we could compare to?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 19:00   Link #9
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
With that one billion bounty, are there any DBZ characters that had a billion power level that we could compare to?
Bounties aren't a direct measure of strength. I think it's safe to say one of the reasons Jack's bounty is so high is because he loves causing destruction and picking fights wherever he goes. He's a huge nuisance for the WG. So that one billion bounty isn't necessarily reflective of Jack being twice as strong as Luffy, for instance.

Nonetheless, Jack is being hyped up big time right now.
Old 2015-12-03, 21:08   Link #10
itachi-san314

Did Robin really just figure out that Caesar manufactured weapons, Mingo distributed them and Kaido bought them?
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-04, 00:19   Link #11
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma
Nonetheless, Jack is being hyped up big time right now.
It's a weird situation with Jack. He's constantly being hyped up and downplayed at the same time. Last chapter was already a hint, but I did not expect the Mink leaders to be that strong. I like it though. Another good chapter. Next week we'll likely see that weapon.
Old 2015-12-04, 01:31   Link #12
ChaosPaladin
Bringer of Order & Chaos

no chapter next week. the next chapter will be in next year.

i really like this chapter, it is so exciting to see an all out battle tt is about equal in strength. we got our 3 musketeers in this chap and i guess we might see more reference to 3 musketeers soon
ChaosPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-04, 01:57   Link #13
Gilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Did Robin really just figure out that Caesar manufactured weapons, Mingo distributed them and Kaido bought them?
It must be Oda's way to make sure his readers don't get confused.

Sigh... We're barely 10 chapters into this arc and this is the third break. And there will be more due to Christmas. Guess we really won't see Sanji until next year.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-04, 03:32   Link #14
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I think that was just a VERY clunky recap to make sure readers have not lost track of what's been going on between punkhazard, dressrosa, and Zou. This plotline has been going on for a couple of years now.
Old 2015-12-04, 05:47   Link #15
BPD Renegade

Wtf?! 1 billion berries? If this is how much his subordinate is worth, how much can we expect Kaidou, or any of the other yonkous, to have on his head?
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-04, 08:30   Link #16
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I like this mink tribe and island

usually, we got a story when native people got invaded by pirates and got ruled unfairly
but in this island, they are actually fight back and make fun of Kaido's crew
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-04, 13:44   Link #17
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
Wtf?! 1 billion berries? If this is how much his subordinate is worth, how much can we expect Kaidou, or any of the other yonkous, to have on his head?
10+ Most likely. After taking down Big Mom, Luffy is going to get a billion as well probably. Now the question is, does the captain(Yonko)'s bounty increase if his crew members/subordinates do naughty things ? If yes, then it's no surprise.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-04, 19:31   Link #18
marvelB

As far as Jack's build-up goes, I think it actually makes sense that he has such a huge bounty. I mean yeah, it looks like he's bitten off more than he can chew at a couple of points, but that's exactly it.... his outrageous recklessness is the reason for his bounty. It's to the point that he's literally called a "disaster". I mean, the guy himself even says he loves to cause destruction. In a way, it's a similar case as with Blackbeard.... just because he wasn't invincible didn't mean he was any less of a threat who caused widespread mayhem.... and now look! He's one of the emperors! So yeah, I think that particular trait is the reason why Jack's bounty is justified.

Also, as was already mentioned, it really is cool for a change to see a nation that's capable of fending off attacks from such powerful pirates. Like I said earlier, their strength could easily be one of the reasons why we don't see many minks outside of their homeland.... because I could see these guys dominating a good chunk of the New World, lol.
Old 2015-12-04, 21:19   Link #19
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

Well the Shandians protected their homeland for hundreds of years also. Probably not as well as the Mink people (or at the 1 billion bounty scale of protection), but it's more or less all been seen before when it comes to One Piece. Hope this is leading towards something really "out of the box" as opposed to all the recycled story we've gotten lately.
PixelCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-05, 01:00   Link #20
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
No, the recycled story is great. It's like poetry, it rhymes. :P

No, but honestly, I think Oda mixes it up enough, it's a good balance. Especially the many parallels of part 2 compared to part 1 is a narrative tool that in German literary science is called "doppelter Kursus". A few medieval epic poems like "Erec" are based around that idea. In the case of Erec, the hero starts out as an unexperienced knight and is on a journey to become the perfect ruler. But at the end of his first adventure, he ultimately fails, so he has to learn from his mistakes on a second adventure, reliving a lot of similar situations. This time he makes the right decisions and learns the lessons he previously didn't, which allows him to resemble the ideal example of a ruler and knight at the end. All the while, King Arthas is the idol he's looking up to. Since he's already at the point Erec wants to reach.

Last edited by ZGoten; 2015-12-05 at 01:19.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote