AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-11-30, 22:35   Link #21
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Oh don't get me wrong they've died a couple of times, but old school joysticks are easy to repair. I can do regular electronics ie PCB etching and soldering I've replaced the PCB once on one. They're very simple circuits. I open up a modern joystick and I wouldn't know where to start, there's a whole host of microchips etc etc that is beyond my scope. The actual housing of one joystick is all that's original. The other one is as it was in the 80's.

this is what a schematic of an 80's style joystick is basically (see the last pic on that page, fire button top left, 4 contact points for up down left right)
http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/joystick.htm
There's really nothing that can go wrong, modern joysticks are much much more responsive and require more circuitry making them less durable. But it'd be horrible to play anything new on something like the old atari joystick. You'd be dead man walking in FPS and there's just not enough accuracy/response for any flight sim

What I'd really like to build one day is a proper arcade machine like this but with a working coin slot
http://members.shaw.ca/kevinu/arcade/
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-02, 08:00   Link #22
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I used to have a 16bit IBM clone 8088 machine. I can't use the own Telex machine that my family once had though.

When it comes to old technology, Telnet being 'still alive' as well as WEP to me are puzzling.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-02, 15:59   Link #23
ujiuji

Not domestic equipment, but until three months ago my workplace used an early eighties Lear-Siegler ADM5 terminal to talk to a Bridgeport CNC machine via a 20mA current loop interface. It's now been replaced with a PC which enables us to upload programs as well. Before we used paper tape for that.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-02, 21:40   Link #24
Kyomi
What do I know?

How about a working TurboGrafx-16? O.o
Old 2007-12-03, 13:20   Link #25
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Nice thread, but I don't think it belongs in Download Help. The Tech Support forum might not be much better, but at least it won't get to overshadowed by other topics here (unlike what I fear would happen if I moved it to General Chat).

Anyway, I like to upgrade stuff from time to time, but the oldest equipment I still use daily for anime watching would be my Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 surround set (including DD5.1 decoder) from Creative. I'm not sure how long ago I bought it, but (according to some Googling) this set was introduced in 2000, so I must have gotten it around that time.

Other than that, most of my electronic equipment that I still use was bought in or after 2004. Most computer/entertainment equipment is even newer: from mid-2006 or later (that includes things like PC, TV, game consoles, iPod, etc).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 14:45   Link #26
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

That card is still considered very high quality. FYI. Very nice.
Old 2007-12-03, 17:14   Link #27
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Speakers don't become outdated quickly. Even if there's Dolby decoder unit that does age, it can hold up its value longer than even most peripherals.

Mine's the Gigawork S750 :P

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-12-03, 20:01   Link #28
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

My home has a working Panasonic LaserDisc player and a really old VCR that are at least 15 years old, which my dad bought brand new back when I was like...a year old. I think he's still slowly ripping his LaserDisc collection into DVDs - with his 6-year-old PC. Still works like a charm.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 20:37   Link #29
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

How's he doing that? Through a TV in?
Old 2007-12-03, 21:23   Link #30
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
My home has a working Panasonic LaserDisc player and a really old VCR that are at least 15 years old, which my dad bought brand new back when I was like...a year old. I think he's still slowly ripping his LaserDisc collection into DVDs - with his 6-year-old PC. Still works like a charm.
It is great that a piece of optical technology can still work. In my old house we had a very expensive Pioneer HT and the DVD player failed a little over a year (after the warranty ran out ofc). Did it need to undergo any maintenance? If so was it self maintainable?

Does you LD player have that annoying pause when it swaps sides? Apart from the size of the disks that was the only thing about the one I used to watch that irked me. The size of the disk isn't always a bad thing, as when you hold a collector LD you really feel like you are holding something

Cool example of migration from old to new in action . Poor LD doesn't realise it is contributing to its' own retirement

As hobbes_fan asked how is he doing it? Is it one of those convenient convert stuff to DVD machines or is he doing some PC wizardry?

@panzerfan - *snortle* software doesn't count, but you are so right about telnet etc. It didn't cross my mind about speakers and amps. I got a friend who has a Bang and Something speaker and amp set that he absolutely adores. <- He is the type who will force you to listen to a track to listen to the sound of his speakers. I think that even in 10 years time he will still use them if they haven't been broken.

@Kyomi - Great Dango what is that thing? Hmm wiki says it is a Piishii Ennjinn and never sold in the UK. Do you still play it regularly? It is for the same reason as Nagi from HnG, where she does it to refresh her gaming soul or something like that? Personally I tend to dosbox or emulator it

@GHDpro - Thanks for moving the thread, I feel a lot better now that some of the evidence of my whoopsie has been erased.

Wow 7 year for a part of a PC system that is still in use is a great example, especially when I compare it to my initial example. That is the great thing about PCs as they are modular and bits and pieces get upgraded slowly its hard to really say how old it is. But the concept of it I think adds to the whole reliability factor as if a bit breaks you can replace that bit. Well unless you have a PSU blow and spike that whole thing (touch wood).

You raise an interesting point, about how do u retire your kit. Personally I suffer from the can't bare to waste it syndrome and I tend to donate mine off to friend's children, charity, or in the rare case sell it. I really wish that I kept some of my stuff like I have had every Gameboy, or my Zaurus. I only realise that I also have invested sentimental feelings into it after it has gone.
Old 2007-12-04, 04:35   Link #31
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Er, if we're talking about my DTT3500 set, you should know it's all external. While it is from Creative, it's not a PC-specific component. I actually had it connected to my DVD player/PS2/PS3 most of the time. Only somewhat recently I switched to watching anime on my TV using a (HT)PC instead of encoding it to DVD first.

... the silver thing is the 5.1 decoder.

Anyway, it's likely this set will last me quite a while longer, unless I move and want to be able to listen to AAC5.1 and DTS tracks in surround too, in which case I'll probably replace it with a cheaper set that doesn't include a decoder/amplifier.

But anyway, I'm ranting on about my stuff to much.

As for when to replace stuff: I think that even if things still work, but what you are using now has already "paid itself off" and you can get & afford better equipment, there should be no problem replacing things. Like a 10 year old TV: it might still work very well, but eventually you want to replace it with something newer.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 06:55   Link #32
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Decoder is the proper term and silly of me to name it a card. The Cambridge Soundworks stuff is what most audiophiles would consider decent to good quality/good value. (Most would say that the CS range of Creative products has the been the only product they've had anything to do with worth anything for the last ten years). And Yes I think judging from the curent range of Creative products they're about on par with Bose in terms of pricing inflated by marketing hype. Op amps on their cards are 2nd rate. Their high end cards boast features found on cards 1/2 their price. Their speakers are quite poor for the price. Note for the uninitiated it may say 400w, but how many of those watts are useable before it turns to mud. Instead of buying their $200-$300 speaker systems, listen to a 5 speaker Home Speaker boxset from Yamaha or Pioneer at the same price and hear the difference. No wonder most people are just using their onboard audio.

/ end rant
Old 2007-12-04, 09:48   Link #33
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, Cambridge Soundwork speakers aren't going to be on the budget side of things. The Gigawork S750, comprised of a Cambridge 10" subwoofer cube and 7 satellites retail at 500 dollar range. It doesn't even come with a decoder for that matter. It's competition, Klipsch's own 5.1 Promedia had no decoder as well.

Logitech's Top 5.1 speakers have decoder box and do retail for a lower price, but these require at least 300 dollarish.

The worst deal I think is to buy those surround sound systems when your budget's around 100-200 range. I have to agree that positional audio is something that surround will always have an edge in, but the construction with many of these units are questionable. I would not touch the Creative Inspire line for example...

Old 2007-12-04, 22:09   Link #34
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

All five of my speakers are from Cambridge Soundworks; they have a number of stores near me, including at one time a factory outlet. I bought the center and rear pair some years back, then replaced my L/R fronts recently. I haven't bothered with the subwoofer. The bass response is fine for me, or at least increasing it isn't worth a few hundred dollars.

As for speakers not becoming outmoded, I bought my original front speakers when I started teaching in 1975-76. About two years ago everything suddenly stopped working, and I thought I had tripped the protection circuits in my amp. Took the amp in -- everything's fine. The tech told me that my speakers were too old (30 years or so at this point). Apparently as time goes on the glue compounds deteriorate, and the impedance of the speaker can go bonkers, or the speaker can develop shorts.
Old 2007-12-05, 10:53   Link #35
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
How's he doing that? Through a TV in?
Yep. He keeps on finding better formats too...I think he used to have them on VCDs, and now he's ripping them into progressively better quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
It is great that a piece of optical technology can still work. In my old house we had a very expensive Pioneer HT and the DVD player failed a little over a year (after the warranty ran out ofc). Did it need to undergo any maintenance? If so was it self maintainable?

Does you LD player have that annoying pause when it swaps sides? Apart from the size of the disks that was the only thing about the one I used to watch that irked me. The size of the disk isn't always a bad thing, as when you hold a collector LD you really feel like you are holding something

Cool example of migration from old to new in action . Poor LD doesn't realise it is contributing to its' own retirement
My dad *might* have sent it to be fixed by some third-party repair shop at some point in those 15+ years. Those were pretty common in Hong Kong, so warranty isn't too much of an issue - sometimes you compare prices to see if the warranty costs more than a repair.

And hell yes, that annoying pause. Here's the thing: There used to be a media rental store in a mall near where we lived (in fact, the 30-story apartment buildings are structurally connected to the mall), and as I remember all this I'm surprised that there were almost as many if not far more LDs than cassettes for rent. My family got a member's card, so we can rent a quota every week for free, so my dad would gladly bring home for me some Looney Tunes or Disney discs every Saturday. I was a patient kid, but it's still an annoying wait for it to switch sides so I can keep on watching. XD

As I remember...my dad was pretty big about re-recording stuff already back then. He rigged the LD player's second output channel to the VCR's input, so whenever I liked a certain LD we can rip it into VCR. Wicked stuff as I remember more and more.

And for about 8 years I always thought that there's something inside flipping the dinner-plate-sized disc over - without considering that it's nowhere tall enough for the task. Silly me.

[EDIT]: It's a Panasonic LX-K670.
http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...ic_lx-k670.jpg

It was made particularly for Karaoke use...my dad even got a microphone, but nobody in the house was particular about singing, so it was pretty much never used.

Last edited by Claies; 2007-12-05 at 11:05.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 03:15   Link #36
Thingle
Banned

I still have this 386 which runs on DOS.

Ahhh. Gotta love wordstar.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 15:42   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Lets see....
Personally, I have a microwave oven from 1985. Its exterior is steel and it weighs about 50lbs. It just won't die and my wife is too practical to just replace it.
We have a sewing machine from 1980... I'm driving a 1985 Oldsmobile beater (because its fun and scares the other cars) until I decide on a new car.

Electronics.... I've got a functioning TI/99 ... a functioning Atari 2600 with several joysticks (several of them homebuilt or overhauled) --- for their display, we use a small color portable tv that's a mid-80s model. (Retro night @ Vexx's) I did just throw out my last cassette recorder/player (it was in my component stereo mix). My AR91 speakers date from 1990ish (250W/speaker and the damn things weigh 80lbs each).

Oh yeah, I have an old 80286 machine with monochrome monitor that runs DOS --- I keep meaning to do some retro work on it to see what it could do AND I have a complete boxed set of OS/2 Warp (the OS that should have been ).

Our Curtis Mathis 27" CRT TV (1987) died this summer (replaced it with an LCD TV).
I have a guitar amp with vacuum tubeology from 1973....

Of course, I still have all my slide rules, CRC tables, and abacus collection (and know how to use them ).
Old 2007-12-16, 01:32   Link #38
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
The oldest technology i have I around the house would have to be our 53" Sony Televison and the very old Packer Bell 166mhz computer ^^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 02:58   Link #39
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
RPN is a great method of calculation. I was surprised it stayed limited to HP's line of calculators.

With RPN you never need parentheses to group operations like you do on, say, a TI calculator. To computer (a + b) X (c + d) on an HP with RPN, you'd enter the sequence a, enter, b, +, c, enter, d, +, X. When you enter c it pushes the previous sum up a spot in the stack, so when you've finished the second sum, the two sums then occupy the bottom two registers of the stack. Hitting "X" multiplies the sums together.

I'm sure this makes no sense to anyone except those of us who've used an HP calculator! Trust me, RPN makes chained calculations a lot easier.
[Off topic]
Nice. And RPN is even more important with compilers. Since non-branching parts of code are usually translated into an RPN style chain of commands before it is converted into e.g. machine code.
[/Off topic]

Regarding old (trusted) technology. Similar to GHDpro I'ld take my audio equipement as an example of "old" trusted tech. In particular regarding speakers, I think older speaker membrane are a little better than brand new ones.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 04:32   Link #40
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
The oldest technology i have I around the house would have to be our 53" Sony Televison and the very old Packer Bell 166mhz computer ^^.
OMG I think that could be the same type of PB my sister brought as her first computer. I can't believe how much she paid for that POS, and she brought it on HP so it took her about 1.5 years to pay off. I built her a replacement P4 for about 1/4 of the price and it had TV card and everything else she wanted. I wonder what did she do with it?

So is your PB still working?

@Vex - Sounds like a microwave made to last. Does it affect your wireless when you use it? I find with the modern tacky microwaves it is like setting off an EMP when someone cooks some food. In my old shared house when we had C&C tournaments we used to remove the fuse to stop people from DOSing us at the worst possible moment.

One of my friends drives a beaten up old mini and his moto is the better move out of the way as he doesn't care if his car gets scratched. I don't like sitting in the car with him... I can't seem to find a piccie of a Beater, but I don't think I've been in one before, maybe I'm too young

Your home does sound very retro