AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 09 Rating
Perfect 10 186 70.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 16.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 7.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 2.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-03, 02:33   Link #181
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Eh, I agree with Kholdstare here. 4 or 5 low ratings are rather silly and inconsequential compared to the 128 perfect ratings being given for this episode. If anyone thinks that's a bad thing for this episode, I would be very disappointed in them. Do I hold other people's opinions in contempt? Probably...but hey, what can you do?

Anyway, onto another subject, my favorite scene was probably at the very end, when the twins, Nagisa, Tomoya, and Sunohara were talking about the rumors of Fuuko. It seems like everyone else forgot their specific memories of Fuuko, yet still seem to hold the same vague sentiments of her that they once held. How do people interpret Tomoya's last words at the end of the episode? Do you guys think he remembers about what went on with Fuuko, or did he forget too, and was merely commenting on the rumors he had heard?
Old 2007-12-03, 02:47   Link #182
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Do you guys think he remembers about what went on with Fuuko, or did he forget too, and was merely commenting on the rumors he had heard?
At first I thought he was blubbing still and hiding his face. I think he like them has forgotten, but if she wakes up and meets him I think at least the feelings will rush back if not the memories themselves.

Tomoya: Why do I have an sudden urge to stick a straw up her nose for?

I like the sentiments behind the Fuuko arc. To me the message is that hard work and true feelings can over come this pesky thing called reality.
Old 2007-12-03, 02:48   Link #183
topboy
poor man

Very good, best of 9 episode. Great ep. for stop play with poor jokes (i'm bored to dead). This ep. fill with only one joke, that's good. Keep this rate and put more drama to me. I love to feel sad and tear drop than watch any more jokes. That's why air and kanon great to me.
Old 2007-12-03, 05:35   Link #184
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

For some reason, I can't seem to shake the mental image of that GAR 'starfish' glasses
fanmade picture of Fuko in Gurren style. Somehow, this entire arc reminded me of that story, which is all about ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the theme of Gurren Lagann...

Do the impossible, see the invisible;
Row Row Fight the Power!

Touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable
Row Row Fight the Power!
My rationale is that even against her condition, the world resetting everything, and that she will be utterly alone, Fuko still persevered, only to act to display her sincere wish for her sister to reach happiness. Friends that she finally made will leave her, but this time around, Fuko inherited their well-wishes and heads on. The people that comes to her aid have basically kicked reason to the curb, suspended their disbelief and focuses on making that wedding possible.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2007-12-03 at 06:08.
Old 2007-12-03, 06:58   Link #185
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
Well as long as people justify why they didn't like it then I guess they are entitled to their opinions. Luckily there is only a few people who've given this ep a low rating.
I somehow feel I touched something...bad there. Sorry for bringing negative energy into this discussion, if it was indeed started at that point. In any case, It's a one-way feeling, and it is indeed true opinions will be influenced on experiences.

*End of discussion*

Quote:
umm well Koumura was used as a device to develop major characters. I mean it allowed Tomoya and Nagisa to remember what's important to them and I'd say that they are major characters
What I meant to put was what would have happened if Koumura himself had forgotten at all. For people who know nuts about Fuuko's story and her arc (especially first-timers), it served as a pleasant little surprise that he would be used there and then.

Quote:
Over dramatic? Well I tend to think of Tomoya as a naturally emotional guy. When I first saw him in ep one meeting Nagisa near the Sakura trees I knew that he was probably hiding his emotional side behind that cold and sarcastic facade of his. Tomoya's reactions and response to his father further emphasised my belief. Rather then saying Tomoya bursting into tears as being overly dramatic, I would call it Tomoya showing his true self.
It must be the first impression, then, and his way of behaving around people he's familiar with, but not that close to.

]
Old 2007-12-03, 07:10   Link #186
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I like the sentiments behind the Fuuko arc. To me the message is that hard work and true feelings can over come this pesky thing called reality.
Well technically, no amount of effort can overcome reality otherwise it wouldn't be catagorised as reality. To me reality is a absolute and inconquerable truth.

Personally, the lesson was more like that reality cannot be defied. That one has to accept the cards life dealt them and enjoy what time they have. I mean Fuko technically didn't conquer reality as she did disappear, as for getting people to go to her sister's wedding, that is within the boundaries of reality, where as Fuko existing as an astro-projection form was not and hence disappeared.
Old 2007-12-03, 07:14   Link #187
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

holyman- there is no reality in anime :P
Old 2007-12-03, 08:39   Link #188
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
Well technically, no amount of effort can overcome reality otherwise it wouldn't be catagorised as reality. To me reality is a absolute and inconquerable truth.

Personally, the lesson was more like that reality cannot be defied. That one has to accept the cards life dealt them and enjoy what time they have. I mean Fuko technically didn't conquer reality as she did disappear, as for getting people to go to her sister's wedding, that is within the boundaries of reality, where as Fuko existing as an astro-projection form was not and hence disappeared.
Where you do make a very good point, but if Fuuko accepted reality she might have just ran around school pretending to be a poltergeist instead she worked really hard to make something happen. Her existence itself defies reality even within the Clannad universe, as I think people forgetting her was reality rejecting her existence. But the miracle is that no matter how much it tried to reset itself, the results of her actions would not disappear completely.

Tomoya showed some very impressive insight in reasoning that if they saw Fuuko in hospital that she would disappear kinda like in Noein, as they are confirming that she can't exist. So in that sense Tomoya didn't accept reality as well. The preview for one of the episodes really got me worked up that he would give up.

Also some of the did not forget parts were really well done. Take for instance Ibuki sensei not forgetting the arranged wedding. This actually makes sense, as she and her fiance didn't experience Fuuko, but got Fuukoed by proxy.
Old 2007-12-03, 09:04   Link #189
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
What a heartwarming and awsome end to Fu-Chan arc. I know some people were not feeling her arc too much but i must admit it ended the way i thought and left a lasting impression on me. The final moments when Fu-Chan hands her now married sister a Starfish made me tear up. IT was even extra special since at that moment everyone could see her the students the teachers everyone in a way its like shes still there at school with them. I cant even really find the right words ill just say i loved every min of it.

However the next arc is what im really looking forward as now the enigmatic Kotomi takes the stage no bullying please
Old 2007-12-03, 09:22   Link #190
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I was one of the people who wasn't feeling her arc at first, because Clannad started out great with the humor and all, but the starfish thing dragged on for too long (after episodes 5-6 what is going on?). However, it ended well and emotional (I was teary), and that's all. In a way, it is like Makoto's arc, but in many ways it's not. Clannad didn't have to live up to its expectations, but it did. It seems like KyoAni is getting better at doing drama as well as comedy.
Old 2007-12-03, 14:16   Link #191
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I was one of the people who wasn't feeling her arc at first, because Clannad started out great with the humor and all, but the starfish thing dragged on for too long (after episodes 5-6 what is going on?). However, it ended well and emotional (I was teary), and that's all. In a way, it is like Makoto's arc, but in many ways it's not. Clannad didn't have to live up to its expectations, but it did. It seems like KyoAni is getting better at doing drama as well as comedy.
I've always felt they do drama well enough, but it's the comedy I think they need work on.
Old 2007-12-03, 14:40   Link #192
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I've always felt they do drama well enough, but it's the comedy I think they need work on.
You're saying you didn't laugh watching Fumoffu or Lucky Star? Nowadays there are few non-Kyoani anime that can make me laugh other than TTGL.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2007-12-03, 14:58   Link #193
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

You should watch Seto no Hanayome then

The comedy in Clannad is done well enough (i don't like the yellow "note" thing that pops up now and then ... it was funny for the counter-kick, but after that it kinda gets redundant). Actually this might be one of the things overall with Clannad that prevents me from feeling the drama to fullest - the mood is not immersing. For the most time Clannad feels too much of a comedy for the few drama insertions to leave that much of an impact. We shall see whats to come though, as i am pretty much looking towards the next arc.
Old 2007-12-03, 17:31   Link #194
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Where you do make a very good point, but if Fuuko accepted reality she might have just ran around school pretending to be a poltergeist instead she worked really hard to make something happen. Her existence itself defies reality even within the Clannad universe, as I think people forgetting her was reality rejecting her existence. But the miracle is that no matter how much it tried to reset itself, the results of her actions would not disappear completely.

Tomoya showed some very impressive insight in reasoning that if they saw Fuuko in hospital that she would disappear kinda like in Noein, as they are confirming that she can't exist. So in that sense Tomoya didn't accept reality as well. The preview for one of the episodes really got me worked up that he would give up.

Also some of the did not forget parts were really well done. Take for instance Ibuki sensei not forgetting the arranged wedding. This actually makes sense, as she and her fiance didn't experience Fuuko, but got Fuukoed by proxy.

I guess, but in the world of Clannad reality in the first place isn't a good word to describe the events.

the definition of reality is

Quote:
Originally Posted by definition
1.The quality or state of being actual or true.
2. the state or quality of being real.
3. resemblance to what is real.
As deathreape98 stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathreape98
holyman- there is no reality in anime :P
If in effect, there is no reality in anime, then one cannot use the word reality and say that hard work and effort will overcome it, where if it was truly reality, one cannot.

Fuko existing as a ghost like projection, wasn't reality and hence couldn't in actuality defy it.

Overall this misunderstanding probably came about from using the word reality in a world (ie anime/Clannad) that's obviously not based off it.
Old 2007-12-03, 19:05   Link #195
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I'm late to the party, and I've only read through about half the thread, so sorry if I'm rehashing what others have said.

My comment on this episode: BAAAWWW!

Kyoto Animation again delivers a lesson on emotional impact: it doesn't matter how simple the story is, if you colour the characters well, as they have with Fuko, and make the bonds between the characters clear, it'll hit the audience more often than not.

The execution was almost perfect, with the minor exception of the really bad lyrics in the Engrish song. If I bothered to rate episodes, this would be a 10/10, but I don't since it goes against my philosophy that only the entire series should be rated.
Old 2007-12-04, 00:40   Link #196
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I have one question for all of you people who rated this episode a 10... I'm not criticizing your ratings, I get it you like the episode, but does this episode truly merit a pure and perfect 10? It boggles me how many 10s people give in this series because I cannot honestly believe that every episode has been perfect in people's eyes... For an episode to be in 10 in my opinion it really needs to be extraordinary, something I'd rewatch probably 1000 times in my life (No sarcasm). Could you people tell me what your definition of a 10 is? I am guessing it is not the same as me, and also... if it is could you enlighten me what distinguishes this from every other episode out there?

BTW about this episode, if Fuko isn't dead why did her spirit form disappear? If its just because her condition "worsened" then I find that kind of weak. I might have been more impacted if she actually died, but perhaps that would've killed off her sister's mood. I don't know, but it's a little iffy to me. Maybe that's why I can't understand why the characters were so so sad... If she isn't dead yet, what really is there to be bawling your eyes out for? I know its tragic that she's in a coma, but man these people are really emotional in this series.
Old 2007-12-04, 00:43   Link #197
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Can we watch the language here please folks?

@Reckoner: While I agree the 10's and some of the comments seem exagerrated, it's really peoples choice how they choose to rate an episode, so I think it's not really something that bears much discussion. Unless of course the people don't mind and are comfortable with sharing their reasons. It seems beside the point though.
Old 2007-12-04, 00:50   Link #198
anselfir
Style Über Alles

is it tomoyo route yet
Old 2007-12-04, 01:00   Link #199
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
is it tomoyo route yet
Uh... no. Kotomi's route begins Thursday.
Old 2007-12-04, 01:13   Link #200
Robotnik
Not a member

Random: Those juice boxes look like the same brand of "extra thick peach nectar" from Air

(random thoughts help hold back the manly tears)

Good episode; initially I felt they were dragging out the inevitable ending for Fuko-chan a bit, but after rewatching, it's actually a very hopeful, positive ending for her arc.
Closed Thread