AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 09 Rating
Perfect 10 186 70.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 16.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 7.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 2.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-04, 01:18   Link #201
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

No, it's Kotomi next.

@Reckoner
By your standards I'd have to rate every episode to be mediocre, since I rarely even watch the same episode twice, and never more than that. I think most people agree with me in that this episode has managed to tie the entire Fuuko arc together in terms of resolution.

It might not be the most realistic of circumstances, but since when has Key ever adhered to reality in their stories?

It is implied that Fuuko's condition worses due to her appearance as a spirit, out of good will, she pretty much sacrifices her recover to make her sister's wedding one to remember. I think that's pretty powerful.
Old 2007-12-04, 01:45   Link #202
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I've always felt they do drama well enough, but it's the comedy I think they need work on.
Geez, Fumoffu was one of the funniest anime I've seen. The humor in Clannad is kind of...unusual, but it's enjoyable. It's not lol funny, but it's just well integrated. Clannad isn't the typical Romance/Comedy, but I enjoy it like such...it just gives me a different feeling when I watch it, with better animation.
Old 2007-12-04, 02:50   Link #203
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
BTW about this episode, if Fuko isn't dead why did her spirit form disappear? If its just because her condition "worsened" then I find that kind of weak. I might have been more impacted if she actually died, but perhaps that would've killed off her sister's mood. I don't know, but it's a little iffy to me. Maybe that's why I can't understand why the characters were so so sad... If she isn't dead yet, what really is there to be bawling your eyes out for? I know its tragic that she's in a coma, but man these people are really emotional in this series.
Well, if you're really pressing for answers:
Spoiler for Not spoilers, just avoiding the waste of people's precious time:
This is what you get mixing science and anime, since theres a demand for an answer, a reasoning.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2007-12-04, 04:04   Link #204
Itadakimasu!
tsun tsun lover

Send a message via MSN to Itadakimasu!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Geez, Fumoffu was one of the funniest anime I've seen. The humor in Clannad is kind of...unusual, but it's enjoyable. It's not lol funny, but it's just well integrated. Clannad isn't the typical Romance/Comedy, but I enjoy it like such...it just gives me a different feeling when I watch it, with better animation.
Agreed about Fumoffu... perhaps its the source material that affects the comedy? I wouldn't know, I haven't played Clannad..
Old 2007-12-04, 04:17   Link #205
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
This is what you get mixing science and anime, since theres a demand for an answer, a reasoning.
Wow, it's that kind of speculation that makes the show so much more interesting, IMHO. I love it when you do that, lol.

I've personally always thought that suspension of disbelief is important to have when watching anime. I don't demand any sort of realism, I just expect things to be internally consistant.
Old 2007-12-04, 05:16   Link #206
tabun
rawr!

Although the Fuuko arc may have been drawn out a bit too much, the ending was excellently done. And I freely admit that even I, who normaly has pretty good control over his emotions, had to shed one or another tear - quite emotional scene, that. Very well, onto the next arc!

Edit: oh, and I gave it a 10/10 - not because it is the best episode ever, but because for what it was supposed to deliver, it did the best job possible!
Old 2007-12-04, 11:19   Link #207
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Haha, that's an awsome explanation. Well I guess that ends my questioning
Old 2007-12-04, 14:28   Link #208
Kanzaki Urumi

okazaki could have easily given himself a hint (notes on a paper , banners of fuko on the wall of his room etc ), since he considered if he will actually forget about fuko. Unless, both fuko and the hint will actually disappear in mid-air together then it cant be helped. =p Pretty decent episode, felt it was coming though (havent played the game).
Old 2007-12-04, 14:43   Link #209
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
^ this won't work at all.
As you could see, even the Starfish couldn't give much effect.

So even writing the whole story on a diary or something would leave hum "what the...!?".
Old 2007-12-04, 21:03   Link #210
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Mediocre end to an otherwise a mediocre arc. The only positive thing that I can take from this arc is the comedy. However, that too seemed to have dried up near the end. Skyfall pretty much summed things up for me in his earlier posts:
Quote:
I can not relate to Fuko nor her situation at all. Forget relate, i find myself failing to care about her or her plight even in the slightest. She is a cute and spunky character that works nicely for comedy, but outright fails when she is supposed to be the center of drama. She is either behaving like a cute and fuzzy animal, or showing a completely blank expression, which doesn't make emotionally attaching to her any easier.
I did not care for her story, nor did I care for her character other than she was involved to provide some comedic moment. Even those moments kind of became dull after a few times of repeat-and-rinse. The more I think about Fuko's story, the certain I become that its not the story that disinterest me, rather, its the presentation or how it is told which has failed to move me in anyway. Her story is the telling of how the strong affection felt for ones loved ones can be received by them (the loved ones) no matter what is the circumstance one in, even if that means the bending or overcoming of reality (i.e. fox turning into a girl, reincarnation, and etc.). We have seen this theme play out in several variation in tons of other anime. This similar theme where it has maximum of emotional impact in some shows and has resonated with its audience.... usually because the affect lied in the delivery aka presentation.

Anyway, I am enjoying the show thus far but I have not seen anything that has stood out from the show that would help me to really get into it. It's a good show, but nothing more than that thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
At times like this, sometimes I'm somewhat disappointed at certain ratings some people give this episode. To be fair, though, everyone rates an episode mostly according to their likes and dislikes and not entirely to it's positive and negative points.
I must admit that the above is the most confusing thing I've read in a while. As far as I know, opinions cannot be separated from likes and dislikes even if one is trying very hard to point out the positives and the negative. The reason's being, you are the one who is deciding what you consider positive/negative. Forgive me if I don't make sense.
Old 2007-12-05, 00:13   Link #211
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Aside from the love/hate talk.....

Nagisa: "You have to cry when you have to."

This makes me begging for Friday to come.
Old 2007-12-05, 00:21   Link #212
Kanzaki Urumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
^ this won't work at all.
As you could see, even the Starfish couldn't give much effect.

So even writing the whole story on a diary or something would leave hum "what the...!?".

lol totally forget about the starfish. Was thinking about a note telling him its important , go to the hospital find ibuki fuko. Things are better left as they are, no?
Old 2007-12-05, 07:09   Link #213
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Late to join the party, but anyway i will write some comment

I do like Clannad a lot, and i do like this episode, but can't understand why the emotion can't reach me, even at the level of Ep 8. Feel like things go a bit too fast, a bit too... predictable. Just like...... i watched this before.
Kind of mixed up feelings so not sure now.
Have just remembered that i feel the same thing back in LS when Konata's mum- Kanata come back and visit them

Btw, no, i'm not a cold-heart guy, i cried when hear the ED song for the 1st time ^^

Maybe i should rewatch before rate this, i may miss something
Old 2007-12-05, 23:56   Link #214
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Exams have seriously backlogged my anime list so i've only gotten to this one now. I can understand where some people are saying they can't seem to relate or feel for Fuuko, but i seem to feel differently. While I do agree that her character doesn't seem well suited to pull heartstrings, the fact that if she does indeed fail to wake up, she'll never see or enjoy truly all the love and joy she worked so hard to create. to be forgotten and erased after working so hard, perhaps never to be remembered again, it is kinda touching. The entire arc seems to have been a little too long for my liking, but i think they closed up nicely. I really hope they do have time to get to a Tomoyo arc because shes my favorite, but it does look doubtful because of how long this story is.
Old 2007-12-06, 16:37   Link #215
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

After this episode, Fuko has reserved a spot for SaiMoe 2008 favourites =)
Old 2007-12-17, 08:19   Link #216
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

This esp. is one of those esp where I can watch again and again.... Very touching...
Old 2007-12-17, 14:32   Link #217
Koal1544

Seems others share the same feeling, but here goes..

(Bare with me, these are thoughts from a anime only viewer)

Being the first time I've seen this story, seeing Fu-chan celebrating the night before the wedding, you knew something bad was going to happen. It became obvious since the preview for episode 8 that the main characters would eventually forget her. The moment they suddenly remembered her, making her appear beside them once again, that moment actually brought tears. She stayed with them even while nearly completely forgotten, and eventually was seen by her older sister only to be reduced to a "vague rumor" in the end. Episode 9 gets my vote for best anime arc ending for '07.
Old 2007-12-17, 17:26   Link #218
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
After this episode, Fuko has reserved a spot for SaiMoe 2008 favourites =)
Well, then let me say this to Fuko - Good luck with the new world order (Hayate no Gotoku will be replacing Rozen Maiden and Nanoha as the powerhouse)
Old 2007-12-21, 23:52   Link #219
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500 Send a message via Skype™ to USB500
Thumbs up

It's been a very long time since I last cried because of KEY products (AIR, Kanon, Planetarian). I really need to prepare tissues, because when Fuko reappeared after she suddenly disappeared, I had the unstoppable urge to cry. >___<

I have to be honest here; mediocre or not, Fuko's arc had given me the kind of feeling I thought I had lost since watching Kanon. This is definitely one of the powerful episodes that had me crying throughout the episode.

EDIT:
Now I know why the ED is adorable. T__T

Last edited by USB500; 2007-12-22 at 00:09.
Old 2007-12-22, 13:10   Link #220
zoot

Well, nothing unexpected in this one. When a Key story arc says someone's going to disappear at the end, you can bet that's what's going to happen ...

So, nothing unexpected, but still, I hate amnesia endings. Even if the story forgotten was saving the world, it feels like it's erasing the whole story. (I can't even mention some other shows that did this and, in some cases, soured the whole show for me as a result--because there's no way to do so without spoilers.) I still liked it, since it was well executed, just not that aspect.

(Complaints that people are voting subjectively in a poll about how much you liked an episode? Err, OK ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Geez, Fumoffu was one of the funniest anime I've seen. The humor in Clannad is kind of...unusual, but it's enjoyable. It's not lol funny, but it's just well integrated.
Okazaki's pranks, the "sea slug" and tonguetwister (surprise, Fuuko is really a chicken) bits all had me laughing out of breath a few times. It's the high point of the show for me. Most of this was directed at Fuuko, so hopefully they'll keep it up without her.

Fumoffu would probably be among my top five comedies, if I kept a list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
-I have to agree with Reckoner, though, that there were some scenes which were overly dramatic, especially when one cannot fathom how and why Tomoya would cry so much over someone he had met for but a short period of time.
I was sort of surprised by that bit in ep 8--it was a lot stronger than a secondary character typically gets to be.
Closed Thread