AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 09 Rating
Perfect 10 186 70.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 16.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 7.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 2.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-30, 17:17   Link #81
amoirsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I forgot to add, one thing Kyo-Ani did right where Key didn't was the wedding attire of Kouko-san and Yuusuke.

A wedding gown and suit is what a couple is supposed to wear in a wedding, not your regular clothes, lol.
While that's true, it wasn't formal to the fullest extent, so regular clothes doesn't cheapen the concept since the thought process of it was already maximized. Not only that but to choose the school as the location uses school implications, thus regular clothes doesn't seem as odd. I mean you have students as the audience as well, but whatever. It's not entirely wrong (or maybe I'm just remembering Kanon where the thought process used was the right momentum, but obviously the supplies to use couldn't possibly be readily available, thus you have the marriage, without the technical parts. If you use this pattern, then this is a Kyoani mistake, however, the company likely thought that the wedding clearly had the capacity to utilize things seen in a wedding, especially when the said people are full-fledged adults.)

Uh, Kyoani makes almost all their endings open-ended. If not, then it's merely conclusive, so there's nothing unusual about anything ambiguous. Unfortunately it make continuity oddity, but the lack of Fuuko's presence won't submit such an issue.

However, the Kyoani additive of a more structured wedding didn't make it much less convincing, so it works anyways. With how the ending works, they can easily exercise options to either use or not use Fuuko, particularly the former. The latter works only because the astral projection is still an astral projection, though since the purpose is resolved, and given the key trend Kyoani has done with key works, it's more likely to have no Fuuko appearances until the end. If there was any problem, it's that the wedding was pretty focal but you hardly know the teachers and the electrician (then again despite Kyoani's emphasized details, not much is explained in an entire spectrum).

And while I agree ANA isn't a bad song, the jump into the music was a bit much. Considering how they used lots of slow momentum to build the route up, portions of the resolution were slightly more quick making it seem too sudden.

Hm, all the Nagisa additives were probably implemented to make her more convincing. The momentum makes it better but it makes anyone non-Nagisa lack much of a basis.

And uh there's no way Kyoani would have done the Fuuko returns to school thing. That didn't happen in the game, and fortunately not having an astral projection return is a more convincing ending than um the open-endedness which they excessively used in Kanon (or incidentally putting most characters into a hospital just because it just so happened one after one). Using a non-open endedness wouldn't make sense entirely. Ironically, since it is an astral projection, it's entirely possible to throw the character back into the fray, but since almost everything Fuuko inclusive had already been used, not using her is going to be far more convincing than absences of other characters. On the other hand, Kanon 24 indirectly was a Deux ex Machina. Unfortunately, Fuuko route is probably the easiest to conclude because of its distinct main point.

Oh well, by trend Kyoani is not going to run a bad ending, and to fail a success they truncate it into ambiguity (on the other hand you indirectly fail other routes because you're running one specific one, so in this sense Nagisa implementation is slightly more convincing.). So while the merging momentum is really bad, the route's linearity is fairly straightforward, but since it's usually so happy, it can be very predictable (and anything else falls into ambiguity, and will not be covered for the next 13 episodes lol).

Now I wonder how a totally opportunity cost scenario can function convincingly. Didn't work previously. Thankfully Kotomi's route is an independent scenario, which ironically makes it easier to implement (and if they used Kotomi any later, her establishment for character would be far too little). Basis should be a slightly lesser issue, does Kyoani decide to use every component in Kotomi's route (I anticipate they won't since they already screwed up a minor portion that was actually rather relevant. Also, there's an inconsistent fact because of Nagisa's presence which results in being a contradiction that Kyoani very likely will ignore called skipping classes. But since actually being in class hasn't been used at all and is mostly irrelevant, that detail probably won't matter so it won't be a large problem.) Since Fuuko wasn't a prominent side character, her absence is not going to create continuity oddity (and perhaps that's why Kyoani did her route first) meaning that Kotomi's route can still run normally. Heck, because of how the route works, you can implement things as if they already were interject-able.

Well, the episode concluded nicely. The basis leading up to it in terms of main point was fine, and whatnot. A 9 is what I would input, though the clear high bias is probably due to the fact that this is pretty much the only anime I'm watching this Fall to a greater extent (and even then it's dropping rapidly lol).
Old 2007-11-30, 17:18   Link #82
FireChick

I just finished watching this one....WHY IS IT THAT I DON'T CRY AT SUCH ANIME LIKE THIS???!!! Looks like I'm gonna give myself an anxiety attack if I wanna cry at this episode.
Old 2007-11-30, 17:28   Link #83
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yushi View Post
I remember people hinting on how there's a 'mysterious glow' thingy during the 'titles' (forgot the term for it) And now that the arc is over...I STILL don't understand that glow... can anyone explain it to me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
I assume it's for an arc completion, but I am not entirely sure...
That was velocity7 who pointed that ^^.

No, the light orb was there in episode 7, coincidently matching the "true" start of the arc, and the mutual wish for happiness between the ibuki siblings.
Old 2007-11-30, 17:40   Link #84
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Plenty of good points about this episode, so I'll just pick two random ones.

Yay for Fuko getting Tomoya to call Nagisa by first name. o/ Though Nagisa still needs more time...

Kyou "asking out" Tomoya == ;_;

i was surprised as to how much insight fuuko had on tomoya and nagisa. i didnt notice kyou asking out tomoya. though i dont think there will be a cat fight in this anime
Old 2007-11-30, 17:41   Link #85
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i was surprised as to how much insight fuuko had on tomoya and nagisa. i didnt notice kyou asking out tomoya. though i dont think there will be a cat fight in this anime
I think KyoAni is putting quite a bit of effort in making it discreetly obvious that Kyou has something for Tomoya.
Old 2007-11-30, 17:46   Link #86
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Great ep! Truly a tear jerker and deserves a 10! The animation this ep was great and Fuko's arc certainly ended with as much drama as one would expect from Kyo/Key.

I really enjoyed how Fuko's character stays so consistent with that fun loving attitude. Even in that dramatic scene which she's about to disappear at the wedding, she can only mention things like the "starfish festival". That alones brings the drama to a realistic level and certainly I shed a tear at the simplicity yet no less dramatic way of saying goodbye to Nagisa and Tomoya...

Also I think that old teacher has pretty deep insight, I mean he was the only one that still remembers Fuko. No less helping Tomoya and Nagisa to remember her again. He was also the one who saw the glowing orb several ep back. It makes me think that he'll play a bigger role maybe later on in another character's arc.

Next ep looks like Kotomi! Woot can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellDemon View Post
I think KyoAni is putting quite a bit of effort in making it discreetly obvious that Kyou has something for Tomoya.
lol the oxymorons just abound with Kyoani's works don't they?
Old 2007-11-30, 17:52   Link #87
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
i wouldnt be surprised if they do something discreet like this with kotomi. seems like hes one of the few ppl she responds to. maybe kotomi sharing her obento is already a hint . i doubt they would hav tomoyo drop hints.
Old 2007-11-30, 18:00   Link #88
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i wouldnt be surprised if they do something discreet like this with kotomi. seems like hes one of the few ppl she responds to. maybe kotomi sharing her obento is already a hint . i doubt they would hav tomoyo drop hints.
No, Tomoyo definitely not. Considering Kyou's route, I am surprised KyoAni made it (again) discreetly obvious that Kyou has something for Tomoya though... but then I trust they know what they are doing. I can already imagine how'll this make an impact in one way already.

Kotomi sharing her bento though... I thought that was just a gesture of kindness as I bet not many in school talks to her due to she being a genius and that she is also a little bit weird.
Old 2007-11-30, 18:12   Link #89
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
No, Tomoyo definitely not. Considering Kyou's route, I am surprised KyoAni made it (again) discreetly obvious that Kyou has something for Tomoya though... but then I trust they know what they are doing. I can already imagine how'll this make an impact in one way already.

Kotomi sharing her bento though... I thought that was just a gesture of kindness as I bet not many in school talks to her due to she being a genius and that she is also a little bit weird.
we will see, often quiet characters can surprise the viewers.
Old 2007-11-30, 18:24   Link #90
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

as much as I love Fuko-chwan and as sad as I am that its ended with her(for now hopefully)

Next up is Kotomi-chwan! which is enough to lift my spirits after that real tear jerker of a ep

also Sunohara in white suit = FTW!
Old 2007-11-30, 18:25   Link #91
Zarn
ナギさま~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I had tears in my eyes for almost half of this episode. Everytime I thought they might dry out, another scene would bring fresh ones...
Same here. How is it that they can make us both roll on the floor laughing and then make us wanna cry like little girls. xD
Old 2007-11-30, 18:58   Link #92
Hunter Sock Monsters
I Hunt Sock Monsters!!

Send a message via ICQ to Hunter Sock Monsters Send a message via AIM to Hunter Sock Monsters Send a message via MSN to Hunter Sock Monsters Send a message via Yahoo to Hunter Sock Monsters
Fuko looked very cute with her party hat. I'm happy that she had fun with the pre-celebration party with Nagisa and Tomoya.

Nagisa and Tomoya forgetting Fuko was a truly sad moment. well there's a twist I didnt see coming!! they remembered Fuko with help from the old guy holy hell the starfish worked!!

Fuko thanking Nagisa and Tomoya was a beautiful moment, it brought tears to my eyes. In a way it reminds me of Misuzu thanking her Mom at the end of Air.

Fuko handing her sister the starfish and wishing her to be happy forever was gorgeous, A perfect way to end Fuko's arc! just the way the animation was done was a great great visual.

A very very moving episode. There were multiple times that I had tears in my eyes. I'm truly going to miss Fuko, hopefully before the end of this series Fuko will wake up and make an appearance at the school and truly be friends forever with Tomoya and Nagisa!!
Old 2007-11-30, 19:03   Link #93
boggart
鍵っ子

Very good and solid ending to Fuko's arc. The emotions sure did flow. T_T
Old 2007-11-30, 19:08   Link #94
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

This was a very excellent episode. It was very soothing, very satisfying, and at the same time really... both happy and sad. I came EXTREMELY close to crying, and although I didn't, I've been having this unsettling feeling inside my chest.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-11-30, 19:17   Link #95
Eviltape

My god, this is the best arc ending I've ever watched. But I'm with everyone on the fluid ending, being close to crying, and the general EPICNESS of the entire episode. I love this, and Clannad is definitely my anime of choice so far. To pull all of this off is one of the best things in the world, rivaling my reaction to Kanon, another Key/KyoAni production.

Woah at Kotomi being the next arc, with the coming out of the library. 2 people down as endings, I wonder who will be the canon (no pun intended) woman for Tomoya.

I almost lol'd at the Engrish song, but I suppressed it for the greater glory of the episode. Beautiful song, but I need a better understanding of Japanese grammar to decipher some of it.
Old 2007-11-30, 19:19   Link #96
s[H]sIkuA
Drill Drill Drill

Why, why , why? I know it will be the end but still, the scene is very emotional to the point I cried. Damn KyoAni for making such a good episode. 10/10

Need to watch HnG 34 for counter-effect
Old 2007-11-30, 19:21   Link #97
MonkeyDude

Kotomi looking lost and confused is enough to warrant this episode a 10 xD

Spoiler for moe~:

Have to agree that the whole Key miracles/magical thing gets somewhat repetitive and makes the scenes somewhat predictable, taking away a lot of the emotional value in it.

Still a great episode btw, although I think it doesn't hold up to some of the scenes in Kanon and Air
Old 2007-11-30, 19:22   Link #98
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by s[H]sIkuA View Post
Need to watch HnG 34 for counter-effect
Funny since that's what I'm thinking of doing as well...

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-11-30, 19:30   Link #99
zqube

Not a perfect 10, but well worth my time. That episode was really good. I should take a look at my anime rank list again and make sure Clannad is somewhere near the top.
Old 2007-11-30, 19:33   Link #100
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

I really dislike giving 10s... but I can't resist for today.... yes there were some elements that I think could ahve been a bit better..... but hey.... Fuu-chan got to be fuu-chan... and we all got to be cry-babies....

All I can say is THANK GOD for KOTOMI-CHAN~~~~~~~~~~~
Closed Thread