AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-11-30, 05:52   Link #1
toru310

Harddrive defragmenter questions.

I just moved a load of files and defragmented my hard drive immediately but something bother me alot...I know that the white thing is free space so why did the defragmenter didn't recover the space? and whats with the unmovable files? why can't it be moved? and whats with the huge free space that was not recovered?? any ideas? sorry just new with disk defragmenter. I was thinking that after disk defragmenter the files will be arrange in one side...

Spoiler:
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 07:22   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

core parts of windows XP OS cannot be moved. they are for startup and other tasks that is why they are green.

just because you see white and blue not between each other doesnt mean something is wrong with your harddrive. all it means is each part of th blue file is next to each other so it is now one piece.

a hardrive is not a stack of files per say. its more like toppings on a pizza pie. basically you put all the peperoni on one slice, that is the blue, and cheese is only left on the other slice, that is the white.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 07:58   Link #3
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
core parts of windows XP OS cannot be moved. they are for startup and other tasks that is why they are green.

just because you see white and blue not between each other doesnt mean something is wrong with your harddrive. all it means is each part of th blue file is next to each other so it is now one piece.

a hardrive is not a stack of files per say. its more like toppings on a pizza pie. basically you put all the peperoni on one slice, that is the blue, and cheese is only left on the other slice, that is the white.
I see....I thought I'm losing some space.... thanks alot..
Old 2007-11-30, 13:15   Link #4
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Lots of files systems will deliberately leave space between files to prevent future fragmentation, so it is not in your best interest to try to force it into one block at the start of the disk
Old 2007-11-30, 14:36   Link #5
Tiberium Wolf

That unmovable data(green) it most likely the swapfile. I don't use swapfile so I don't have unmovable data.
Old 2007-12-01, 06:13   Link #6
Jyukai.
~In a Music Box~

Send a message via MSN to Jyukai.
Just an opinion.
Use PowerDefragmenter
to defrag.
Jyukai. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 08:12   Link #7
toru310

Thanks for sharing! I'll try that power defragmenter that you speak of....whats the difference with that and the one thats in windows???
Old 2007-12-01, 11:56   Link #8
Jyukai.
~In a Music Box~

Send a message via MSN to Jyukai.
(: Welcome

This runs in a MS-DOS format, meaning you can see everything that goes on and what its doing.

Also it takes very little space to run(not a resource hog), and no installation is needed. Just open up the program and run it.

There are 4 defragmentation options if I'm not wrong. For each one theres also a proper description stating which situation calls for which type of defrag.

And the very important point to an IT idiot like me is, its very retard-friendly lol. So even anyone's granny can use it with ease.
Jyukai. is offline   Reply With Quote