AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-04-04, 16:25   Link #5261
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
I wonder who is never going to get Geassed in this show. Honestly, the only person I can rule out is C.C. and even that might change depending on what happens to her. If she somehow takes care of that whole thing about not being able to comprehend what a soul is.
Oh that's an easy one: Rivalz. ;_;
Old 2008-04-04, 16:31   Link #5262
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

What would be the purpose of Geassing him? What could he do that is useful?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 16:33   Link #5263
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
What would be the purpose of Geassing him? What could he do that is useful?
exactly. >_>
Old 2008-04-04, 16:54   Link #5264
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Oh, right. What about Millay? Can she do anything useful?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-04-04, 17:23   Link #5265
Aquaman OS

Nothing she wouldn't do voluntarily for him at least. Rivalz too. I guess he could use them in part of a plan where he just needs someone to do something quickly (like Geassing his maid to call Kallen and play the recording) but it seems like he's at the point where stuff like that won't work anymore. I don't know what else he'd make them do. He wouldn't want them in the rebellion and Lelouch seems to be against Geassing people to become his followers anyway.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 17:27   Link #5266
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman OS View Post
Nothing she wouldn't do voluntarily for him at least. Rivalz too. I guess he could use them in part of a plan where he just needs someone to do something quickly (like Geassing his maid to call Kallen and play the recording) but it seems like he's at the point where stuff like that won't work anymore. I don't know what else he'd make them do. He wouldn't want them in the rebellion and Lelouch seems to be against Geassing people to become his followers anyway.
Well, he might geass them into doing something for their own safety. Geassing them out of the country for example, or Geassing them to stay somewhere for a certain amount of time to assure they don't get killed. Something of that nature.

But then again he already used it on Shirley...hmm, maybe not then. Ah well, you never know.
Old 2008-04-04, 17:34   Link #5267
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Using it to get them out of harm's way is always something he could do. Or Geass a teacher or something for such a purpose. Shirley would probably figure out that something was wrong, which could always lead to her getting involved or something silly like that.

Old 2008-04-04, 17:50   Link #5268
KrimzonStriker

It might not work on Rollo if Lost Colors is any indication

Still, all these promotional pictures leaves me doubting that Lelouch will be able to stay Lelouch for long since we have so many pictures where he has permanent Geass again
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 17:57   Link #5269
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post

Still, all these promotional pictures leaves me doubting that Lelouch will be able to stay Lelouch for long since we have so many pictures where he has permanent Geass again
Well what happened in Lost Colors wasn't at all like what happened when Lelouch tried to use it on C.C. in 15.

Rollo either dodged or blocked that particular geass, he didn't just get hit by it and remain unaffected. And given what happens if you try to geass him, he's at least feels threatened by the geass. As long as he's offguard, I see no reason it shouldn't work on him.
Old 2008-04-04, 18:17   Link #5270
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:

What is going to cause it to go permanent again? Will it just happen or something? Did the Geass sort of reset or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
Well what happened in Lost Colors wasn't at all like what happened when Lelouch tried to use it on C.C. in 15.

Rollo either dodged or blocked that particular geass, he didn't just get hit by it and remain unaffected. And given what happens if you try to geass him, he's at least feels threatened by the geass. As long as he's offguard, I see no reason it shouldn't work on him.
Yeah, she simply stood there. I don't what was up with Rollo though. If it doesn't affect him though, does he not have a soul? What does that mean anyway?

He seems to be aware of it at least. He may have either dodged it or simply meant to catch Rai off guard. I guess we'll learn soon enough.

Did we ever get a good guess on who caused Lelouch to lose his memories? Was it C.C. or did she simply do something in case such a thing happened and placed a seal? Was V.V. the one then?

Old 2008-04-04, 18:20   Link #5271
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
What is going to cause it to go permanent again? Will it just happen or something? Did the Geass sort of reset or something?
Hey, I still don't know what cause it to go permanent the first time Dann. Unless Lelouch figures out how to overcome it eventually nothing stops the thing from happening again
Old 2008-04-04, 18:24   Link #5272
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Well, it was said it was a sort of trial with him and that it going permanent was a combination of being used so much as well as Lelouch's high Geass potential. He'll overcome it I am sure, but does that mean that it goes back to being his choice to use it?

It would be rather stupid if we had another Euphemia incident happen again.

This may seem like a bizarre question that may belong in the impressions thread rather than here, but why exactly are we all so excited for R2 besides a need to finish the story? Is this show as good as we think it is? It has flaws of course, but everything does. I guess it's a hard to say what I want to say.

Last edited by Dann of Thursday; 2008-04-04 at 19:13.
Old 2008-04-04, 19:51   Link #5273
Var
Banned

Quote:
This may seem like a bizarre question that may belong in the impressions thread rather than here, but why exactly are we all so excited for R2 besides a need to finish the story? Is this show as good as we think it is? It has flaws of course, but everything does. I guess it's a hard to say what I want to say.
For most it is the finishing of a story. For some it is to see robots kick each other's asses. And for others, its just something to do to pass the time.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 20:16   Link #5274
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Well, I didn't just mean R2 but the first season as well. What is it that makes the show good? I have my own opinions, but I'm curious as to others as well.

For me, I'm excited because besides a few other shows it has been sort of dead lately though that is getting taken care of recently. I also want to finish the story and get this whole pairing issue out of my mind for good, though likely not in the way I'd hope.

Old 2008-04-04, 20:55   Link #5275
Blue_Mercy
Veteran

Quote:
Well, it was said it was a sort of trial with him and that it going permanent was a combination of being used so much as well as Lelouch's high Geass potential. He'll overcome it I am sure, but does that mean that it goes back to being his choice to use it?

It would be rather stupid if we had another Euphemia incident happen again.
Everyone knows that a ton of information is going to be told in the second season, because they kept nearly everything a mystery even up to the end of the first season. So I thought I might come up with a list of questions I think people want answered. Feel free to add any I might have missed.

I will leave out romance questions on purpose, I feel that is a topic that has been beat to death and then beaten again.

What is the World of C?
Where is Nunnally?
What will the Live Geass do to Suzaku?
What is C.C.'s name, her contract, her past, her relation to Marianne, and her abilities?
How is V.V. involved, his past, his real name, his goals, can he give geass abiliites?
How is the Emperor and Marianne involved?
What is Ragnarok?
What actually happened on the day Marianne was killed?
Who is Rollo, what is his goal, how did he come to know Lelouch?
What is Kallen's background, how did Naoto die?
How will the school members come to be involved with the global events?
How soon will all the scattered characters come into the story?
How will they fight the world wide battle?
What does the entire scene of the gunshot in the finale look like?
How did characters come into be in the position they are at the start of season 2?

I know there are alot more questions people want to know.
Old 2008-04-04, 21:22   Link #5276
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Well, I didn't just mean R2 but the first season as well. What is it that makes the show good? I have my own opinions, but I'm curious as to others as well.

For me, I'm excited because besides a few other shows it has been sort of dead lately though that is getting taken care of recently. I also want to finish the story and get this whole pairing issue out of my mind for good, though likely not in the way I'd hope.
There are certainly enough points against it. I find the pacing irregular at times (blame the script), the animation quality occasionally slips (not too noticeable but it does happen), there are some strange artifacts like shirley's glove, there are too many coincidences (shirley walking in on lulu holding kallen's face, the geass going off as lelouch makes his genocide joke, things like that), and some of the logic is a bit weird (like how the stage collapsed in episode 2, or how quickly some of the rebel units go out of comission when fighting at narita - at that rate they would all be wiped out in like 10 secs) but it started out declaring that "we will make entertainment" and it did just that. So it's somewhat between a "best anime" and a "guilty pleasure" for me. In the end, I love it.

Apart from the entertainment aspect, I think Lelouch is a great character, and watching him go up against the world is simply a lot of fun. And of course I want to finish up the story, whether it's about the supernatural contract, Lelouch's and Nunnally's fate, or what really happened on that day some eleven or twelve years ago.

I also agree that there haven't been many exciting shows recently. Macross and Vampire Knight might change that for me, but seeing as how the "highlight" of last season was Gundam 00, I can't help but feel disappointed. I had some hopes for Spice and Wolf, but we've seen how that turned out - the voices at least were familiar
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 21:26   Link #5277
KrimzonStriker

Hey, I found Spice and wolf rather calming, light, and interesting myself. Some people just don't know how to appreciate closing a good deal

Oh right? Why do I like Code Geass? It never gets boring really, I don't think I didn't like any episode during the Season, the directors skills were really on the mark with this one, because I could always find one episode in a series I thought was lacking. Didn't happen here and it was amazing all the way through.

Plus it's a unique kind of plot, the intrigue and drama is deep, the characters (especially Lelouch) are fun to watch day in and day out, the action is absolutely awesome, and finally it just keeps making me want to learn more, what with all the secrets and such
Old 2008-04-04, 21:54   Link #5278
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
There are certainly enough points against it. I find the pacing irregular at times (blame the script), the animation quality occasionally slips (not too noticeable but it does happen), there are some strange artifacts like shirley's glove, there are too many coincidences (shirley walking in on lulu holding kallen's face, the geass going off as lelouch makes his genocide joke, things like that), and some of the logic is a bit weird (like how the stage collapsed in episode 2, or how quickly some of the rebel units go out of comission when fighting at narita - at that rate they would all be wiped out in like 10 secs) but it started out declaring that "we will make entertainment" and it did just that. So it's somewhat between a "best anime" and a "guilty pleasure" for me. In the end, I love it.

Apart from the entertainment aspect, I think Lelouch is a great character, and watching him go up against the world is simply a lot of fun. And of course I want to finish up the story, whether it's about the supernatural contract, Lelouch's and Nunnally's fate, or what really happened on that day some eleven or twelve years ago.

I also agree that there haven't been many exciting shows recently. Macross and Vampire Knight might change that for me, but seeing as how the "highlight" of last season was Gundam 00, I can't help but feel disappointed. I had some hopes for Spice and Wolf, but we've seen how that turned out - the voices at least were familiar
Pacing and some of the lack of character development for some are the main problems I had with the show. I don't know if you can blame anyone completely for the pacing, except that maybe they could have found a better way to do things. The animations is quite good though I too noticed the occasional slip ups. The coincidences are something I found quite annoying at times, with one of these being how convenient it was for Lelouch to find out C.C.'s name as well as the whole Euphemia thing. You see that kind of thing in a lot of anime though so I can't single it out when plenty of other shows do it.

Logic is something I have sometimes questioned and it does become somewhat annoying when I know there isn't any actual answer that we are going to get like how Lelouch gets that slide to open on his mask unless I missed something on that.You have to take some liberties though.

Lelouch is the best part of this show though and watching him do all this is what keeps me so interested. Marianne and the contract are the two things I want answered the most story wise I think though with romance and character fates being there as well.

Macross, XXXholic Kei, and SOUL EATER are what I'm watching alongside Code Geass R2 so I have more new shows than I did last season which only had Gundam 00 and Spice and Wolf as the shows I enjoyed a lot. Shigofumi wasn't bad either and I am simply thankful I dropped Dragonauts early on.

Does Sunrise always have a good year because with 00 and Code Geass, 2008 has been looking good for them so far.

Quote:
Hey, I found Spice and wolf rather calming, light, and interesting myself. Some people just don't know how to appreciate closing a good deal

Oh right? Why do I like Code Geass? It never gets boring really, I don't think I didn't like any episode during the Season, the directors skills were really on the mark with this one, because I could always find one episode in a series I thought was lacking. Didn't happen here and it was amazing all the way through.

Plus it's a unique kind of plot, the intrigue and drama is deep, the characters (especially Lelouch) are fun to watch day in and day out, the action is absolutely awesome, and finally it just keeps making me want to learn more, what with all the secrets and such
Spice and Wolf was one of the shows that I enjoyed this season. Short, fun, and not too hectic with the sort of romance I can enjoy. I didn't find the voice thing too weird. I sometimes forgot that Horo was voiced by Kallen's VA.

I can't entirely say that there were any episodes that I hated, but there were quite a few that had bad pacing in relation to other things. I found episode 16 to be somewhat pointless for a lot of reasons, except that it revealed Suzaku killed his father and the only in show mention of the World of C. It seemed practically idiotic to bring back Mao after what I thought was a good conclusion to his whole little arc. That and it eventually led to Nunnally being kidnapped twice in the show.

The plot isn't really that unique when you think about it. I think it is that Taniguchi is able to use a lot of the elements well to create a fun show. I sometimes worry we have too many characters and that we aren't focusing enough on quite a few of them.

I sometimes wonder if things aren't going to seem rather easy for us to have figured out when everything is finally revealed. It's going to be weird when we reach the conclusion. This and 00 are the only 50 episode shows I have seen in a while. I just hope the conclusion is satisfying and wrapped up nicely. I'm hoping for a good final boss battle at the very least though it may be one of those things that is more supernatural and psychological than action packed.

I still have some absurd fear that they are going to drop the ball with R2 and things will just go bad, but I am hoping that doesn't happen.

Old 2008-04-04, 22:40   Link #5279
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
My avatar attacks you!

All that aside, the convenient events in CG are parts of story telling. There is no story that can never have 'convenient' moments or 'just in the nick of time' moments. Dark Tower Series, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter (as much as I do not consider this even literature), Ender's Game, Hamlet, and so on. Everything has convenient moments. Many of them in fact. The reason it is convenient, though, is because of our audience view point.

Look at Hamlet:
- Yorick's skull
- Polonius' death
- Laertes' death
- The arrival of the Fortinbras
- Ophelia's witness to nearly everything
- The Ghost

After you've read Hamlet as much as I, you'll wonder why so many convenient things come to pass, but then you realise that certain elements are only convenient to us the viewers. Without these convenient events there wouldn't have been a story. If Fortinbras arrives five minutes earlier... You get my point.

Place that onto Geass. Euphie's geassing, to us, seems incredibly convenient. When for Lelouch, he's making a very clear point as to his power after Euphie questions it. It is convenient that C.C. did nothing after the Geass went full auto. It is convenient that Lelouch found Euphie on the island. The percieved convenience though, usually refered to as fate in reality, is what makes the story move. Just imagine if nothing ever happened conveniently. There'd be no story, there'd just be chaos.

On a lighter topic. This season, I have something to watch every day.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 22:44   Link #5280
fruitcage
<3

Quote:
I sometimes forgot that Horo was voiced by Kallen's VA.
Don't forget Lawrence's VA was Lelouch's VA.

So you can say that Kallen and Lelouch went to alternate dimension during the one year gap lol.

I believe its just a little more than 1 day and counting before premier. Hopefully R2 will answer all the nagging questions and surpass R1 in terms of storyline, animation, plot twists, ability to headlock audiences attention, etc.
fruitcage is offline   Reply With Quote