AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-23, 00:27   Link #121
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

I saw this first episode of this, that was great!!! From my pieced together understanding of a few japanese words I think I sort of followed it fairly well, and the fighting was awesome!!!

I can't wait to see more, any idea when I can buy these in english?
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 00:31   Link #122
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
This series is SUPER hot. ------WoW

A little thing like a license can't stop "people" from seeing this one

Edit: Just want to add that, if those who didn't notice, Zoro from One Piece voices Mugen. I guess he was made for a swordsmen voice ^^
Yeah this show is badass! The first thing that poped into my head while watching it was, hey thats Zoro's voice!
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 00:55   Link #123
THX

Yeah, this series looks really good!

I see a mix between Berserk, Cowboy Bebop and various other 'unique' series.
THX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 08:22   Link #124
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Meh, the first episode was okay. I did enjoy the voice acting (is it me or is the prefect guy voice done by Gouri Daisuke, sounded alot like him) as well as the characters.
The part I did not enjoy was the piercing, glasses and the afro's. Its kinda out of place. The animation was fluid although the style was ok.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 09:38   Link #125
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Fluid animation? Eh, yeah, it was. But what was most weird about it was how it jumped around so much in the beginning to try and capture both stories that were apparently happening at the same time. But aside from that, did anyone notice that this anime seems to be targeted towards the american audience right from the start? It's definatley not a typical japanese anime. Reason I state this is due to the style (jumps around like a rap video), the outfits (note the glasses as stated above), and the music (I believe that was a song sung by public enemy, although I can't be for sure. Don't listen to rap) that just didn't fit the typical Jpop style seen in most anime. Then again, that could be why it was snatched up so quickly.

Plus if this was targeted towards eventual US licencing, then that wouldn't surprise me either. Look at Sonic, Pokemon, etc. They were targeted towards americans audiences at their inception, so if this fell in that same catagory, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.
Old 2004-05-23, 10:19   Link #126
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Now that I finally unerstood what they were saying it felt even more nicely paced. I didn't even notice that thing with Jin being naked during the fire before...funny. I can say this had a better first epiode than Bebop did...let's see how it rolls out.
Old 2004-05-23, 10:42   Link #127
wnkryo
HainShodan

LoL, my post was deleted by Nightwish. Well, I do think that was reasonable, considering that I shouldn't of done that.

But I definetely doubt that the mods haven't already seen the "other" version of episode 1
Old 2004-05-23, 11:11   Link #128
apr
Pedestrian

Before we begin, I'd just like to mention that Fuu's voice actress is the girl who voiced Mahoro of Mahoromatic and the current Hikari of Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai. And yeah, it's the Roronoa Zoro guy who does Mugen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final
The OP made me want to vomit. I'm sorry but I don't like the broken english rap the only group that really has made it work is Zap Mamma. I'd prefer to just hear some Japanese rapping over the beats or just some lyrics like the ending.
I've never heard rap in proper English. Ghetto gang yoyowzup style English is broken too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final
I think I'm gonna puke on the person that says, "I normally don't like hip hop." STFU most people don't know what real hip hop is. Too many people confuse Top 40 rap for Hip Hop. If you don't know who The Roots, Mos Def, Common, Gang Star, The Lox, Company Flow, Reflection Eternal and Pharohe Monch are then you definatly are confusing the two. I can't say I don't like rock because the only things I have to measure it up to is Creed, Poison and Metalica. The only real Hip Hop in the main stream right now is OutKast and maybe JayZ and Nas to lesser extent. [/rant]
Lots of things seem to make you nauseous. Oh well.
I have no clue as to whoever the people you mentioned are, so perhaps you're right. I would still say that I don't normally like hip hop, since the world defines Puff Daddy and whatever as hip hop, and that's all I've heard. My grandmother can't stand hip hop either, and she most definitely hasn't heard of Company Flow, despite the fact that she's 85 years old and thus has an enormous musical experience. I still think she's entitled to an opinion. Let's just call your kind of hip hop the "nerdy hip hop", since you're clearly a hip hop nerd, the same way I'm an IDM nerd.

In closing, I'd like to mention that the only good parts of hip hop music are the parts they ripped out of someone else's songs, which means they're all no talent hacks.
Old 2004-05-23, 11:15   Link #129
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Fluid animation? Eh, yeah, it was. But what was most weird about it was how it jumped around so much in the beginning to try and capture both stories that were apparently happening at the same time. But aside from that, did anyone notice that this anime seems to be targeted towards the american audience right from the start? It's definatley not a typical japanese anime. Reason I state this is due to the style (jumps around like a rap video), the outfits (note the glasses as stated above), and the music (I believe that was a song sung by public enemy, although I can't be for sure. Don't listen to rap) that just didn't fit the typical Jpop style seen in most anime. Then again, that could be why it was snatched up so quickly.

Plus if this was targeted towards eventual US licencing, then that wouldn't surprise me either. Look at Sonic, Pokemon, etc. They were targeted towards americans audiences at their inception, so if this fell in that same catagory, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.
That wouldn't surprise me either. The names in the opening credits were written in romanji (English alphabet) and not kanji/hiragana/katakana for example.

Isn't hip-hop also popular in Japan? There are many Japanese hip-hop and rap groups, and Japanese teenagers follow the MTV crowd just like Americans do. I don't know what Japanese anime otaku are into hip-hop though...

Last edited by jennwenn; 2004-05-23 at 11:38.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 11:23   Link #130
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

apr, you better get into detail..cause by saying that you are calling groups like De La Soul talentless..and that is quite foolish. Two catogries are what really are bringing Hip Hop down...Gangster and Crunk(the ones that always sound the same but differet and include alot of yelling).
Old 2004-05-23, 11:28   Link #131
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youko Recca
apr, you better get into detail..cause by saying that you are calling groups like De La Soul talentless..and that is quite foolish. Two catogries are what really are bringing Hip Hop down...Gangster and Crunk(the ones that always sound the same but differet and include alot of yelling).
this man knows his hip hop. glad to see others hear knowing or liking hip hop.
Old 2004-05-23, 11:40   Link #132
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youko Recca
apr, you better get into detail..cause by saying that you are calling groups like De La Soul talentless..and that is quite foolish.
I thought I made it clear that I have no idea who all these groups are, and that whatever I say that encompasses the entire hip hop world is bullshit.

I like Red Snapper, you know.
Old 2004-05-23, 11:41   Link #133
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Quote:
Fluid animation? Eh, yeah, it was.
Well...I needed to say something good about it
But seriously I thought it was 'fluid' during the fight scenes, or maybe I should get glasses.

Quote:
But aside from that, did anyone notice that this anime seems to be targeted towards the american audience right from the start? It's definatley not a typical japanese anime.
Yes definitly, no doubt about it. I guess that's why I thought some stuff were out of place...
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 11:45   Link #134
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

I love hiphop and like samurai's, instant hit for me!

Lunchboxx Pwnage
|)arK_Nin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 11:46   Link #135
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr
I thought I made it clear that I have no idea who all these groups are, and that whatever I say that encompasses the entire hip hop world is bullshit.

I like Red Snapper, you know.

Well if you look you'll see like...85% of the internet people hate Hip Hop because of the mainstream...and that pisses me off alot. Unlike many I love both Rock and Hip Hop equally in their prime. There just isn't any need to bring something you don't like down, you know? Eh...I think that should be enough off topicness.
Old 2004-05-23, 11:52   Link #136
wnkryo
HainShodan

No one cares about "original" hip-hop artists or their music anymore. Sure they deserve their props and all, but it's time to move on--correction, it's been time to move on.

How many people do you know who rock that old school joint today?
Old 2004-05-23, 11:57   Link #137
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

Quote:
No one cares about "original" hip-hop artists or their music anymore. Sure they deserve their props and all, but it's time to move on--correction, it's been time to move on.

Do you care to elaborate on which hip hop artists youre talking about?

Lunchboxx Pwnage
|)arK_Nin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 12:02   Link #138
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Quote:

just because he says original hip hop doesnt mean we mean hip hip from the 80`s or somthing that sounds like that. We mean hip hop that actually means and says somthing other than " yo i bust this guy cause he looked at my girl" or somthing stupid like that.
Old 2004-05-23, 12:04   Link #139
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Caught the first ep somewhere , looks good so far, I agree with most of the disdain for the OP and ED, but hey its easy to skip it. The action was cool, Fuu-chan is damn cute.

I've got a couple of scans (with a potential mega spoiler) from June Newtype which has a 2 page spread on SC, the quality isn't great but...

Spoiler:

Sonhex

Last edited by Sonhex; 2004-05-23 at 12:29.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 12:26   Link #140
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |)arK_Nin
Do you care to elaborate on which hip hop artists youre talking about?

If he isn't talking about the oldies (and I mean oooooldies). Then no I wouldn't want to elaborate on that

Back to topic,

When does the next episode air?

Tags
action, historical