AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Closed Thread
Old 2007-12-07, 23:03   Link #1
Post well drawn quality anime with good story arc/plot

Hello, Yet another suggestion thread. I hope you guys could help me out here.
I have been looking through similar threads and it seems that I can't avoid posing on my own.

I am looking for something that has a definitive ending and a good central story arc. I just finished Gantz, and I did not like it due to its lack of good ending and not a good story arc (interesting, but lacks some substance, in my opinion.) I want a plot that is addicting and sequential

I would strongly prefer animes that are well drawn. In most cases, this means that the anime is post 1999 production (exception being Evangelion, which I watched the digitally remastered version)

Anime I really liked are

RaXephon: good plot. Episodes are sequential and developing. Liked romance subplot and character development.
Evangelion: confusing, but still good plot. Again, episodes are sequential and developing The series ending was not exactly what I hoped for, but the End of Eva made up for it, although some say its ending is just as bad (and I am waiting for the Rebuild of Evangelion to come up with a new ending!)

Fate Stay/Night: Simply good plot, although I was not too keen with the some magic stuff, but good clear definitive ending.

Gun Grave: Great plot, very sequential and developing. I was sweating in my hands till the last minute of the last episode. Good ending.

I appreciate romance subplot too whether it is overt or subtle. Action is definitely hugh plus.

Old 2007-12-08, 00:14   Link #2
Terrestrial Dream
Eureka 7- I thought the show was very well drawn and loved the story.
Old 2007-12-08, 00:18   Link #3
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy
Lol, isn't this like... 25% of all shows? Anyway, go watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Greatest sho ever, best plot, sequential, most awesomely badass artstyle evar.
Old 2007-12-08, 08:25   Link #4
Seirei no moribito - action/adventure
utawarerumono - licensed / action
Old 2007-12-08, 08:28   Link #5
Currently watching Guardian of the Sacred Spirit (Seirei no Moribito). Although I don't know how it will end, I will say the story is very well done, and the animation is excellent. Does lack humor and romance(at least for the first 10 episodes), but the fighting is surprisingly good.

The best story I personally find in an anime is Monster. And for the recent ones off the top of my head, Zegapain and Code Geass.
Old 2007-12-08, 08:59   Link #6
Toyosaki Aki
You cannot go wrong with Claymore. The art is unique, but almost no one has a problem with it. If you have no preference between manga and anime, go with the manga. Anime diverged around ep 22 and I didn't particularly care for the alternate ending in place of on-going manga chapters.
Old 2007-12-08, 10:11   Link #7
Lets be reality
I will 3rd Seirei no Moribito.
Old 2007-12-08, 10:51   Link #8
ef- a tale of memories and sola.
Both really good storylines and very well drawn
Old 2007-12-08, 21:11   Link #9
sola I did not like it too much (stopped in the middle).
Eureka 7--I enjoyed first few episodes, but did not like the shonen-ish aspect of it.
I was expecting something like Evangelion...

Code Geass--I loved it great! Really waiting for the second season.

Claymore--I saw the potential, but I stopped in the middle, because somehow it did not really resonate with me (but it still is on my "to-do list.")

Seirei no Moribito
ef- a tale of memories

I will give them tries.

Thanks a lot.
Old 2007-12-08, 21:32   Link #10
Ultimate Coordinator
I also recommend:

Seirei no Moribito: definitely has substance, superb story arc, love subplot isnt fleshed out and, not much out other there that will look better than this
(to me this anime feels very different from what you've listed)

Here is something similiar to your list:

Code Geass:lots of substance, sinister story arc, protagonist is very enjoyable to watch, i like the production value but i have seen complaints about the art direction, multiple love subplots, its mecha (seems like you enjoy mecha)

I actually think Code Geass is better than my favorite mecha, GS and GSD (this one is special to me )

Last edited by bbduece; 2007-12-08 at 21:50.
Old 2007-12-08, 21:55   Link #11
How far did you watch of Eureka 7? Most people say its slow around the beginning but picks up alot later on. Though you might not just be into that type of show.
I 4th Seirei no Moribito.
I also noticed you loved Gungrave, I recomend Speed Grapher then aswell. Its pretty mature and dark,romance-ish and has a very good story IMO. But its from last season though.

Last edited by UltimaWolf; 2007-12-08 at 22:18.
Old 2007-12-08, 21:57   Link #12
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'll recommend Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.
Old 2007-12-09, 03:59   Link #13
Eureka 7 is awesome! yes, it's a bit slow in the beginning, but it picks up, and I particularly like the unusual aspect of Holland's parallel character growth with Renton. Holland is much older, though he is as much a main character as Renton. E7, despite being the typical boy-growing phrase type, is brilliantly done in terms of story execution, depth, characterisation, humour, message, animation and absolutely beautiful, emotionally evocative music.

same as Full Metal Alchemist, a must see.

I'd also recommend Zegapain, a sci-fi type that explores the boundary of reality. It has a Matrix feel to it, yet it's vastly different from Matrix. It's slow, but the build-up and suspense are what keep you hooked. The clues are interspersed throughout the story, so watching even halfway through doesn't mean you understand everything! I haven't seen Evangelion, but Zegapain is one of those physics sci-fi types that not everyone can fully understand. um, but then it's much more easier to get than Evangelion. I love this anime. It's emotional, and despite the bleakness, it has a hopeful ending.
Old 2007-12-09, 09:26   Link #14
AS Oji-kun
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
I want a plot that is addicting and sequential
Hikaru no Go (though there's some filler near the end)
Dennou Coil
Welcome to the NHK! (there are arcs, but the underlying story is pretty continuous)
Junni Kokki ("Twelve Kingdoms")
Saiunkoku Monogatari

There, that's a good start.
Old 2007-12-10, 05:19   Link #15
How come no-one said Clannad? Kanon's good too.
Old 2007-12-10, 08:39   Link #16
I've never seen Clannad, but in the few episodes of Kannon(before I got bored), I got the idea that it had no action.
Old 2007-12-10, 17:50   Link #17
Noir - one of the best anime I ever saw, a winner in several regards. It has 2 female leads.
Innocent Venus - since you mention Mecha shows. Well made, short, highly addictive, some scenes a tad disturbing (to me), definitive end.
Basilisk - by now I even got used to the puppy eyes of most chars Best Ninja show out there, totally definitive end. Not as addictive as say Noir, but still alot of it.
Closed Thread