AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-12-27, 16:36   Link #821
Worriors1
Spontaneous Retirement.

Wait, Mary McGlynn like... The woman who sings for Silent Hill? Or is the Elizabeth there to Differentiate?

Anyways, I've already given my take on the dub. All of the voices match, but Nunnally's feels like it's gotten better since R1. Could just be the fact I haven't watched the dub in forever. But it wouldn't hurt to lower it JUUUUST a bit, give her a more average sounding voice.

I agree with making Laksharta's (Rakshata, what's the real spelling here? I never figured that out..) deeper. I think the reason why I liked the Japanese version against this one (Which happens pretty rarely depending on the character. Alot of times the voices fit pretty well,) is because of how they made the 'accent.' And the English version just can't pull it off as well. Either way, atleast it's bearable and not creepy sounding. Or just out of place..
I mean, if they got a regular twenty+ year old to voice her, it would definately sound out of place.

Cupcakes for trying.

Still haven't seen the more recent episodes of R2 dubbed, so maybe I'm not exactly qualified here, har-har!
Old 2008-12-28, 01:37   Link #822
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worriors1 View Post
Wait, Mary McGlynn like... The woman who sings for Silent Hill? Or is the Elizabeth there to Differentiate?
They're one and the same.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 14:34   Link #823
KrimzonStriker

Hmm, now that I've gotten around to hearing it I must say the Spike Spencer is actually a very good fit for Rolo, personal opinion anyway, but I like it and for a Rush job this seasons dubbing really isn't so bad
Old 2009-01-05, 00:43   Link #824
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
gay adult swim
put all anime past 1am.
I happened to be staying up late yesterday, cause the last thing I do usually before going to bed on Saturday night (Sunday dusk) is watch dubbed Code Geass.

Anyways........ the line up was Code Geass, Shin Chan, Full Metal Alchemist, and Death Note (at which point, I was too tired to stay up any further).

Well at least they're going to progress in Code Geass from this week.

On a ramdon note, it's going to be horrible listening through Nunnally's VA in the last episode
Old 2009-01-05, 22:41   Link #825
KanaKaishou

Guh...

That was among the more horrifying experiences I've had. Not "First time watching Naruto dub" horrifying, but pretty bad. While there are plenty of voices which are fine, Lelouch's voice didn't have *nearly* enough insanity in it (in episode 25 of s1, no less). Lelouch's voice made me cry...the rest, well, it wasn't that bad, except for Rakshata.
KanaKaishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 00:34   Link #826
Ryuugu-chan
.....?

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post

On a ramdon note, it's going to be horrible listening through Nunnally's VA in the last episode
Why do you say that?
She can't cry?
I like Nunnally's english voice.
KanaKaishou,don't mock the Naruto dub

AS hasn't been giving new episodes,right?
They're giving the 1st season eppies.
Old 2009-01-06, 00:52   Link #827
Sprite_Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanaKaishou View Post
Guh...

That was among the more horrifying experiences I've had. Not "First time watching Naruto dub" horrifying, but pretty bad. While there are plenty of voices which are fine, Lelouch's voice didn't have *nearly* enough insanity in it (in episode 25 of s1, no less). Lelouch's voice made me cry...the rest, well, it wasn't that bad, except for Rakshata.
Laura Bailey is the worst va ever. Oh god, and she's the leading role on the new Kurokami animation
Old 2009-01-06, 01:01   Link #828
azul120

Quote:
Laura Bailey is the worst va ever. Oh god, and she's the leading role on the new Kurokami animation
I disagree. She may be a little miscast as Lakshata, but she's quite good. Can't get enough of Shin, that's for sure.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 05:18   Link #829
Charred Knight

Quote:
Excuse me?

You may think she was miscast as Rakshata, but considering her work as Shin-Chan, and Lust she's hardly the worst voice actor.

For bad voice actors check out the Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon, bad voice actors, and bad voice direction.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 12:42   Link #830
zalem

Quote:
Guh...

That's the reason why I just can't tolerate the dub. Some voices are decent. Some are even pretty good. But when my favorite character's voice (who happens to be the main character of the series) is totally botched.....well, that does it for me.
Old 2009-01-07, 01:27   Link #831
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Wow, some of you take this critiquing thing to a whole other level. Would you guys honestly be complaining if you had never seen the original before? It's easy to disregard the dub if you keep comparing to the Japanese version, and quite frankly, it's not all that fair to voiceovers.

I know that this is all opinion, but a lot of these complaints are just flatout nitpicking and eliticism(as if such a thing should exist when watching an anime).
Quote:
Guh...

What? One of the most horrifying experiences you've ever had?

What? It made you cry? Are you serious?

There's is no way in hell Bosch was that bad, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuugu-chan View Post
AS hasn't been giving new episodes,right?
They're giving the 1st season eppies.
New episodes start back up this week, I believe.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-01-07 at 02:02.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 06:47   Link #832
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Yeah. When I started watching, I watched the dub and was never like that. I was never saying "Bad voicing" or anything along those lines.
Sonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 11:45   Link #833
zalem

I don't think Bosch is a bad VA overall. But I do think he was miscast for this particular role.
Old 2009-01-11, 11:07   Link #834
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
just watched ep 7 of r2
dear GOD
i hate kallen's VA
Old 2009-01-11, 11:11   Link #835
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
just watched ep 7 of r2
dear GOD
i hate kallen's VA
D= I still haven't got the chance to watch it yet. How was it?
Old 2009-01-11, 21:35   Link #836
Sprite_Coke

I don't think Bosch is a horrible VA but, he certainly does not fit the role of Lelouch.
Bosch & Lowenthal combo in Gurren Lagann was extraordinarily good, why was that lost in Code Geass?!?!?!?

And Kallen's VA has not been above average, but I think she redeemed herself in ep 7.

Btw, Nunnally's VA changed her pitch. It's way better than before, but wtf? who hires someone that changes her voice in the middle of a series.
Old 2009-01-11, 21:47   Link #837
Charred Knight

Quote:
I don't think Bosch is a horrible VA but, he certainly does not fit the role of Lelouch.
Bosch & Lowenthal combo in Gurren Lagann was extraordinarily good, why was that lost in Code Geass?!?!?!?

And Kallen's VA has not been above average, but I think she redeemed herself in ep 7.

Btw, Nunnally's VA changed her pitch. It's way better than before, but wtf? who hires someone that changes her voice in the middle of a series.
I don't know maybe because everyone hates how Nunnaly sounded?

The VA Director probably told her to change the pitch to sound better.
Old 2009-01-12, 01:58   Link #838
Xander

Nunnally does sound better and, what is more important, tolerable. Kallen has always been a little uneven, but I think she does fit some aspects of the character and that's just fine. She's just not as versatile. I think Lelouch, C.C. and Suzaku are spot on. No, they are not trying to copy the Japanese voice actors but I think they fit the characters all the same. It helps that I don't usually watch dubs though.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 17:46   Link #839
Charred Knight

Nunnaly's VA shows that she's not a bad actress but got horrible VA Direction. I like that they noticed how bad Nunally was and fixed it by having her tone down the "cuteness" that was ruining the voice acting.

For whatever reasons american anime VAs can not do cute.
Old 2009-01-17, 18:55   Link #840
Sonae
A l i c e
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Nunnaly's VA shows that she's not a bad actress but got horrible VA Direction. I like that they noticed how bad Nunally was and fixed it by having her tone down the "cuteness" that was ruining the voice acting.

For whatever reasons american anime VAs can not do cute.
They can't do cute because they don't have the voice for it. IMO Japanese voice actors/actresses have much higher pitched voices which they can use and not sound bad. While Dub Voice actors/actresses don't have such high pitched voices, so when they try to make it high pitched, they sound bad. They should find more people who can voice of a varying age/voice tone/whatever gives that certain quality.

I've been watching the dub a lot lately and Lelouch's VA (Don't remember how to spell his name) does well. There was an episode or two that wasn't so good but I'm finding now he does quite well. C.C.'s is perfect IMO. Suzaku's is good. Kallen's is off. Nunnally is off. But it is done quite well.

I haven't watched subs in so long...

Turn 8 is out tonight/tomorrow right?