AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-01-26, 23:22   Link #1
Shift_

Ahhhhhhh network collision...caused by new cable modem?

So I'm on shaw, that's a Canadian ISP. Although they're rolling out Docsis 2.0 (which should be available in my area by summer) I was one of the last people on the old Docsis 1.0 standard used by my old ISP before shaw bought them out...the modem died...I got switched to a Terayon modem (shaw only uses these non-docsis modems now)

Now I should first explain how my network is plugged in. I have 2 IPs from shaw, so the modem goes into a switch, the switch leads to MY PC, and to a router. The reason my PC is on it's own, because I like having my own IP and not behind some retarded firewall that doesn't work 90% of the time

Anyways, ever since we got this modem, the switch has been detecting collisions...for normal internet useage like downloads and chatting it's okay, but for gaming it lags and drops connection sometimes, I'm guessing this has something to do with the modem. The collisions are probally causing some sort of packetloss somewhere, because the only traffic goes from my PC to the modem, the router to the modem and vise versa, I never touch the router, I don't even see it. We're not networked, we just share it this way...it's complex why I want my IP and why what I do doesn't work behind the router.

My reasons for this:

The with the old modem, there WERE no collisions, everything was smooth and fast.

The old modem was a Motorola Surfboard, the eithernet port on the modem was FULL DUPLEX at 100mbps
The new modem is HALF DUPLEX at 10mbps and I think that's attributing to the collisions

What do you guys think? Any solutions? any suggestions?

It's probally something to do with the modem...although I REALLY can't do anything about it as that's the ONLY modem they use...could it be a bad modem?
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 07:10   Link #2
SirJeannot
AT Field

do you have a switch or a hub
collisions only occur with a hub ...
Old 2004-01-27, 10:14   Link #3
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Collisions on a hub or a half-duplex line are "normal" and no reason to be alarmed except they happen very often (like the light is sort of permanently lit). Collided ethernet packets are resend so fast that you can't even think about noticing any delay.

What can happen thought is that the switch and the modem failed auto-detect of the line mode. Maybe the switch is asuming it is a full-duplex line while it is not. This would cause collided packets not to be immediately resend by the switch; depending on the protocol they are either lost or resend by one of the parties (your computer or the server).

BTW: Are you sure your switch properly supports 10 mbps ethernet?

Another problem might be that your new modem and your ISPs port for your modem are not properly configured (read: don't match) or your new modem is more fussy about errors on your line to your ISP.
Old 2004-01-27, 11:27   Link #4
Shift_

Everything seems to be normal...

I'll try to do other things...

My switch fully supports 10mbps ethernet It's a newer Dlink...

And no the collisions don't happen often, if you look at the collision light on the switch it just goes on every min or so...

PS the tech brought the modem, and phoned in to initilize it...it's the only modem they support now.

But I'm going to try other games, as I was just informed by my brother that this one game has always had problems like this.
Old 2004-01-27, 15:01   Link #5
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
you can set the properties for the network card to run at half duplex 10, full 10, half 100, or full 100. if you got a new nic with the modem, that could be your problem.
Old 2004-01-27, 17:36   Link #6
SirJeannot
AT Field

i don't think the problem comes from the link between the computer and the hub ...
Old 2004-01-28, 23:48   Link #7
Shift_

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenChild
you can set the properties for the network card to run at half duplex 10, full 10, half 100, or full 100. if you got a new nic with the modem, that could be your problem.
nope, I'm using a gigabit nic, and the problem isn't the connection to my switch
Old 2004-01-31, 16:28   Link #8
ameoba

Send a message via ICQ to ameoba Send a message via AIM to ameoba Send a message via Yahoo to ameoba
Yeah... Collisions are a normal part of ethernet life; the whole point of Ethernet was that multiple hosts could simply transmit data on a shared wire & have a sane & efficient way to handle collisions (IE - two machines talking on the same line at the same time). Like the other guy said, unless it stays lit up like an Xmas tree, there's notthing to worry about; you'd have to get some ridiculously expensive hardware to completely do away with the chances of any collisions (and might not even be able to if the Modem's ethernet is just 10Mb half-duplex-only.
ameoba is offline   Reply With Quote