AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2008-04-12, 13:07   Link #21
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Meh, another harem anime, which is always a negaitve in my book even if its a reverse one. Probably the one I stomached would be Ouran, but that was because of the comedy. But this looks like it's going to be focused on action (again), so yeah, Angelique isn't anywher near my 'to watch' list.

Only thing it has going for it for me would be that Angelique is 10x prettier than any heroine from the previous series iterations. Still, I don't think that's going to be enough to get me going, considering there are prettier girls in other harem anime that I still dropped. I've dropped every other Angelique series before, and so far, this looks like another one.

Which really saddens me, as the art looks good. Oh well, it has another 2 eps to impress me. Hopefully some sort of romance develops, but considering the Angelique series is devoid of it (in fact, the very premise of being a queen means that the candidate must be 'chaste'), it is a very long shot for me.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 13:33   Link #22
Zutara21
Ninja Kitty

Tragic past, all girl school, two cute boys appearing for her, monster abound, and she has the power to save them all??

Sound like an excerpt right out of a soap opera or romance novel. lol, but I love it! Great setting and characters for the first episode. I would like her to show somewhat of a tougher exterior once in a while.

Crying and praying all the time makes Jill a dull girl that no boys like.

Going to keep my eye on this one. And My Guilty Pleasure: FTW! ^^;
Zutara21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 14:27   Link #23
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Meh, another harem anime, which is always a negaitve in my book even if its a reverse one. Probably the one I stomached would be Ouran, but that was because of the comedy. But this looks like it's going to be focused on action (again), so yeah, Angelique isn't anywher near my 'to watch' list.
What do you mean by that? For one, Angelique, aside from the visual novel types of games hasn't really gone that far with the harem aspect. It is sort of like a magical girl show really. As for the action, the previous seasons and OVAs were rather tame. This seems to be a rather fresh direction for the shows since the male guardians are actually fighting the creatures by themselves instead of letting Ange handle it all as usual. At least I hope that cycle doesn't continue. The male guardians could use some action finally.

But overall, I do think you need to have some sort of a tolerance for these types of show and I can see why people are turned off by the premise alone. Like I said before though, the creative staff seems way more skilled than previous versions and I think the effort shows. If they can put in some genuine twists in the story, the show could genuinely be good. That's the hope anyway.

Also, I keep wondering who did the music in this one because the overture was just amazing. This show gives composer the perfect excuse to do them (ANGELS! OVERTURE!) and that one part has almost always been good.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 15:04   Link #24
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Well...there are brainless harems (ie rosario) and there are enjoyable harems. This series looks like it will fall into the latter for me. Seeing all those pretty guys around her gives me fushigi yuugi vibes (which is a good start ^^). But I'm surprised DK3, I didn't know you dislike harem titles that much.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 16:08   Link #25
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Well...there are brainless harems (ie rosario) and there are enjoyable harems. This series looks like it will fall into the latter for me. Seeing all those pretty guys around her gives me fushigi yuugi vibes (which is a good start ^^). But I'm surprised DK3, I didn't know you dislike harem titles that much.
haha, caught the first episode, and I'd have to say that it's quite the opposite of Rosario. The lead has the power, there's obviously going to be a male harem of some sort, zero fanservice, etc.

I must say though, Angelique and her two friends (Hannah & Shelly?) are quite pretty hott.
And even the male characters seem... ehh, pretty.

I also didn't find Angelique's personality that bad, she doesn't really have that "damsel in distress"-type feel to her.
Old 2008-04-12, 19:07   Link #26
The_TempesT

Just checked out the first episode as well, the first fight scene from the very beginning had me going "ehhhhhhhh...." but once they started getting to Angelique and the basic story I started finding myself very involved. The out of nowhere comedy here and there also made me chuckle a bit.

Overall I like the first episode quite a bit and plan on continuing to watch this. Having a reverse harem of men instead of women will be kinda strange to me (as im a guy) but as it was stated above, even the guys seem to be pretty interesting to look at (but not in that way )
The_TempesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 07:20   Link #27
domino
デレデレ

I'm with everyone else in hoping Angelique won't become a brainless damsel-in-distress, but since she was studying to become a doctor, I hope she has a doctor's brains somewhere in her pretty little head.

And even in the worst of scenes, I just sit back and foam at the mouth at how pretty and shiny and fluid everything looks. I hope the quality stays like this for the rest of the series. Every time I want to even slightly criticize a scene in episode one, Nyx sparkles and I instantly forgive it all.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 10:28   Link #28
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
What do you mean by that? For one, Angelique, aside from the visual novel types of games hasn't really gone that far with the harem aspect.
By itself it's not bad, but only by itself makes for an uninteresting show in my book. I mean, Saiunkoku Monogatori is among the best shows I have ever seen, for example, despite being harem because it had a lot of other things going for it.

Quote:
It is sort of like a magical girl show really.
Doesn't interest me either, as most magical girl shows are in my book the shoujo equivalent of shounen action. (And God knows how I dislike shounen even more than harem) Of course there's always exceptions that contain something different from the rest of the genre, like say Shugo Chara or CCS, but they're far from the rule.

Quote:
As for the action, the previous seasons and OVAs were rather tame. This seems to be a rather fresh direction for the shows since the male guardians are actually fighting the creatures by themselves instead of letting Ange handle it all as usual. At least I hope that cycle doesn't continue. The male guardians could use some action finally.
And literally making this another shounen action show, only this time hot bishies and a female main character (read: aimed at females)? I think I'll still pass on that.

Quote:
But overall, I do think you need to have some sort of a tolerance for these types of show and I can see why people are turned off by the premise alone.
I'd say I'm pretty tolerant considering I'm not dropping this show right off the bat, or even actually giving it a chance despite me not liking ALL the previous iterations before. And me forcing myself to drudge through KimiAru last season and Night Wizard the season before that...

Quote:
Like I said before though, the creative staff seems way more skilled than previous versions and I think the effort shows.
Effort and skill does not necessarily mean good execution. Dragonaut had an interesting premise, it looked great and the action scenes were better than average, but general consensus puts that show on fail level. Gonzo really tried on that one, for sure, but I still didn't like it.

Quote:
If they can put in some genuine twists in the story, the show could genuinely be good. That's the hope anyway.
Sadly, that's very little in the way of making me go on with the series so far. For example, Rental Magica had the world setting of east myth meets west myth, and H20 had the Christian underlying theme, and with the hope that there might be a 'plot twist (or even something interesting) later on, those helped me get through the 'bad' episodes.

But this? Uhhh... mahou shoujo and/or shounen action with reverse harem on the side? With Angelique's mainstay of a plot of becoming the queen and those trying to prevent that or use her for their own ends? Nothing in there for me so far. I'll be giving this series the obligatory 3 episodes, but I'm certainly not giving it 9 in hopes of something interesting that might or might not come this way. Unless of course, I'm really REALLY bored with nothing to watch, but considering that spring season is shaping up to be a very good one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkz
But I'm surprised DK3, I didn't know you dislike harem titles that much.
Me slamming R+V and KimiAru wasn't enough last season? My ratings of H2o was pretty bad for the 'harem' mode right until the final arc, of whcih I thought was brilliant except for that little snag at the end. And on the other end of spectrum, the entire reason why Clannad lost major points for me was that they deviated from the main theme and gone the 'harem' route for pretty much most of the second cour. I guess 'love polygon' was too subtle a reference towards 'harem' lol.

I guess it IS time I be explicit of my dislike of the genre, outside of the 'what genre you dislike' threads in the general section.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 11:13   Link #29
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I'm with everyone else in hoping Angelique won't become a brainless damsel-in-distress, but since she was studying to become a doctor, I hope she has a doctor's brains somewhere in her pretty little head.
Or the mind of a cold hearted KILLER!!

Well, we will just have to see how dependent she is on the guys. The first impression she gave me is that she isn't head strong and lacks resolve. I expect the first few instances where she is faced with an enemy to become more of a hindrance than a help, but from then on I don't know. I am free to have my mind changed by her though if she shows that she isn't a damsel.

Quote:
Me slamming R+V and KimiAru wasn't enough last season? My ratings of H2o was pretty bad for the 'harem' mode right until the final arc, of whcih I thought was brilliant except for that little snag at the end. And on the other end of spectrum, the entire reason why Clannad lost major points for me was that they deviated from the main theme and gone the 'harem' route for pretty much most of the second cour. I guess 'love polygon' was too subtle a reference towards 'harem' lol.

I guess it IS time I be explicit of my dislike of the genre, outside of the 'what genre you dislike' threads in the general section.
I think you should

I should probably lurk moar as well

But I still can't believe how much people can dislike the end of H2O *grumbles* >.>

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2008-04-13, 22:37   Link #30
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

OP

I didn't have anywhere near the fun with the second episode as I did with the first. Then again, I was enjoying the first episode in spite of itself.
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 02:31   Link #31
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Doesn't interest me either, as most magical girl shows are in my book the shoujo equivalent of shounen action. (And God knows how I dislike shounen even more than harem) Of course there's always exceptions that contain something different from the rest of the genre, like say Shugo Chara or CCS, but they're far from the rule.
I know fully well that most 'generic' shone and shoujo/magical girl shows tend to not attract many people. I know it's generic.

Quote:
I'd say I'm pretty tolerant considering I'm not dropping this show right off the bat, or even actually giving it a chance despite me not liking ALL the previous iterations before. And me forcing myself to drudge through KimiAru last season and Night Wizard the season before that...
I didn't think badly of Night Wizard as I thought I would and KimiAru was good within reason IMO. I guess it's mainly because I try to derive enjoyment out of whatever a certain show gives me instead of criticizing the overall show as I should if I were to gauge it against other truly great shows. Though with those types of shows, they're a hard sell and I normally don't recommend those types. And most certainly, I do tier the different quality anime accordingly in my mind.

Quote:
Effort and skill does not necessarily mean good execution. Dragonaut had an interesting premise, it looked great and the action scenes were better than average, but general consensus puts that show on fail level. Gonzo really tried on that one, for sure, but I still didn't like it.
I don't know about Dragonaut. It was good by Gonzo standards in terms of production, but bad in pacing, writing, etc. If anything, Neo Angelique should be generic so it shouldn't catastrophically fall apart like Dragonaut did. Also, by Koei's standards, this one literally looks like their best production effort and may even have a bit better pacing (I contribute that to the writer, however generic the premise actually is) than La Corda.

For what it is, within its own genre and the expectations there in, I think Neo Angelique should excite fans of the genre at least. I'm not a huge shoujo junkie, but I'm personally excited. Not saying anyone else would, because I'd imagine most would hate it.

Quote:
But this? Uhhh... mahou shoujo and/or shounen action with reverse harem on the side? With Angelique's mainstay of a plot of becoming the queen and those trying to prevent that or use her for their own ends? Nothing in there for me so far. I'll be giving this series the obligatory 3 episodes, but I'm certainly not giving it 9 in hopes of something interesting that might or might not come this way. Unless of course, I'm really REALLY bored with nothing to watch, but considering that spring season is shaping up to be a very good one...
You may as well drop it if it doesn't interest you that much or have an innate bias against such series.

I do admit that my appetite for anime is probably very rare. I once followed 40 different shows at once when I started watching fansubs and even some RAWs a few years ago and like I said, I tend to derive enjoyment out of whatever good things a show may do. The only genre I might be put off is the generic Sentai of the 80's or even today (sentai tends to be a lot more straightforward than even the vast majority of shonen and very formulaic at times. I did enjoy some in the 80's, but that was one of the only things to watch back then) and the super Yaoi, graphically male homosexual types of shows. Magical girl shows are a very acquired taste no doubt, but within reason of the show itself and its generic premise, I see no reason why I wouldn't recommend Neo Angelique Abyss.... to the fans of the genre. I really have no reasons to sell anyone who wouldn't get into it or just about everyone else who may have that level of tolerance for 'bad' shows as I probably do.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 07:56   Link #32
domino
デレデレ

Whoa, the opening...! I was expecting a slow lazy ballad without much movement, but... wow. I can't even remember the last time I saw a shoujo anime with animation like this...

That said, everything is so good-looking and well-drawn and well-animated and shiny that I will watch on no matter how things turn out. It can develop into every episode being 30 minutes of Angelique just standing there mindlessly picking her nose, but as long as it's nose-picking that's as well-animated as the opening, I will watch it on the edge of my seat.
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 18:57   Link #33
Kaoru Chujo
Sakura Ayane

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I'm with everyone else in hoping Angelique won't become a brainless damsel-in-distress, but since she was studying to become a doctor, I hope she has a doctor's brains somewhere in her pretty little head....
Well, we know she's not brainless, even if her manner is very, uh, feminine. And she is in fact the one who always rescues her rescuers, since she is the biggest cannon. I love the fundamental myth here of the gentle, retiring person who has the greatest power, and can use it when necessary, despite her reticence.

I thoroughly enjoyed ep2. The standard plot, with a few neat touches, and everything, as domino says, so "shiny." I loved the fanservice of all kinds: bishounen, bishounen's rear view, Angie's "absolute territory," basically all of the costumes, especially Angie's boots, and even the architectural fanservice of the house, the grounds, and her room (right down to a tea-set waiting for her, lol). You could say this show is shameless in catering to its target audience. But that goes for all successful anime, doesn't it? And this show seems to be spreading the fanservice far and wide, perhaps attracting new audiences?
SAKURA Ayane 佐倉綾音 age 20. Dream Eater Merry; Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) Hotaru; Joshiraku Buratei Marii; NakaImo Miyabi; Kokoro Connect Yui's sister; Vividred Operation Akane; Toaru Majutsu no Index: Endymion no Kiseki (movie) Ladylee; Aiura Mei; Love Lab "Eno"; il sole penetra le illusioni Fuyuna; Eccentric Family Kaisei; High School DxD New Gaspard; Kimi no Iru Machi Asuka; Non Non Biyori Natsumi; Tokyo Ravens Suzuka; Engaged to the Unidentified Nadeshiko; Pretty Rhythm All Star Selection: Prism Show Best Ten (movie) Ayami, Rinne; Selector Infected Wixoss Yuzuki; Dragonar Academy Silvia; Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka? Kokoa; Knights of Sidonia Mozuku.
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2014 previews | spring 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Nobunaga the Fool | Nisekoi | Wixoss | Isshuukan Friends | Brynhildr in the Darkness | Kanojo ga Flag wo Oretara | Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to | Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san | Soul Eater Not | No Game, No Life | Is the Order a Rabbit? | Nanana's Buried Treasure | Mekakucity Actors | Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei | Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou | Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii | Coffin-Princess Chaika
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 19:31   Link #34
littlekitty

I'm getting major Kimikiss vibes from the OP. (This is a good sign) Hurray for character outlines!

BTW what is with having VA's singing the OP/ED nowadays? First S.A and now this....

Does anyone else get the feeling that there will be a RaynexAngeliquexNyx triangle?
Old 2008-04-14, 20:01   Link #35
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekitty View Post
I'm getting major Kimikiss vibes from the OP. (This is a good sign) Hurray for character outlines!

BTW what is with having VA's singing the OP/ED nowadays? First S.A and now this....

Does anyone else get the feeling that there will be a RaynexAngeliquexNyx triangle?
I am getting the feeling that everyone will fall in love with her instead.

And i know this is a bit off-topic,but everyone keep saying that the OP for S.A suck,is that so?
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 20:16   Link #36
littlekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinatsu-no-miya View Post

And i know this is a bit off-topic,but everyone keep saying that the OP for S.A suck,is that so?
Everyone might fall for Angelique but as the ED shows, she will choose somebody. She just has to. And I think Rayne and Nyx are the front runners because they were introduced to us in episode 1. (RAYNE FTW) I'm PRAYING that this does not turn out like La Corda where the final relationship is left "open-ended."

On S.A....I am among the few that love the OP as well as the anime. Not fond of the VA doing the song, but it doesn't really matter that much to me.
Old 2008-04-14, 20:28   Link #37
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekitty View Post
Are you serious?
Seiyuu have been doing that for...
uhh...
years.

Look up any shounen harem and one or more of the seiyuu involved probably sang the OP/ED.
Most slice-of-life had seiyuu singing the OP/ED.
A good deal of the lower production value visual novel adaptations had a seiyuu singing the OP/ED.
As for shoujo rom-com, I'm not quite sure, since I haven't seen many.
Something that randomly comes to mind as well is the slower, deep series Kino's Journey, which had its ED sung by the titular character's seiyuu in 2003.

Even in higher end top class (in regards to budget) produced anime have had affiliated seiyuu sing the OP/ED, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, Zero no Tsukaima, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinatsu-no-miya View Post

Well, it's a harem, so they're all obviously going to fall for her, and her likely choice will be... eh... forget his name, but he's the guy with the red hair.

I don't particularly remember the OP for S.A., but it if was sung by Yuko Goto, it could have gone either way.
Old 2008-04-14, 21:18   Link #38
littlekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Are you serious?
Seiyuu have been doing that for...
uhh...
years.
Yeah you're right...I think it was more noticeable this time around
Old 2008-04-15, 12:30   Link #39
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

ep 2
Spoiler:

Old 2008-04-15, 13:16   Link #40
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Angie's healing spell BGM reminds me of those cheesy BGM played during a battle in an RPG game ~ soo angelic
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if an RPG game is exactly where that music came from.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shoujo