AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Soul Eater

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-04-20, 15:41   Link #1061
hanseo
CC's Shining Knight
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SC, USA
Age: 26
nice signs
hanseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 17:37   Link #1062
Darklightz
Wagering his life...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Well I got mixed feelings about this one. I loved the first episode as much as I hate the 2nd one. Got I hate Black Star so much, I utterly despise over-enthusiastic brats who never think of anything and everyone forgives because they're so lively. That boy is even worse than Naruto. I dearly hope he'll just be a secondary characters. At least Death the Kid seems more interesting.
Darklightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 17:46   Link #1063
Dove
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Black Star is a paraody of Naruto and no one forgave him. Tsubaki sees the potential in him, but she also thinks he is an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
When you refer to the style of Soul Eater. It is true the style comes from the world design and costuming (plus the anime's music). Less so from the directing or the story.

I like Soul Eater but it is true, if you aren't smitten by the eye candy, there's not much else to it to make it stand out.
I disagree the characters among other things make the anime stand out. Maka and soul's relationship while cliche in some respects is unique in others. Maka is not really just some uptight girl, but she distrust men and Soul wants to be a really "cool" guy. Black Star is an overblown parody of his archetype and Kidd has all kinds of problems. None of the main characters are losers of any kind and all of them are quite skilled at what they do. So while Soul Eater may borrow conventions of other Shounen it does manage to stand out on its own. A nice art style can only get an anime or Manga so far.

Last edited by Dove; 2008-04-20 at 18:09.
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 17:58   Link #1064
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I certainly admit I grit my teeth when he's onscreen -- the connection to N***to explains why.... those kind of people just get everyone around them killed
Fortunately, Tsubaki being onscreen keeps me from fastforwarding. Everything else looking quite lovely though it appears Death Kid may just be a teeny bit neurotic, ya think?

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-04-20 at 18:28.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 18:26   Link #1065
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
My next trace project.

-->

Sorry if the wallie has already been posted. I am just including it here for the sake of a quick comparison.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 18:38   Link #1066
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
My next trace project.

-->

Sorry if the wallie has already been posted. I am just including it here for the sake of a quick comparison.
Looks great. Looking forward to the finished product.
__________________
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:08   Link #1067
Nenkitsune
Ive been MikuCaramellized
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Black Star= The new Naruto.
the kid even SOUNDS like him
__________________

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:11   Link #1068
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
I quite like Black Star as a character. I see some awesome potentional in him, and i look forward to that being unlocked as we progress with the series.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:17   Link #1069
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Much props to KiNA for giving me the 411 on this series...This series is sick!! I love the animation which seems to be a mixture of One Piece and Bleach only much crisper and clean...The characters are indeed basic so far, but this show is about style over substance and that style is one to behold...The Opening theme scenes are so tight I nearly choked on my beer because I was focusing on the screen so hard over my own sipping abilities^^...The action sequences are so rich with those irregularities in the animation that made shows like FLCL, Gurren-Tengen, and Noien so visually unique..I hope this series is pretty long because I can't get enuff of it's visual Kool-aid...

God, as much as the big franchise shonen's are making you'd think they could produce a 10-12 episode arc on the level Soul Eater has shown in only 2 episodes..Keep it up...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:33   Link #1070
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zeon
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
Black Star= The new Naruto.
the kid even SOUNDS like him
I am the God (Black Star)
I'm Going to be the Hokage ( Naruto)

Sounds similar doesn't it
__________________
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:55   Link #1071
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I hope this series is pretty long because I can't get enuff of it's visual Kool-aid...
No need to worry there, we have 51 episodes in total.

A whole year of Soul Eater.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:16   Link #1072
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Black Star is so much more than Naruto, people, honestly...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:28   Link #1073
Zoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Black Star is so much more than Naruto, people, honestly...
Naruto is so much more than people claim Naruto to be.

The comparison is very appropriate, IMO.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:29   Link #1074
iwubanime
FMP wubber
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 29
Has anyone read anything on whether the uncut version will have anything different than the regular version? I want to know if I should bother watching it...

I was a little annoyed at first with this episode, until I read that the first three episodes will all be sort of an "intro to" certain characters.
__________________

iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:30   Link #1075
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I don't *think* anyone is equating the two series (though there are superficial parallels I suppose...). If I thought there was a lot of similarity, I'd simply not be here or watching the series (I've seen plenty of the other to form an educated opinion). But there is obviously some skewering of the "insane ego" character archetype with Black Star --- and the potential is having him learn to channel that "enthusiasm" about himself into something useful.
Each character in this series is kind of twist on the "usual archetype"... so if Blackstar's personality matures as we move along, that's a very good sign.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:03   Link #1076
Dove
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I certainly admit I grit my teeth when he's onscreen -- the connection to N***to explains why.... those kind of people just get everyone around them killed
Fortunately, Tsubaki being onscreen keeps me from fastforwarding. Everything else looking quite lovely though it appears Death Kid may just be a teeny bit neurotic, ya think?
That is one of Soul Eater's strength. Each character is a parody of it's archetype or some odd twist on one.
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:09   Link #1077
Zoe
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwubanime View Post
Has anyone read anything on whether the uncut version will have anything different than the regular version? I want to know if I should bother watching it...
So far they've been exactly the same. The only changes have been voice-over jokes on top of recycled footage during the eye-catches and previews.

Quote:
I was a little annoyed at first with this episode, until I read that the first three episodes will all be sort of an "intro to" certain characters.
Yes, the first three chapters are prologues that were published long before the series actually started.

Keep in mind that there will still be "introduction" episodes following the prologues, but they'll be of the more standard variety.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:14   Link #1078
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
I'll be damn, If the intro episodes are considered the "weak ones", I'll probably end up pissing my pants once the serious stuff begins.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:44   Link #1079
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I don't like Black star either but Tsubaki is my fav char in the series. Why does she have to be paired with an idiot like him... Although all the male in the series have some personality problems. If only she could pair with Maka.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 22:20   Link #1080
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: http://www.exciting-tits.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Much props to KiNA for giving me the 411 on this series...This series is sick!! I love the animation which seems to be a mixture of One Piece and Bleach only much crisper and clean...The characters are indeed basic so far, but this show is about style over substance and that style is one to behold...The Opening theme scenes are so tight I nearly choked on my beer because I was focusing on the screen so hard over my own sipping abilities^^...The action sequences are so rich with those irregularities in the animation that made shows like FLCL, Gurren-Tengen, and Noien so visually unique..I hope this series is pretty long because I can't get enuff of it's visual Kool-aid...

God, as much as the big franchise shonen's are making you'd think they could produce a 10-12 episode arc on the level Soul Eater has shown in only 2 episodes..Keep it up...


You are very much welcome

And as Shiroth say, this series is schedule for 51/52 episodes and the journey start in 2 episode

Enjoy the ride ^^
__________________
“This be the realest shit I ever wrote.” ~Tupac
So very dead right now.. but still breathing thank you.
Top 4 Manga Waifu
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa


KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, death the kid, shounen, soul eater

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.