AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Soul Eater

Notices

Old 2009-03-23, 23:10   Link #1501
Kotobasuu
OCD Cowgirl

Send a message via AIM to Kotobasuu Send a message via MSN to Kotobasuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Kid is too, they honestly needed to more with him.
amen to that.

The show has gone downhill from the past dozen episodes, but i still enjoy watching it because i love the characters and love seeing them interact. Aka even if the plot sucked or the story was going nowhere, I'd still watch it because i have an attachment with all of the main characters, even Black Star despite him being my least favorite.

Death the Kidd is MOE~!
Kotobasuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 23:45   Link #1502
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
*Bad* (naruto filler)>Deltora quest>Beet exlioin>Soul eater>Beet>(Naruto at best)>Bleach>DGM(due to balanced writing) *good*

SE has a good plot but dose not maintain itself well story wise like the new Slayers series to much wittless humor not enough drama and fun SE aint all bad, there are better and worst shows out there.
Interesting scale. I just am a real picky eater I guess. SE anime kinda lost steam in the last 4th (Arachnophobia and Medusa are more interesting in the manga), but it has no real loose ends so in that case it is sucessful.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 18:36   Link #1503
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Soul Eater's writing is trite and unoriginal. Still FUN sure, but characters are not very deep at all. They are all archetypes in the grand scheme of literature, too shallow to be anything else.

However, Maka is a nice refresing change from the normal shonen protag. She does every thing by the numbers according to the story, but she's not some hot headed young buck out to conquer the world (ie NOT BLACK STAR).

She's a studious lanky bookworm who still kicks ass. Fun and unique compared the other shonen protags.

Kid is too, they honestly needed to more with him. Essentially a preppy intellegent OCD'er who happens to be a grim reaper in training. They could have done more with him. He has probably the best gags in the show. (Mamoru Miyano RULES as him, it's my favorite role he has played)

Still they all are decent to watch as a team
Okay so I had this pretty long thing typed out about how I think Soul Eater has a pretty great plot and pacing, but then I remembered you guys were talking about characters. So now I'm basically going to react against the way you seem to have equated depth with originality.

First, a correction on the word 'archetype'. The way you talk about shallowness (and try to summarize characters in as few words as possible) makes me think you are talking about stereotypes, not archetypes. An archetype is a recurring character (element, really) which adds depth by virtue of their history (as a symbol). A stereotype would be the sort of character which has no depth besides its resemblance to another character. So your comments about shallowness really would not have any place in this discussion, if only it didn't seem that the original poster (who brought up this topic) were under this misconception him/herself.

But as for the shallowness itself. Frankly, I disagree. Now I will admit, quite a few characters in Soul Eater are shallow. Shinigami, for one, whose main trait (and gag) is his frivolity. Maka's dad, who is a womanizing pervert. Patty, too, whose main ability seems to be to giggle (amusingly) retardedly. But Kidd too (ohmigosh, one of your 'originals', right?!?!), who seems almost to be entirely defined by his (unjustified) obssession with symmetry (probably, as you noted, for humour purposes--that's shallow humour, though, btw--note, I am not saying that it isn't funny).

But Black Star, honestly, is not shallow. Neither is Tsubaki. And probably not Stein. The thing is Black Star, no matter how much he may superficially resemble Naruto (not a shallow character either btw, if not particularly likeable), has received some background along with his character. Some justification for why he is the way he is, and more importantly--some development. Black Star may be loud and annoying, but that's because he wants to be judged for his personality, not his familial background (that's about as far as the similarities to Naruto extend). Black Star may want to attain absolute power, but that's because he wants to reject other people, not force them to acknowledge him. And Black Star may have a demon inside, but it is something he is tempted by in his quest for power, not something he wants to reject or control. And through his interactions with Mifune, Masamune, and Tsubaki's family, Black Star learns that being a 'Big Guy' means being someone who can do big things, not just beat everybody to a pulp. That's a lot of character work for someone who's just a 'Naruto clone', and Tsubaki's development is no less present (or poignant). Maka and Soul are also presented with a fair amount of background and empathetic intention, but not with as much success as Tsubaki and Black Star (in my opinion). As for the 'probably' I threw out with Stein, that's because despite him falling so much into the 'Mad Scientist' archetype (that's actually archetype, this time), he shows a remarkable amount of constraint and willingness to be bound by the rules of society. Regardless, my point is that Soul Eater's writing isn't really shallow from any angle (at least in terms of the manga, though the character analysis applies fairly evenly on both sides, and that is what we are discussing here).
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 19:58   Link #1504
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Okay so I had this pretty long thing typed out about how I think Soul Eater has a pretty great plot and pacing, but then I remembered you guys were talking about characters. So now I'm basically going to react against the way you seem to have equated depth with originality.

First, a correction on the word 'archetype'. The way you talk about shallowness (and try to summarize characters in as few words as possible) makes me think you are talking about stereotypes, not archetypes. An archetype is a recurring character (element, really) which adds depth by virtue of their history (as a symbol). A stereotype would be the sort of character which has no depth besides its resemblance to another character. So your comments about shallowness really would not have any place in this discussion, if only it didn't seem that the original poster (who brought up this topic) were under this misconception him/herself.

But as for the shallowness itself. Frankly, I disagree. Now I will admit, quite a few characters in Soul Eater are shallow. Shinigami, for one, whose main trait (and gag) is his frivolity. Maka's dad, who is a womanizing pervert. Patty, too, whose main ability seems to be to giggle (amusingly) retardedly. But Kidd too (ohmigosh, one of your 'originals', right?!?!), who seems almost to be entirely defined by his (unjustified) obssession with symmetry (probably, as you noted, for humour purposes--that's shallow humour, though, btw--note, I am not saying that it isn't funny).

But Black Star, honestly, is not shallow. Neither is Tsubaki. And probably not Stein. The thing is Black Star, no matter how much he may superficially resemble Naruto (not a shallow character either btw, if not particularly likeable), has received some background along with his character. Some justification for why he is the way he is, and more importantly--some development. Black Star may be loud and annoying, but that's because he wants to be judged for his personality, not his familial background (that's about as far as the similarities to Naruto extend). Black Star may want to attain absolute power, but that's because he wants to reject other people, not force them to acknowledge him. And Black Star may have a demon inside, but it is something he is tempted by in his quest for power, not something he wants to reject or control. And through his interactions with Mifune, Masamune, and Tsubaki's family, Black Star learns that being a 'Big Guy' means being someone who can do big things, not just beat everybody to a pulp. That's a lot of character work for someone who's just a 'Naruto clone', and Tsubaki's development is no less present (or poignant). Maka and Soul are also presented with a fair amount of background and empathetic intention, but not with as much success as Tsubaki and Black Star (in my opinion). As for the 'probably' I threw out with Stein, that's because despite him falling so much into the 'Mad Scientist' archetype (that's actually archetype, this time), he shows a remarkable amount of constraint and willingness to be bound by the rules of society. Regardless, my point is that Soul Eater's writing isn't really shallow from any angle (at least in terms of the manga, though the character analysis applies fairly evenly on both sides, and that is what we are discussing here).
We are discussing the anime not the manga.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 15:16   Link #1505
solomon

Sol Falling, good point on the sterotype and archtype misnomer. That is a good point of clarification.

We will have to agree to disagree on the whole "non-shallow ness" of characters in Soul Eater however. And for the record the manga and anime are of equal "depth" in character as far as I am concerned
Old 2009-03-26, 15:51   Link #1506
lmd_84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post

I see your point about characterisation, but would contest that Kid's definition through his obsessions is simply there for comedy. It is indeed exploited for a laugh, but it is very much present in everything he does, a use which is frequently far from comical.

The occasions where Kid has become distracted in a fight could be potentially lethal for his allies, if not himself; he would see the whole world symmetrical were it not for his loyalty to his father and his responsibilities as a shinigami over-riding his obsessions.

I think there's a method to Kid's almost absurd single-mindedness behind the comedy value, and it's not necessarily a good one. The manga at least emphasises that order and chaos both exist, yet Kid places himself very much on the former side of the supposed divide.

On Shinigami and Spirit: part of me wants to agree with you, as one can't really deny the silliness of both characters. However, in Shinigami's defence, he adopted the manner in order to form Shibusen and as he remarks to Asura he simply "got used to it". It's not the whole of his character, and to an extent is something of a facade.

And as for Spirit, that same womanizing lost him his wife and daughter, which is not excusable but nor is it all that we see of the character; look at how he treats Stein, or acts seriously around Shinigami and Medusa. I guess I'm trying to point out that the predominant traits of those two are by definition not all there is to them, and this is something Okubo (as opposed to Bones) has shown on several occasions.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 17:17   Link #1507
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd_84 View Post
I see your point about characterisation, but would contest that Kid's definition through his obsessions is simply there for comedy. It is indeed exploited for a laugh, but it is very much present in everything he does, a use which is frequently far from comical.

The occasions where Kid has become distracted in a fight could be potentially lethal for his allies, if not himself; he would see the whole world symmetrical were it not for his loyalty to his father and his responsibilities as a shinigami over-riding his obsessions.

I think there's a method to Kid's almost absurd single-mindedness behind the comedy value, and it's not necessarily a good one. The manga at least emphasises that order and chaos both exist, yet Kid places himself very much on the former side of the supposed divide.
Think you have a good point about Kid. There have been times along the way that they have shown his problem in a serious light. It's not just comedy but a chaotic element in the show. He nearly got himself killed by that Pharoh and was unable to act for some time during the attempt to stop Asura from being revived. It can be a comedic thing, but it's also dangerous to him and his allies. If it got out of control he could do some dangerous things since the world really isn't up to the standard her wants.

Still definitely agree with what Sol Falling had to say in regards to Black Star. There is a lot more to the guy than some might think. His motivations have been very clearly shown through the series. He's far from a simple hot head or a Naruto clone. Tsubaki as well has developed through the story and the reasons for her behaviour early in the series is easy to understand. The way she grew up and avoided stating what she wanted to do. Think the clear growth in her character came from refusing to use the Fey Blade against Asura right after his revival. Flatly stating what she would not do which was something I couldn't see her doing in the first couple episodes.
Old 2009-03-31, 14:02   Link #1508
Giggi

Uhm.. I saw that episode 51 will be the last one of the anime.. what about the manga?
Does the story continue after the events on these late episodes, or it's really just the end?
And if the manga is already talking about other events, will there be a season 2 for the anime?

I really like Soul Eater, especially this late part in the anime, and I would be kinda disappointed if this is just it.
Giggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 14:04   Link #1509
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggi View Post
Uhm.. I saw that episode 51 will be the last one of the anime.. what about the manga?
Does the story continue after the events on these late episodes, or it's really just the end?
And if the manga is already talking about other events, will there be a season 2 for the anime?

I really like Soul Eater, especially this late part in the anime, and I would be kinda disappointed if this is just it.
The end for the anime was anime original, meaning the story you have just witnessed in the last arc is not in the original manga. I'm not exavtly sure what episode it was when the anime started it's own story --- i'm guessing it's around the same time the Medusa came to Shibusen.
Old 2009-03-31, 16:22   Link #1510
lmd_84

Before, technically. Certainly Medusa coming to Shibusen was used in another way.

The Brew arc ended differently in the manga, where the kids backed down to avoid the vortex killing them because they knew that Mosquito had further forms to use (thus more time). Maka also didn't get to attack with the team resonance, and Demon Hunter comes about in a very different fashion later on.
Old 2009-04-01, 07:49   Link #1511
solomon

By the mid 30s, the manga-anime relation ratio was already breaking down. Particularly after the fight in Alaska.

Overall, meh it was ok (anime original). I liked the coffee gags with BJ, they were really funny.
Old 2009-04-08, 13:13   Link #1512
libba
nepenthes rajah

Hey what is this? A new season? An OVA? The page is in Russian but the YouTube kind of video insertion at the center is pretty obvious.
libba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 14:46   Link #1513
lmd_84

It looks like video bits from one of the games. From the presence of Grimoire, Monotone Princess, I think?
Old 2009-04-08, 16:35   Link #1514
libba
nepenthes rajah

Oh, pity. I started hoping for the second season.
libba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 22:39   Link #1515
ellifeedn
Thinker

After looking at wikipedia again, I went and digged up an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I was looking on the wikipedia Soul Eater chapters article when I saw who were the cover characters. I'm surprised that they didn't put Excalibur or even Shinigami on any one of the covers. I wonder which character would qualify for a spot.
It seems that Excalibur is the cover character of volume 14. And it's probably appropriate that he's by himself.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 06:33   Link #1516
Sciel
Etoilé

Just started watching the anime again ( I stopped at episode 5 at first) and i must say its hilarious .
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 21:38   Link #1517
Soul Eater
ソウルイーター

Question Soul Eater

Is there going to be any more seasons?

Last edited by Soul Eater; 2009-09-06 at 22:03.
Soul Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 22:21   Link #1518
Senden

I hope.. havn't finished it all yet but damn it's the best new anime i've watched since tales of the abyss finished and before I started watching ghost.
Senden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 22:26   Link #1519
Soul Eater
ソウルイーター

What part are you on right now. What episode
Soul Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 23:04   Link #1520
qwertyuiopz

dont think so
if they do it has to be done like fma then
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags