AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-26, 19:41   Link #561
FruitsPunchSamurai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Oh dear no, I was just retorting the "nothing noteworthy nothing memorable just cheese but it seems like viewers nowadays like cheese." statement as it seemed like you really hated "cheese" and to bring you to light that Bleach is all about cheese if you, yourself haven't noticed, that's all. And while it is true you haven't mocked anyone, you sure are mocking the series in an uncontrolled manner which makes you look like a troll (and I apologise if that isn't your intention, it's just a feeling).
Last time I check this is a discussion forum, you can accept or dismiss my opinion on the matter and accept the fact that I disagree with your argument and vice versa, I'm not one of the GONZO SUCKS SO THIS ANIME IS BAD posters since I'll admit this anime didn't sink to the abysmal treaches of Dragonaut and I did enjoy some aspects of it to not drop it halfway through like most people did, I'm just being critical of it's aspects and not dismiss it as "LOL entertainment" or "don't take it too seriously" garbage everyone seems to spout when they have nothing of interest in the matter whatsoever.
Quote:
Well anyway, I don't watch anime for the sake of looking at their marketing strategy or whatnot so frankly I don't give a damn if Gonzo tries to bribe viewers with BOOBS as I know it won't be working on me. What did work though was the story, the ending and the enjoyment of this series for being a "guilty pleasure".
Fair enough.
FruitsPunchSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 19:51   Link #562
rg4619

Quote:
Sadly, Gonzo is expecting the western fanbase to react as they think they would like in Japan but really...with the internet and all, the proportion of people going out and buy DVDs is next to none compared to the leechers, especially since a lot of fans are skimpy with money.
I don't think Gonzo is banking on the western market anymore. Aside from Afro Samurai, virtually all their recent products have been aimed at Japanese otaku, so there's been a strategic shift.

By getting subbed downloads and DVDs out fast, they can make the best of a bad situation (minimize lost revenue as best as possible). However, the company is certainly aware of how poorly this market is doing.

Quote:
they wonder why they have financial problems. they keep making anime in the same way and try NEW business models.
In terms of business models, Gonzo's was possibly the most progressive in the business. However, they played high stakes games and repeatedly lost.

The model seems to have changed now, so I don't think we can accuse them of ignoring a problem.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 20:01   Link #563
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
In terms of business models, Gonzo's was possibly the most progressive in the business. However, they played high stakes games and repeatedly lost.

The model seems to have changed now, so I don't think we can accuse them of ignoring a problem.
changing business models is not the problem, they keep trying new things on how to market their anime. that is the problem, it doesn't matter how well you try to market crap, it will still be crap.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 09:44   Link #564
plau

So does anyone have have any information on the last Mecha? To me, it kind of looks like the Knight of One's Galahad (from Code Geass R2). Just a small resemblance...
plau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 19:39   Link #565
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

I like this show a few levels up from Dnutz.

Oh and BTW blame pre production committees for bad anime, they are the ones that focus a series on fan service to try and bum rush dvd sales(IE try and artificially pump sales...)........
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 09:52   Link #566
Kraker2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by plau View Post
So does anyone have have any information on the last Mecha? To me, it kind of looks like the Knight of One's Galahad (from Code Geass R2). Just a small resemblance...
Its from Volume 0 zero of the manga, the mecha is called "Machina" it was apparently some kind of one shot story or a prototype of the Linebarrels manga before it got serialized. I think they just accepted it as some sort of alternate reality in the anime.
Old 2009-05-08, 14:42   Link #567
BloodRaevynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
I liked this series more than I thought I would, it probably helped that it didn't take itself too seriously. At the end I only have one burning question, what was Yamashita's gender ?
Yamashita is a boy. Satoru is a boy's name and he uses the "boku" form of "I," that's about as far as the anime goes (as far as I've watched it anyway); the _manga_, however, makes his gender pretty clear. To begin with, when Ishigami formally introduces him (Vol 2, page 86) he very clearly says "he" (using an actual genitive third-person pronoun is not terribly common in Japanese btw, which indicates it was something the manga-ka didn't want people to get confused about - unfortunately, that didn't help the scanlators, who still misidentified Yamashita as female). Also in the manga version of "From the Tropics with Love" (Vol 0, ch 1/episode 12), the bikini incident is very clearly played as a gag from the beginning (Shizuna's presentation of Yamashita directly parallels Ogawa's presentation of Kizaki in format), and Izuna's response to it, far from the anime's passive "what are you guys doing?" is nothing short of outraged ("What are you doing, big sister!!? Your joke is too over-the-top!! And you, Yamashita-san; aren't you embarrassed to be dressed like that!!?").

Some other things that support Yamashita being male - his speech pattern (beyond the use of "boku"), body language (at least when he's not visibly crushing on Moritsugu), lack of chest (even Rachel has a bit of boobage), rather "chummy" relationship with Kouichi (who tends to treat and talk to women a bit differently than men), having only one earlobe pierced, and wearing a masculine version of the corporate uniform.

The use of the "-kun" suffix is _not_ evidence of Yamashita's gender; it no longer has any strong genitive connotations (if you were watching a much older anime or one set in the past it would be different).

Things that support Yamashita being female - *chirping crickets*

..Yeah, being voiced by a girl doesn't mean anything. Having a crush on a guy only means he's gay or bi. Lack of bulge? Well, you can accept the "invisible penis syndrome" explanation (which is something any Yaoi fan is familiar with), or if that doesn't satisfy you, try googling "how to tuck."

Last edited by BloodRaevynn; 2009-05-08 at 16:02.
BloodRaevynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-08, 15:57   Link #568
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRaevynn View Post
Yamashita is a boy. Satoru is a boy's name and he uses the "boku" form of "I," that's about as far as the anime goes (as far as I've watched it anyway); the _manga_, however, makes his gender pretty clear. To begin with, when Ishigami formally introduces him (Vol 2, page 86) he very clearly says "he" (using an actual genitive third-person pronoun is not terribly common in Japanese btw, which indicates it was something the manga-ka didn't want people to get confused about - unfortunately, that didn't help the scanlators, who still misidentified Yamashita as female). Also in the manga version of "From the Tropics with Love" (Vol 0, ch 1/episode 12), the bikini incident is very clearly played as a gag from the beginning (Shizuna's presentation of Yamashita directly parallels Ogawa's presentation of Kizaki in format), and Izuna's response to it, far from the anime's passive "what are you guys doing?" is nothing short of outraged ("What are you doing, big sister!!? Your joke is too over-the-top!! And you, Yamashita-san; aren't you embarrassed to be dressed like that!!?").

Some other things that support Yamashita being male - his speech pattern (beyond the use of "boku"), body language (at least when he's not visibly crushing on Moritsugu), lack of chest (even Rachel has a bit of boobage), rather "chummy" relationship with Kouichi (who tends to treat and talk to women a bit differently than men), having only one earlobe pierced, and wearing a masculine version of the corporate uniform.

Things that support Yamashita being female - *chirping crickets*

..Yeah, being voiced by a girl doesn't mean anything. Having a crush on a guy only means he's gay or bi. Lack of bulge? Well, you can accept the "invisible penis syndrome" explanation (which is something any Yaoi fan is familiar with), or if that doesn't satisfy you, try googling "how to tuck."
If it was a reverse trap then "he" would act male regardless of being so and characters would treat him as "he" appears regardless.

But regardless its ambiguous enough to have some fun if you don't read into it to deeply.
Old 2009-05-19, 03:49   Link #569
theman4life

Is that risako or yamashita in this pic?
http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/sc...ls/item234236/

Looks like yamashita to me and if it really is then why is he wearing a bra?
theman4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-19, 03:55   Link #570
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman4life View Post
Is that risako or yamashita in this pic?
http://www.animepaper.net/gallery/sc...ls/item234236/

Looks like yamashita to me and if it really is then why is he wearing a bra?
Yeah that's Yamashita, and he's wearing a bra because it makes people like me with have a certain fetish very happy.
Old 2009-05-21, 17:01   Link #571
Shear666

Also I'm sure that Yamashita is a Girl, I base it that on the Bikini Part, the fact that there actually IS something to fill it out (as you can see on many pictures including the above posted one, though it's small <.<) and the Flashback in the later part of the Series where she stands before a crashed car wearing a Girls Uniform.
There is also the part of the Island Episode, If a Boy would wear a Bikini the others would at least mention something but the only thing that happened was our Main Character acting like an Idiot (as usual ) and that she was one of the people who got trapped by the ... uh ... Octopus.
Honestly a Girl Character using the Words for Boys isn't really new.
I wish they would at least go into it more, this way we can never be sure -.- I bet there's a reason the Chief introduced here as a Boy.

But yeah I still tend to type "he" instead of "She"
Shear666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 17:20   Link #572
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shear666 View Post
Also I'm sure that Yamashita is a Girl, I base it that on the Bikini Part, the fact that there actually IS something to fill it out (as you can see on many pictures including the above posted one, though it's small <.<) and the Flashback in the later part of the Series where she stands before a crashed car wearing a Girls Uniform.
There is also the part of the Island Episode, If a Boy would wear a Bikini the others would at least mention something but the only thing that happened was our Main Character acting like an Idiot (as usual ) and that she was one of the people who got trapped by the ... uh ... Octopus.
Honestly a Girl Character using the Words for Boys isn't really new.
I wish they would at least go into it more, this way we can never be sure -.- I bet there's a reason the Chief introduced here as a Boy.

But yeah I still tend to type "he" instead of "She"
And male characters who wear female clothing and crush on boys are not new or that rare either :P

It could go either way which makes it more delicious :P
Old 2009-05-21, 17:27   Link #573
Shear666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
It could go either way which makes it more delicious :P
... I'm scared now <.<

On a side note the translation of the Linebarrel Manga 2 I downloaded has it as "she" also, so I stay with it (My Japanese is not good enough to really "read" Manga so I'll usually trust the scanlations)
Old 2009-05-21, 17:31   Link #574
ZippyDSM

Quote:
... I'm scared now <.<

On a side note the translation of the Linebarrel Manga 2 I downloaded has it as "she" also, so I stay with it (My Japanese is not good enough to really "read" Manga so I'll usually trust the scanlations)
Some scanlations say "he", its like Crona on Soul eater there's not really enough info to go one way or another in identifying gender.
Old 2009-05-21, 17:35   Link #575
Shear666

Yeah I know, I just noticed after reading those posts that the Wiki entry of Linebarrel cites Volume 2 as a Source for the "he" so I got curios but I was pretty sure the chiefs introduction was mostly gender neutral (I have the Japanese ones, got them from our Local Japanese bookstore ^^).
Old 2009-05-21, 17:43   Link #576
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Yeah I know, I just noticed after reading those posts that the Wiki entry of Linebarrel cites Volume 2 as a Source for the "he" so I got curios but I was pretty sure the chiefs introduction was mostly gender neutral (I have the Japanese ones, got them from our Local Japanese bookstore ^^).
Gender is not a huge issue for me I or most people really once you look at it from a body type kind of things some like slender or proportionate with a wide chest either broad or wide(IE bewbs) and such sure people have what they prefer which mostly falls into "male" or "female". I like female looking and have it bad for tomboys(or reverse traps), I do prefer females but I am not offended at the thought of something being ..er... "half" female.
Old 2009-05-21, 17:46   Link #577
Shear666

Well whatever floats your boat, I guess <.<
Old 2009-05-21, 18:30   Link #578
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Well whatever floats your boat, I guess <.<
Well you seem to like the boyish girls too or you would not be hot for Yamashita.
Old 2010-04-25, 00:37   Link #579
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
@thundrakkon ~ the series does get better when Kouichi stops being such an ass...well he is still an ass but not where near as awful as at the start (shockingly). I will stick with this if I were you ^^'
Ok, so after a year later, I've finally tried to pick up this series and watch it. I will come back with a response after I finished. It has been very hard to watch so far, with Kouichi just being the guy that you just have no desire to root for. Actually, at this point, I wished he died a second time and permanently this time.

Yajima seemed to be a much better person, and someone I could relate to. Kouchi so far seems like loser who adds an a-hole personality to it, who now has too much power suddenly bestowed upon him, so he is abusing it and hurting anyone along the way.

I'll come back after I finish the series and see if it was a guilty pleasure or some time I want back from life. It is really hard to watch something where you cannot relate to the main character or feel any sympathy for him.
Old 2010-05-02, 03:10   Link #580
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer

I finally finished the series, and I have to admit, it was somewhat enjoyable. Kouichi improved, but still sucks. The story as a whole has weak explainations, more style than logic. The middle of the series was better than the beginning and the end.

It had it fun parts, but was often annoying to watch. Yajimi was great at the beginning, and then he got Kouichi disease and destroyed my faith in him.

Overall, enjoyable at times, but I will never watch this series a second time.

One final thing, "We are Borg. Resistance is futile."

Tags
gonzo, mecha, sci-fi, shounen