AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-12-14, 11:25   Link #1
FireFoxcut9
The Ultimate Fire Fox
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mundford, England
Cool Roleplaying? [Request Denied!]

I'm new here so I havn't gotten quite that good look around. But from a quick look it appears you don't have many roleplaying threads....Perhaps I can start one if you don't. If anyone has any ideas I will take them!
FireFoxcut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 11:36   Link #2
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
This certainly seems like an unaddressed issue in the Forum Rules... so I'm really wondering if it's allowed or not. It'd be nice to hear the staff's opinion on the matter (I do like to do some roleplay now and then, but I'm mostly confined to tabletop and I'm not a huge fan of the forum-roleplay idea).

On another note, the fact that there aren't roleplaying threads might point out a lack of demand for them...
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 11:39   Link #3
FireFoxcut9
The Ultimate Fire Fox
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mundford, England
good point. i never thougt of that. i'm jst a big fan of different rps and it'd be funto have a few here!
FireFoxcut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 12:13   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
If you mean you want to create a Roleplaying thread (i.e. a RP game to be played here in the forum via the thread), then no, such threads are not allowed (see the "no forum games" rule).

If you want to discuss RPGs then that would be OK. Please search first of all to check if such a thread exists, if not then you could open one in the Games forum.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 12:19   Link #5
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Age: 34
No, we won't be allowing role-playing threads or forums any time soon. We don't feel this forum is an appropriate place for such things.

Role-playing, to work properly, needs a lot of management, rules, a high level of co-operation and external (from the players) adjudication. All of this would require effort on the part of the forum staff, or at least generate more work due to disputes and such. We don't have time for it. Additionally, role play by its nature involves a lot of "chat" that would be considered noise in a discussion forum. Which is the main point really. This is a forum for discussion, not games.

Edit: And I see xris has put the point more concisely while I was typing...
__________________
🐾
…to be bold, to be brave; it is the thinking that the heart can still be saved.
And the darkness can come quick. The danger's in the anger and the hanging on to it.

Last edited by NightWish; 2007-12-14 at 12:19. Reason: ...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 12:20   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
If you mean you want to create a Roleplaying thread (i.e. a RP game to be played here in the forum via the thread), then no, such threads are not allowed (see the "no forum games" rule).
I know you don't want such threads, but perhaps you should consider reforming the current rule to include the banning of RP threads, too:

Quote:
No "forum games" or "Who are you" threads. Threads like "the word game", "the person above you" or "which character in Naruto are you most like" are pointless. They are normally high volume threads with very little content of value; i.e. mostly noise or one word replies that we do not need.
It doesn't particularly address roleplay threads, since they differ from more common, pointless "forum games".

I'm not saying they should be allowed, I'm just pointing out that the rules don't specifically address RP threads, so perhaps that part should be rewritten.

EDIT: Reading Nightwish's reply on top of mine... I understand how it can be viewed as "noise"... but I still think perhaps it's not addressed correctly by the rules. May be just my impression, though.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 12:26   Link #7
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm not saying they should be allowed, I'm just pointing out that the rules don't specifically address RP threads, so perhaps that part should be rewritten.
We'll consider that when we next get around to reviewing the rules... lots of other things need reviewing/updating first

You should keep in mind the rules don't attempt to cover every possible detail about every possible case. That would be impossible. They are not written with legal rigidity in mind, they're pointers or guidelines. We require that members employ a little observation, to pick up the conventions of the forum and get a feel for how the it operates, or ask questions when they don't understand a specific situation.
__________________
🐾
…to be bold, to be brave; it is the thinking that the heart can still be saved.
And the darkness can come quick. The danger's in the anger and the hanging on to it.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 14:22   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Frankly, permabanning and being stripped of Net access is too good for posts like "Baka-hed takes a seat and cheerz 4 {anime-girl archetype #4}" in a discussion forum.

I have fun roleplaying in MMO and IRC --- not here.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 16:46   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
You should keep in mind the rules don't attempt to cover every possible detail about every possible case. That would be impossible. They are not written with legal rigidity in mind, they're pointers or guidelines. We require that members employ a little observation, to pick up the conventions of the forum and get a feel for how the it operates, or ask questions when they don't understand a specific situation.
I once had the idea of starting a thread for suggesting different forum rules. By no means do I don't mean adding or changing rules; what I'm implying is a mini-wiki aimed at re-organizing/rephrasing or adding missing content, like infractions, so the rules and FAQ sections are as complete and clear as they need to be for the great majority.

I left it be, but what do you think of it?
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 16:58   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
The rules themselves aren't open to discussion really. But what has that got to do with the thread topic.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 21:03   Link #11
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lavardian Shogunate
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
This certainly seems like an unaddressed issue in the Forum Rules... so I'm really wondering if it's allowed or not. It'd be nice to hear the staff's opinion on the matter (I do like to do some roleplay now and then, but I'm mostly confined to tabletop and I'm not a huge fan of the forum-roleplay idea).

On another note, the fact that there aren't roleplaying threads might point out a lack of demand for them...
I'd say the community should go for it. There are people out there who have lost interest in most parts of a forum, yet still have a reason to come back. Why? Because the RP they joined and have participated avidly in is much too immersing to miss.

The point I'm trying to make is, if you guys allow multiple RPs, people will most likely stay longer.
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 22:51   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
See the moderator answers above where they've already addressed the question. Most people who have something to contribute seem to hang around here without this anyway because the existing prime purpose of the forum meets their needs.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 23:02   Link #13
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lavardian Shogunate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
See the moderator answers above where they've already addressed the question. Most people who have something to contribute seem to hang around here without this anyway because the existing prime purpose of the forum meets their needs.
You never know. A forum of this size can afford to take chances. Especially if the amount of staff present increased.
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 03:47   Link #14
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
I doubt your philosophy is shared by the moderation staff or the greater majority here.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 03:53   Link #15
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala Caeli View Post
You never know. A forum of this size can afford to take chances.
Sure we could afford to take chances. We could also afford to put silly hats on our heads and dance skyclad while singing The Twelve Days of Christmas, but what would be the point?

As xris and NightWish have already said, this just isn't the purpose of our forum. I certainly don't see any reason to try to edge out the forums that already exist in the roleplaying niche with active roleplaying communities. I've noticed that any organization which tries to be everything to everyone, rarely does anything especially well. Let AnimeSuki stick to the one thing we do best: discussion.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 11:53   Link #16
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lavardian Shogunate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
I doubt your philosophy is shared by the moderation staff or the greater majority here.
That's okay with me. ^^ Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Sure we could afford to take chances. We could also afford to put silly hats on our heads and dance skyclad while singing The Twelve Days of Christmas, but what would be the point?
Are you implying that AnimeSuki is prone to trying new things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I've noticed that any organization which tries to be everything to everyone, rarely does anything especially well. Let AnimeSuki stick to the one thing we do best: discussion.
I see your point. ^^ However, I am sure AnimeSuki could be so much more if it wasn't afraid to take big risks and appeal to a few more specific interests. There are already a wide range of anime subforums, so I don't see a threatening problem that could come out of creating one roleplay forum with a different roleplay in each thread. Don't be afraid of more work.
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 13:39   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala Caeli View Post
Don't be afraid of more work.
I don't think it has so much to do with the work load as much as with the work itself.
Recently there have been a lot of new moderators appointed... I think they pretty much have their hands full ATM.

* Cat's wonders how long before xris's philosophy: 'everyone moderates everything', crumbles.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 13:52   Link #18
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lavardian Shogunate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I don't think it has so much to do with the work load as much as with the work itself.
I'm talking specifically about the work, not the work load. Speaking of which, you guys really could make it work if you tried. I have great confidence in you ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Recently there have been a lot of new moderators appointed... I think they pretty much have their hands full ATM.
If even the new moderators have their hands full, this only calls for more moderators. They should be good at keeping the forums, clean, yes, but they should also be enjoying themselves here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
* Cat's wonders how long before xris's philosophy: 'everyone moderates everything', crumbles.
I don't know what you're talking about. ^^
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 17:01   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala Caeli View Post
I'm talking specifically about the work, not the work load. Speaking of which, you guys really could make it work if you tried. I have great confidence in you ^^
Perhaps we could, but quite frankly none of us are interested in role play. Therefore we don't want to do this. Motivation = zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
* Cat's wonders how long before xris's philosophy: 'everyone moderates everything', crumbles.
So far it works incredibly well and is actually become better as our moderator support community develops. We've got some amazing people on our forum to recruit from and so far anyone worth recruiting is worthy of helping with everything.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 23:00   Link #20
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lavardian Shogunate
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Perhaps we could, but quite frankly none of us are interested in role play. Therefore we don't want to do this. Motivation = zero.
How can we be so sure of this? I know for a fact that elsewhere I have went, people who have written stories or original fanfics are enthusiastic when they see an interesting roleplay. All motivation starts at zero, friend. Then it builds up from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
We've got some amazing people on our forum to recruit from and so far anyone worth recruiting is worthy of helping with everything.
Good, I'm glad to hear that. A strong forum needs quality moderators to ensure a fast-paced growth.
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.