AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Higurashi

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-04, 22:52   Link #261
Death Grin
~Chuckles~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pakistan
I think the major reason for it being an OVA could be the fact that Higurashi was repeatedly preempted on a number of Japanese TV channels.

I think it's better for them to just release them in OVAs without having to censor or worry about such events.
__________________
Death Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 03:50   Link #262
Eryops
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Grin View Post
I think the major reason for it being an OVA could be the fact that Higurashi was repeatedly preempted on a number of Japanese TV channels.

I think it's better for them to just release them in OVAs without having to censor or worry about such events.
That only happened once at two channels (one resumed it the next week and the other stopped showing it) and only because of the fact a schoolgirl murdered her father with an ax. Japanese stations often do this sort of thing; for example an episode of FMP? Fumoffu was never aired because it featured a child getting kidnapped and there had been a publicized case of a real child kidnapping. Higurashi's case isn't unique (though the episode in question didn't feature anything similar to that act and it was merely canceled because of the nature of the show).

The simplest explanations is that they don't want to do 12-13 episodes, which is what you'd need for a season. If they only want to produce 3-4 episodes for example, then an OVA is pretty much the only option.
Eryops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 10:39   Link #263
MarthX
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 30
I'm thinking they decided to make it an OVA so they can focus on Umineko.
MarthX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 13:45   Link #264
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Where dimensions collide...
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
That only happened once at two channels (one resumed it the next week and the other stopped showing it) and only because of the fact a schoolgirl murdered her father with an ax. Japanese stations often do this sort of thing; for example an episode of FMP? Fumoffu was never aired because it featured a child getting kidnapped and there had been a publicized case of a real child kidnapping. Higurashi's case isn't unique (though the episode in question didn't feature anything similar to that act and it was merely canceled because of the nature of the show).

The simplest explanations is that they don't want to do 12-13 episodes, which is what you'd need for a season. If they only want to produce 3-4 episodes for example, then an OVA is pretty much the only option.

True enough, but you'll remember, that after both incidents involving Higurashi, only 1-2 stations completed Kai. With all the bad publicity, maybe the company felt that releasing an OVA series wouldn't draw so much bad attention to it (i.e. if they animated Tsukiotoshi-hen).

It's not as though 07th Expansion or Studio DEEN didn't have enough fan-support for a third season, so it's hard to believe that the animators just "didn't feel like" making a 12-13 episode season. Furthermore, I doubt that the creator of Higurashi had no say at all in this. Miotsukushi-hen is the "true ending," as said by the creator, so it's highly suspect that the OVA's aren't at least connected to it.
__________________
I'm not afraid of tomorrowI'm only scared of myself
Dante of the Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 14:20   Link #265
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC, NY
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
It's not as though 07th Expansion or Studio DEEN didn't have enough fan-support for a third season, so it's hard to believe that the animators just "didn't feel like" making a 12-13 episode season.
They rather just do Umineko instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Furthermore, I doubt that the creator of Higurashi had no say at all in this. Miotsukushi-hen is the "true ending," as said by the creator, so it's highly suspect that the OVA's aren't at least connected to it.
Miotsukushi is the "true end" in the sense that it's a sadder ending compared to the "good end" Matsuribayashi. They both have the same level of canon behind them.
__________________
Sterling01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 14:51   Link #266
Eryops
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
True enough, but you'll remember, that after both incidents involving Higurashi, only 1-2 stations completed Kai. With all the bad publicity, maybe the company felt that releasing an OVA series wouldn't draw so much bad attention to it (i.e. if they animated Tsukiotoshi-hen).
That case has already been forgotten. The two channels that pulled it did so preemptively to try and show sensitivity towards that incident rather than because they received complaints. Nobody would care if a third season got broadcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Miotsukushi is the "true end" in the sense that it's a sadder ending compared to the "good end" Matsuribayashi. They both have the same level of canon behind them.
Yes. Considering that both the anime and the manga conclude with Matsuribayashi-hen, saying that Miotsukushi-hen is more a more valid ending seems strange. Out of the four currently available versions of Higurashi 3 end with Matsuribayashi-hen and only one with Miotsukushi-hen. (As far as I know the chapter the books will end with has yet to be announced.)

PS: Has Ryukishi07 actually said that Miotsukushi-hen is the 'true' ending? This has been mentioned here and also on the Higurashi Wikipedia page, however one would expect that chapter to be used more than once if that were the case.
Eryops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 14:56   Link #267
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv150
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
^ Personally, I think the "true ending" is basically some pure speculation or whatnot, just because the PS2 version has something new.
To be frank, despite its "bitter" side, Miotsukushi-hen seems rather a "excuse" or opportunity to sell Higurashi on PS2.
Some people are fine with seiyuu and/or "professional" graphics, other need more content to justify the purchase.

I certainly can't recall any real announcement of "this is the true end, guyz!". It rather looks like a hasty conclusion just because it is a consumer port.
But if it is the case, I would like to see a link of such statement or whatnot. I'm actually considering asking a "reference" or "citation needed" in the wikipedia article
__________________
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 15:08   Link #268
Rias
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
I can't remember if he said it's the TRUE ending or not (kinda recall that's what the game's website said, as a selling point), but in the matsuri guidebook that he had said it's like "another version of Matsuribayashi-hen". He also made some analogy like matsuribayashi-hen and Miotsukushi-hen are different sides of the same coin.

However, Miotsukushi-hen still remains as a controversal chapter as people have discovered that it's not Ryukishi07's work. Now having some other writers do the chapter is fine and all, but some argue that Ryukishi07 should have the final say towards these things, but that he didn't. The main point of the controversy is Hanyu's stance in Miotsukushi-hen, which was affected by the gathering scene at the end. Rena says "Can you believe it?", which was originally directed towards Hanyu. Ryukishi07 has clearly stated before that the quote is directed to Hanyu(the player). In the PS2 version, it's directed to Rika, which left Hanyu out of the loop, and thus we have Miotsukushi-hen's Hanyu.
__________________
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 21:10   Link #269
Rias
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
More info has been released on oyashirosama.com regarding rei...Studio Deen is still going to do it, but they have changed the director from Kon to Kawase
__________________
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 09:37   Link #270
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
any hardcoreanimefans know what will the differences be between the 2 directors?
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 15:30   Link #271
Eryops
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
The series' website has put up an announcement rearding the OVA. Does anyone know what it says?
Eryops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 11:58   Link #272
Aebliss
Story Master
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
I hadn't been to this subforum yet, so imagine my surprise when I saw this thread ... There's going to be a third season? o_o I thought the second season had rather neatly tied up all loose ends and put an end to the previously endless summer of murder ...
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 14:08   Link #273
MezzoDragon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Although season 2 showed the conclusion of the time loops, the "true ending" has yet to be animated.
MezzoDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 15:17   Link #274
Kusaja
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Doesn't seem like they'll go that route...if by the so-called "true ending" you mean the PS2-exclusive arc. You could say I share Klashikari's thoughts about it.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 17:59   Link #275
Garve
Providence Breaker
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 27
Heya, sorry if this question was already answered.

I've heard the 3rd season's name would be Umineko no naku koro ni, but that's not true, right? Isn't that a complete different anime? Just wanna be sure about it.
Garve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 18:22   Link #276
Rayneing
Trombe!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: England.
Age: 25
Kind of. They're making Higurashi no nkau Koro ni Rei into a bunch of OVAs, as well as adapting Umineko no Naku Koro ni into an anime. And no, it isn't completely different. Umineko is a sequel to Higurashi, and directly references it several times.
Rayneing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 01:50   Link #277
Garve
Providence Breaker
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 27
Um, the 3rd season is a bunch of OVAs? I thought there would be another 24/25/26 episodes season.
Garve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 02:57   Link #278
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garve View Post
Um, the 3rd season is a bunch of OVAs? I thought there would be another 24/25/26 episodes season.
HA! Where have you been? Hopes for that kind of season were dashed weeks ago......
Dreamiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 03:19   Link #279
Garve
Providence Breaker
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 27
^ Yeah, I wasn't here obviously :P sorry.

If they do around 20 OVAs it's fine, too :P

Thanks for help everyone.
Garve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 09:51   Link #280
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere...
Age: 27
Number of episodes still unknown. As for me, they should show us Saikoroshi-hen. As for other, hmm, it's a big question depending of the number of episodes, maybe, they will use Utsutsukowashi-hen, hope to see it.

Last edited by Littm; 2008-05-20 at 12:28.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.