AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-07-17, 21:25   Link #61
Kawaii_Angel101
Shy_Girl

hmm it's prolly gonna kick ass!

Don't Mess With Me.....
Or...No love....
Kawaii_Angel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 02:25   Link #62
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
OMG! Just saw it and it was ridiculously good. Definitely not your standard summer, comic book fare!!! I won't spoil anything, but let me say that if Heath Ledger doesn't get nominated for an academy award (at the very least), I'm gonna cry.

Currently Watching: Da Capo II Second Season, Kure-nai, Macross Frontier, Code Geass, Nijuuu Mensou no Musume
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 03:16   Link #63
AquaMethod
キラボシ★

Send a message via AIM to AquaMethod
Wow, I just got home from it and...it completely blew me away. It's so intense; it's so scary; it's so believable. The acting is superb and the story is complicated and dark. I've never really enjoyed comic book movies, but I loved this.
Old 2008-07-18, 03:55   Link #64
KickHopper
[Never Give Up]
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to KickHopper Send a message via MSN to KickHopper
....Holy hell. This movie is probably one of the best movies I've seen in my entire LIFE. Heath Ledger played one of the best villains with such passion that he even scared me. I couldn't even tell it was him and that's how believable he is.

10000000000000000/10

[R.I.P Lisa Chung : A Truly Remarkable Person.]
KickHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 04:06   Link #65
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
So, is it okay to bring my 12 year old brother to see this?
He's not keen on gore (blood/other violence is okay), but I'm worried about...

Spoiler:
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 04:09   Link #66
KickHopper
[Never Give Up]
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to KickHopper Send a message via MSN to KickHopper
It would personally think its alright since not much Gore is shown anyways, always implied. Although if he's afraid of clowns, better watch out. heath Ledger's acting was so good, I got scared.

And I wouldn't worry about him. CG ftw.

[R.I.P Lisa Chung : A Truly Remarkable Person.]
KickHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 04:58   Link #67
james0246

I just saw it...but now I am tired. So, here are some of my thoughts before I drift off to sleep.

The good: Heath Ledger tops the good. He has a beautiful swagger to his limp that is reminiscent of Marlon Brando or Paul Newman at their Tennessee Williams best, mixed with the raw energy of Malcolm McDowell from if.... or A Clockwork Orange and the neurosis of Gary Oldman in The Professional or any of his other beautifully psychotic film roles. Words like magnetic, evocative, superb, even erotic can be used to describe his performance, which is easily one of the best of the year thus far. Sadly enough, the other actors do not quite live up to Ledgers performance.

Maggie Gyllenhaal was definitely nice as she added a Barbra Stanwyckesque spin on Bruce Wayne's estranged love interest Rachel (who was nearly destroyed by Katie Holmes in the first film). Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman bring their usual level of aged grace and elegance to any role they are in, and Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent/Two-Face was quite nice almost equaling Ledger at times (I was reminded of Javier Bardem's performance in No Country For Old Men, which is ironic considering the fact that the film starred Tommy Lee Jones, who played Two-Face in the Val Kilmer Batman film). (Sadly enough, Gary Oldman as Lt. Jim Gordon seemed to be phoned in, as his character had to deliver some of the hammiest lines in the movie, and Oldman clearly struggled with the role (which was a shame considering how good he was in the original).)

But the bad here is Christian Bale. I shouldn't really say bad, it is more along the lines that he can not keep up with his fellow actors. Ledger dances circles around him, Freeman and Caine upstages him constantly (even if they only have a few brief moments together), Gyllenhaal always seems more interesting, etc. Again, he is not bad, he is simply too placid as Bruce Wayne (part of the problem here is the dialogue: Bale's evocative body movements, his eye-blinks, etc are all beautifully acted and convey his angst and sorrow quite well, but his overdramatic dialogue comes across as stilted and unreal), and too ineffectual as Batman (his constant gravelly inflection ever unwavering in its emotional quality is a little boring when faced with Ledgers beautifully constructed speech patterns). Then again, it is possible that Nolan, in constructing the story, was attempting to turn the Joker and Batman into Miltonesque personas (the Joker as the Devil/Lucifer, and Batman as Adam), and, as anyone who has read the epic poem knows, the Devil is infinitely more interesting than humanity in Paradise Lost.

The bad: the directing. Nolan has always had a hard time constructing proper action sequences, and this film is no different. What is the point of Bale spending nearly a year learning martial arts and studying choreography if the henchmen fight sequences are blurring, shot in mid-, to close-range, and are often so dark as to make the action indecipherable. Added to that is the abrupt editing that takes place constantly, as a character moves from one location to the next with there being no transition between scene to scene, this creates a jarring dissonance that draws away from the acting and story (this is especially annoying during a section of the film in which two people are kidnapped, somehow or other, and then later on dialogue is needed to explain what actually happened when Nolan would have been better served to simply show us what happened instead explaining the information in useless dialogue). (I should note that there are some great shots in the film (despite there cliché appearance, the silent figure of Batman looking down on his city is always stirring) and the production design of Gotham City is magnificently dreary and gritty (and seeing this in IMAX is a must.) As a piece of visual storytelling though (which is the directors job when making a film), Nolan does not deliver.

All in all, this is probably the best Comic Book movie ever made, easily surpassing Iron Man and Spider-Man II. But, it is only a good to very good film (easily 3 stars, and when I see it again (when I am less tired ) probably 3 1/2 stars).

Last edited by james0246; 2008-07-18 at 14:01.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 05:36   Link #68
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
So, is it okay to bring my 12 year old brother to see this?
He's not keen on gore (blood/other violence is okay), but I'm worried about...

Spoiler:
Think of those anatomical diagrams depicting muscles. You get a small patch of that, some jaw bone, and darkened skin. Nothing too bad.

I would give my thoughts, but james3wk put it much more eloquently than I could possibly manage at 4 am.
Old 2008-07-18, 06:42   Link #69
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

I've just got back from the cinema. The Dark Knight was so good that I wept.

For me, one of the most poignant moments of the film was when the Joker performed his "social experiement", which turned out to be...

Spoiler:

Coming as it did the way the finale concluded (with the tragedy that brought down Gotham's White Knight), it was Chris Nolan's darkly subtle answer to the Joker's challenge to humanity — the Joker laughs alone.

Chris Nolan's Dark Knight, I daresay, far surpasses Tim Burton's version. Tim Burton was chiefly responsible for laying the groundwork that turned Batman into campy idiocy. Chris Nolan rescued the franchise from that ignoble fate.

And yes, I'd gladly support a posthumous Oscar nomination to Heath Ledger for his truly scary portrayal of Batman's arch-nemesis, the ultimate villain to "complete" the ultimate vigilante. Jack Nicholson has met his match.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 15:43   Link #70
klowny
OH NO

just saw the movie around 1 am and i gotta say it was worth it waiting in line for an hour and a guy pushing my seat behind me i'd probably go see it again
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 15:48   Link #71
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
And yes, I'd gladly support a posthumous Oscar nomination to Heath Ledger for his truly scary portrayal of Batman's arch-nemesis, the ultimate villain to "complete" the ultimate vigilante. Jack Nicholson has met his match.
Yeah, Ledger's Joker actually scared some kids in the theater I was in so much that their parents had to carry carry them out. Now that is kind of Joker I've been waiting to see.

Joker should do a whole magic routine sometime. The pencil trick was just awesome
Old 2008-07-18, 16:10   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My son went to a midnight showing, just got back (he's 18). He says its of the best and yet most disturbing movies he's seen -- and he'd preemptively smack any parents he saw taking anyone under 16 to see it. He's not even sure he was quite ready for it and he sits blithely through movies like "300", "Hellboy 2", "Clockwork Orange", and slasher-horror flicks. It even gave him unpleasant dreams

Quote:
Chris Nolan's Dark Knight, I daresay, far surpasses Tim Burton's version. Tim Burton was chiefly responsible for laying the groundwork that turned Batman into campy idiocy. Chris Nolan rescued the franchise from that ignoble fate.
Actually.... Burton was responsible for moving Batman far away FROM campy idiocy if you'll recall the 1960's Batman tv series. He put an edge to The Batman that mainstream audiences had never realized existed. yeah, it was still a bit campy (after all --- crazy people in costumes). Mostly it was incredibly bad directing and writing that sent the series into fiery doom in the last few movies. In my mind at least, Nolan, Bale, and Ledger accomplished the rest of what Burton's original vision set the franchise towards. These characters are now what they should be... really scary psychopaths, good or evil
Old 2008-07-18, 17:14   Link #73
Daughter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I couldn't agree more.

I can't stand Tim Burton; more concerned with how weird something is going to be than telling a good story.

This is an amazing, amazing, amazing film. The best I've seen this year. Great performances from everyone, not just Ledger though I would be really happy to see an Academy Award nomination for him. He was just excellent and totally transformed my image of the Joker from twisted to completely terrifying. Just wow.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 17:42   Link #74
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruz1014 View Post
OMG! Just saw it and it was ridiculously good. Definitely not your standard summer, comic book fare!!! I won't spoil anything, but let me say that if Heath Ledger doesn't get nominated for an academy award (at the very least), I'm gonna cry.
He cant get nominated... he's dead. He's been dead for a couple months now.
Old 2008-07-18, 17:50   Link #75
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
He cant get nominated... he's dead. He's been dead for a couple months now.
There's been 6 posthumous Oscar nominations already... and one winner
Old 2008-07-18, 17:56   Link #76
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
There's been 6 posthumous Oscar nominations already... and one winner
Oh, that's good to hear. I hope Heath Ledger DOES get nominated (and win), in that case.
Old 2008-07-18, 18:54   Link #77
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually.... Burton was responsible for moving Batman far away FROM campy idiocy if you'll recall the 1960's Batman tv series. He put an edge to The Batman that mainstream audiences had never realized existed. yeah, it was still a bit campy (after all --- crazy people in costumes). Mostly it was incredibly bad directing and writing that sent the series into fiery doom in the last few movies. In my mind at least, Nolan, Bale, and Ledger accomplished the rest of what Burton's original vision set the franchise towards. These characters are now what they should be... really scary psychopaths, good or evil
Quoted because it needs to be read again! People who think Burton's version was campy obviously never saw the 60's tv series and (tele?)movie.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 21:17   Link #78
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I don't think there ever could be a better superhero movie after this one. Part of the reason is that Heath Ledger's job in acting the joker was superb beyond all words. The only way they'd even come close is if they took Daniel Day Lewis to act the next villain or something because... there has never been a better acted villain in my movie experience.

This movie was actually frightening, Batman actually seemed weak, not a movie for children under 12 that can't hold their stomach.

The movie was literally perfect. I give it 4 and 4/5 stars.

As far as super hero movies go...

1. This batman movie
2. the last batman movie
3. Iron Man

And there is a pretty big gap between the first two...
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 21:28   Link #79
kujoe
from head to heel

This is the kind of Joker I wanted to see, and seeing Heath Ledger's performance here just made his death all the more tragic.

You can tell that the story has a measure of intelligent and insight of its own. It's not just an action, comic book movie. It peers into the kind of characters Batman and Joker represent—the idea of symbols and heroes—which Joker sums up with the interesting line:

Spoiler:

This movie is hot stuff. Worth every dollar I paid for it.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-19, 00:06   Link #80
Papaya
Sup

Holy shit.
Brother thought it was great too.

At least one person that walked by me at the end was sobbing. Everyone clapped at the credits.

Tags
kemonomimi