AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2008-07-14, 01:31   Link #21
aniyon
Banned

Dream of Mirror Review

Official site:http://domo.aeriagames.com

OVERVIEWS:

Dream of Mirror is a free-to-play MMORPG (massive multi-player online role playing game) developed by Softstar, leading brand of Chinese video games industry. Dream of Mirror scored more than 400,000 registered users in Taiwan alone! The player can choose between 4 races (Human, Sylph, Sprite, Felin), 10 classes (Citizen, Swordsman, Doctor, Shaman, Thief, Mystic, Hunter, Mercenary, Musician, Wizard ) and 6 skills (meditation, fishing, mining, herding, farming, forestry) to gain experience completing amazing quests and missions; weapons level up too, and pets are active allies during combats. In DOMO, players can fly all over the place riding their weapons. The game emphasizes teamwork and features a complex human relationship system that strengthens the gaming experience. To be successful, it is essential to establish a group of close friends.
Guilds will have to elect a leader who will guide them in combat against other guilds: winners will gain control of cities! The interface is extremely user friendly and is built to assist player’s interaction and involvement into the game. A Tutorial zone smoothly introduce the players into the Mirror World, with lush, anime style graphic.

GAMEPLAY:

- Character Creation:
There are quite some options for creating a new character. You can switch between a few hairstyles and faces but you can also set your body size, from leg length to your arm and head size. Preety nice actually, it is like Perfect World costumization just without so many options.
- Classes/Races:
You can pick one of the 4 races which are quite different when looking at them. One of the race looks like midgets, one is a more "beastly" type, with a tail sticked to your behind. The other two look more or less human, however one of them is actually levitating.
About the classes - there are many classes you can pick, all with unique skills. Further more you can have second classes which adds even more to character variety, meaning that there are many combinations you can pick and you can be still very unique.
- Movement:
Simple, its either click to move or WASD. A point for that!
- Leveling:
I haven't reached deep enough to tell how it is with the actual leveling, for now all I can say is that it is preety fast for an eastern mmorpg, one also has a lot of quests to do.
- Quests:
There are a lot of quests which are divided into main quest and subquests. Main quest is really great, it is challenging, it is not only "go kill that" or "bring me 5 of these". The main quest also makes you feel like you're acting in a movie, it has "movie scenes" each time you complete a part of it, which I believe is really great. Subquest made more of killing and looting certain items. The reward is mostly experience. Though overall the quest part of DOMO is preety great.
- Skills:
There are a lot of skills in this game, what gives you even more skills is the second class -> making 1 character full of skills from different classes. All the skills also have their own effects. However there aren't only combat skills involved in the game, there are also crafting/gathering skills in the game, from lumbering to meditation(yes, that's a gathering skill too). If you sum all these up, you get a nice pile of skills. Two points.
- Items:
I must admint that I'm not really impressed with the item selection. It's like in the most free mmorpgs, you have one set of armor/weapons for your level. Perhaps I'm wrong since I am still low on the level, but I don't think the situation changes a lot in the later levels.

GRAPHICS:

- Character Looks:
The characters don't look really detailed but they don't look too bad. You also have options to get rid of that ugly outline and shaders and make your character simple and plain 3D. The characters are anime/cartoon-styled, now if you fancy that you won't have a problem, however I am not a big fan of such graphics.
- Monster Looks:
As simply detailed as your character. You will see the most evil monsters and raging beasts in forms of piglets, puppies and flowers. A bit childish, I must say.

SS:

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0wtquSMvk4
aniyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 19:17   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its entertaining, doesn't require a lot of computing power, and is a good change of pace.

The main problem I have with the mechanics is the total randomness of the "love lines" for friends and lovers. Believe me, there's the usual total freaking idiots and I don't care how loud the heartbeats are or how bright the lines are.

If they'd structure it so that I could nix a line or even better - only people on your friend's list could light up for closer relationships.

You can ignore this function completely .. .but grouping with friends or lovers gives you access to battle combo bonuses you don't normally have.

Anyway..... cute, fun, free -- after playing Conan for a month with all the "counterstrike mush-for-brains kiddies", its almost refreshing.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 20:26   Link #23
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

The only real gripe I have with DOMO is that its a real grindfest... So it gets dull after a while. But the refreshing art style and vivid colors and stuff make it very fun to just sit around and socialize in...
Old 2008-07-17, 05:47   Link #24
sora12

hmm i already thru playing that online game. Well i have a lvl 50+ thief there and after a few weeks i stop playing coz im bored.
sora12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-17, 11:03   Link #25
Ending

Tried it out, didn't like too much.

PROS:
+ I like cel-shading, I really do.
+ Easy to play and jump in.
+ Looked like an active community.

CONS:
- Not for anyone over 14. You can play, of course, but remember to stay in the closet.
- Grinding japanese style. First 20 of these, then 20 of those, then 20 more. Repeat for every level.
- Clumsy GUI. After Half-Life 2, I'd expect much more fluid controls.
- Missing features pretty much every WoW player takes for granted, such as auction house, character customization, and a certain unique feel with your character.

Overall, if you are 7-14 years old and would like to play something online, this might be worth a try.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-18, 15:52   Link #26
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I'd like to point out that as far as free MMOs go, in my experience, DOMO's is rather more... "large". So I'm not sure if that's worth pointing out too much - the only thing "restricting" about is just because there's only 1 set of armor per level (But almost all free MMOs do that)