AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-12-24, 04:51   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Question about the board code

This is more of a tech question so I'm hoping someone can help. I came across a site that hosts images for a signature rotator. The problem is, the signature rotator works fine when simply clicking their link, but when I'm using it on this forum I have to force it to show a new image by refreshing the browser cache. Normal refreshing doesn't work, I have to ctrl f5 to make it change.

I'm curious if this is an issue with my settings but I don't know where to start honestly. I normally just upload my images to the forums so I don't have to mess with code much, but that's not possible using off site hosting. It's also prevented me from using the [sigpic] code to enable text when mousing over the image (it used to say Click to see my sig thread!).

So, anyone familiar with forum code and browsers who can help troubleshoot the problem? It's not a big loss about the sigpic thing but I would certainly like to get the rotator working properly at least, even if it's only an issue on my end of the viewing.
Old 2007-12-24, 07:39   Link #2
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
This is more of a tech question so I'm hoping someone can help. I came across a site that hosts images for a signature rotator. The problem is, the signature rotator works fine when simply clicking their link, but when I'm using it on this forum I have to force it to show a new image by refreshing the browser cache. Normal refreshing doesn't work, I have to ctrl f5 to make it change.

I'm curious if this is an issue with my settings but I don't know where to start honestly. I normally just upload my images to the forums so I don't have to mess with code much, but that's not possible using off site hosting. It's also prevented me from using the [sigpic] code to enable text when mousing over the image (it used to say Click to see my sig thread!).

So, anyone familiar with forum code and browsers who can help troubleshoot the problem? It's not a big loss about the sigpic thing but I would certainly like to get the rotator working properly at least, even if it's only an issue on my end of the viewing.
Yours isn't changing for me either unless i press F5.

I don't really have a solution. But i do have a workaround. I can offer to host it with the script i'm using for the sig rotator. I got free 100gb bandwidth a month anyway. And it's not nearly close that that yet.

Or if you feel more comfortable doing it yourself. This is the script i'm using.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 22:50   Link #3
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

That's a very generous offer Sephi. I may have to take you up on that, perhaps later this week. I'm still scratching my head as to why it's acting the same for all who view it, but I did notice that the signature does rotate if I leave the site for a bit and come back. Which is weird. Ah well.
Old 2007-12-25, 02:42   Link #4
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

The site Sephi uses is good to make a rotating sig with.

http://www.free-site-host.com

It is supposedly free also.

Setting it up is not hard, Solace can do it if I was able to. It allows you to make a rotating sig because it allows hotlinking images and php. Once you sign up, you get taken to a control panel that has a nice file manager, and you can use it to make a folder called sig.png

In that folder you put the script Sephi posted, I have a link here of it already done so you don't have to paste it into a text file yourself and rename it. Download this to have it ready.

http://download.yousendit.com/545347A4603A800C

After that just upload whatever siggys you want into that sig.png folder as well and they will all rotate.

To have it show up on AniSuki~

Assuming you named your website solace :

On the forum you would put in your signature [IM G]http://solace.free-site-host.com/sig.png[/IMG] without the space in the front IMG tag^^

If you need more help with this just post.

I signed up for that site a while ago but didn't seem to find a good script, they all made you edit it every time you added a new image, but the new one Sephi posted doesn't need anything done to it at all, ever. Any image you put into a folder is rotated.
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 07:26   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Neaco, you are so getting a hug and a cookie! Thanks!

Last edited by Solace; 2007-12-25 at 07:27. Reason: Ok, nix the cookie. I *really* need to start spreading some rep around....sigh.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 12:26   Link #6
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

I knew you could do it Glad it worked.
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 15:33   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The problem is, the signature rotator works fine when simply clicking their link, but when I'm using it on this forum I have to force it to show a new image by refreshing the browser cache. Normal refreshing doesn't work, I have to ctrl f5 to make it change.
Part of the reason may have to deal with browser settings. You didn't mention which browser you're using. I only really know the solution for Opera anyway - if you use something else, you'd be on your own.

The issue is how often the browser will check for a change in the document vs. what's cached. I don't know exactly why you're noticing a change with the new script and not with the old one - I would theorize that the old script that required a manual refresh was keeping the same filename and shifting images around server-side, whereas the other script perhaps uses different filenames?

Either way, here's how you'd fix it in Opera. Preferences > Advanced > History, at the bottom there are two things you can work with. One says "Check images:" and the dropdown box has a list of times, including "check always." The other is "Check documents:" and it also has a list of times. If I remember right, a fresh install of Opera would have both set to 20 minutes. I have documents set to "Check always" and images set to every 5 minutes. I encountered the issue a very long time ago when I maintained a blog, and Opera wasn't showing edits that I'd make unless a certain period of time had passed or if I did a hard refresh. Adjusting the options fixed it.
Old 2007-12-25, 19:33   Link #8
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I use Firefox, but I think your theory is close to the mark. I noticed that the image did rotate if I left the forums for a while and came back, to me that suggests the script is just designed differently than the one Sephi and Neaco suggested. So I doubt it was ever a problem with the browser cache, and more likely the script the site I was using employed.

Ah well, it all works now and I discovered a nice free hosting site in the process. YAY!