AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-09-06, 19:54   Link #1061
Zippicus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, MI
Meh this show is reasonably entertaining. Not great, not horrible. The one thing I don't really like is when they reuse a gag multiple times in an episode (which happens all too often).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmkharuhiism View Post
Ouch! And I really liked Kanokon, too. Probably more than To Love-Ru so far.
Me too!
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 20:42   Link #1062
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Though I do agree that trimming it down to 12, (or, mostly) sharpening the quality of the anime original material would've given it a much better impression.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: with all the manga material available, why do they even need anime original material????

__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 20:42   Link #1063
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
why do they even need anime original material????
Because they'd rather do their own thing.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 11:18   Link #1064
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I'm not one to pile on the train when everyone turns on a series mid-way, usually, and I actually think Rito is a better than average male harem lead. But this thing really has lost it's way big-time. It's almost like a different show now. Where in the world is Haruna? Has Rito's imouto (one of the funnier characters in the series) even appeared in the last 7 or 8 eps? While this was obviously never Citizen Kane, it's still a shame that a generally upbeat and entertaining series - I'd have called it a poor man's SNH - degenerates into something unrecognizable and loses interest in it's own major plot threads.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 12:10   Link #1065
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Ep. 23 - oy...

.01 points for a brief Mikan appearance. Other than that - oy... Was any of this recent crap in the manga?

It seems obvious in hindsight that 14 was the peak for this series. The one thing that elevated it above pure fluff was the innocently lustul romantic feelings between Rito and Haruna, portrayed so well in the early eps. 14 was one of the more genuinely kawaii teen romance eps I've seen in any series for a while - it was hard not to have high hopes at that point. Where has that series gone??
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 15:08   Link #1066
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ep. 23 - oy...

.01 points for a brief Mikan appearance. Other than that - oy... Was any of this recent crap in the manga?

It seems obvious in hindsight that 14 was the peak for this series. The one thing that elevated it above pure fluff was the innocently lustul romantic feelings between Rito and Haruna, portrayed so well in the early eps. 14 was one of the more genuinely kawaii teen romance eps I've seen in any series for a while - it was hard not to have high hopes at that point. Where has that series gone??
it has gone a bit off track with those damn fillers, especially e20, and even more with 23. i honestly thought they'd stick closer to the manga.
__________________
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 18:04   Link #1067
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm not one to pile on the train when everyone turns on a series mid-way, usually, and I actually think Rito is a better than average male harem lead. But this thing really has lost it's way big-time. It's almost like a different show now. Where in the world is Haruna? Has Rito's imouto (one of the funnier characters in the series) even appeared in the last 7 or 8 eps? While this was obviously never Citizen Kane, it's still a shame that a generally upbeat and entertaining series - I'd have called it a poor man's SNH - degenerates into something unrecognizable and loses interest in it's own major plot threads.
The only thing Rito was ever good at was being rather failish. I for one welcome cooldude as our conquerer of ToLoveRu.
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 03:54   Link #1068
uis
...
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hekiyou Gakuen Student Council
Age: 25
They should fired the director!!!
I think episode 22 quite good with Yui development but in 23 they strip Yui...
I angry like HELL!!... Why they doing that!!!!!
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 09:01   Link #1069
zibi88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Yes lately episodes were very bad ;/ the one who makes those ideas should say bye to the company.

If the anime would contain few manga chapters in full then people would be happy but they are made randomly ;/ but the last 3titles of anime make a big turn toward development

next 24episode will be taking idea from chapter 30 of manga with Lala beign shy (in manga it was becouse of fever) but how they will make it in anime I wonder ;/ mostly the first half will be about Lala beign shy but the rest from preview show that maybe it makes lala's emotional mood change (from Shy to brutal or something)


about the titles of last 2episodes
Spoiler for titles :P:



and btw. Hi everyone ^^
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 15:09   Link #1070
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
I dropped this series less than halfway through ... but from browsing the synopses and reports, looks as though I did myself a favor. I'm watching ep 22 through the end almost for academic purposes.

Given the existing manga material (more than enough) and given the number of plot derails or "might as well be omake" -- it *looks* as if the production team suffered from an overblown sense of ego or they just simply didn't care about the characters.
It appears from my view to be another serious case of "whatever we do, they'll buy it anyway." hubris.

We'll see if they actually close the series out with an ending...
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 15:18   Link #1071
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I dropped this series less than halfway through ... but from browsing the synopses and reports, looks as though I did myself a favor. I'm watching ep 22 through the end almost for academic purposes.

Given the existing manga material (more than enough) and given the number of plot derails or "might as well be omake" -- it *looks* as if the production team suffered from an overblown sense of ego or they just simply didn't care about the characters.
It appears from my view to be another serious case of "whatever we do, they'll buy it anyway." hubris.

We'll see if they actually close the series out with an ending...

If that's their case, that ticks me off. No matter how good or lovable a character is without a good story plot people will complain.

But anyways it's a good fanservice series. Better get back to the manga.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 15:55   Link #1072
gabbytay
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Because they'd rather do their own thing.
They suck it. They should really stick to the original material otherwise this series is destined below abysmal.
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 17:27   Link #1073
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
Yes lately episodes were very bad ;/ the one who makes those ideas should say bye to the company.

If the anime would contain few manga chapters in full then people would be happy but they are made randomly ;/ but the last 3titles of anime make a big turn toward development

next 24episode will be taking idea from chapter 30 of manga with Lala beign shy (in manga it was becouse of fever) but how they will make it in anime I wonder ;/ mostly the first half will be about Lala beign shy but the rest from preview show that maybe it makes lala's emotional mood change (from Shy to brutal or something)


about the titles of last 2episodes
Spoiler for titles :P:



and btw. Hi everyone ^^
maybe it will turn out like ch 48+49 only more drawn out for dramatic effect.
__________________
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 18:00   Link #1074
klowny
OH NO
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York
Age: 22
that episode was so awful i think i got cancer again

but not the worst Filler in an anime i ever seen
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 18:46   Link #1075
Kristen
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Virginia Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I dropped this series less than halfway through ... but from browsing the synopses and reports, looks as though I did myself a favor. I'm watching ep 22 through the end almost for academic purposes.

Given the existing manga material (more than enough) and given the number of plot derails or "might as well be omake" -- it *looks* as if the production team suffered from an overblown sense of ego or they just simply didn't care about the characters.
It appears from my view to be another serious case of "whatever we do, they'll buy it anyway." hubris.

We'll see if they actually close the series out with an ending...
Probably not. I think Xebec, after seeing their DVD sales, is going to try anything in their power to leave the series open for a second season. I mean, it's not like they couldn't. Stupid ecchi filler is available anywhere. And if they wanted to go closer to Haruna or Lala, they should have already. It's far too late now to try thatpath without rushing it.
__________________
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 19:54   Link #1076
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Probably not. I think Xebec, after seeing their DVD sales, is going to try anything in their power to leave the series open for a second season. I mean, it's not like they couldn't. Stupid ecchi filler is available anywhere. And if they wanted to go closer to Haruna or Lala, they should have already. It's far too late now to try thatpath without rushing it.
I agree with you (though Xebec has little to do with it - they just animate the show). As I alluded to earlier, I think the producers (Geneon, Avex, etc.) are trying to set this up to be a long-running serial with more seasons down the road. Like I said before, this is a "plot-of-the-week" anime that sets up the characters and their general back-stories, and then throws them in one random situation after the other. That's like the romantic-comedies of old (some of them used to run for years without resolving the main setup). Newer shows tend to be shorter, more focused, more plot-driven, mostly because they're so short. This show is trying to be more like something you just watch from week to week to see whatever the latest antics are, and could easily have 52 or 104 episodes with the way it's being written. That's what I think they're going for anyway, even if that isn't what manga-fans here wanted to see.

And maybe it's just me, but I don't find the new round of "filler" so terribly awful the way most seem to. I even find it funny as a parody (episode 20 in particular was great parody, I thought). Maybe it's because I personally don't have any compelling reason to care if they stick to the manga story, or any expectations that they will. I just like the characters, so I keep watching. Who knows...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It appears from my view to be another serious case of "whatever we do, they'll buy it anyway." hubris.
Or maybe a portion of the market actually likes it the way it is. If they figured that staying faithful to the manga was the best way to achieve high sales, why wouldn't they do that? Isn't that the easier thing to do? Is there any evidence that supports that correlation, other than the fact it'd make the average opinionator on this forum more happy? Of course, I do get that, faithful or not, people don't like the anime-original material at all, but I have no idea why anyone involved in the production would set-out to make a show they figure the fans wouldn't care for or only buy out of some bizarre sense of "series loyalty". Better to make a show that people will like in its own right.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 20:02   Link #1077
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Or maybe a portion of the market actually likes it the way it is. If they figured that staying faithful to the manga was the best way to achieve high sales, why wouldn't they do that? Isn't that the easier thing to do? Is there any evidence that supports that correlation, other than the fact it'd make the average opinionator on this forum more happy? Of course, I do get that, faithful or not, people don't like the anime-original material at all, but I have no idea why anyone involved in the production would set-out to make a show they figure the fans wouldn't care for or only buy out of some bizarre sense of "series loyalty". Better to make a show that people will like in its own right.
But the million dollar question is, do people actually like the anime? I guess the answer will come if we ever see a sequel or if they ever release sales figures.

Not that I've ever considered financial success a worthwhile criteria by which to judge a show...

(Edit: To clarify, it (ie, financial success) justifies a studio's intention, but it doesn't impact one way or another an anime's "merit")
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 20:23   Link #1078
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
But the million dollar question is, do people actually like the anime? I guess the answer will come if we ever see a sequel or if they ever release sales figures.

Not that I've ever considered financial success a worthwhile criteria by which to judge a show...

(Edit: To clarify, it (ie, financial success) justifies a studio's intention, but it doesn't impact one way or another an anime's "merit")
Well, the basis upon which these statements were being made was the sales figures for the first two DVDs averaging at around 9,000 copies/volume, which is widely considered to be "sequel-worthy". One of the better-selling shows of the season, so far.

Of course, I don't think that our personal judgements should be affected by sales figures. I like a ton of shows that were exceptionally poor-sellers, even ones that were largely seen as "critical successes" around here. That's no different from any mass media, really -- there are a lot of factors that affect sales. But when people make blanket statements bashing the production staff or posing questions like "How could anyone like this stuff?", I don't think that's fair. Why can't we assume that the people buying the DVDs legitimately like the show? Is the fact that other reasonable people might see things differently so threatening to our point of view that we have to pre-emptively paint them as less worthy of consideration? ("Ah, they're just sheep who'd buy anything; they're not discriminating, discerning patrons like we are..." Yeah, I'm so sure...) That's what gets me, anyway. Hate the show with a passion, but respect other people's right to enjoy it is what I say... Certainly, that goes both ways, though.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 20:50   Link #1079
Kristen
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Virginia Tech
What exactly are the DVD sale formats/schedules like? Are they releasing 2 at a time, 3 at a time with only 2 on the first DVD, 4 at a time, or what?
__________________
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 21:00   Link #1080
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
What exactly are the DVD sale formats/schedules like? Are they releasing 2 at a time, 3 at a time with only 2 on the first DVD, 4 at a time, or what?
It's being released on 9 DVDs. 2 episodes on the first DVD at 6090 Yen MSRP, and 3 episodes on all the subsequent DVDs at 7140 Yen MSRP. First disc was released in late-July, and it'll release monthly to end in March.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, romance, school life, shounen, xebec

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.