AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-08-07, 16:01   Link #621
KrebMarkt
Never do well

@einhorn303
Yes, Eila is VERY possessive toward Sanya.

Ep 6, 06 min, 16 sec
Did anyone else is trying to figure out which cup belong to which witch ?
There are 8 cups on the table and in this scene Mina, Lynette & Perrine are holding their owns.
I guess the one with the white cat on a black background is Sanya's one.
KrebMarkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 16:15   Link #622
kaosmos

ep6

perrine need a hug

Spoiler for end of ep6:
Old 2008-08-07, 16:21   Link #623
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmos View Post
ep6

perrine need a hug

Spoiler for end of ep6:
Me too Such a very nice episode.
Old 2008-08-07, 17:04   Link #624
Lesca

Nice episode.
I presume it was Sanya and Eila singing this episodes ending? was nice.

Spoiler for :
Old 2008-08-07, 17:18   Link #625
Graus
grumpy guy in #mirrormoon

I like how Japan actually put some effort into Eila's character with making her throw in some stereotypical finnish traits.
Graus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 17:24   Link #626
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Must say, this episode was way better than the previous ones. Not saying the other were bad, just this one was excellent.
Old 2008-08-07, 17:31   Link #627
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesca View Post
Nice episode.
I presume it was Sanya and Eila singing this episodes ending? was nice.

Spoiler for :
Spoiler:

And yes, it was Eila and Sanya singing the ED.
Old 2008-08-07, 17:36   Link #628
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graus View Post
I like how Japan actually put some effort into Eila's character with making her throw in some stereotypical finnish traits.
just wondering, what are they? XD
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 17:51   Link #629
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
just wondering, what are they? XD
Hmmm, let me extrapolate from my experiences with the internet:
1. Hippies.
2. Listen to bad psytrance.
3. Are, or possibly could be, gnomes.

Ermm...nah.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 18:00   Link #630
anselfir
Style Über Alles

fuck yes finland

you can't censor their love!

Last edited by anselfir; 2008-08-07 at 18:46.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 18:11   Link #631
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep6:
Old 2008-08-07, 20:37   Link #632
Random Wanderer

Wow. You know, if the rest of the series were like this episode I would not be able to consider it amusing but pointless fluff any more. Really, this episode was quite good.

Spoiler for episode 6:
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 21:03   Link #633
Gespenst
Real Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
No. Yuri and yaoi are not mainstream in R1. That's why I think that this series won't have it in there or at such an extremely low level that you would have to interpret it at that. Though being named after famous aces would prob get some of the surviving families upset if they heard that their names got tarnished. The OVA even documents that males exist in that world.
Tarnished…? Their counterparts are magical-animal-eared-loli-aeroplanes. It’s not even close to being defamation… I mean there’s no way that anyone could confuse Charlotte with Chuck Yeager is there?

Quote:
I'm hoping that it's all about the dogfights. We haven't had a good anime with dogfights since Last Exile.
And not even then!

Quote:
Not homophobic here. The only series that had lesbian context that FUNi licensed was Burnt Angel. Bandai Ent's version is My-Hime/Otome. In R1, yuri and yaoi goes to Media Blasters, receives a sub only release for the most part and never sees the light of day on TV.
The only series…? You don’t watch much anime then? And only a tiny fraction of anime makes it onto T.V.

Quote:
So if you're Gonzo and you know what happens in R1, would you do something that's going to decrease your income?
Gonzo, and most Japanese production companies, don’t give a fig what happens in R1. And considering that they are already selling it to us at zero cost to themselves I don’t think that they are going to be suffering overmuch.

Quote:
Also, if any of those heroes weren't homosexual in reality, then their families may have a problem if it gets back to them.
Like I said, none of them are loli-catgirls either.

Quote:
And since these are historic figures, GONZO will have a problem if the families get upset. It also can be seen as a loss of income for the estate of that historic figure if the rep of the historic figure is tarnished to an extent that no other company would touch the historic figure.
…Tarnished?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?.
The egg. Dinosaurs laid eggs millions of years before chickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
actually your english is perfectly fine..

and about crunchy/youtube

it would seem that at least at crunchy the episodes will be available for streaming for 10 hours.
and after that its only ep for buying..
Hey it’s even better than on TV isn’t it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Damn, I want a guy to be encased mostly in a mecha armour or wearing a tank stylishly.
Like this…?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakome View Post
I'm surprised Perrine is based on a French pilot. I thought from her clothes and her kind of Ojou personality it would have been British. I also think its funny that the American one has the biggest boobs .
Well the French invented the bourgeoisie…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
It's more like extreme fangirlism. Ever hear the term "Man-crush"? Same kind of deal.
More like one of these things I think:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ngyJealousGirl
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...HeroWorshipper
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...GirlFriendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Yes it is wierd, but I conisider myself an early pioneer of mecha shounen, unlike musume, they are more gruff and rugged in appearance relatively. With a more "I am gonna destroy you in style" way.
…but that’s just mecha right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
There's a novel site?
Well, that would've made those plane details easier to find, rather than reading half a chapter or so...

Oh wow, what a quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Poor girls. ”いらん子中隊” is just harsh.

After checking the novel titles and blurb text, I think Sakomizu's website profile quote will probably only come into play in volume 2.
Spoiler for vol. 3:
Care to let the rest of us in on the joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Spoiler for ep 4:
Ah but the French dislike baths
Spoiler for French:

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmi View Post
If the novels were licensed for Region 1 (North America) there might be a possibility that a company will license the TV series (if it gains enough popularity). Too add on to that they might do a "censor-overhaul" before they will release it and GOD FORBID if the company thinks of dubbing Strike Witches! At the moment I don't see any major companies licensing Strike Witches in the future to come.
Apparently the DVD versions will be uncensored (no lens flare, less strategic steam) and the characters will gain nipples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Liking large breasts doesn't make you gay.
Even if you are a girl…?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Oh great. >_>

I can see it now. What was a good thing turns into some sappy yuri comedy..
That’s just what I said. But I said it without the sarcasm.

Quote:
Rather than developing towards "yuri comedy" at the end, I'd see it more being "yuri melodrama"..."Yoshika: I WISH I KNEW HOW TO QUIT YOU!! (tears)"
…Brokeback Mecha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad wolf View Post
I read something about this being yuri is eet true?
No, the main (female) character likes big breasts and has erotic dreams about her squad members. And one of the characters has a slightly obsessive crush on her superior… and when I said no I was lying.

Actually there is a difference between a yuri show and a show with lesbian characters…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I don't suppose anyone is noticing there's a plot or some character exposition???
Yes, but everyone is paying attention to the cute girls and WW2 planes and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Man I'd like to be like Yoshika, join a battallion as an enlisted and then instantly receive the rank of sergeant. Jeez Louise, I guess ranks don't count for much in this universe. Normally most fresh recruits out of basic training are lucky and have to have people in way high up places pull lots of strings just to start as a PFC. Yeesh.
As was mentioned earlier all allied pilots were given the rank of sergeant because of the extra training they had to do, the amount of danger they were in including the fact that they were very likely to be captured and would be treated better if they had a higher rank.

Quote:
There was a lot going on to.
Spoiler for ep 6:
I was thinking more along the lines of
Spoiler:

I think that this pretty much explains the character relationships up till this point.

And yes I did just reply to a whole topic.
Gespenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 21:12   Link #634
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespenst View Post
I think that this pretty much explains the character relationships up till this point.
+1 rep for you. That is hilarious!
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 21:35   Link #635
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:

And yes I did just reply to a whole topic.
i liked the simpler version XD

Quote:
Hey it’s even better than on TV isn’t it?
exactly what i said :P
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 21:51   Link #636
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Also, even though it's a small through away line, :
"If the Neuroi had never showed up, they'd probably be fighting amongst themselves now."
"Just like the World War."
lol, finally a reference to actual political history. I assume when they say "the World War" they mean WWI (although I believe people referred to it as "The Great War", before the 2nd broke out and the "WWI/WWII" terminology was used)[/spoiler]
The translator likely never read the novel, where it's mentioned on the first couple of pages that there was a First Neuroi War in 1917 (ie WWI). There's no definite/indefinite article in Japanese, so it would have been better translated as "Just like a world war."

Just wish my second and third books would get shipped already...
Old 2008-08-07, 22:19   Link #637
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespenst View Post
Care to let the rest of us in on the joke?
Okay, I'll give it a try. If you haven't already, it'd help to read selkirk's excellent novel translation. Chapter 1 introduces both Anabuki Tomoko and Sakomizu Haruka, who are the characters in question here.

The quote I was talking about comes from Haruka's profile on the novel website. It actually comes from chapter 4 of volume 1, when...
Spoiler for light novel vol. 1, ch. 4:
I haven't read volume 2 yet, so I don't know exactly what happens, but in the volume 3 preview text...
Spoiler for light novel vol. 3 preview:
Quote:
The translator likely never read the novel, where it's mentioned on the first couple of pages that there was a First Neuroi War in 1917 (ie WWI). There's no definite/indefinite article in Japanese, so it would have been better translated as "Just like a world war."
I think that's why I prefer the novel and manga - there's much more of a sense that the characters are part of a larger world.

Just watching the anime, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the 501st was the only Striker-equipped witch unit in existence...

Quote:
Just wish my second and third books would get shipped already...
Where'd you order from, by the way? Amazon.co.jp seems a bit ambivalent over stock availability, and there's no Kinokuniya where I live...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 23:18   Link #638
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Where'd you order from, by the way? Amazon.co.jp seems a bit ambivalent over stock availability, and there's no Kinokuniya where I live...
They supposedly have it over at yesasia.com, and it says that it "usually ships within 21 days", but I ordered about 10 days ago and the status still says "searching from suppliers".
  1. Strike Witches #1
  2. Strike Witches #2
  3. Strike Witches #3
With free shipping, Yesasia's a bit cheaper than Amazon.co.jp+shipping, but I think that's one of their main suppliers, hence why it's taking so long for them to find stocks. IIRC only the 3rd book is out of stock, which is probably what is holding my order back. <_<
Old 2008-08-07, 23:24   Link #639
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
This may not necessarily be true, as a lot of times anime/manga/novel might not share the same universe, in fact in most cases alterations are made - for the anime they said the first Neuroi appeared in 1939 in episode one, which means that WW1 may have happened in the anime universe, in which case the translation as THE WW would definitely be correct.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 23:42   Link #640
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
They supposedly have it over at yesasia.com, and it says that it "usually ships within 21 days", but I ordered about 10 days ago and the status still says "searching from suppliers".
  1. Strike Witches #1
  2. Strike Witches #2
  3. Strike Witches #3
With free shipping, Yesasia's a bit cheaper than Amazon.co.jp+shipping, but I think that's one of their main suppliers, hence why it's taking so long for them to find stocks. IIRC only the 3rd book is out of stock, which is probably what is holding my order back. <_<
I got mine at the US West Coast Kinokuniya online shop they were pretty cheep
  1. Strike Witches #1
  2. Strike Witches #2
  3. Strike Witches #3

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, magic, mecha, mecha musume