AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-02-28, 06:37   Link #1621
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

Here's a (stupid, pointless, and utterly fanboyish) hope that Gonzo -DOES- drop the series, and in the future it will be animated by KyoAni...
Old 2009-02-28, 08:09   Link #1622
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
What about never got animated at all, forever disappeared into limbo.
Old 2009-02-28, 08:45   Link #1623
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Here's a (stupid, pointless, and utterly fanboyish) hope that Gonzo -DOES- drop the series, and in the future it will be animated by KyoAni...
KyoAni's style really doesn't match Strike Witches, imho. None of their work could really be labeled as "action", except maybe Munto, and from what I hear that's a disaster. Otherwise, what, Lucky Star? Please no. Key adaptations? No. Strike Witches those are not.
Gonzo did just fine with Strike Witches. I could hope for a bit more continuity with the rest of the media series, and less simplification of the SW-verse as a whole in the anime which caused who knows how many people to have misconceptions about the world, but overall, it was an enjoyable show that worked just fine with Gonzo.

Anyway, I finished translating the first doujinshi novelette.
Read it here
The remaining parts aren't connected to the actual story there. The original plot protoypes are proposed plots for the original novel and/or anime to follow, and the comments are just general comments from the makers.

Going back to the novel translation soon.
Old 2009-02-28, 09:42   Link #1624
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
You didn't watch the first season so why come into this thread just to post against the franchise? There's seriously no need at all. We get that you'll never watch it, now please move on.
Old 2009-02-28, 09:45   Link #1625
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Send a message via MSN to Fynal_Fyre
To be fair they have done FMP:TSR, but the art style would be too drastic a change IMO.

Also, there's no saying some members of the 501st can't make a re-appearance, although roles will have to be changed quite a bit.

Also, selkirk, is there a 400th squadron in the novel? Just out of question.

It's not sad anymore| Insanity and rants

Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-28, 10:04   Link #1626
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
To be fair they have done FMP:TSR, but the art style still would be too drastic a change IMO.

Also, there's no saying some members of the 501st can't make a re-appearance, although roles will have to be changed quite a bit.

Also, selkirk, is there a 400th squadron in the novel? Just out of question.
400th? No. There's a 504th though, and several characters are in it, namely Takei Junko, Nakajima Hayate, and Suwa Goshiki from the manga (and soon the games, at least for Takei). There's a good chance they'll show up in the anime somehow... though I'm still betting on their elder sisters Nakajima Nishiki and Suwa Amaki considering the latter's cameo in the last episode.

The novels all pre-date the formation of the Joint Fighter Wings, so they won't have any info on those. The JFWs were made after the success of the Suomus Independent Volunteer Air Squadron in the novels in 1939-1940, and the Afrikakorps of the Allied Human Forces in the doujinshi in 1941. Afterwards, several more were made, namely
501st - Britannia
502nd, 503rd - Eastern front
504th - Romagna
505th - the Urals
507th - Suomus

...Anyway, I don't remember where a lot of this info is stated, unfortunately. Gotta read all the extended info more systematically some day.
Old 2009-02-28, 10:12   Link #1627
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
400th? No. There's a 504th though, and several characters are in it, namely Takei Junko, Nakajima Hayate, and Suwa Goshiki from the manga (and soon the games, at least for Takei). There's a good chance they'll show up in the anime somehow... though I'm still betting on their elder sisters Nakajima Nishiki and Suwa Amaki considering the latter's cameo in the last episode.

The novels all pre-date the formation of the Joint Fighter Wings, so they won't have any info on those. The JFWs were made after the success of the Suomus Independent Volunteer Air Squadron in the novels in 1939-1940, and the Afrikakorps of the Allied Human Forces in the doujinshi in 1941. Afterwards, several more were made, namely
501st - Britannia
502nd, 503rd - Eastern front
504th - Romagna
505th - the Urals
507th - Suomus

...Anyway, I don't remember where a lot of this info is stated, unfortunately. Gotta read all the extended info more systematically some day.
Ah, I see then. Thanks for the information.

The thing is, the reason I asked was when I checked the news thread over on 2ch, there was something about a 400th wing (or at least I think so) over in the thread.

Quote:
ストライクウィッチーズ 第400統合戦闘航空団
Perhaps you could help clarify?

Old 2009-02-28, 10:23   Link #1628
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
Ah, I see then. Thanks for the information.

The thing is, the reason I asked was when I checked the news thread over on 2ch, there was something about a 400th wing (or at least I think so) over in the thread.

Perhaps you could help clarify?
Oh lol. They name the number of the threads that way. So basically, 400*1000 = 399,000-400,000 posts so far. Once the 400th gets to 1000 posts, they'll make a 401st (thread).
Old 2009-02-28, 10:28   Link #1629
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Gah. Thanks then. Literal translation kind of failed there

Old 2009-02-28, 20:05   Link #1630
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Quote:
UFOTable suit better in this one IMO.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 01:12   Link #1631
ramlaen

ty again for your work selkirk
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 05:20   Link #1632
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
This has been in my list of anime to watch for a very long time and I got around to it this weekened. I really liked it so I looked into it some more as I usually do with most series I watch, and found out that a second season has recently been confirmed?
Old 2009-03-01, 06:05   Link #1633
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
This has been in my list of anime to watch for a very long time and I got around to it this weekened. I really liked it so I looked into it some more as I usually do with most series I watch, and found out that a second season has recently been confirmed?
Yep, that's right. We're all pretty happy about it.

qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 06:20   Link #1634
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
- What about getting out from under your bridge? Do you REALLY have to post how much you hate SW on EVERY Anime Forum you're on? Christ, I thought we already resolved this awhile back on the MT forums, why do you need to bring this up here?

And honestly, if I was the only one you were ticking off that might still be fine, but I'm not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
You didn't watch the first season so why come into this thread just to post against the franchise?
Honestly, stormy, do you really have something to say, or are you just being a cross-forum troll?

Last edited by wavehawk; 2009-03-01 at 06:36.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 06:51   Link #1635
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
Yep, that's right. We're all pretty happy about it.
News for me!

Here's to hoping that Gonzo doesn't totally blow the budget like they do with SOME sequels (Kaleido Star... Great sequel, bad budget!)
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 19:28   Link #1636
wavehawk
O GALILEO LET ME GO

Assuming they still have a budget to work with (see news articles about Gonzo's financial state), but I don't know. SW did pretty well animation quality-wise for the 13 eps it's on.

Good points with KyoAni--the main reason I liked them is because of their dedication to quality, but you're also right--they tend to work better with renai game conversions (particularly Key). FMP:TSR was good, and of course we have Haruhi.

Here's a question: If the animation art style changed, would you still watch Strike Witches? I remember watching the OVA (and utterly hating its style--which was why it was hard for me to suck it up and actually watch the TV series at the start) I suppose that, ideally, they should keep it as close to Humikane's original style as possible (such as in the TV animation--not the same, but close), but I'm thinking that a 2nd Season Strike Witches with character design changes may not be all welcome.

Also: I'm now wondering if they might get away with an SD Witches series...
Old 2009-03-01, 20:57   Link #1637
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

The only things I really noticed in the OVA were Yoshika's outrageous hair, and how big the guns were by comparison.

I think I'd still watch it, so long as the change isn't too drastic (and the quality doesn't drop to Minami-ke levels - I'm not watching Okawari or Okaeri).

qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 09:21   Link #1638
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Okay, fanart time, only featuring non-anime characters \o/.
And a link back to the translated profiles...

Heidemarie Schnaufer: Fanart for Heidemarie goes two ways: her desire for friends, or her bust size. To keep this somewhat SFW, I'm only posting the first one here .
I don't know why, but I quite like her character. Most probably because of the last pic (and being the youngest geschwaderkommandeur ever).
Side note: it was her birthday on 2/16.

Helma Lennartz: The serious girl who looks up to Barkhorn. Too bad she's getting laughed at in fanart for having something of a weak bladder.
Look at the hem of her uniform on Humikane's image to see why...

Nikka "Nipa" Katajainen: There's a lot of Eila and Nikka pics around, since they were together in the same squadron. One can tell the future and dodge incoming attacks, the other is unbelievably unlucky. Makes for some unfortunate situations for Katajainen .

She (unluckily) dropped the orussiayaki she made for Eila's birthday (2/21)... and got beat to the punch by Sanya. Poor girl.

Have some Elma Leivonen too.

Wilma Bishop: For whatever reason, she hardly has any (good) fanart. Best I could find. Ojisama suki~

Takei Junko: Not much good art for her either. It was her birthday (and Charlotte Yeager's) on 2/13.

And a nice one as an extra. I don't actually know who it is, and the original image was deleted so I can't read the tags and description. It looks sorta like a skinnier Katharine (right tail and ears), but the uniform sleeve is kinda off, even if the main part looks like the US uniform the most. This looks like a scene featuring her in the 2nd novel too, and the gun looks like an M1911, which would almost fit her... but she should be using a revolver.
Other than Katharine, it could be Rudel, but then she's missing her scar. Or maybe it's just some generic Witch. Would be nice if it were Katharine though, she isn't as annoying as she might appear, at least in the 2nd and 3rd novels.

Kuroe Ayaka: She hasn't gotten much good fanart, or at least any that would be SFW. Her birthday was on 2/17 though.
And Perrine's birthday was on 2/28.

February was a busy time for Strike Witch birthdays...
Old 2009-03-02, 18:24   Link #1639
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't think it's Katharine, Katharine is... sort of know for her chest. This one has a fairly modest chest though.

Speaking of Ayaka, I may have an image that is SFW-ish:

I also found this. It looks like the 4koma artists are starting to take notice of the novels as well (or otherwise, those leaking them to the English boards are starting to become aware of them). A bit OOC on Beurling's part (at least, how far I am) but it's amusing regardless:

And a few more Beurling images to finish it off:

God I love that girl.
Old 2009-03-04, 18:18   Link #1640
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Oh wow season two announced for real huh? This is what I get for being distracted by the slew of good games that dropped in late February I suppose Dawn of War 2, EndWar on PC, Halo Wars, and HAWX next week... And now more Strike Witches. Well that and tons of school work.

But not much is going on now and next week is spring break .Yes, March is shaping up to be a fine month indeed.

Quote:
Anyway, I finished translating the first doujinshi novelette.
Read it here
The remaining parts aren't connected to the actual story there. The original plot protoypes are proposed plots for the original novel and/or anime to follow, and the comments are just general comments from the makers.

Going back to the novel translation soon.
Nice, though the entire thing still gave me huge Ace Combat Zero vibes.

Quote:
Rather than a prequel/sequel, a side story would be nice. Not like there's any lack of real-life people/events from WW2 to adapt, or the completely untouched (in the anime) ground side of the war. Book 2 of the novel has a lot of ground-attacking and mentions mechanized armored infantry (tank witches), and the two official doujinshi are mostly on tank witches as well. I sure wouldn't mind some gender-bent heavy armored brigades.

Well, another reason I would like a side story is that I don't really like any of the anime characters .
For reason explained below I'd actually go with infantry rather then tanks. Though I'd also be interested in how witches would work in a ground based setting, ground warfare is really a numbers game. Increased fighting power in individual units can make up some of this, but a certain critical mass is still needed to hold or take ground.

I'd think that any sort of ground war would almost certainly require the use of many normal troops supplemented in places by witches, rather then the "witches only" air war we've seen. The Doujin being the prime example of course. Could be an interesting difference too to see the ground witches interacting more closely with normal units as opposed to the largely segregated air witches.

Quote:
I can see it now, Wina Rommel, Bernadette Montgomery etc.
However, tank combat is very different from aerial combat, there are no 'aces' on the ground, or at least, not recognised as such, so where do the names come from? Are they just made up?
They do exist to some extent, but for many reasons they’re not as well documented as aircraft aces. Really the biggest problem is simple: Tanks weren’t driven alone.

That’s really the central issue and even when someone talks about a “tank ace” they usually mention tank commanders, but that “ace” was only as good as his driver, loader, and gunner. The commander directed the tank and spotted targets, the gunner actually fired at them, the loader made sure they could keep firing quickly, and the driver obviously kept them moving and out of bad terrain. It takes all the crew to make a tank effective.

So unlike the fighter aircraft which was normally a single seat machine already, tanks don’t lend themselves as well to the concept behind SW to begin with. (It’s also probably why roughly 99% of mecha are single-seat despite the fact they’d almost surely function better with at least a pair of crewmen)

That said there is a simple solution just note the name: Armored INFANTRY. The history books overflow’ith with accounts of insanely skilled or insanely lucky infantry heroes.Though this idea suddenly gives me visions of a Strike Witches FPS… would probably play something like this:

Quote:
Selkirk-- I generally like the anime charas, but having read your translations of the light novel, I gotta agree the novel charas have more personality. Advantage of the medium, I suppose (not having too much visual reference means more focus on characters/portrayal in books). Of course, I'll wait until you're done, and I'm enjoying the story so far. ^_^
I've found stuff to like in both places, part of the issue I think was the series was only 13 eps and had allot of people to try and introduce and not a ton of time to do it. The novel has like half as many main characters from what I can see and allot more time to spend fleshing them out.

Quote:
EDIT:I think I can also blame Strike Witches for making me feel guilty for playing all of those WWII FPS shooters; particularly the one where I snuck around killing maintenance techs in aircraft hangars (Doesn't help that Minna's my favorite, either)
No worries for me there I've I always let guys live if possible. Then again I'm also the kind of guy who'll get angry if my completely expendable brain dead NPC allies are killed. I've acutally restarted levels when this happened.

Quote:
Though I'll still be the #1 English-speaking Strike Witches fan and buy a limited edition version of the game. Even though I have neither a PS2 nor a DS <_<;.
Maybe I could ship you the one by brother busted the hinge on… it still works. (He’s on DS number three now IIRC)

Quote:
I want a Strike Witches action RPG/RTS... With fully positionable camera. It could have the current 501st as starting characters, and add in more at various stages. But in all likelihood, it won't happen, so I'll just keep dreaming.
Go play Dawn of War 2, just replace Witch with "Space Marine" and it's exactly what you described.

Quote:
On a different note... More Erica... I am satisfied.
Hopefully the rest of the fandom will be so easily pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Well, as long as they're not adapting any written works, they should be able to play around with the level of extremeness displayed. They should still be able to use novel characters that way. I hope they will focus on some of the novel characters as well (Beurling! Beurling! Beurling!)
I've been taking a liking to Marseille myself as of late, either one would be sweet though.

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, magic, mecha, mecha musume