AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-25, 23:20   Link #121
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
I'm no revolutionist, but smoking and "cool" don't go well together. It's soft how kids think that way these days.

Anyone can smoke. Not everyone can choose not to and resist. Hence, we have smokers. In High School, yeah you're respected by your crew or stoners or whatever, but in reality, it's just soft. Because anyone can do it. Doesn't prove anything. People get cake (money) to get baked (high) to..

Too tired to get into this lol ~~ Gnite~~
Well, the cool image was something of a historical fossil really. Nowadays it's only "cool" to specific groups; the counter-effects of the anti-smoking propaganda can actually be seen in that they succeed in making smoking "NOT cool" to many, many people, which push the force of peer pressure the other way around in many cases.

Regardless, if you look at the historical advertisements for smoking, it's so utterly beating-over-my-head obvious that the message is: smoking is cool.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 23:40   Link #122
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I don't respect people who can't resist the action as much as those who do. It doesn't mean I'll treat them like dirt, and it doesn't mean I can't be friends with them, it is just something that I would look down upon if I knew said persons.
Well, but you should know that there's a lot of things that make up the existence of a person other than smoking. If I had to look down on everyone who I believe is doing something wrong, then I would be really, really lonely in this world right now.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 00:23   Link #123
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Symptoms? hm, IIRC, it was primarily anxiety, like I can't stay still and needing to put something in my mouth. I began to eat a lot to calm it., but shortly after deciding to quit I went to visit my grandparents in Osaka, that made it a lot easier. Seeing old friends, being with the grandparents, basically getting away from everything that was stressing me out.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 06:21   Link #124
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
A couple side notes:

A scary trend in teenagers my age is actually the fact that a lot of people just do all these things like drugs just for the hell of it.

I largely disapprove of the cigarette industry. The U.S. government only legalizes drugs that are made by white people. Either legalize all drugs or none at all, cut the crap is all I have to say.
Response to first remark - It's not really a trend. People are just have more knowledge of the effects and consequences now. It wasn't all that long ago when smoking was allowed in hospitals, the Army passed out cigarettes to soldiers, and the Flintstones were pimping cigarette commercials on national television.

Much like asbestos, people really didn't understand what this stuff could do. Of course, asbestos is illegal now. And it's not addictive.

Response to second remark - That's an extremely racist comment, and it makes about as much sense as saying that white people created AIDS to kill black people.

There are three legal types of drugs in the US - alcohol, tobacco, and pharmaceutical. We fought the alcohol battle and lost. We're hit and miss with tobacco. We rely on pharmaceutical but try and curb abuse.

Everything else is illegal, except for medical marijuana (and even then it's only legal in some states). And we're losing our ass on the "war on drugs". Don't try and pin this on whites. Pin this on people who gain profit from preying on someone else's poor decision making. To fight the battle, you can either try and cut down on those who prey, or empower those who make poor decisions with better knowledge. I might be going out on a limb here but I doubt the former is working as well as the latter.

That's what makes youth so attractive to pushers though. Start them young and you'll hook them for life, there's always youth to pull from and preying on young people who don't know any better is just too damn easy.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 17:20   Link #125
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28 37', North ; 77 13', East
Age: 24
going slightly off the trend this thread is moving..

im sorry to get a little angry about this, but ive heard a lot of

' i look down on smokers ', or i ' completely dissaprove of smoking ' etc etc. this is exactly the type of thing that i thought i would NOT find on this forum. yes, its dangerous and its bad for health, we know that ( and so do a LOT of other things that we do everyday ), its written on the bloody boxes for heavens sake, and no this doesnt make all smokers freakin retarded either. and no, you dont have to PITY them either! Its peoples choice, let them do as they wish, frankly speaking none of us have ANY right ot say ' oh sorry you shouldnt do this shouldnt do that '. we dont decide whats right or wrong.

zz.. ok now ive calmed down a bit. look, we all know the tobacco industry makes billions, and yeah, it drags in a lot of suckers. but for heavens sake, lets try and not make 'smokers' a generalization? ( please dont say after this, no i wasnt etc etc, i DONT mean any offense to any particular person ) and im sorry if anyone meant otherwise, but you cant exactly blame me for seeing it that way either. why im saying this here, or why i did get a little angry about some of these responses, because theres been a big discussion going on on this very forum about how ANNOYING and downright STUPID it is to stereotype people who watch anime. how are we any different if we generalize people as 'smokers' or 'junkies' just because they smoke or take drugs once in a while. hell a lot of my best friends do, and i do stop them when it gets out of hand, but its certainly no reason to look down on them. whether anyone meant it or not, just for future reference, lets not try and sterotype smokers here? cos then were just as bad as those morons who might have stereotyped some of us.

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2008-05-26 at 17:37.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 18:59   Link #126
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Well, but you should know that there's a lot of things that make up the existence of a person other than smoking. If I had to look down on everyone who I believe is doing something wrong, then I would be really, really lonely in this world right now.
Yes, that is very true.


@oompa loompa

Stereotypes are made because they are common. We should not immediately assume people under certain groups fall under said stereotypes, but when you meet people, the stereotype trait is likely to be in them. That's another subject though, and I won't get into it too much.

I'll just be a moron in my thinking. I consider it irrational, people tend to act irrationally in life, I feel we should help to protect people form themselves. If there is something wrong with that, then I say just legalize all drugs. People can do whatever they please.

@ Solace

If that's what you call being racist, well sorry, I guess I'll have to be racist "according to you." Honestly, point out for me what doesn't make sense about it. Tobacco companies are owned by white people, cigarettes happen to be more harmful than say marijuana. I don't think this is any small coincidence.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 19:08   Link #127
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Well, life is a balance of rationality and irrationality. Depends on which side you lean to at times. Just don't stay at any one side for too long.

Besides, there are many tobacco companies all over the world, not just in the US.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 19:09   Link #128
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Reckoner, do you honestly believe race has anything to do with owning a drug company?
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 19:13   Link #129
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
It's racist because it's a sweeping generalization. It's the same as saying that all illegal drugs are made by non-whites. Do you know, for a fact, that all people who own and run tobacco companies are white? Do you know, for a fact, that the government only allows certain drugs to be legal because they are manufactured by white people?

If you can show evidence to these claims, I'll retract my statements and accept that you are not making baseless racist comments. Until then, I'll assume you've never learned anything about the history of alcohol and drug manufacture and use and the spread of it throughout cultures in history.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 19:25   Link #130
klowny
OH NO
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York
Age: 23
alright guys no need to bring up race in smoking because race has nothing to do with owning a tobacco company. By saying and quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Tobacco companies are owned by white people
means that "white" people are can do anything the hell they want, damn those white people (sarcasm)

remember Race is still a sensitive subject

but back to the original topic

people can smoke if they want to and when i see those Stop Smoking AD's i just like to laugh about how smoking can affect you, believe me i was smoking and someone were to ask me to stop i wouldn't and why? I wouldn't want someone telling me what to do, let me smoke i know the risk's
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 19:28   Link #131
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Tobacco companies are owned by white people, cigarettes happen to be more harmful than say marijuana. I don't think this is any small coincidence.
Funny that Korea's tobacco company is nationalized, and most people smoke Korean brands.....
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 19:37   Link #132
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Funny that Korea's tobacco company is nationalized, and most people smoke Korean brands.....
Brands such as...?

Last time I checked, Marlboro was one of the more popular brands in the U.S., and that's not a Korean brand.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 19:39   Link #133
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Brands such as...?

Last time I checked, Marlboro was one of the more popular brands in the U.S., and that's not a Korean brand.
I was talking about Korea


I was trying to refute Reckoner's possible assumption that most of the world's tobacco is done by the "white" people.
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 19:55   Link #134
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Reckoner, do you honestly believe race has anything to do with owning a drug company?
In the U.S. I think it definitely does. If cigarettes were manufactured mainly by Mexican businesses, but we grew our own marijuana, the legalization of both drugs I believe would have been flip flopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's racist because it's a sweeping generalization. It's the same as saying that all illegal drugs are made by non-whites. Do you know, for a fact, that all people who own and run tobacco companies are white? Do you know, for a fact, that the government only allows certain drugs to be legal because they are manufactured by white people?

If you can show evidence to these claims, I'll retract my statements and accept that you are not making baseless racist comments. Until then, I'll assume you've never learned anything about the history of alcohol and drug manufacture and use and the spread of it throughout cultures in history.
Well let's see. The American Tobacco Industry, a monopoly eventually broken up, was started by this man. It then split into some of these companies. I find it funny that all these companies were started by white people. I can go look for the current CEOs of the companies right now if you really want me to, I'd be willing to bet that these guys are white businessmen too.

Now it is not fact that America only legalizes drugs made by white people, it is just one of my speculations that I think holds to be true. And I think it would be kind of funny if I actually was racist against half my heritage, I'm Mexican and Mexico happens to be the king of drug trafficking in Latin America... supplying plenty of illegal drugs in the U.S.

@ KSG

I should clarify that I mean in the U.S. Sorry about that.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 20:01   Link #135
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
I don't think Mexico is the producer. Most crack in the US is probably from Colombia. Mexico is just a relay station.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 20:03   Link #136
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
@ KSG

I should clarify that I mean in the U.S. Sorry about that.
No problem.
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 20:07   Link #137
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Umm... Tobacco is grown in most of Latin America (*especially* in Mexico), just the same as marijuana and cocaine. And you'd be fooling yourself if you believed that the people handling the distribution of illegal drugs in the US are Mexican immigrants or otherwise non-white (thus, as I deduct from your post, less powerful) people.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 20:10   Link #138
klowny
OH NO
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York
Age: 23
i'm mexican and i'm not ashamed if what you say IS true but what prove do you have that Mexico is the "King" of drug trafficking in Latin America?
Back to topic

we are just talking about smoking here people, drugs can be another topic or added to this one by a thread change but then again i'm not one to ask of that
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 21:32   Link #139
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I would not be concerned about the habits of smokers if not for the fact that they stinks. Imagine standing next to someone who just had a smoke in a packed train. There is no escape short of exiting the train.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 22:20   Link #140
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
zz.. ok now ive calmed down a bit. look, we all know the tobacco industry makes billions, and yeah, it drags in a lot of suckers. but for heavens sake, lets try and not make 'smokers' a generalization? ( please dont say after this, no i wasnt etc etc, i DONT mean any offense to any particular person ) and im sorry if anyone meant otherwise, but you cant exactly blame me for seeing it that way either. why im saying this here, or why i did get a little angry about some of these responses, because theres been a big discussion going on on this very forum about how ANNOYING and downright STUPID it is to stereotype people who watch anime. how are we any different if we generalize people as 'smokers' or 'junkies' just because they smoke or take drugs once in a while. hell a lot of my best friends do, and i do stop them when it gets out of hand, but its certainly no reason to look down on them. whether anyone meant it or not, just for future reference, lets not try and sterotype smokers here? cos then were just as bad as those morons who might have stereotyped some of us.
While I don't believe you were targeting me with that post, and while I agree with much of what you'd said, I do think that the vast majority of smokers deserve to be pitied. They've basically ignored the warnings and/or didn't give much consideration to the consequences, and then many of them become trapped by their addiction. How is that not something deserving of sympathy? Reckoner calls it foolish (and in many ways it is), but I don't think that it's right to let those people be taken advantage of. If smoking were simply smelly and harmful to your lungs, then I'd say fine - it's their choice of what they want to do. But due to that addiction factor, they can't just quit when they want to. That isn't all right with you, I hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
In the U.S. I think it definitely does. If cigarettes were manufactured mainly by Mexican businesses, but we grew our own marijuana, the legalization of both drugs I believe would have been flip flopped.
The money behind the industry is really what you're targeting. The tobacco industry is very powerful money-wise, and it was also very well-established long before the health risks and the addictive factors were known. Due to its power and pervasion among society it can't simply be wiped out over night, even if doing so would be the right thing to do.

If it were to be associated with Caucasians, then the reason would have to do with racism that plagued society in the past. Caucasians were on top, and thus they constituted the wealthy and the business makers. Minority groups, until relatively recently, haven't had the resources to form large, powerful companies.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
debate

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.