AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-12-28, 07:13   Link #41
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Levy (Black Lagoon)
Saber (Fate/Stay Night)
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 08:04   Link #42
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

I'm surprised that so many people are nominating Revy (not Levy, as her full name is Rebecca) from Black Lagoon when even she cowers in the presence of the REAL badass of the show, Miss Balalaika.

Here we have a lady whom if she were to tell you to assrape yourself with a desert cactus, you would; because may the Lord have mercy on your immortal soul if you so much as said no.

Compared to her, Revy and Roberta are tabby-cats, and that speaks volume of her aura of badassery.

What adds even further to her aura is that Balalaika is not on the "Good Side". People on the "Good Side" tend to fight for the "Greater Good" and as such, are not privy to methods of questionable ethics and/or morals. If Balalaika has to burn your family down and kick your pet dog to get to you, she will. This is where characters such as Mao falter on the badassery scale. While she is a mercenary and not a total goody-two-shoes, it would still be totally out of her character to kidnap innocents and/or execute them. Balalaika though? They better pray they had their wills written already.

Balalaika is also a good fighter and an extreme war veteran. This aspect of her piles even more badassery onto her, so much so that if you work under her, excess badassery will probably spill onto you and make YOU into a badass as well. Men will die for her, and I don't mean for her beauty.

Integra's failing has been mentioned already, so I will not elaborate further on her.

I am not familiar with the Major from GitS, so I will refrain from commenting on her.

I love Balalaika's character. I have never met a more badass female character in anime than her. Whenever she is involved in an arc, you just know serious shit is going to happen, and you're going to enjoy it, even if the hapless victims are screaming and peeing in their pants.

Cheers.
Old 2007-12-28, 09:21   Link #43
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I just remembered Yolanda, now she was badass.
Old 2007-12-28, 09:43   Link #44
EXEs
Hallelujah...

None of you mentioned Shana? Shame on you lot.
Old 2007-12-28, 10:51   Link #45
Dxon
Inactive user

I didnt even watch Shana!
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 13:00   Link #46
Keahi19

No one agreed with Mao. Bad people.
Keahi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 13:20   Link #47
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keahi19 View Post
No one agreed with Mao. Bad people.
I'll give it to them that Mao is badass, but most badass? Not in my opinion.

Cheers.
Old 2007-12-28, 14:43   Link #48
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Disagree with you Skane. Balalaika is scarier than her sisters in the Trinity, but scarier doesn't always mean more badass. Balalaika's ruthlessness and preference for well thought-out tactics that depend on her men and not her individual ability may be extremely effective, but they aren't as badass as Roberta's terminator routine.

Walking out of an explosion on your own two feet will always be more badass than ordering a hit.
Old 2007-12-28, 15:06   Link #49
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

I'd say that Revy is more badass than Balalaika or Roberta.

Balalaika is cold, rutheless etc. But she doesn't do the main fighting.

Roberta could be a badass if she had Revy's cocky attitude. She's just too silent.
Old 2007-12-28, 19:58   Link #50
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

I am not familiar with the Major from GitS, so I will refrain from commenting on her.
Revy with all her "I shoot a thousand bullets but don't hit $hit...," persona would get pwned by the Major...Motoko would rape Revy and wire choke her to death all before she'd know what was going on...Basically Revy would never know who killed her...I honestly think Revy is overhyped, much like the entire second season of Black Lagoon...As for Balalaika, put her in an empty warehouse with unlimited ammo and Motoko would still own her and have enuff time to joke about it to Ishikawa in the earpiece...None of these caricutures are on Motoko's level...LMAO she even sleeps with teenagers and asked them if they wanna feel her prostetic body ...

Basically Motoko owns this thread...Sorry NSW...
Old 2007-12-28, 20:11   Link #51
Casshern

I just wanted to say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
...Motoko owns this thread.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 20:22   Link #52
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Keahi, I agree with you on Melissa Mao. She is a badass in my book.

Okay, I haven't seen black lagoon. I'm sure there are some total badass women in anime that I don't know about. However, Melissa Mao is pretty badass. She is a tough mercenary. Maybe not a total badass, as she isn't a cold and merciless character and has a sweet and soft side, but that is fine, I wouldn't want her to be different than she is. I'd say Yoruichi from Bleach is badass, too.

My most badass character I nominate for this thread is Karura from Utawarerumono. She is pretty damn badass. I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned her. She has supernatural strength, for one thing. She wields a sword no man could even lift. And she swings that thing like a bat! She drinks all the time. She could drink anyone in that series under the table. Some examples of how she is badass.
Spoiler:
She is pretty even tempered, most times she is non-chalant and tends to smile despite the events or occasion at the time. Even when she is fighting at times. She has a sweet side to her, so she has some warmth to her personality. All things considered, especially her uncanny strength, how tough she is, and how good of a fighter she is, she is a real badass. Pretty hot, too. One of those busty babe types. She is a catgirl, on top of it all. =3

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2008-01-01 at 02:19.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 01:45   Link #53
Keahi19

Cool. Well I tried realistic badass. Heheheh Well okie don't know many of those animes.
Keahi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 06:04   Link #54
Lynx190
Keine is moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned her.
I didn't elaborate, but http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...6&postcount=31
Lynx190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 12:28   Link #55
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Revy with all her "I shoot a thousand bullets but don't hit $hit...," persona would get pwned by the Major...Motoko would rape Revy and wire choke her to death all before she'd know what was going on...Basically Revy would never know who killed her...I honestly think Revy is overhyped, much like the entire second season of Black Lagoon...As for Balalaika, put her in an empty warehouse with unlimited ammo and Motoko would still own her and have enuff time to joke about it to Ishikawa in the earpiece...None of these caricutures are on Motoko's level...LMAO she even sleeps with teenagers and asked them if they wanna feel her prostetic body ...

First of all, this isn't who would kill who in a fight, or I'd just put up the Lord of Nightmares and be done with it, since reality itself depends on being kept apart from her being to survive.

Revy isn't a badass because of how good a gunfighter she is, since like you said by anime main character standards she can't hit shit. It's more about her attitude and how she's presented; her skills only have to be enough for her to pull off badass scenes in her own setting. How her skills compare to those characters in different settings is totally irrelevant.

Oh, and if Motoko ever went up against Balalaika in an empty warehouse, she'd find out pretty fast that a) Balalaika isn't there and b) what is there is either a lot of very well-armed, well-trained Russians, or more likely just a few hundred kilos of Semtex surprise.

Seriously, did you even watch Black Lagoon? Balalaika never needs to be in the fight as a soldier except in one flashback (throwing Rock around doesn't count as a fight), her real strength is in her private army and ability to take urban territory by destroying opposing networks. She fights with intimidation and informants first, guns and bombs second. Look at the Yakuza arc in The Second Barrage- by the time the Yakuza even knew where she was based there were two of them left. Hotel Moscow never took a single casualty because they got their opponents to spend what little fighting power they could assemble after the initial waves of attacks on some other Russian mafia that wasn't even part of the fight.
Old 2007-12-29, 12:46   Link #56
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I'm surprised that so many people are nominating Revy (not Levy, as her full name is Rebecca) from Black Lagoon when even she cowers in the presence of the REAL badass of the show, Miss Balalaika.
Exactly. I am not the biggest fan of Black Lagoon but as lnog as Balalika's character remains consitently badass, I would watch whatever stupid plots they might come up with.
I think her seiyuu is a big part of Balalaika's badassness, she even managed to make a rather weak willed and potentially annoying character like Eva from Monster sound kind of cool and aggressive.

Quote:
Walking out of an explosion on your own two feet will always be more badass than ordering a hit.
No, it's not, it usually looks very silly and annoying to me. Roberta bored me to tears and actually made me stop watching Black Lagoon for a while.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 17:52   Link #57
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
First of all, this isn't who would kill who in a fight, or I'd just put up the Lord of Nightmares and be done with it, since reality itself depends on being kept apart from her being to survive.

Revy isn't a badass because of how good a gunfighter she is, since like you said by anime main character standards she can't hit shit. It's more about her attitude and how she's presented; her skills only have to be enough for her to pull off badass scenes in her own setting. How her skills compare to those characters in different settings is totally irrelevant.

Oh, and if Motoko ever went up against Balalaika in an empty warehouse, she'd find out pretty fast that a) Balalaika isn't there and b) what is there is either a lot of very well-armed, well-trained Russians, or more likely just a few hundred kilos of Semtex surprise.

Seriously, did you even watch Black Lagoon? Balalaika never needs to be in the fight as a soldier except in one flashback (throwing Rock around doesn't count as a fight), her real strength is in her private army and ability to take urban territory by destroying opposing networks. She fights with intimidation and informants first, guns and bombs second. Look at the Yakuza arc in The Second Barrage- by the time the Yakuza even knew where she was based there were two of them left. Hotel Moscow never took a single casualty because they got their opponents to spend what little fighting power they could assemble after the initial waves of attacks on some other Russian mafia that wasn't even part of the fight.
Seriously have you watched, Gits, Gits innocence, GITSSAC, GITSSAC2?? If you had you'd know Motoko operates with a full cybernetic team that routinely takes care of wannabe bada$$ back-up artillery (Even full militia's and terrorist organizations a million times more complex in cell make-up than anything Balalaika could even conceptialize)...In the retarded plot world of Black Lagoon you can get away with large-scale sadistic megalomaniac murder (Then drink a beer while groping yourself), but in the realistic context of the Gits world Balalaika is just a one episode arc character, trust that...Tachicoma's would have the warehouse fully swept before Balalaika's lackeys could even watch the plastic on the explosion charge dry (There's no need for me to mention an A or B option)...Motoko travels into cyber networks to battle the agendas of brilliant self-realizing, self-deprecating artificial intelligent manifestations...I doubt Balalaika's best laid plans would make her sweat much...

Anyone that's bada$$ and can get taken out in under a minute ain't bada$$ enuff and Motoko's agency skills are a thousand times more deadly than randomly shooting 80 clips without hitting jack or puffing a cuban with a ZOMG scar on your face for dramatic effect...It isn't just the fact that Motoko is both a physical and mental mismatch for every woman character in Black Lagoon, she exhibits a jaded, yet non-chalant and passive attitude against opponents unworthy of her full output...

The thing that turned me off about the second season of BL is the characters became so pretentious...Like they hired a fake Quentin Tarentino to write the characters or something...So you can have your fictitious Russian mafia's ruled by former blonde pagent winners, because when it comes to Motoko what's bada$$ (Besides her entire persona) is her results...
Old 2007-12-29, 19:37   Link #58
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Anyone that's bada$$ and can get taken out in under a minute ain't bada$$ enuff
Again this is not a thread about who can defeat whom...Talking about that when the characters in question are from different series and even different periods of history/present or future is totally futile, anyway.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 19:52   Link #59
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Go Major Kusanagi! I have seen little of Black Lagoon, but Motoko is badass with style. I suppose that's what NSW says when s/he says that Motoko "can't seem to enjoy a good ass-kicking"... she doesn't need to! She's so badass she's completely over the circumstances

And I'd keep my eyes on the upcoming Real Drive... it promises to have a really really badass female lead indeed, the Masamune Shirow trademark

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 02:40   Link #60
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
I can't really argue. Revy seems more badass to me, but Motoko has such a different style of badass that disagreeing seems more of a personal preference to me. Motoko is pretty damn badass after all.

Quote:
I agree. Motoko is still pretty damn badass. BTW, not only is LoN the most dangerous thing imaginable, but it acts pretty badass also. Still, not as badass as either Motoko or Revy. (Yeah, Motoko would smoke Revy without working up a sweat, but I still think Revy is more badass. Does Motoko even sweat?)

Quote:
Oh please. Don't underestimate Motoko that way. This isn't about who would beat whom, but Motoko's planning skills are AAA just like Balalaika. Though actual level of dangerousness varies so much from show to show that it is pointless to compare between shows or else Lord of Nightmare defeats everyone without exception. You cannot trump the alpha and omega.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is to ask that folks stop comparing power levels. It is both pointless and off-topic. There are characters who can destroy whole planets in an instant, but that doesn't make them proportionally stronger than people in shows that don't have psychics or magic. Just drop the whole power level comparison or else I'll have to start deleting posts and I hate doing that.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime