AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Kai Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 121 39.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 104 33.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 55 17.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 4.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.63%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.65%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.33%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 0.98%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-15, 16:48   Link #101
EusebioKun
OMG I go to college!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
Send a message via AIM to EusebioKun
imo Season 1 was better than Season 2.
__________________
Dennou Coil
EusebioKun is offline  
Old 2008-05-26, 03:02   Link #102
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Note: This review is both for seasons 1 and 2, since I don't think I can review one without the other.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni:

Animation Quality: 8
Voice Actors: 8
Script: 8
Editing: 7
Emotional Involvement: 9

Average = 8/10

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai:

Animation Quality: 9
Voice Actors: 8
Script: 8
Editing: 8
Emotional Involvement: 7

Average = 8/10

Note: 8/10 in my scale means "Excellent," not "Okay."

First off, I never played the game. I do however think that this is one of the best anime I have ever watched. The reason is because I never played the game. The first season did leave out many things the game had, but I will argue that Kai fixed many of it. What I mean to say is, the fake arc in Kai filled in many holes that season one didn't touch upon, and that made all the difference. It is as if the adaptation changes direction just a bit, but the result being the same. Therefore, I give my props to the script of season one because Yakusamashi-hen.

Kai proved to be quite disappointing for a couple of reasons. First, it is completely not Kai's fault. The reason I was not "into" Kai as much as the first season is because the pace completely switched around. I was so used to the pace of season one (4-6 episodes per arc) that the last Matsuribayashi-hen (which has 11 episodes) just seemed to be unnecessarily boring. However, this cannot be fixed in any way, because season one was paced so fast that it went through six arcs, leaving only two real arcs for Kai. The best scenario in my opinion would be to have 5 arcs for season one (including one answer arc) and three for Kai. For example, I would have liked Takano's past to be one episode shorter. At the end of Matsuribayashi-hen, there was no climax. I have already predicted what would happen in the last two episodes that no plot twist could have surprised me. In fact, I expected Hanyuu not to die also when she was about to get shot. In summary, the first season's pace was too fast to the point that it left little story left for Kai and caused a dramatic change in pace.

However, Kai received very good responses from game players. I believe that the pace of Kai is right for game players, since almost everything was revealed (with some exceptions because of major season one screwups that could not be fixed, such as giving the doll to Rena/Mion). With this topic I would like to say that I preferred season one's pace more. In fact, I found it to be okay because I didn't know how much was left out. Of course later on I knew how much was left out, thus that is why I now prefer Tsumihoroboshi-hen to be saved for Kai. So my point is the anime would have to go at a somewhat faster pace than the game to be fully enjoyable, so while game players might have enjoyed Kai very much, to the average anime viewer me (me), it was a bit too slow. I just think that not everything had to be answered because that could ruin the suspense for the anime (but not for the game, since both are enjoyed differently in my opinion). For example, I applaud Studio DEEN for not showing the Mion/Shion switch in the notebook and Shion getting the tattoo by accident, because that would just further confuse the viewer.

After saying all this, I must hate the series, right? Not really. I just like to nitpick at things I am annoyed about. Both seasons had episodes that received a good amount of 10's from me, and I greatly enjoyed them. In fact, I think that the script for the game (or rather, the plot of the series, not the script/execution) is very good, and I would probably rate it 9.5/10. I can't find anything good to say about this series because it can't be put into words. All I know is that I had lots of fun watching it, and I would recommend it to anyone. However, I won't say that Kai is better than the first season. Kai saved the first season and let it make more sense, so because that fact, both of them are regarded as equally good for me.

Final score: 8/10, "Excellent"


Spoiler for My Rating Scale:
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2008-05-27, 15:42   Link #103
reptar300
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Season 2...

8/10 overall

Season 2 was great, but I really missed the horror moments and also I was glad it was a happy ending but it felt rushed to me... oh and the ending was kind of confusing to me a little.
reptar300 is offline  
Old 2008-07-05, 17:21   Link #104
gibits
Endless
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
I started off with the manga and ended up watching the anime to get my fix.

The plot is one of the best I've read so far, with lots of twists and turns. Even in its condensed form I thought it paced itself well.

The worst part is the animation. Its just plain bad, especially the "psycho" parts, were just laughable rather than menacing. At those parts I had a hard time being scared, I would compare it to loony tunes quality of animation at its worst.

8/10 I want to give it a 10 but the animation was just too bad. I wish the manga would get scanlated but that seems dead atm.
gibits is offline  
Old 2008-07-05, 17:25   Link #105
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 29
Well... you could say that the second season brought the animation level up a few levels but indeed, the first season is just ... quirky
Proto is offline  
Old 2008-07-06, 22:15   Link #106
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: hinamizawa in an endless cycle of death
Age: 23
just finished season dos about a week ago. it was excellent! when i was done watching season 1 i asked myself "what the heck did i just watch?" but when i saw season 2 it all added up. it did take a while for all the questions to be answered though, i nearly gave up on it... lucky i didnt. it was a great anime though through season one it was a bit of a snorsvill but i got really into it when season 2 hit.
so overall i give it a 9 out of 10
__________________

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline  
Old 2008-07-06, 22:18   Link #107
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: hinamizawa in an endless cycle of death
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibits View Post
I started off with the manga and ended up watching the anime to get my fix.

The plot is one of the best I've read so far, with lots of twists and turns. Even in its condensed form I thought it paced itself well.

The worst part is the animation. Its just plain bad, especially the "psycho" parts, were just laughable rather than menacing. At those parts I had a hard time being scared, I would compare it to loony tunes quality of animation at its worst.

8/10 I want to give it a 10 but the animation was just too bad. I wish the manga would get scanlated but that seems dead atm.
i dont know, i found the animation quite unque. i think they were trying to put in something different when they made the character's exspressions the way they did.
__________________

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline  
Old 2008-07-31, 22:17   Link #108
Ryuugu-chan
.....?
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Wink

I have no idea how to right a recent review for season 1 or season 2 of Higurashi...So I'll just put my rating for both seasons!

Season 1/Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

Animation Quality: 9
Voice Actors: 10
Script: 10
Script: 10

Overall: 9 1/2

Season 2/Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai


Animation Quality: 10
Voice Actors: 10
Script: 10
Script: [I]10[I]

Overall: 10

Overall 2 seasons : 10!!

Ryuugu-chan is offline  
Old 2008-08-01, 12:40   Link #109
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime ronin View Post
i dont know, i found the animation quite unque. i think they were trying to put in something different when they made the character's exspressions the way they did.
loony tunes animation isnt bad... =P
kingsky123 is offline  
Old 2008-08-02, 18:50   Link #110
RenaFuura
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Guess
I give the whole series 8.5/10 btw in the first season chapter 1 was rena and shion acting crazy or was that all in keiichi's mind and why were those plumber guys trying to capture him?
RenaFuura is offline  
Old 2008-08-02, 20:55   Link #111
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaFuura View Post
I give the whole series 8.5/10 btw in the first season chapter 1 was rena and shion acting crazy or was that all in keiichi's mind and why were those plumber guys trying to capture him?
I'm assuming most people on this thread have watched the series, but just in case, you might want to put that in spoiler tags xD

Spoiler for Higurashi Episode 4:
Shinigami_Mello is offline  
Old 2008-08-03, 13:55   Link #112
RenaFuura
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami_Mello View Post
I'm assuming most people on this thread have watched the series, but just in case, you might want to put that in spoiler tags xD

Spoiler for Higurashi Episode 4:
Oh, yeah I never thought of that before, lol. Thanks for the help
RenaFuura is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 13:07   Link #113
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Australia
9/10 for Kai. Introduced a terrific main villain, and answered all the questions from the first season and then some. The new character Hanyuu is adorable, and the ending is deeply satisfying. The grand scheme of the plot is amazing and incredibly creative.
__________________
Eczema is offline  
Old 2008-10-29, 16:13   Link #114
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rokkenjima stage
Hm... Me neither knows how to write a propher review... But here we go...

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni:

Animation Quality: 7
Voice Actors: 10
Script: 7
Editing: 8
Emotional Involvement: 9

Average = 10/10
"The first season was my favorite season. Somehow I think Kai became a little too peaceful for me. And I also think that Kai captured the emotional involvement as well as the games did. That was a dissapointment. Anyways, back to first season. I really liked the actors, their voices were so perfect *-* But the animation wasn't that good though But I liked the animation in the first season better than the second. And I cried alot at Meakashi-hen and Tsumihoroboshi-hen. They really capured the emotional feelings there.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai:

Animation Quality: 6
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 4
Editing: 7
Emotional Involvement: 5

Average = 6/10
"The second season was a dissapointment. To be honest. When it was released I followed the first 3 or 4 episodes or so, then I stopped watching. About half a year later I finished the series. It was kind of boring. They didn't make it so understandable and a little bit "same scenes all the time". But I reaaallly liked the end of Minagoroshi-hen. I cried so much when Kei-chan died :'( But I didn't feel so much emotional feeling otherwise. That was also a dissapointment."
Golden Witch Drugs is offline  
Old 2008-11-23, 16:22   Link #115
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind you >:)
Age: 17
Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Higurashi No naku koro ni Kai

Animation Quality: 8
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 7
Editing: 8
Emotional Involvement: 7 1/2

I was disspointed of how long Minagoroshi-hen went, Unlike the other arcs this one just had too much going on, It also lacked in emotion which the first season had plenty on.
Thinking about it it just seems like they never really tried to make the story as intrestng as it was in Minagoroshi hen.
Now Matsuriboyoshi-hen wasnt so bad, Hanyuu transfering wasnt that bad ether but the thing that really dispointed me was when they tried to make it filled action at the end , They just failed on that part pretty much
Chaho-Chi is offline  
Old 2009-04-05, 16:09   Link #116
Usami_Haru
Actually an Alligator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Running through Sharnoth
Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
The thing is when people hear Higurashi Kai they think it's going to be exactly like Higurashi there is a reason the Kai (solutions) is there instead of just Higurashi 2. The mistake deen made IMO was adding Meakashi-hen and Tsumihoroboshi-hen to the first season as they are not a part of Higurashi but of Higurashi Kai.

Though I also think that when Umineko gets an anime people will think "OMFG more Higurashi type shit" when they are completly different in mood and tone
You are so right about right I still get really iritated when I see people say This wont be as good as higurashi becouse it is not funny with adults going crazy and killing each other. And thats not the plot of umineko. And everyone keeps commenting on the umineko trailer vids about the lack of moe girls =_= it is the same with kai. I loved kai becouse it is the realationship between the characters I love so much
__________________
Usami_Haru is offline  
Old 2009-04-15, 11:31   Link #117
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I was very happy with how they wrapped up season two and brought everything together extremely well, but there was just so many damn sequences and episodes that wasted time. At the half way point the tension drops so dramatically I could have skipped a few episodes and still have totally understood what was going on.

Great series overall.
vedicardi is offline  
Old 2009-05-20, 14:26   Link #118
AudriSampson
Ange Ushiromiya's Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Danville IL
Age: 34
Send a message via Yahoo to AudriSampson
I preferred Kai over Ni on about all fronts. When each story of Ni came up It seemed that each story was who's going craze this time. When it came to Kai I feel like we got alot character devolepment and backstory. For me thats alot better then the blood and violence that seems to get alot of people about the first season.

I also have to give high reviews for the last arc. We finally got to see what made Takano and Satoshi tick.

It was also really nice to have Shion for the entire season
AudriSampson is offline  
Old 2009-05-20, 20:07   Link #119
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
I liked the show, but I've complained about it before and.... I just don't like the message in Kai. Not that I disagree with the message but the theme change took away a lot of the fun from the last season and I really despise ham-fisted and overwrought messages from the author told by the characters before the final battle.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-07-06, 15:02   Link #120
Yami Sonozaki
Shion's follower xD
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Europe -> Romania
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Yami Sonozaki Send a message via Yahoo to Yami Sonozaki
Honestly, like most people here, I enjoyed the first season more, in a big way thanks to Meakashi-hen. It was my favorite chapter by far (not really because all the killing, but also because of the emotional involvement). If they would have added Meakashi-hen along with the other chapter to Kai, that would have been awesome. I don't really have any complaints about the first season, except one that still haunts my mind, the Mion ladder scene. Other than that it was awesome. Of course the series wouldn't be complete without Kai answering all of the "wtf's" left from the first season. Even though the Massacre chapter in Kai was amazing, the final chapter was a little weaker than the rest. If the creators would have put Meakashi-hen and the other chapter in Kai, as some of you said it should have been, then both of them would have gotten a 10 from me.
It's the best anime I've seen so far, and I don't think it will go off my #1 spot for some time.
Also the poems, I love those damn poems <3.

As for the score:

The first season gets a clear 10 from me, despite some of the animation problems. It made me laugh a bit, but it didn't disappoint me in any way.
As for the second season, it gets a 9 because of the lack of action and emotional involvement (don't get me wrong here, there was some, but not as much as the other chapters) in the final chapter.

As for Umineko, yeah of course it will not be Higurashi 3 like some people think, since it's another game, another story, but I have high hopes for it to be at least as entertaining as Higurashi was It was made by the same people after all, it can't be bad =P.
Well I guess that's it.
__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.

Last edited by Yami Sonozaki; 2009-07-06 at 15:26.
Yami Sonozaki is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.