AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-02-11, 01:35   Link #81
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I thought I'd hate it, but I ended up liking it.

Too bad the mystery is still way too mysterious and we basically know little to nothing about the world situation.

But it did feel like the old episodic super-agent anime of the past. The insane levels of violence and sex aside, that is.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 04:37   Link #82
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
I just watched the 1st episode of this, very cool. The story appears to have supernatural elements judging by the opening sequence.
Old 2008-02-11, 05:04   Link #83
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Meh, Not very intresting.
Sex and gore, so what? We're used to it.I have seen far worse.
But I will keep watching, it's a weird project so maybe something intresting will come out of this.
Old 2008-02-11, 05:21   Link #84
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I thought I'd hate it, but I ended up liking it.

Too bad the mystery is still way too mysterious and we basically know little to nothing about the world situation.

But it did feel like the old episodic super-agent anime of the past. The insane levels of violence and sex aside, that is.

I would be very disappointed if we found out too much information in the first episode unless its setting us up for something even bigger.

And yes, it did feel retro, almost 90's level of content, and you know what? I forgot how much i missed that, been watching retro such as macross/Votom TV series and it always seems to me that the episodes take...well....LONGER then a modern episode.

It's like the modern ones seem to be missing something, these days....
Old 2008-02-11, 05:47   Link #85
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
I would be very disappointed if we found out too much information in the first episode unless its setting us up for something even bigger.
I agree...just throw me into the deep end and watch me sick, this is the way I like to see a mystery start off

And where does the "sex and gore" come from...I can see gore but the sex is limited only to your head

Harasment is another thing though

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 09:42   Link #86
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
And where does the "sex and gore" come from...I can see gore but the sex is limited only to your head
Compare the amount of blood you see in this episode, compared to another show with action.

There is your answer.
Old 2008-02-11, 10:08   Link #87
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I didnt really know about this series but i watched the first episode and i liked it. Its really hardcore which is fine with me cause i hate when they turn blood a different color. some of the scenes were just really graphic but not needlessly they were nesscary for the plot of the episode and that was ok with me. The mystery behind Rin has me very much intrigued she is just an enigma of character. She took some serious pain from those piercings and man did she where she pulled that Chain from OUCH that couldnt not have been comfortable.
Old 2008-02-11, 10:11   Link #88
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
The episode looked really dark - in some places I couldn't really tell what was going on because everything was almost black. I'm wondering if its just me, or if other ppl had this problem? This was the doremi sub.
no probs for me, tweak your monitor settings a bit
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 15:54   Link #89
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Those of you who have only heard Tanaka Rie voice characters like Chi should listen to her work in Hataraki Man where she plays an overworked 28-yo editor in a Japanese publishing house. I thought that was one of the best female VA performances in 2006.

As a couple of other posters have suggested, I suspect we'll hear from her again.
Old 2008-02-11, 16:01   Link #90
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Mnemosyne's first episode had less yuri than I expected but in other aspects it was better than expected, so I say I am quite pleased. The voice acting was stellar, evil Tanaka Rie rocks as usual while Mamiko Noto's character has a very interesting personality.

I was not really thrilled by the music though, the rock themes are rather bad, IMO.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 19:58   Link #91
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Why does it feel like it's been awhile since I watched something violent and uncensored? Meh well for that reason alone I quite enjoyed this one.

Although truthfully I was already pre-sold on the show seeing as Mamiko was voicing the lead, but it actually turned out pretty good. Being an OVA I guess is a curse and a blessing...No censorship, but only 6 episodes...Ah well.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 21:46   Link #92
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I was not really thrilled by the music though, the rock themes are rather bad, IMO.
If you're talking about the actual musical score from the series, then i see nothing at all wrong with Takayuki Negishi work. I've said it before, he captured the early 90s feel perfectly with his music, right down to the battle themes. Easily one of my fav' soundtracks so far from this year, and can not wait for the soundtrack release.

Also, anyone made any Rin avatars yet?
Old 2008-02-14, 02:07   Link #93
Omfgbbqwtf

Nice episode. I didn't really expect the piercing part though. She must be really good at enduring pain since some of the pierce are just.. painful just looking at them.
Omfgbbqwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 02:12   Link #94
vas_a_morir

That was one kinky way to torture someone.
vas_a_morir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-14, 06:41   Link #95
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
And yes, it did feel retro, almost 90's level of content, and you know what? I forgot how much i missed that, been watching retro such as macross/Votom TV series and it always seems to me that the episodes take...well....LONGER then a modern episode.
Indeed. I'm surprised no one has compared this to Ghost in the Shell yet. I've been so caught up in eroge adaptations lately that I've forgotten how much fun an old-fashioned spy story can be. Major points for nostalgia here.

It was certainly a lot less graphic than I expected (most of the shock scenes were in the trailer), but I'm pretty indifferent to all that so long as there's good story and characters to be had, though I do appreciate a good gritty atmosphere.
Everyone is talking about the plot not being much at this point, but... it's the first episode. Even for a six episode run, the first episode isn't going to deal with enough of the plot for us to get a good feel for it (FLCL), so I'm in wait-and-see mode. There was a lot of good foreshadowing with Apos (WTF was that?), the very vague implication that Sayara is still alive, and Sayara's talk of "higher-ups," meaning that this organization and operation is much larger than a single laboratory, and that creepy tree and its spores that no one but Rin seems to perceive.
The characters were interesting enough to keep me engaged - lots of little things like body language and seiyuu work came together very well and made them come to life. The concentrated production value really showed through here.

Overall, I was impressed. The first episode was solid, and it showed promise of more to come. It'll be hard waiting for the next one.
Old 2008-02-14, 06:43   Link #96
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by vas_a_morir View Post
That was one kinky way to torture someone.
Really?!

How could you tell? Being but a lowly and ignorant civilian i hazard to guess anything from this, since i don't have anything to compare to this.

your assessment and observation skills must be astounding!

Did you determined this from your long and honourable experience and expertise?

What gave it away? The nakedness of the victim? the use of body piercing in certain locations of the body?

The lack of large mutilation? the chain hanging from between her legs?

or the excitement and joy from the administrating torturer women?

i mean, to a common man like myself, i won't be able to tell the difference between a non-kinky torture or a kinky one.

I mean, don't all torture have chains between the legs and near nakedness by sexually excited female torturers? huh?

Old 2008-02-14, 08:22   Link #97
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Really?!

How could you tell? Being but a lowly and ignorant civilian i hazard to guess anything from this, since i don't have anything to compare to this.

your assessment and observation skills must be astounding!

Did you determined this from your long and honourable experience and expertise?

What gave it away? The nakedness of the victim? the use of body piercing in certain locations of the body?

The lack of large mutilation? the chain hanging from between her legs?

or the excitement and joy from the administrating torturer women?

i mean, to a common man like myself, i won't be able to tell the difference between a non-kinky torture or a kinky one.

I mean, don't all torture have chains between the legs and near nakedness by sexually excited female torturers? huh?

You are gracious with words as always Onizuka LMAO. I did myself going OHHH when the slippery chain found its way out and hit the floor. But hey she carried on like trooper just a little sore and a little more wetter than usual
Old 2008-02-15, 01:46   Link #98
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I enjoyed it more than I thought also, and in fact, it's one of the better episodes of anime I've watched this week. I'll give it 8/10 (a very high rating from me) and I'm looking forward for more. Mnemosyne strangely reminds me of Elfen Lied, with blood and gore here and there behind strong, non-romance drama with an interesting plot. There were also some comedy (though not overdone and distracting) and emotional parts as well.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 03:00   Link #99
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Elfen Lied was several times more jarring than Mnemosyne, both in the gore and humor aspects. Mnemosyne's first episode went down much smoother than Elfen Lied's.
Old 2008-02-17, 07:08   Link #100
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae View Post
Meh, Not very intresting.
Sex and gore, so what? We're used to it.I have seen far worse.
But I will keep watching, it's a weird project so maybe something intresting will come out of this.
The trick is: Don't pay attention to the "sex" and gore (not really sex... just very sexy) pay attention to the story.

Spoiler:

So far the ep left me completely excited asking questions, it was quite enjoyable, the action sequences were really well done, and the 1h length was an added bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Elfen Lied was several times more jarring than Mnemosyne, both in the gore and humor aspects. Mnemosyne's first episode went down much smoother than Elfen Lied's.
I think elfin lied got such a different 'jarring' effect off the bat cuz the main 'flow' of anime hadn't really seen anything on it's scale of visual. I mean sure the blood & gore had been done in countless samurai/ninja animes, and shows like Ninja Scroll had enough "WTF" factor to prepare you, but elfin lied came in with such a different premisce, this wasn't an 'action' anime per-say, we see a pink haired girl, we dont expect her to slaughter people, sever arms, etc...

Mnemosyne probably felt a little less jarring because the gore/sexual tone fit the stereotype.

For one, the ep is presented in a dark atmosphere, sets the right stage for this genre, given we're talking incredibly hot women shooting, stabbing, piercing, maiming, pinching, torturing, etc... but i feel the setting for the show probably helped ease us into the show instead of leaving us with a look on our face.

That said, I give Mnemosyne 10/10, it's got my vote and ill definately be anticipating the next episode.

Additional Note: Mnemosyne presented me with some of the hardest work i've done in anime subbing... it was an exillerating challenge.
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
at-x, ecchi, mature