AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

View Poll Results: Best Anime Score of 2007
5 Centimeters per Second 40 24.69%
Dennou Coil 12 7.41%
ef - A Tale of Memories 56 34.57%
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight 10 6.17%
Oh! Edo Rocket 6 3.70%
Seirei no Moribito 43 26.54%
sola 23 14.20%
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann 50 30.86%
Touka Gettan 6 3.70%
Toward the Terra 12 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-04-03, 14:29   Link #41
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is out of the question because film "score" doesn't really fit with rap. :< . have you heard John Williams, James Horner, Alan Silvestri, Howard Shore, James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman, Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams, Ennio Morricone, Trevor Rabin, etc use rap in their score? . It is suck that this one has some beautiful operatic tune =( that was ruined by excessive rap.

5 Centimeters per Second is good because I like Omoide wa Tooku no Hibi theme and Kiss. The rest of the track is beautiful piano tune too.

Terra He - Toward the Terra - EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC!! OPERATIC EPIC! OPERATIC CHORUS! Omgz0r orgasm !!

Aoi Hoshi from 1:47
Shiroki Kuuro
Hatenaki Kouya
Kanata he - Opera choruss! YES YES~!
Nureta Tsubasa - Opera hymn ?
Fishis and Kanmuri wo Idaku Mono - more hymn stuff!!! very similar to vangelis style!!

pure awesome

still need to listen to the rest before I can vote :<
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 15:22   Link #42
Moonbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz View Post
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann is out of the question because film "score" doesn't really fit with rap. :< . have you heard John Williams, James Horner, Alan Silvestri, Howard Shore, James Newton Howard, Thomas Newman, Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams, Ennio Morricone, Trevor Rabin, etc use rap in their score? . It is suck that this one has some beautiful operatic tune =( that was ruined by excessive rap.
Just because big names from a certain genre don't utilize methods from other genres doesn't make them superior or a standard of what is good or bad. While I agree that Libera Me From Hell would have been a much better song without the Engrish rap, it can be done right.

This is, of course, subjective. I think the message of Libera suits the soundtrack entirely but the delivery (specifically the Engrish, not the rap) kills it.

Last edited by Moonbase; 2008-04-03 at 16:52.
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 16:33   Link #43
Z3120

About "Libera me from Hell" specifically, it could have been one of the most memorable beats I've ever heard from an anime in my lifetime, truth be told, but the rap really obscures how amazing the composition could have been especially how redundant the lyrics appear at the second half of the song. I would have been more amazed at where the song could have been taken instrumentally rather than the vocals doing most of the heavy lifting, carrying the song throughout and even dragging the pace down. You'd be pretty surprised how devastated I was to find out how the whole song was after I sampled what I absorbed from episode 27 (imagine me looping that piece in episode 27 because I did something similar to Art du sabre from Shakugan no Shana 2 ).

Without a done, the Engrish or rap could have been done much better and worked, but sadly, it wasn't imo.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 23:35   Link #44
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Taking back Gurren Lagann and replacing it with Gundam 00 now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 00:01   Link #45
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Send a message via MSN to Fynal_Fyre
5 cm/s and TTGL

(Although yes, "Libera Me" from Hell, was kinda ruined by the rap beats, I still think it somehow fits though, I mean, this isn't Star Wars or LoTR, and doesn't require Howard Shore's or John William's touch.)

It's not sad anymore| Insanity and rants

Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 19:09   Link #46
deltakano
1つの愛

Why in the world isn't Nodame Cantabile up there?
deltakano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 06:34   Link #47
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...57#post1283257

I made an executive decision. I didn't hear any objections at the time.
Old 2008-04-12, 09:57   Link #48
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...57#post1283257

I made an executive decision. I didn't hear any objections at the time.
Maybe the next one can be called "Best Original Anime Score" instead, in order to avoid exactly that kind of situation? Though I just admit it is pretty rare.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 00:56   Link #49
Moonbase

Preemptive vote for Soul Eater as Best of 2008.

(I know it's waaay too early to say such things, and even in the wrong thread! Still, I love the music so far.)
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 04:44   Link #50
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

Well, I suppose you could add Hajime Kikuchi's true tears OST to that preemptive list, if it exists.
Rasqual Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 09:01   Link #51
Kai Yukari

Try to listen to the OST of "Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto" I loved the scores for the battles and the ED song. Its easily one of the best soundtracks for 2007. But since it's not included in the poll above, I voted Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.
Kai Yukari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 14:59   Link #52
Gotank
Evil Chewy Thing

EF not winning is blasphemy. Did anyone who didn't vote for EF actually listen to the stuff Tenmon wrote? Not only are the pieces great as standalone music, but the they're also extremely well timed and choreographed (check out 'Countdown', for example, where the ups and downs of the melody flows perfectly with the conversation on screen).

Working on a big project!
Gotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-01, 02:47   Link #53
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

^ Truth.

While I can understand why Gurren Lagann's soundtrack would be so highly rated (pieces were original and rather atypical, it was able to fit a myriad of situations, it was able to invoke a variety of emotions, and come on, who doesn't like "ROW ROW, FIGHT DA POWA!"), Tenmon's work with ef was all that and much more. Well, without the rowing and power-fighting.