AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-11-16, 20:53   Link #5261
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Although US tries to maintain social christian values, it is completely ill-tolerant to others. (Censorship on manga is one of them)
"censorship on manga"

It's unfortunate that they get censored not becayse of the government mandate, but because the fear of publishers getting sued. They have no choice byt to self-censor. Heck man USA is the litigation capital of the world!

Last edited by mg1942; 2008-11-16 at 21:17.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 21:07   Link #5262
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Demographics shape culture,a nd the situation in America is changing. America is now becoming less of a WASP nation. Change will come.
That makes California the new bellwether of USA (trend-setter) demographics.

And that's no good news for people trying to push gay marriage rights. New generations of immigrants will continue to fill the whole Southwest USA with solid conservative values.
Old 2008-11-16, 21:13   Link #5263
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post

And that's no good news for people trying to push gay marriage rights. New generations of immigrants will continue to fill the whole Southwest USA with solid conservative values.
I don't know about this. It's all too easy to deem culture as static, where it actually evolves rather rapidly. Sometimes, it's obvious. In other times, not so. Which group of people would change the minds?

One iron rule I firmly believe in is that to effect change, a price has to be paid. The status quo is usually attractive for a whole array of reasons. The price paid can be in any form, and those seeking change should ask themselves whether they are ready to pay the price. Probably more importantly (especially in the case of being a minority), they had to ask themselves whether the majority was as ready as they were.
Old 2008-11-16, 23:49   Link #5264
Shadow Kira01

Quote:

Not necessarily true. From what I see, there are various forms of mass-movements in immigration dependent nations. At times, these groups of people would go as far as forcing the government to dish out fundings over the threat of bilateral ties. At other times, it's not about the fundings, but the direction of the government itself in the global political perspective. However, democratic nations cannot do much about it, because it goes against the rule of democracy to begin with. And I believe, the US fall under such a category.
Old 2008-11-17, 02:10   Link #5265
Aquillion

Quote:
"censorship on manga"

It's unfortunate that they get censored not becayse of the government mandate, but because the fear of publishers getting sued. They have no choice byt to self-censor. Heck man USA is the litigation capital of the world!
It's not fear of getting sued. It's so they can sell to the broadest possible audience; they're afraid of getting blacklisted by advertisers, or boycotted by more conservative readers.

Most of the self-censorship in the US just comes down to capitalism in action; the fewer people you offend, the broader your audience, and the more advertising you can place (or collect).

Quote:

I disagree. The vote was very close, and in the end the decisive factor was the massive difference in spending from the Mormon church. Those are the values that are declining.

The people pushing for gay rights aren't going to give up; assuming it isn't simply overturned by the courts, they'll put a motion to overturn it on the ballot again in 2010, and 2012, and however many times it takes. The Mormon Church can't afford to buy a new election every year (and if they do devote that much money for it, well, at least that's money they can't spend doing damage someplace else.)

On top of that, if you look at the actual trends in polling, it's much more straightforward; most of the people who oppose gay rights are very, very old, and gay marriage does better in polling with every decade. That's why conservatives are so frantic to have all these ballot initiatives right now -- they know that in ten years, there's no way they'd be able to win them in most of the more moderate states, and in twenty to thirty years they won't be able to hold even the more conservative ones.

There's a lot of variation, of course, but most of the opposition to gay rights is from old people who were raised to think it's icky. There are fewer and fewer people being raised that way every year; without them, there's not enough votes to hold the line on issues like this. They won't fade away completely, but the culture wars are a product of the 60's, and the forces that sustained them will die with the boomers... when you have the generation you see on this board in charge of the country, gay marriage is going to be legal nationwide.

Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-11-17 at 02:27.
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 06:38   Link #5266
solomon

Maybe not legal nationwide, I don't think it is legal in many states as of now. Plus those old fogeys still are raising kids so they will prolly take up the fight as well.

Still I do think that over time the issue will moderate at least to the point that civil unions will be allowed across the board.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 17:18   Link #5267
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Maybe not legal nationwide, I don't think it is legal in many states as of now. Plus those old fogeys still are raising kids so they will prolly take up the fight as well.
First time voters voted "No" to Proposition 8 by something like a 62 to 38 margin, so I don't think that this is much of a concern. It's probably only a matter of time until homosexual marriage is as accepted as interracial marriage is. Remember that the latter was still illegal in many states when Obama was born.
Old 2008-11-18, 01:15   Link #5268
alyxenace
♫Wings of Fallen Angel♫

Send a message via AIM to alyxenace Send a message via MSN to alyxenace
It'll definitely be funny if Obama supports anime... o.O
Old 2008-11-18, 01:39   Link #5269
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Well, Hawaii does have a sizable Japanese population...

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 02:00   Link #5270
mg1942

lol is this for real?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIZ_5d6ylZM
Old 2008-11-18, 04:06   Link #5271
solomon

Holy crap, yatterman was really quick on the draw there. For that matter, this is the first time i've ever seen an anime make parody type references to current events CURRENTLY happening.
Old 2008-11-18, 09:43   Link #5272
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Oh that was gawd damned FUNNY.... and much more entertaining than the real thing. The voicing of Obama and Hi-ra-ri was sidesplitting. almost had me wheezing. I want to say they used the kanji for the town of Obama, Japan on his banner but I'm not sure.

And the Bill Clinton cameo and her reaction to him was "soooo wrong" in a funny way

And just to remind people of one reason the other candidate derailed in the November election:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEtZl...eature=related (McCain's Nightmare is the Record itself, youtube just helped).

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-11-18 at 10:16.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 13:57   Link #5273
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I want to say they used the kanji for the town of Obama, Japan on his banner but I'm not sure.
Indeed, they did: 小浜 . I'm a bit surprised that they'd use kanji for a foreign name, even if it is sounds the same.

Old 2008-11-18, 16:09   Link #5274
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Indeed, they did: 小浜 . I'm a bit surprised that they'd use kanji for a foreign name, even if it is sounds the same.
Some of the Student's signs had the katakana spelling of Obama.

That being said, Obama is big in Japan. From the mayor of the coast/bay city of Obama (located in the Fukui Prefecture) sending correspondance to Obama, (yes you mentioned this, but you forgot to mention that the town is going to erect a monument to him and the Kenyan ambassador in Japan even hinted at helping to build an airport in Obama just so Obama could visit the region ) To the now famous Japanese Obama impersonator. For whatever reason, Japan loves Obama.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 16:38   Link #5275
solomon

Really thats just the Japanese novelty of something uniquely american, primarily. I don't think they hold it in the same regard as africans, middle easterners or even europeans.
Old 2008-11-18, 16:48   Link #5276
Theowne
耳をすませば

I'm not sure I agree that Japan as a whole is crazy about Obama. All the news stories talk mainly about this town that shares his name, and there's probably an element of publicity-seeking in that regard. Maybe I'm just a natural skeptic.

Old 2008-11-18, 17:36   Link #5277
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Laying bets that Obama, Japan fashions a festival based on our prez-elect to bring in the visitors...
Old 2008-11-18, 20:04   Link #5278
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Did anyone manage to find out who voiced "Hillary"? I think "Obama" was voiced by Takeda Hana.
Old 2008-11-18, 20:04   Link #5279
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I'm not sure I agree that Japan as a whole is crazy about Obama. All the news stories talk mainly about this town that shares his name, and there's probably an element of publicity-seeking in that regard. Maybe I'm just a natural skeptic.
Aside from the fact that Obama is widely viewed as a sensible man, the Obama Administration have yet to do something that mutually benefits the Japan-US bilateral relation. Hopefully, the Obama Administration would put some thought into the relocation of the Okinawa marine base over to Guam and not demanding more fundings. Currently, there is a delay in the Futenma relocation plan because the US is still not satisfied with Japan paying 60+ percent of the expenses and costs. Aside from this issue, the Obama Administration should also do something about the current global recession fears and slumping global financial markets.
Old 2008-11-18, 23:20   Link #5280
Luminisk

Ted Stevens looses the Alaskan senatorial race.
2 more seats still up in the air; Al Franken position is looking pretty good.

Luminisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate, elections, news, politics, united_states