AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-15, 16:51   Link #21
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I want to thank all of you who talked up this show here and led me to take a look. Good stuff. I should have known Noitamina wouldn't give us a kids' show.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 18:21   Link #22
Cyprene

It's not a question of doing them, it's a question of is it possible to do it in a way that doesn't muck up the whole retro aspect of the OP.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 07:31   Link #23
wao
OK.

Okay, so I watched the first episode just now. It was good - and I again like how it's not like the typical anime. That's the thing with a number of Noitamina shows; since they're aimed at a relatively non-otaku crowd they must make sure they incorporate other aesthetics and things that they can relate to, not just the typical anime direction or story (I'm still forgetting Juuousei ever happened). That's the impression I get, though...

But while it certainly was far from watchable I think I'd still say it's not impressed me yet - the only thing I really liked was the OP. I suppose it's my fault for being unable to resist the comparison, but even stylistically it generally felt a bit like an empty shell of Mononoke. There were lots of lovely colours and I love the background art, but a lot of parts felt unconvincing - okay, so this is supposed to be an old-skool horror adaptation and making people look genuinely scared might not be the point, but I can't help wishing I could feel more for the characters.

The most gripping part of the episode was when the mother's hair turned white and she started babbling in front of the police officer. I kinda wish there was more of that; I mean a Medama Oyaji is pretty funky too but somehow I felt completely indifferent when he appeared. I haven't even read the original manga or watched the other adaptations (perhaps this is why?)

But I'm probably being way too harsh on what's just a first episode and I'm sure I'd like to watch more of it. It's nice to see a real nasty kid for once, and it pretty much beats anything this season anyway... (and SeijiSensei, you're right, I prefer this to Rocket, I think )
Old 2008-01-18, 00:45   Link #24
gianna
gigi

Very good!
Nezumi Otoko makes his appearance He's such a shit but you love to see his character
This episode was pretty rough - to see the characters act as they do to help themselves

And jeez I'm slow -- Just realized that besides the ED she also voices the character Neko (episode four)
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 13:16   Link #25
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Screenshot for episode 2:

I'm so addicted to the opening song, Mononoke Dance. Another cool episode. This time it's about Kitarou and his financial needs and how he is going to acquire some money. Love it!

I'm also strating to find that creepy walking eye identified as Kitarou's dad cute. The similarities between the words creepy and cute is that they both start with the letter C. I had nothing.

Last edited by monir; 2008-01-21 at 16:06. Reason: checked and rechecked.. and then to make sure, checked one more time ^^
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 18:48   Link #26
Snoop'

@monir : For some reason, all your screenshots are upside-down...

Anyway, just watched ep.2. "Yasha vs Dracula IV", how is that a title ?
Kitarou is the nastiest kid I've ever seen. And yet he is a child with some naive aspects... I wouldn't want him anywhere near me, but he is so evil - and cute. The last minute of the episode was lovely (yeah money -> kekekeke stfu -> ouch -> omg wtf ?).
I also like the effect they put on the yellow glowing part of the chanko.

BTW, am I the only one who feels that the ED is totally shallow and out of place ?

Last edited by Snoop'; 2008-01-21 at 03:34.
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-20, 19:04   Link #27
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Ooops! Fixed.
Old 2008-01-20, 20:56   Link #28
solomon

Holy Crap that was the first time in years a tv episode completely entranced me from start to finish.

Wow, I wanna find Shigeru Mizuki's manga now. Toei did a great job with the graphics and design and I love Masako Nozawa as Kitarou.

It's been a while for a Noitamaina show to get me like this (they all have been good but Ive been so busy I still have to catch up with Mononoke and Moyashimon) Instant Keep!
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-21, 03:28   Link #29
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop' View Post
BTW, am I the only one who feels that the ED is totally shallow and out of place ?
No - we don't need no boring Shokotan songs in this anime, dammit. I can understand people bashing the OP as well since it doesn't seem to fit into the show and seems rather pathetic, but I guess I like it somewhat (it helps that the OP animation is nice). The ED is just completely forgettable though. Especially when you consider the lyrics.

And monir, now your screenshots are flipped the wrong way around The white text should be on the upper left corner, not the upper right. Speaking of which, why have they decided to add it here and there? Maybe so that any casual viewer flipping channels might recognize "animation of the original Kitaro!1!" and linger... or perhaps to provide a bit more incentive for getting the dvd version (no text!)?
Old 2008-01-21, 09:48   Link #30
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Darn it.. well, I'll have to try again in few hours. To be on the subject of the OP song, the song is definitely unexpected considering the show's atmosphere but it is very good in my opinion. I must have listened to it trillion times already. When Kitaro taps his foot on the funky beat..... just love it.

edit: Fixed for the 2nd time.

Last edited by monir; 2008-01-21 at 16:06.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 19:19   Link #31
wao
OK.

Wow! So now I know who did the excellent OP animation thanks to Ben of AniPages Daily pointing out an interview with the colour designer - here it is on Web ANime Style http://www.style.fm/as/05_column/tsujita39.shtml

The OP was storyboarded and directed by Kenji Nakamura (Mononoke's director), the drawings were all by Takashi Hashimoto (Mononoke's character designer), the BG art was by a studio called Magic House and the digital composition (including 3D I presume) was by Tatsunoko Pro's team (the dudes who made Karas).

From the creation of storyboards to finishing the composite process it took only 1 week to do the OP! I am absolutely bowled over. Hashimoto took 4 days to draw all the drawings and while he did that they started colouring it (3 days) and the composite took only 2. The colour designer says "The reason why it was such a short-term battle is a secret! (bitter laugh)" so I'm suspecting some kind of production pressure or last-minute change or something.

Also it appears that the first episode garnered 4.8% viewer ratings and 4.9% for the second episode, which is making the producers and the director very happy. Meanwhile the colour designer is just very very happy to have worked with Nakamura because he has wanted to for a long time.

Oh btw the colour designer's name is Kunio Tsujita, I'm very sure he had a penname he used when working with other companies but I can't remember it.
Old 2008-01-22, 23:46   Link #32
Cyprene

It only took a week because 90% of the images are only small modifications to drawings from the original manga.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 21:00   Link #33
Unnilhexium

Great news, Shinsen-Subs subbed the first
episode of Hakaba Kitarou.
Unnilhexium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 05:39   Link #34
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
It only took a week because 90% of the images are only small modifications to drawings from the original manga.
That, and there wasn't much in the way of actual animation. Just a LOT of stills. Not exactly 'animation' in my book but anyway..

Man, that first ep was AMAZING. The story is old-book Kitarou (actually I liked the recent remake a lot too) but the visuals just jumps out at you. Including the western Comic-book styling of the whole thing. It's just incredible. This stuff rivals Gurren Lagann in terms of animation for me.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 08:45   Link #35
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Great first episode, it was really fast paced though it also reminded me off Kosetsu Hyaku Monogatari visually speaking (although I suppose that should be the other way around considering Kitarou manga is a lot older)

I'll definitely keep watching this one, and thanks for Shinsen for subbing this.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 10:06   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have two questions about the first episode.

First, when Kitaro appears he has both eyes. What happened to the left one? I looked carefully to see if it was hidden under his hair, but it doesn't seem to be there at all.

Second, why does Kitaro's stepfather have a forked tongue in the scene where he follows Kitaro out into the night?

Old 2008-01-24, 11:31   Link #37
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I have two questions about the first episode.

First, when Kitaro appears he has both eyes. What happened to the left one? I looked carefully to see if it was hidden under his hair, but it doesn't seem to be there at all.

Second, why does Kitaro's stepfather have a forked tongue in the scene where he follows Kitaro out into the night?

1. He lost his eye on the corner on one of those gravestones when the detective pushed him away as baby. Later you can see the blood on it when the detective is searching for him.

2. That's no tongue its a plant of some sort ^^
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 15:57   Link #38
Lintendo

Finally a good anime this season.
First episode was great
Lintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 16:18   Link #39
plzd0ntkeelme
self-proclaimed otaku

First ep is great. It's more artistic than most series that come out recently. Rather than trying to move the audience through shocking or tear-jerking moments, it simply tell a story which is wonderful and creepy at the same time.
plzd0ntkeelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 17:11   Link #40
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
2. That's no tongue its a plant of some sort ^^
I asked because it looked a lot like Kitaro's mommy's tongue when she was eating those frog eyeballs:

Tags
comedy, horror, noitamina, shounen, supernatural, wierd