AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2009-12-04, 14:50   Link #20301
Kurush

Send a message via MSN to Kurush Send a message via Skype™ to Kurush
I can't honestly believe I've been gone for a hundred pages.

I tell the truth when I say that the Internet connection has gone off the table called world and into God's pint of beer. Some cock-up in the administration says that we hadn't paid our bills and therefore disconnected us and they said it would take a month.

Thing is, it's been a month soon and no sign. We've had to install a temporary modem and a router which doesn't go fairly between all four of our computers. It's due to this thing that I'm back... for now.

Good thing is, I've been writing. If you recall, I posted a small snap shot scene of a story I'm working on at the moment. No one gave remarks, so here it is again, in full. In fact, the whole chapter is there.

Spoiler for PotM chapter 24:

If you want the full story, then you might as well try and read the full story. Otherwise, your loss. And in case you're wondering, yes, I did put her in a Tactical Dreadnought Armor from 40k.

I might as well give you the profile on that device that she has in the end.

Spoiler for New Device:

Edit: Page claim for new Device made!
Kurush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 15:17   Link #20302
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo
#2. Old relics can be worth a lot of money, too, so certain rich individuals may buy them off archeologists for decent sums of money, or finance trips in the hopes of getting rare, valuable goods.
WTF!!!!!!

That is SOOOO against our Code of Ethics. You must be thinking about Indiana Jones or about the 1700 and 1800's Archaeology...

So...no. But we do get sponsors from Organizations to PROTECT the Archaeological sites. If we did what you just said, we would no longer BE Archaeologists; we would become thieves...like Indiana Jones.
There doesn't have to be an element of thievery around it at all. Rich people get bored, and many are into art. It's a status symbol to have a rare piece that no one does. Or they like creating their own personal museum and showing off rare pieces. In this light, it's not unusual for them to look for archeologists with promising research or digs, and hire them.

Sort of a "I'll pay for all expenses, and don't worry about the artifacts, because I'll be displaying them in a museum with your name as the discoverer, even though legally they'll belong to me."

Of course, there will always be those who traffic in less-than-legal means, but Im just throwing this out as one method that is used. There are unscrupulous people out there.

Anyways, it's not entirely clear about the Scrya clan and their reasons, although Chrono said something about Yuuno not having the backing of a Scrya clan member when he was made librarian in the manga, so apparently the Scrya clan name does have some weight.

It's one of the things I'm gonna address in a future fic; got it plotted out for my "Red Jewel Diaries" series.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 15:35   Link #20303
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's more that archaeologists dig up ancient relics to discover more about the civilization to which those relics belong, not for monetary gain. When a relic is discovered, it is generally studied extensively for a long period of time (the more unique the relic, the longer it is studied) and if memory serves, the majority don't even end up in musea at all, instead spending time in storage only to be brought out for more research.

To sell a relic merely to make money would go against an archaeologists goal of searching for these relics in the first place. They do their work to discover more about civilizations, not to find valuable objects. An archaeologist would find a tablet describing a previously undiscovered way of living for a society to be infinitely more valuable than a golden cup.

Or so I believe to recall. I can have a bit of a romantic vision when it comes to archeology.
Old 2009-12-04, 15:44   Link #20304
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Whoa...looks like when I intended to put down a small land mine I misread the label and put a nuke. hehe. I will make the possible corrections, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I am still trying to get a firm grasp on your language even though I am supposed to be teaching it XD. Sorry guys I normally post those chapters here at like 2-3am so I am often times missing lots of thigns...even going so far as putting down what I am thinking at the current moment (I do catch most of them though) so please dont be surprised if all of a sudden you see a random sentence going like "Hmm maybe I should have friend rice for my bento today...." or something crazy like that ^.^;;

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 16:09   Link #20305
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Why do you stay up so late? Go to sleep, it helps you think better! <--- *hypocrite who has stayed up until 5:45 AM writing*
Old 2009-12-04, 16:18   Link #20306
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
It's more that archaeologists dig up ancient relics to discover more about the civilization to which those relics belong, not for monetary gain. When a relic is discovered, it is generally studied extensively for a long period of time (the more unique the relic, the longer it is studied) and if memory serves, the majority don't even end up in musea at all, instead spending time in storage only to be brought out for more research.

To sell a relic merely to make money would go against an archaeologists goal of searching for these relics in the first place. They do their work to discover more about civilizations, not to find valuable objects. An archaeologist would find a tablet describing a previously undiscovered way of living for a society to be infinitely more valuable than a golden cup.

Or so I believe to recall. I can have a bit of a romantic vision when it comes to archeology.
Yeah, but you asked how they would make money. If they aren't attached to a university or a major organization, they would be privately funded by rich people. They'd still get to study pieces, and perhaps be allowed to donate some. But rich people would want a return on their investment. It doesn't have to be shady or bad at all.

Think along the lines of an independent contractor.

If you're familiar with Stargate, Daniel Jackson was an archeologist. But people didn't want to believe his theories, so he had problems making ends meet financially.
Old 2009-12-04, 18:26   Link #20307
Thunderbird
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Why do you stay up so late? Go to sleep, it helps you think better! <--- *hypocrite who has stayed up until 5:45 AM writing*
I dont know...i guess my "writing mode" is best at those hours? XD

Old 2009-12-04, 19:00   Link #20308
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
A lot of people expect stuff like this from dubs, but that mindset is very outdated. Yes, 4kids and Nelvana did change names for Tokyo Mew Mew and 'Cardcaptors' but that was for the sake of airing it on TV and making it more american kid friendly. Nanoha got picked up by Geneon, a company who has never heavily altered the source material before, so there was no reason to believe they'd change it. Then it fell to Funimation's hands, but that company has come a loooong way from the days of crappy DBZ dubs.

The only 'injustice' they kinda did to the series is casting rookies from Voice Acting Alliance rather than hiring seasoned professionals. But that's actually a great part of the dub, as there's no "Oh look, it's that voice again" reactions, and the rookies all did a great job.

Anyways, I like dubs and generally prefer watching them over the japanese version. So the english performances do influence how I write certain characters.
The mindset is more than outdated, it's just plain wrong and reeks of ignorance . I've never heard of an anime that went directly to DVD that was edited.

Though, while I am a giant dub fan I admit to fully hating the MGLN dub, mostly for a poor and inconsistent script but also for a couple of performances. But I blame time and sudden trading of hands for that more than anything.

@Kaijo, I think the biggest difference seems to be real archeologists vs Fictitious ones. For real archeology info I do believe Alavon would know best.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 22:00   Link #20309
OZ7UP
Reckless Rock'N'Roll
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I'd read it because I like your writing, even if I don't always know the source material.
Thanks RB! It means a lot to me each and every time when someone compliments me, a non-writer by default, on my writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
Not to mention the Nanoha Corner. Taking "flying off the track" to a whole new level.
On the Top Gear test track? I approve.

Quote:
So... Hayate = Jezza; Signum = Captain Slow; and Vita = Hamster?
Sounds about right.

Right then, I'm going to attempt the "Signum vs the TSAB Ground Forces car park" segment...

Spoiler for Top Gear goodness featuring Signum:

Yeah. Looks like I'll need to watch even more Top Gear.

Lusting after, and highly likely to have a chance with if they were real: Alexandra Garcia (Kuroko no Basket), MAGES. (Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory), Mayumi Kisaki (The Devil is a Part-Timer!), Kirishima (Arpeggio of Blue Steel), Yukari Miyako (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun), Salama (Amagi Brilliant Park), and Kongou (Kantai Collection).

Last edited by OZ7UP; 2009-12-05 at 04:11.
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 22:22   Link #20310
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Though, while I am a giant dub fan I admit to fully hating the MGLN dub, mostly for a poor and inconsistent script but also for a couple of performances. But I blame time and sudden trading of hands for that more than anything.
Huh? Really?

I liked the English Dub. The only thing I found that annoyed me was Nanoha's voice, but considering she's NINE YEARS OLD, it makes sense.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 23:07   Link #20311
Thunderbird
*Author

Ok Raiser, RadiantBeam, and whoever else is following this, here is the erm next installment I hope you guys dont get TOO mad about this one Btw i still need a title for this random story

Spoiler for Next part:

Last edited by Thunderbird; 2010-02-01 at 19:29. Reason: Because I'm awsome
Old 2009-12-04, 23:38   Link #20312
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
I liked that.

Normal overblown reactions FTW!

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 23:47   Link #20313
Tabasco

No kidding, the best thing you can say about that situation is that Nanoha didn't literally light Fate up like a supernova.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 23:52   Link #20314
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
@Kaijo, I think the biggest difference seems to be real archeologists vs Fictitious ones. For real archeology info I do believe Alavon would know best.
Alright, don't take my word for it:
http://www.rockymountainindependent....ds-of-history/

Pierantoni, French and crew chief Huizinga are part of an archaeological crew recording a historic Anasazi relic site located along a path planned for energy exploration, somewhere in a sun-baked piņon forest near the Colorado-New Mexico border. They represent no university. They are collecting for no museum. They are paid by an independent company and are archaeologists for hire.

Truth is, the vast majority of archaeologists working in the U.S. are in the private sector.
Call them consulting archaeologists, contract archaeologists, cultural resource management (CRM) consultants or, as they often call themselves, just plain “shovel bums.”

I can dig up more links for ya, if ya want.

Edit: Actually, I wanna toss this up there for those who are curious (as I learned a few things, too): http://www.imacdigest.com/shipwrek.html

Some excerpts: Archaeology as a "science" was born out of the older occupation of Antiquarianism, which was spurred on in the late 18th century by the Napoleanic conquests of Egypt and the subsequent expansions of Western civilization during the age of imperialism into areas of ancient and exotic cultures. Many "objects" of these cultures became desirable as art (as in the Elgin marbles) and as curiosities (as in mummies from Egypt). This was considered for many years a legitimate occupation and many early archaeological observations and material come to us from this period.

During this time period colleges and universities began sending out expeditions staffed with students. This was at first met with a great deal of skepticism from the "real" archaeologists who worked in the institutions. So those universities and colleges had to show that they too were "legitimate" and added stricter protocols for the assessments of data collected at archaeological sites.

The truth is, by hiring professional archaeologists the private sector is just as competent as the universities to conduct archaeological investigations, sometimes more so. This is due to the high cost of explorations -- something that the public sector is increasingly unwilling and unable to support. The deep seas are now increasingly open to the private sector because of the new technologies available.

It's interesting to see where Archaeology came from, and that Universities actually had to fight to prove they were legitimate once. But the end result is that the private sector is actually the major source of archaeology today. And here I thought it was just a small part. I guess I learn something new every day.
Old 2009-12-04, 23:52   Link #20315
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
Ok Raiser, RadiantBeam, and whoever else is following this, here is the erm next installment I hope you guys dont get TOO mad about this one Btw i still need a title for this random story

Spoiler for Next part:
... Well, to say that went badly would be a massive understatement of epic proportions.
Old 2009-12-04, 23:55   Link #20316
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:

Spoiler for Next part:
For a title, how about something like "The Third Option"? The first two options being NanoFate and Yuunoha, of course.

Good stuff, you can really feel the tension. Though I think comfort sex is taking it a tad bit far, but well, you know me.

Though it's possible I'm just headdesking because now this is the 2nd person to beat me to that. I really gotta get working on that next installment of Remembrance.

EDIT: Oh, and since you're usuing the suffixes on the names, I'm just nit picking but Hayate calls Yuuno "Yuuno-kun."
Old 2009-12-05, 00:42   Link #20317
Nijiru

Quote:

Spoiler for Next part:
Ahhh, the bliss of being in a relationship.
Old 2009-12-05, 00:50   Link #20318
SulliMike23
Soldier of Nod

Send a message via AIM to SulliMike23 Send a message via MSN to SulliMike23 Send a message via Yahoo to SulliMike23 Send a message via Skype™ to SulliMike23
You know, since the holidays are coming up I think it's time we began some Holiday fics don't you think?
SulliMike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 00:51   Link #20319
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

We still have about two more weeks until the holidays, don't rush it.
Old 2009-12-05, 01:09   Link #20320
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulliMike23 View Post
You know, since the holidays are coming up I think it's time we began some Holiday fics don't you think?
I have a few, but no one would want to read them. Silly OCs.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha