AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2010-09-09, 14:24   Link #26901
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
... I'm assuming the answer you're looking for is not 'procrastinate for a month and then force yourself to write it'.

Write a brief outline and try to fill it in later? Maybe if there's a work of some sort that captures the general feeling you're trying to get, read/watch it again. I don't know, the problem you've described is one that strikes me very often and I've had limited success dealing with it.

Which reminds me, I've been procrastinating on 'Center Ring' for a month... *sigh*
Hey, while I've got the juices flowing, I might as well hammer it all out while I want to and not a month later when I hate to force myself to write it.

Hm... I'll have to consider that. I've never done especially well with outlines, if only because I set them up, then end up deviating from them wildly and getting a product that is completely different from what I originally set out for. Still, though, it might help as a general idea of what can work and what can't. Thanks!

Ah, yes, well. It's not like you have legions of fans waiting who have muscular men at their beck and call. *shot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Start somewhere and just go. I generally only toss out about 50% of what gets written this way (less during Nanowrimo, where I learned this strategy). Try to nudge it in the proper direction, and don't be surprised if it doesn't go there.
That's always been my method, I have to say. But since you said it as well, it must mean I'm doing something right. Thank you!
Old 2010-09-09, 14:59   Link #26902
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Hey, while I've got the juices flowing, I might as well hammer it all out while I want to and not a month later when I hate to force myself to write it.

Hm... I'll have to consider that. I've never done especially well with outlines, if only because I set them up, then end up deviating from them wildly and getting a product that is completely different from what I originally set out for. Still, though, it might help as a general idea of what can work and what can't. Thanks!

Ah, yes, well. It's not like you have legions of fans waiting who have muscular men at their beck and call. *shot*
Yeah, personally I've never done well with outlines either. They seem to work for other people though, and if nothing else they get ya thinking.

I think I'm safe. They know that if the hired goons hurt me too bad, I'll get brain damage and I won't be funny no more.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 15:04   Link #26903
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
So, just a question for the FFT in general: when you have a chapter to write and, like, the basics in your head of what you want to happen but don't know how to actually word it, would do you usually do so it comes easier?

I ask because chapter 3 of LDG is giving me fits. I have some idea of what I want to happen between Vivio and Lutecia, but nothing very concrete yet.
Go take a shower . I find that solves more than half of my wording issues in fanfiction--and no one looks at you too weirdly when you whisper dialogue or ideas to yourself, since, well, I'm assuming you're alone in there....

I also try taking a walk somewhere (say, downstairs for food if I'm at home). Food is a nice bonus if I still end up stuck .

A last resort for me is to do as spawnofthejudge suggested, just start writing and hope it goes somewhere. Or I set up a challenge for myself and switch POVs from what I was expecting, or do something else that might shake things loose and get the writing flowing ^^.
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 15:05   Link #26904
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
You're lucky, I can barely go a week before people start PMing/emailing me asking for another update.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 15:07   Link #26905
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Go take a shower . I find that solves more than half of my wording issues in fanfiction--and no one looks at you too weirdly when you whisper dialogue or ideas to yourself, since, well, I'm assuming you're alone in there....
I must say, I've found that most of my ideas come to me while I'm riding the bus to class. No clue why, as they're usually crowded and noisy... yet there I go and sit on them and BAM, ideas start to flow.
Old 2010-09-09, 15:39   Link #26906
SNobleJr
\m/,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Hey guys...

I think this is something that you might like...

Day in the Life

Chapter 39

Recovery

Spoiler for Day 39:
Spoiler for Comments:
Old 2010-09-09, 15:58   Link #26907
vic-vic

Quote:
Hey guys...

I think this is something that you might like...

Day in the Life

Chapter 39

Recovery

Spoiler for Day 39:
Battle is over. But war is far from end.

Good chapter overall.
vic-vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 17:56   Link #26908
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
You're lucky, I can barely go a week before people start PMing/emailing me asking for another update.
Quote:
You know... I've never really had anyone pester me to update a story, except for the sort of good-natured 'update soon!' that reviewers always leave. Is that really a common problem for people?
Old 2010-09-09, 18:06   Link #26909
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
You know... I've never really had anyone pester me to update a story, except for the sort of good-natured 'update soon!' that reviewers always leave. Is that really a common problem for people?
I guess...

Then again, it just might be because they REALLY love the story and want more.

Who knows?

Old 2010-09-09, 18:06   Link #26910
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
It depends on story. I have a few of people who pester me often for more Future Tense, which is the main reason I'm concentrating on it right now. For some of my other stories, I know people who have made their interest known in seeing more, but the demand is strongest for the one I'm working on, as far as PMs or IMs go. Though it's mostly IMs I get from the people I talk to regularly; I haven't really gotten PM's from people on my stories much.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 18:19   Link #26911
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
So, just a question for the FFT in general: when you have a chapter to write and, like, the basics in your head of what you want to happen but don't know how to actually word it, would do you usually do so it comes easier?

I ask because chapter 3 of LDG is giving me fits. I have some idea of what I want to happen between Vivio and Lutecia, but nothing very concrete yet.
Well...um...usually I ask you, which isn't really very helpful. (But I did finish the NanoFate response to LDG2 today, so when I get it typed up, maybe it'll give you an idea or two?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
That one works sometimes, too. Especially if I'm in need for a weird story idea.

Spawn's idea never seems to work for me, because I just end up staring at a blank page. I can't really write if I don't know what it is I'm trying to put on paper.

One thing that sometimes works is to revisit the source inspiration--listen to the music that's the "soundtrack" for the genre, or watch the TV/movie episode that best inspires the mood I'm looking for.

Quote:
I would get hate mail when I skipped a chapter of "The Making of a Family"...

And because this is a fanfiction thread, I bring a fic! This started out being the Vivio's Magical Omake Theater! for the above-mentioned fic, but it ran long and became a short-short of its own:

Spoiler for The Kaiser's Justice Doesn't Play Favorites:
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 18:27   Link #26912
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
People need to bug me more :P

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 18:44   Link #26913
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Spoiler for YuuNanoFate lemon:

Old 2010-09-09, 18:49   Link #26914
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
I do like your stories, even the short little ones. Fear the wrath of the Sankt Kaiser! She is terrible and adorable.

Quote:
Spoiler for YuuNanoFate lemon:
See here.
Old 2010-09-09, 18:56   Link #26915
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Bugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbu gbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugb ugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbugbug.

Bugged enough? I could go on...
Old 2010-09-09, 19:09   Link #26916
SilentOutlaw
Shhh.....

Quote:
And bugged you shall be!

Where's the update for the story with Subaru and Precia in a time warp? I'm dying, dying I dare say for an update on that!

Now, who else needs bugging?
SilentOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 19:18   Link #26917
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

haha i don't think that one was supposed to have an update, but thanks

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-09-09, 19:26   Link #26918
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
And because this is a fanfiction thread, I bring a fic! This started out being the Vivio's Magical Omake Theater! for the above-mentioned fic, but it ran long and became a short-short of its own:

At first I thought Vivio's exclamation was due to her finding out about Fate's past, and I went "Huh?? @_@" since an outburst over that would lead to a pretty serious story...then the real issue came up and I started laughing XD.

Vivio's stutter and attempt (and subsequent failure) to use a big word is so funny and utterly suiting her age .

Quote:
*Poke poke bug bug* How about the Succubus Nanoha story and "Snake's Den"??
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 19:28   Link #26919
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

What's this about Nanoha being a succubus now?

Old 2010-09-09, 19:37   Link #26920
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

haha, now that is a fic i need my butt kicked over x_x

page claim for kicking my butt

Last edited by itanshi1; 2010-09-09 at 21:16.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha