AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Old 2011-02-23, 22:11   Link #29401
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOutlaw View Post
Spoiler for More Blood Calls to Blood!:
Spoiler for BCTB:

Edit: Pageclaim for duck-and-cover Vivio!

Last edited by DezoPenguin; 2011-02-23 at 22:45. Reason: Page claim!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 22:15   Link #29402
DKN117

End of the Halo 1 storyline.

Spoiler for Teana's Travels Book 1 Ch. 21 - The Maw:
DKN117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 22:41   Link #29403
Oseng

Excellent chapter, Synaethetic. I have to admit that I still disagree with some of the canon character's characterizations, and that to me the whole 'hero of justice' thing is both over played and exaggerated. But that is relatively minor and you along with the other Shadowverse writers keep sucking me back in. I'm really looking forward to the next story – it is going to be ….. interesting as the TSAB tries to bring in Earth as an administrated world.

I was surprised that the IAFW Council was so.... easily deflected from NSIS with the announcement of the discovery about Earth though.
Oseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 23:26   Link #29404
DKN117

This chapter will make no sense if you haven't read "First Strike"

Spoiler for Book 1 Ch. 22 - First Strike:
Old 2011-02-24, 00:24   Link #29405
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oseng View Post
Excellent chapter, Synaethetic. I have to admit that I still disagree with some of the canon character's characterizations, and that to me the whole 'hero of justice' thing is both over played and exaggerated. But that is relatively minor and you along with the other Shadowverse writers keep sucking me back in. I'm really looking forward to the next story – it is going to be ….. interesting as the TSAB tries to bring in Earth as an administrated world.

I was surprised that the IAFW Council was so.... easily deflected from NSIS with the announcement of the discovery about Earth though.
Unfortunately, the whole "hero of justice" thing is the simplest way to handwave the major wallbangers the Bureau regularly commits--child labor, child soldiers, letting people get away with all sorts of bad behavior that would never be tolerated in a real military, you get the idea.

I wanted to focus on the story more than trying to explain why the Bureau, supposedly an egalitarian and "good" organization, was acting largely like an African warlord's army. A big part of the "knight mage in shining armor Barrier Jacket" thing is also Beamers' doing, since it's the entire justification for the existence of NSIS and the wet-works Field Division.

Canon character characterizations (wow, that's a mouthful, lmao) tends to be based on how they've been characterized by other SV writers who came before me--a lot of folks get annoyed at how Beamers' portrays Lutecia compared to how ViVid portrays her.

Personally, I prefer it--as far as I'm concerned, Force and ViVid are Discontinuity (in my not-so-humble opinion, they're absolute garbage).

I admit I did allow the Administrative Council to capitulate too easily. I didn't want to do that, but unfortunately I needed to get the fic finished and off my mind so I can do what I really ought to be doing--my schoolwork.

Hopefully I can make up for the Council's quick acceptance and deflection by causing them to do all sorts of political shadiness regarding Earth in the truth.
Old 2011-02-24, 00:40   Link #29406
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Spoiler for Comment:
Spoiler for reply to Tiresias:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Another awesome chapter; can't wait to see how it ends.

HOW DARE YOU?!?!?!?!

Editing is a bitch, isn't it?
Heh heh heh.....

LOL, *cowers* It's not my fault! Both Nanoha and I realized at the same time just how suggestive her offer was , so of course we both had to address it in text ....

Yes, it is .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
This one just gets more and more interesting. I do think Vivio's a little more talkative than she should be about things that are kinda private, though. Maybe have Precia attempt to coax it out of her?

And am I the only one completely skeeved out by the IMightBeNice!Precia or NiceForAGoal!Precia?
*Re-reads* Ah, yes, you do have a point....I think that I was just trying to get past all the talk and into the real fun Precia stuff , so I did rush that bit. I had hoped that I would have created enough of a "Vivio is viewing the Testarossas like family" feel to justify her being helpful and candid with them, but maybe it didn't come out that way . Is it Wall-Banger enough that requires major editing?

My response to that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOutlaw View Post
Spoiler for More Blood Calls to Blood!:
Spoiler for spoiler to SilentOutlaw:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Spoiler for BCTB:

Edit: Pageclaim for duck-and-cover Vivio!
Yeah, thanks for pointing that out in my first draft .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 01:16   Link #29407
DKN117

...Damn. I know I said I didn't care, but... no comments?

...Meh.

Events of Halo 2 start here.

Spoiler for Teana's Travels Book 1 Ch. 23 - Regret's Blunder:
Old 2011-02-24, 05:42   Link #29408
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Not... really impressed to be honest. As far as insert fics go, this is mostly just Teana following Master Chief around and watching him do stuff. The fun part about insert fics is when the ones being inserted take the lead and change stuff. Consider, after all, that the people inserted are why people are reading the fic in the first place.
Old 2011-02-24, 08:30   Link #29409
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
...Damn. I know I said I didn't care, but... no comments?
Not really my kind of fic. Sorry.
Old 2011-02-24, 10:12   Link #29410
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Sorry for the late-ish update , I've been studying for exams . But anyway, here's a new chapter!

Blood Calls To Blood

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Spoiler for Blood Calls To Blood, chapter 3:

Spoiler for Author's Note:
Spoiler for Thoughts:
Old 2011-02-24, 10:47   Link #29411
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
*Re-reads* Ah, yes, you do have a point....I think that I was just trying to get past all the talk and into the real fun Precia stuff , so I did rush that bit. I had hoped that I would have created enough of a "Vivio is viewing the Testarossas like family" feel to justify her being helpful and candid with them, but maybe it didn't come out that way . Is it Wall-Banger enough that requires major editing?
...It's not a Wall-Banger, but I do think it needs addressing. Basically, (I think) you need to up the creepy factor sweetness from Precia and have Vivio try to dance around it, and then have Precia manage to get Vivio to say that the relic was implanted in her. It's less needing Vivio to think of them like family (you got that across) and more that the event in question is one that Vivio likely feels should be private between her and Nanoha-mama specifically.

@Mozco I knew I wasn't the only one.
Old 2011-02-24, 11:34   Link #29412
DKN117

Teana starts having an impact plot-wise in Halo 3, a bit more of one in Book 2, an even bigger impact in Book 4, and a BIG effect on Book 5's canon.

Spoiler for Book 1 Chapter 24 - Mombasa:
Old 2011-02-24, 12:14   Link #29413
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
No, not done with chapter 2 yet...

Here.

Day in the Life Sequel

Future Days

Chapter 1

Spoiler for Future Days Chapter 1:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 12:30   Link #29414
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
@DKN117: Read over the first chapter at random. It's easy to see why nobody here wants to read the story. Regardless of anything else your fic is or is not (bad OR good)--it's not about Nanoha.

And no, I don't mean the character Nanoha, but the setting of Nanoha. Your story is just Halo with Teana stuck inside it--and this FFT is a Nanoha FFT.

If you haven't noticed, people here barely tolerate original characters in the unmolested Nanoha universe. Additionally, if it's not romance, it tends to be fairly unpopular here. The folks here aren't going to care about one character plucked from MGLN and plopped into something that has less than nothing to do with what this thread is about.
Old 2011-02-24, 12:44   Link #29415
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo Send a message via Skype™ to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post

Here.

Day in the Life Sequel

Future Days

Chapter 1

Wow, mood whiplash. I worry that it might be going too dark, too fast, almost. But for the moment it's not a problem, since I'm assuming explanations of exactly what is going on are still to come. And you've certainly managed to build a rather threatening atmosphere, that's for sure.

Looking forward the next chapter!
Old 2011-02-24, 13:07   Link #29416
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Actually, synae, romance fics in Nanoha are generally extremely popular on Fanfiction.net, and not as popular here. The romances certainly don't hurt, but there are plenty of popular fics here where the romance isn't the main focus.
Old 2011-02-24, 13:52   Link #29417
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

To my knowledge, the popular fics here (in this thread) play with canon in some way, but not so much that it becomes unrecognizable as Nanoha-verse. We tend to expand on what we know from canon rather than actively change it (see: Shadowsverse), or play with future possibilities implied by past events (see: Blood Calls to Blood or AlternativeS), or just expand on the future, assuming Canon events happen (see: Beyond the Edge or Dezo's Vivio-centric series). There are far more examples than I cited for each of these topics.

Out and out crossovers tend to be panned. We're just not fans, mostly. I, to be specific, have a very picky taste in crosses, and don't find very many that fit what I like from them.
Old 2011-02-24, 14:15   Link #29418
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Eh, the problem with most crossovers is simply the level of power involved.

You either have to tone down one series or power up the other one without any real reason for either.

Or you could do what I did and have the characters learn from the other series, powering them up that way without making either side get downgraded.

I'd like to think that I managed to do that pretty well in Blood That Flows, showing the strengths of both series involved without de-powering either side.

Of course, that gets to be a bit tricky later on.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 14:30   Link #29419
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I think Blood That Flows worked here because it was the porting of a character from Slayers and dropping them into a Nanoha setting, rather than the other way around. (I didn't read it, but that's not because I don't like Nanya; I don't like crosses)
Old 2011-02-24, 14:31   Link #29420
vic-vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post

Here.

Day in the Life Sequel

Future Days

Chapter 1

Quattro is back and she is for payback!! Nnoha and Co better to be ready...
vic-vic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha