AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2011-07-01, 20:12   Link #32081
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Unless Vivio slips into Adult Mode. Then they'll be true twin sisters.

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 20:14   Link #32082
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
This is all starting to wander a bit into genetics vs. nurture.
*Looks back*

Wait, where's the nurture part? And by the viewpoint of nurture, it's clear that Vivio is not Olivia's daughter
Old 2011-07-01, 22:21   Link #32083
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Fate and Alicia are treated as sisters because they're connected by their mother. Vivio and Olivie have no connection other than original and clone.
Old 2011-07-01, 22:22   Link #32084
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Once again, instead of working on my school essays, I am writing fanfic . Nothing out of the ordinary.

@yui: This should count for bribes, right? It's mostly a Hayate fic!

While this technically takes place in The Hayate and Vivio Files, it's fairly stand-alone. But if you like refreshing yourself on "Lose By Holding Back", it could provide deeper background.

Spoiler for Gut Feeling, slightly NSFW:

Spoiler for Author's Note:

EDIT: Fixed Hayate's age . This is supposed to take place right after the Mariage incident in SSX, so Vivio would be 9, and Hayate would be 22.

Last edited by deathcurse; 2011-07-02 at 13:10.
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 22:46   Link #32085
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Question: When writing Intelligent Device, Barrier Jacket, Spell Names and other variants, do you guys capitalize the first letters on each word or go all-lowercase?
Old 2011-07-01, 23:42   Link #32086
Heroslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Question: When writing Intelligent Device, Barrier Jacket, Spell Names and other variants, do you guys capitalize the first letters on each word or go all-lowercase?
Not sure why you have the bold and such but I usually go with capitalize the first letter for stuff like that.

Gah, I've got nothing for chapter 3 of Lyrical Days. Stupid muse died on me.

This is where we meet Fate so I have maids, a giant cat, and a magical girl rival dressed in black. So...

Butler Shirou getting his ass handed to him by Fate?
Heroslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 23:52   Link #32087
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Sure! Accompanied by some narrative snark.

"As good as you are, you do not yet meet the qualifications of being a full time Combat Butler, Emiya Shirou."

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 00:24   Link #32088
Eagle8819

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Once again, instead of working on my school essays, I am writing fanfic . Nothing out of the ordinary.

While this technically takes place in The Hayate and Vivio Files, it's fairly stand-alone. But if you like refreshing yourself on "Lose By Holding Back", it could provide deeper background.

Spoiler for Comments:
Eagle8819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 00:27   Link #32089
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:

Ahhh, a fic. Morgan always seemed too...smug, I guess you could say, right from the start, though ironically it actually seemed to be Hayate who was the cold one (which, I suppose, successfully echoes the theme you were having her say to herself). While there are hints of Morgan using her (such as asking for the recommendation), Hayate takes it in such blase and willing fashion that it almost comes rather than Morgan cozying up to her superior for fun and profit that Hayate is...well, paying for sex in the same way that a nineteenth-century "gentleman" would support his mistress with a residence, dresses, jewelry, a carriage, etc., etc. Her lack of emotional involvement in the relationship seems complete (the casual way she dismisses Morgan in the first scene to hang out with Vivio...who's 9 here, if the Mariage case referred to is SSX...and the way her greatest concern about the relationship is to keep her family from making a scene and giving her grief rather than anything about herself and Morgan directly). Truthfully, she reminds me of nothing so much as the male lead in a historical romance novel right before he meets the female lead--focused entirely on the job; relationships being superficial, all about pleasure rather than romance, and completely under control; slight wistfulness towards friends finding romance (inevitably, the couple from one of the author's earlier books)...it's pretty much textbook. Which fits completely, since this is a lead-in to Hayate's romance with Vivio (even if that won't even get started for five-plus years down the road)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I capitalize. Pretty much I'm following the example of the subtitles when I do, though. Honestly, from a grammar standpoint I can see the spell names being treated as proper names, but I think "Intelligent Device" probably shouldn't be capitalized. Nonetheless, that does seem to be the general usage in canon and fanon alike.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 00:28   Link #32090
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Quote:

I now have a wiiiiiiiiiiiide goofy grin plastered over my face I like it when your plot bunny goes crazy hehehe.

When it was first mentioned that Hayate's friends seemed to frown upon her relationship with Morgan, I'd somehow assumed it was because she was superior in rank and that she might have been abusing that authority.

Quote:
"She knew how most of her friends saw her relationship with Morgan—there was no need to bring down a day’s mood in disputing over it."
Not sure why I jumped to that rather illogical conclusion because everything else (including past chapters) indicates otherwise. Maybe it was the defensive tone? In all likelihood, it's probably just because my brain's been wired to my job and I instantly consider abuses of power and fiduciary duties :S

Loved how you slipped in the lizard parts of Hayate's thinking too ;D

"From Hayate’s personal judgement of Morgan’s performance in the field…her military performance…" teeheehee

Payment accepted. Now I just need to stop working over my weekend and get drawing
Old 2011-07-02, 00:29   Link #32091
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Capitalizing does help when you have to refer to the same words, like device, without talking about an actual Device of some sorts.
Old 2011-07-02, 00:30   Link #32092
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4

Spoiler for The Two Goddesses:

Had to split Chapter 5 into two parts because it's over the character limit. When I wake up I'll post the... remaining...

Last edited by Craxuan; 2011-07-02 at 04:48.
Craxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 01:08   Link #32093
Justin_Brett

Quote:
I try to go for the second one, since they're pretty much ordinary nouns in Midchilda. Spell names definitely should be capitalized, though, since they're specific things.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 01:26   Link #32094
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
I try to go for the second one, since they're pretty much ordinary nouns in Midchilda. Spell names definitely should be capitalized, though, since they're specific things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
I capitalize. Pretty much I'm following the example of the subtitles when I do, though. Honestly, from a grammar standpoint I can see the spell names being treated as proper names, but I think "Intelligent Device" probably shouldn't be capitalized. Nonetheless, that does seem to be the general usage in canon and fanon alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroslayer View Post
Not sure why you have the bold and such but I usually go with capitalize the first letter for stuff like that.
I see there's a general agreement on spell names but also differences on the items. Hmm, decisions, decision...

How about intelligent-devices and barrier-jackets? And which one is better, Air Mage, air mage, or air-mage?

Quote:
Butler Shirou getting his ass handed to him by Fate?
I have been wondering, but how do you plan on getting Shirou into the action? He can't fly, and some of the clashes between Nanoha and Fate were in the form of high-speed dogfights. Ultra long-range fire support? Better get familiar with those legendary weapons fast
Old 2011-07-02, 01:32   Link #32095
Justin_Brett

Never really thought about using hyphens...

And yeah, that's the same problem that other Nanoha/Fate crossover encountered - how are some of the Servants gonna fight flying mages?
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 02:17   Link #32096
sniperk
Overgrown Kid

Quote:

Interesting piece. While you made it sound like Hayate knew her priorities regarding her relantionship with Morgan, at the same time, she completely blew them off just to stroll around with Vivio on the same day. This would be the first hint that Morgan wasn't really into Hayate as she should. Or could. (and vice-versa). By the interaction between the Aces and Vivio, I take that Vivio's bombshell declaration was yet to be delivered by the time of this fic, right?

Plot bunnies are known for their unpredictability. They come, go, sleep, awaken, hibernate again, go take a walk, then come back only to go again, disappearing without notice, but, hopefully, they come back. They always should come back.
sniperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 03:10   Link #32097
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Never really thought about using hyphens...

And yeah, that's the same problem that other Nanoha/Fate crossover encountered - how are some of the Servants gonna fight flying mages?
Jump good.

Seriously, some Servants wouldn't have problems against flyiers. Just look at Saber vs Rider.
Old 2011-07-02, 04:44   Link #32098
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Send a message via AIM to Kuroi Hadou Send a message via Skype™ to Kuroi Hadou
If they're Goldie or Archer they can just spam swords into the air. I also doubt Lancer would have any real problems getting into the air. And Goldie also has that flying... thing of his.
Old 2011-07-02, 05:18   Link #32099
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3,
Chapter 4, Chapter 5 (Part 1)
Spoiler for The Two Goddesses:

Let me be honest: I have never been satisfied with the last scene, so it could be subjected to changes any time. It is the hardest thing I ever wrote in my life, because I specialize in writing death from a 1st PoV.

If you ask the reason why I'm posting it here despite the dissatisfaction, it's just something I need to flush out from my system, after being trapped a whole week in hospital. Still am actually. Ugh.

Whatever changes there might be though, one fact remains. And now I eat my dinner before the nurses take them away...

Last edited by Craxuan; 2011-07-02 at 06:39.
Craxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 06:13   Link #32100
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Jump good.

Seriously, some Servants wouldn't have problems against flyers. Just look at Saber vs Rider.
Unless they can make magical platforms while jumping, such action only makes melee users easy target since they can't even get a foothold.

Rider didn't have any ranged attack while using Bellerophon, which made her flight course very easy to predict (hint: fire when she flies straight at you).

And you people forgets one great advantage of flight: more escape options. Battle not in your favor? Fly out of enemy range and return to base, lick your wounds and reanalyze what went wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
If they're Goldie or Archer they can just spam swords into the air. And Goldie also has that flying... thing of his.
Super long-range attacks it is, then. Still, what about others?

Quote:
I also doubt Lancer would have any real problems getting into the air.
Even if the enemy position themselves five kilometers above sea levels or higher? And see above on my opinion regarding jumping.

"Collision of Interests" managed to circumvent the dilemma by having the fights occurring in urban situation where the air-mages can't just rain death from above with impunity. But just how are Shirou going to contribute in, say, the fight above the ocean?

Look, it's perfectly fine if you just want to play Rule of Cool to the hilt and go "both sides charge their super awesome attacks, and BLAM!!!!" a la the crack fic Takamachi Nanoha of 2814. But the more you elaborate on the fights and the more serious the story is, considerations on the tactical advantage and disadvantage of every ability became more important, and there are things you can't do just because "b-but, they're awesome!"

Deliberately flying low and close just to give your enemy a fair fight (and a story) is very poor from a tactical standpoint. Just saying.

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha