AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2009-10-04, 11:54   Link #16441
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Personally, I just use TVTropes as the Nanoha wiki, since between the main article and the character sheets pages for Nanoha, there's a LOT of details there and most of the rest of the details are scattered throughout the various tropes associated with some of the characters.
That can make it very difficult to find a single piece of information that you may be looking for. Taking all that's on TVTropes and organizing it somewhere might be helpful... but there's no guarantee that it's all correct...

Page claim for researching your fic!
Old 2009-10-04, 11:56   Link #16442
GlancingReverse

The only research I've ever done for my fics is either watching the episodes or taking a quick look at timelines and such.
GlancingReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 11:56   Link #16443
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
That can make it very difficult to find a single piece of information that you may be looking for. Taking all that's on TVTropes and organizing it somewhere might be helpful... but there's no guarantee that it's all correct...

Page claim for researching your fic!
Yes, given the massive amount of information out there and the various different sources of information (anime, manga, sound stages, DVD booklets, novel, artbooks...), it's important that any collection of information cite to its sources, too.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 12:08   Link #16444
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Quote:

It's... the writing is good, but you jump around to the point that it's hard to follow one concrete line of thought here. I get (since I had to actually take a glance at where we were, and looked at your outline) that you're splitting it into separated arcs, but I'm not sure about the goal of each. Is each the introduction of a character/pair/trio that arrives on Mid-Childa? If so, have we not started the overarching plot yet? Quite a long time to spend on intros, if that's the case. If not... then I haven't a clue where we're going.

But I'm still enjoying it, because you have a good sense of mystery and style. So I think it could be more... streamlined?
Many thanks for your thoughts and I had a notion this would sooner or later be brought up.

There isn't introduction arcs per se anymore, that was something I rolled with in the beginning. What we have now is a lot of plots, subplots and and sideplots with a load of characters. One of my problems is that I have a massive amount of plot ideas and character ideas I want to write and I bring them together in KoE to be able to write them out without doing alternate fics. (Wallachia's shorts are for example happening in KoE but as seperate fics. Putting them in would wreck havoc even more.)

Regarding jumping a lot, I've tried to keep them down for each chapter. I think we will see a further decrease of PoV jumping in later chapters to try and make it not so spread out. It will still jump but maybe just once or twice each chapter less frequently. It depends how much material I can think up for each PoV.

However, at the same time it's supposed to be... a little confusing atm regarding the plot itself. But you are right, it needs to be streamlined more as I'm all over the place.

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 12:13   Link #16445
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Many thanks for your thoughts and I had a notion this would sooner or later be brought up.

There isn't introduction arcs per se anymore, that was something I rolled with in the beginning. What we have now is a lot of plots, subplots and and sideplots with a load of characters. One of my problems is that I have a massive amount of plot ideas and character ideas I want to write and I bring them together in KoE to be able to write them out without doing alternate fics. (Wallachia's shorts are for example happening in KoE but as seperate fics. Putting them in would wreck havoc even more.)

Regarding jumping a lot, I've tried to keep them down for each chapter. I think we will see a further decrease of PoV jumping in later chapters to try and make it not so spread out. It will still jump but maybe just once or twice each chapter less frequently. It depends how much material I can think up for each PoV.

However, at the same time it's supposed to be... a little confusing atm regarding the plot itself. But you are right, it needs to be streamlined more as I'm all over the place.
One big help would be to resolve something (anything, really) that you've brought up in the course of the narrative. Tie up a few threads. It's not like you have a shortage of ones to leave hanging. Waiting until the ending will just frustrate readers into thinking that it's too opaque. You keep introducing new characters and plots without really giving us any real closure on stuff you've already opened. Closing a few of those openings would really help, I think. Particularly if you wrap up something that gives us a hint as to... where this is all going.
Old 2009-10-04, 12:47   Link #16446
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Quote:
One big help would be to resolve something (anything, really) that you've brought up in the course of the narrative. Tie up a few threads. It's not like you have a shortage of ones to leave hanging. Waiting until the ending will just frustrate readers into thinking that it's too opaque. You keep introducing new characters and plots without really giving us any real closure on stuff you've already opened. Closing a few of those openings would really help, I think. Particularly if you wrap up something that gives us a hint as to... where this is all going.
That is a plausible solution indeed but a hard one to do. The bad thing is I have Ch12 almost done (written months earlier) and a major part of 13 (also written some months back). They, too, open up more stuff and switches perspectives more, without closing something.

What I can do is to revise them and try to close something or delay the stuff within them to a later release to avoid further confusion and to balance the output.

Also, I guess, I can try and stay in one perspective per chapter, drastically decreasing jumping and closing/merging some things faster and see how that works out for me.

Steam: ax/apocnuke | LET'S ROCK
NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 13:11   Link #16447
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Also, I guess, I can try and stay in one perspective per chapter, drastically decreasing jumping and closing/merging some things faster and see how that works out for me.
Perhaps a good thing for the second draft. A large revision into more streamlined form. Where you can remain in the same point of view for longer periods because you have a better idea of what's happening.
Old 2009-10-04, 16:55   Link #16448
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

You know what I just realized? Nanoha can SO win a Gundam fight...

Gundam Pilot: MAYDAY! MAYDAY! Need backup IMMEDIATELY!
Nanoha: Starlight....
Gundam Pilot: HELP!!!!!!
Nanoha: ....BREAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gundam Pilot: AGHHHHHHH!!!!

[Gundam gets destroyed....]

BAD END...

:3

Last edited by Alavon; 2009-10-04 at 18:15.
Alavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 18:21   Link #16449
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Spoiler for Grand-Mamas:

Spoiler for Authors Notes:
Old 2009-10-04, 18:38   Link #16450
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Breaking it in nine chapters is a good idea, I think.
Old 2009-10-04, 19:39   Link #16451
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi Send a message via Skype™ to Satashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavon View Post
Spoiler for Grand-Mamas:

Spoiler for Authors Notes:
9 parts seems good, as long as you know how pregnancy works. Otherwise it'd be insanely OOC. Plus, who's the father? this fic seems a little weird starting out with no back story.

Also, remember that Vivio probably wouldn't find out she's pregnant until about a month passes after conception. Two days is like "they've been trying for a while now, before the marriage" and Nanoha would probably go nuts.
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 19:50   Link #16452
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Quote:
9 parts seems good, as long as you know how pregnancy works.
Satashi! How could you say such a thing?! Of course I know how pregnancy works! Y-you really hurt me...

Quote:
Plus, who's the father? this fic seems a little weird starting out with no back story
I did write the back story. I just didn't post since...hmmm...I have no idea....

Quote:
Also, remember that Vivio probably wouldn't find out she's pregnant until about a month passes after conception. Two days is like "they've been trying for a while now, before the marriage" and Nanoha would probably go nuts.

And we have have a WINNER!
Old 2009-10-04, 19:54   Link #16453
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Satashi! How could you say such a thing?! Of course I know how pregnancy works! Y-you really hurt me...
*hugs*
Quote:
I did write the back story. I just didn't post since...hmmm...I have no idea....
I don't like the idea of Vivio being with anyone but Syn so I probably wouldn't read it T_T
Quote:
And we have have a WINNER!
YAY! *gets car wax and box of rice* I'm a winner!
Old 2009-10-04, 20:01   Link #16454
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

*hugs Satashi back*

Quote:
I don't like the idea of Vivio being with anyone but Syn so I probably wouldn't read it T_T
*gets emotionally trampled by elephants*

Y-you're k-killing me h-here....

*goes to a corner and cries...again*
Old 2009-10-04, 20:03   Link #16455
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
There there avalon it's not your fault that Satashi's really rather silly (especially for someone who's claimed to dislike OC's :P)
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 20:05   Link #16456
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
*hugs Satashi back*

*gets emotionally trampled by elephants*

Y-you're k-killing me h-here....

*goes to a corner and cries...again*
awwwwww *pats* dun worry, I never read any fics, but I did read your prologue <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
There there avalon it's not your fault that Satashi's really rather silly (especially for someone who's claimed to dislike OC's :P)
I only like Syn

Besides, I'm not silly. *watches animeniacs* It's pinky and the brain~
Old 2009-10-04, 20:08   Link #16457
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

*sniff* Thanks a lot, Shiny.

Quote:
awwwwww *pats* dun worry, I never read any fics, but I did read your prologue <3
I don''t know if I should be proud or depress...
Old 2009-10-04, 20:18   Link #16458
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
I don''t know if I should be proud or depress...
Just keep writing from your heart and people will read it :3
Old 2009-10-04, 20:22   Link #16459
Alavon
Worshipper of Nanoha...

Thank you Satashi-sama! :3

*cries tears of joy*
Old 2009-10-04, 20:23   Link #16460
Tempy
Σ(。д(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author