AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-30, 05:29   Link #821
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

And a new page.

PROFILE PICTURES!
VOTE!!!
VOTE!!!

Vote for your favourite picture of the Haruhi characters, Shana, and Mai Kawasumi.

Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
PLEASE AVOID USING THE WORD "VOTE" WITH THE INTENT TO CAMPAIGN.
Quote:
He's talking about which profile pics for each character, not for the actual contest itself, in which campaigning with the term "vote" is against the rules...
So no usage of "vote"?

I decided to use Kamina because I thought that I might actually get in trouble if I chose a character eligible in the tournament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
Missed my Ma~i: Chopsticks
Back 2 Shana 2...
Would that be a vote for Shana #2? (And Mai 2, right?)
Old 2008-03-30, 05:45   Link #822
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
So no usage of "vote"?

I decided to use Kamina because I thought that I might actually get in trouble if I chose a character eligible in the tournament.
You know what? You're mean. But yeah, check the rules on the first post again.

Speaking of which, I need help deciding themes for each necklace that is to be awarded. Something like this:

Aquamarine - become one with the ocean
Topaz - become one with the sun
Amethyst - become one with the moon
Sapphire - become one with the sky (that's the problem - isn't the sun and the moon part of the sky?)
Emerald - become one with the earth
Ruby - become one with the magma
Diamond - become one with the wind
Old 2008-03-30, 05:54   Link #823
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

@qtipbrit:
Ack! Sorry for unintentional vagueness, I meant just the pic of Mai using the chopsticks (#3). I'm watching Shana 2; I voted for her pic earlier (pic #3) :-)

Obviously my brain is scrambled by too much anime-watching LOL (Just found Sola and digging Matsuri to the max; she'll be another vote-getter from me!)

EDIT: @minhtam: IMO Sky is fine; the sun and moon are far beyond the sky ;-) My first thought was Sapphire = one with the Air, because, you know... (points to Avi). But I think sky should be fine :-)

Last edited by Ahasuerus; 2008-03-30 at 06:00. Reason: add an air-y thought
Old 2008-03-30, 06:05   Link #824
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Quote:
  • No Image campaigning.
    Do not create a post with an image or collage representation of a campaign poster. In other words: a PhotoShopped image of the character you want people to vote for with “vote for” text added to it.
Ah, my Kamina support picture seems fine, but in case you need more ambiguity:

Quote:
  • Do not create image only posts.
    You can, however, include an image with your discussion. If you want to visually support the character you’re voting for then please do so in the context of your original discussion and use only one or two images. We would encourage the use of “thumbnails” if possible (and please, no large images). PM the mods if you need help with posting thumbnail images.
Oh crap.
Quote:
Speaking of which, I need help deciding themes for each necklace that is to be awarded. Something like this:

Sapphire - become one with the sky (that's the problem - isn't the sun and the moon part of the sky?)
How about going with classical elements and such, with "water" and "fire" instead of "the ocean" and "the magma"?
Maybe we could go mysterious-like and say "the night" instead of moon, and have Sapphire be "the moon".
haha.

But I think that Sky is fine. All throughout Air, Sola, and Ef I didn't think of either the sun or moon, mostly clouds and such.

And your vote counts for the Haruhi, Shana, and Mai pictures, too minhtam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
@qtipbrit:
Ack! Sorry for unintentional vagueness, I meant just the pic of Mai using the chopsticks (#3). I'm watching Shana 2; I voted for her pic earlier (pic #3) :-)
Ah, I see. The Mai picture with the chopsticks was 2, though, the first two pictures were 1a. and 1b. (I just realised that we should change this, though after Mai and Shana are decided, there will be no more of these.)
And for #3 Shana, would that be the one with 02. or 03. next to the picture (the first two are again 01a. and 01b.)
And Sola is very similar to Air, right down to the pacing issues during the middle part of the series. You'll probably enjoy it if you liked Air.
I almost spoiled something, but I caught myself.
Old 2008-03-30, 06:27   Link #825
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Oh crap.

How about going with classical elements and such, with "water" and "fire" instead of "the ocean" and "the magma"?
Maybe we could go mysterious-like and say "the night" instead of moon, and have Sapphire be "the moon".
haha.

But I think that Sky is fine. All throughout Air, Sola, and Ef I didn't think of either the sun or moon, mostly clouds and such.

And your vote counts for the Haruhi, Shana, and Mai pictures, too minhtam.
See, classical elements such as water and fire would have worked... if there were only 4 necklaces to be given out. I could think of seven that could work in the same manner - earth, wind, fire, water, lightning, darkness, and light, but I don't want to use darkness, and light and lightning are pretty much the same thing anyway. And there's this thing called parallelism.

The hardest one was Amethyst - what in the Earth would represent a purpleness? But Topaz was the setting sun, so I'd figured the moon could work that same way. After all, Suigintou looks cute next to the moon, and the crystal on her ring is purple.

And I'm usually neutral to the profile pictures - if there is one I like, I'll tell you by PM

EDIT 1: The website has been updated with the new feature matches. You should see somewhat of a new look for the Aquamarine period, but basically, not much difference in the style.

Last edited by minhtam1638; 2008-03-30 at 07:08.
Old 2008-03-30, 07:32   Link #826
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytrus View Post
Spoiler for Shana bio - unedited, for reference:

Good draft. I'd say the apostrophes get a little tiresome later on in the second paragraph - you could drop them in the last sentence or just the very last instance, or change the sentence a bit: "Why was she paying so much attention to an insignificant object?". Not necessarily, though. I like it as it is too.

3rd paragraph, I'd stick to past tenses for pre-anime events and present for "during plot" events. So:
Spoiler for revision:

Slipped in some minor changes. Also omitted Alastor, he'd need to be explained somehow, his significance isn't obvious.

PS About to leave the thread for two whole days, and already afraid of the catching up to come.
Mmm? Mention Alastor in the bio? Sure, I'll write him in. Thanks on the tense and I'll think about how to tweak the apostrophes.

Quote:

Quote:
See, classical elements such as water and fire would have worked... if there were only 4 necklaces to be given out. I could think of seven that could work in the same manner - earth, wind, fire, water, lightning, darkness, and light, but I don't want to use darkness, and light and lightning are pretty much the same thing anyway.
Do eeeet the Patchouli way! The Chinese classical elements: Sun, Moon, Fire, Water, Tree, Metal, Earth. Is also what the days of the week are named in Asia (Chinese, Japanese, Korean).

So we have something like...
Aquamarine - Water
Topaz - Sun
Amethyst - Moon
Sapphire - Metal
Emerald - Tree
Ruby - Fire
Diamond - Earth

On an unrelated note, I have huge gripes that they officially chose 'Sola' instead of 'Sora' as the romanisation. Sora would have automatically gotten me to realise the series is titled SKY, suddenly making things have a lot more impact. Took me a while to realise that's what they were trying to say in the title...

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Old 2008-03-30, 07:37   Link #827
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye View Post
Do eeeet the Patchouli way! The Chinese classical elements: Sun, Moon, Fire, Water, Tree, Metal, Earth. Is also what the days of the week are named in Asia (Chinese, Japanese, Korean).

So we have something like...
Aquamarine - Water
Topaz - Sun
Amethyst - Moon
Sapphire - Metal
Emerald - Tree
Ruby - Fire
Diamond - Earth
You, my friend, win. Water adapted to the website. Although I'm not sure about Sapphire being Metal - that and Earth may be a little bit ambiguous. Maybe Metal would be for the Diamond period, since Earth can adapt water into it's grounds to form trees, which makes it suitable for Sapphire...
Old 2008-03-30, 07:57   Link #828
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
You, my friend, win. Water adapted to the website. Although I'm not sure about Sapphire being Metal - that and Earth may be a little bit ambiguous. Maybe Metal would be for the Diamond period, since Earth can adapt water into it's grounds to form trees, which makes it suitable for Sapphire...
I think Sapphire as Earth and Diamond as metal would be better,
Spoiler for Sapphire:

Gives off "earth" vibes.

And here's a vectored prom dress Mai if anyone is willing to put in a background. We would have to do a revote, but if it were up, I would vote for it.
Old 2008-03-30, 08:06   Link #829
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

We could do a re-vote. Why not?

And I didn't factor non-blue Sapphire crystals into consideration but yeah, it would make more sense.
Old 2008-03-30, 08:15   Link #830
z3phyr.mp3
:love: Tsukasa :love:
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to z3phyr.mp3
a few profile pics...

Old 2008-03-30, 08:59   Link #831
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Send a message via MSN to Fynal_Fyre
Quote:
Spoiler for Sapphire:

Gives off "earth" vibes.

And here's a vectored prom dress Mai if anyone is willing to put in a background. We would have to do a revote, but if it were up, I would vote for it.
Diamond makes sense as a "metal", because, after all, it is the hardest NATURAL mineral and the 3rd hardest artificial one....so....

It just gives off the "Metal Vibe" to me.

Quote:
We could do a re-vote. Why not?

And I didn't factor non-blue Sapphire crystals into consideration but yeah, it would make more sense.
And WAO, I leave this thread alone for a day and the voting campaign goes up....

So here are my choices:

Shana: TAIYAKI NUMBER TWOOOOO.
Haruhi: #4, but OB's 6 is pretty win too.
Yuki: #5
Mikuru Asahina: #2
Tsuraya: #1(DING DING DING! WINNER)
Kyon's Sister: #4 Loli-in-a-bag smacks the rest down....hard.
Mai: #2

I truly must bow to OB's Nagato, your Nagato, sir, is made of win.

It's not sad anymore| Insanity and rants

Old 2008-03-30, 11:33   Link #832
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

O.o Me a jealous of teh cute and beautiful profiles pics~~~~

Edit : btw, holy ****!!! I haven't been here for a couple of weeks and the topic pops up over 30 pages?!? XD
Old 2008-03-30, 11:37   Link #833
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Quote:
Spoiler for Sapphire:

Gives off "earth" vibes.
We're thinking of the refined light blue sapphire, which is what more people view as sapphire.
Old 2008-03-30, 11:39   Link #834
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphastickmania View Post
O.o Me a jealous of teh cute and beautiful profiles pics~~~~

Edit : btw, holy ****!!! I haven't been here for a couple of weeks and the topic pops up over 30 pages?!? XD
Yeah, I was commenting on how two weeks ago I have no clue what this tournament was about, and that was on page 12.

EDIT: And by the way, I daresay you know the website that has all of our profile pictures listed? If you don't, then you should check out all the moe over there.~
Old 2008-03-30, 11:46   Link #835
alphastickmania
Stick Figure

Well. I guess I could report on progress on my side.

60 avatars are up on the website for all to see by now and well... I am as of now positioned in front of my computer finishing the last 4 (3, 1 done already) at 12:43 am (And ticking).

Let's just say I had more than one complications popping up on my side. :P

Expected to have finished much earlier, though. T T

Spoiler for Comments On Profile Pictures:

Edit : Been there once. Ain't got time to vote right now. :P

Edit 2 : Might try my luck at banner/logo contest.
Old 2008-03-30, 13:38   Link #836
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Send a message via MSN to Fynal_Fyre
Nice, more avatars up.

Oh, by the way, there's a few holes in the wikicode, something very easy to fix, I'll try and get it done before I'm off to sleep.

A few more profile pictures, then I'd better be off, I'm losing a tad bit of sleep, that's unhealthy....

Spoiler for Louise, 2 new ones:

Spoiler for The Clannad Girls:

Thanks Danbooru, oh, by the way, need to give credit to designchronicle.com and animestocks.com for the Haruhi ones.

EDIT: No wiki holes, profiles pic page updated, will fix Louise text later.

EDIT 2: Dang, I realised the new slew of images are a tad large, will fix that.

It's not sad anymore| Insanity and rants

Last edited by Fynal_Fyre; 2008-03-30 at 14:07.
Old 2008-03-30, 14:11   Link #837
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Need a little help, please. Trying to sort out the Negima! vs. Negima!? thing. I see the girls listed in the tournament as being from Negima!? (and, yes, the question mark should be after the exclamation).

Is there that much of a difference as far as getting to know the characters in the tournament? The wiki states, "Negima!? focuses more on magical battles and comedy and less on fanservice." But, I see it's a retelling of the original and I've read some comments that it's a disappointment.

I just watched episode 1 of "?" and thought it seemed ok. It has me interested... now, THAT'S a LOT of cute girls in one place.

But, I also see that it was only fansubbed up to #20(?). Looks like lots more still available out there for the original, Mahō Sensei Negima!... is that because it has more fan service, or because it's more like the manga?
Old 2008-03-30, 14:27   Link #838
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

"Sapphire - become one with the stars"

Shouldn't that work better?
Old 2008-03-30, 14:45   Link #839
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Sun is a star.
Old 2008-03-30, 15:01   Link #840
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

You are correct, but in context one does not group the sun with the stars, as while the sun is out, you cannot see the remaining stars. It fits with the sky theme without forcing the moon and sun into the equation.

Tags
i-moe, i-saimoe, isml, moe, saimoe