AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-10, 12:30   Link #461
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by revan5 View Post
Uh, Shiek, there's a very conventional answer to this. It's because African-Americans, let alone any American, does not exist in the Yagi universe of Claymore. Plus we've only seen people of caucasian skin color in the manga so far and few people associate Africans with medieval life.
Revan..........you completely missed my point entirely

This is a fun thread; it's not to be taking seriously, it's why actors and actresses that are far too old or far too young or whatever wouldn't seriously be chosen, even if they have a few traits or their role/character in one of their movies is near identical to a character in the manga.

For example, I chose Jake Lloyd from Episode 1 for Raki. Obviously, he's grown up and far too old to play kid Raki, but if it were magically possible, we just need to take him in his Anakin look and he'd be perfect.

Talking about skin colors and medieval life is beside the point .
Old 2009-07-10, 12:41   Link #462
revan5
Dark Lord of Animesuki

Location: The Kingdom of Orange...you can't beat the Cuse, in basketball or snowfall!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Revan..........you completely missed my point entirely

This is a fun thread; it's not to be taking seriously, it's why actors and actresses that are far too old or far too young or whatever wouldn't seriously be chosen, even if they have a few traits or their role/character in one of their movies is near identical to a character in the manga.

For example, I chose Jake Lloyd from Episode 1 for Raki. Obviously, he's grown up and far too old to play kid Raki, but if it were magically possible, we just need to take him in his Anakin look and he'd be perfect.

Talking about skin colors and medieval life is beside the point .
I disagree, I think it is entirely cogent with what we are talking about. You have to admit Shiek, when was the last time you saw a person of African descent in a medieval setting outside of modern fantasy TV series? This is related to my point that you need someone who at least can look Caucasian for Renee. Sure you might be able to get a mixed race actress like Halle Berry for the part, but someone with an African-like nose wouldn't work. Why? Renee has a European-type nose, not an Asian or African one.

How the warriors of Claymore OUGHT to look: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=12541
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=12530
"So Shiek, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb!"
Old 2009-07-10, 12:51   Link #463
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
I disagree, I think it is entirely cogent with what we are talking about. You have to admit Shiek, when was the last time you saw a person of African descent in a medieval setting outside of modern fantasy TV series? This is related to my point that you need someone who at least can look Caucasian for Renee. Sure you might be able to get a mixed race actress like Halle Berry for the part, but someone with an African-like nose wouldn't work. Why? Renee has a European-type nose, not an Asian or African one.
I swear you're making me wanna pull my hair out and scream
Old 2009-07-10, 14:20   Link #464
revan5
Dark Lord of Animesuki

Location: The Kingdom of Orange...you can't beat the Cuse, in basketball or snowfall!
Quote:
I swear you're making me wanna pull my hair out and scream
I'll spare you some advice-don't pull your hair out, and whatever you do Shiek, you should be able to stand disagreeing with someone else, otherwise you'll never be happy in life. Disagreement is going to happen, whether with me or other people on this forum.

How the warriors of Claymore OUGHT to look: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=12541
Old 2009-07-10, 15:33   Link #465
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
I'll spare you some advice-don't pull your hair out, and whatever you do Shiek, you should be able to stand disagreeing with someone else, otherwise you'll never be happy in life. Disagreement is going to happen, whether with me or other people on this forum.

Forget it, just forget it.
Old 2009-07-13, 14:04   Link #466
revan5
Dark Lord of Animesuki

Quote:

Forget it, just forget it.
Ah, what's to forget? 'Sides, I think Halle Berry would make a great Renee. She has both the nose and seemingly the skin tone you'd require, and most likely the hair for the job. Plus, the acting skills she brings to the table are head and shoulders better than most of the other actresses mentioned for other parts.

-Also, her looks would work wonders on distracting whichever actor was portraying Dauf. "If you dare betray Riful..." (notices sexy hips) "well, no matter, once you're done here, you're coming back to my place."
Renee runs for her life prematurely...

Old 2009-07-13, 14:18   Link #467
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Ah, what's to forget?
Because you're taking this very seriously, giving me advice and I'm very light-hearted about the whole thing
Old 2009-07-13, 16:39   Link #468
Arturro

Quote:
I disagree, I think it is entirely cogent with what we are talking about. You have to admit Shiek, when was the last time you saw a person of African descent in a medieval setting outside of modern fantasy TV series?
Conan, both films

You right, most of fantasy is based on European or Asian mythology, cause those are best known. We have classic fantasy words like in Tolkien trylogy (nordic mythology), Vampires (slavic mythology), dragons and ghosts (both european and far east), demons with tentacles, Cthultu (indian mythology), djins (arabic mythology), elementals (both persian and far east mythology), Chi powers (Far east). I don't remember any demon/beast/etc. based on african mythology.

Old 2009-07-14, 21:47   Link #469
revan5
Dark Lord of Animesuki

Quote:
Because you're taking this very seriously, giving me advice and I'm very light-hearted about the whole thing
I should have known, going online where my tone of voice and calm, witty demeanor were not apparent that the first thing everyone would go on was the Sith Lord status. After all, when we Sith Lords do use sarcasm, it is universally taken for gloating, mockery, or some combination thereof (to be fair, most Sith Lords are guilty of previous acts). Tragically though, in this never-ending war of misunderstandings, this Sith Lord's idea of having Halle Berry portray Renee was not even mentioned .

By the way Shiek, do you know how to put up images of her? I would but I avoid image-sharing sites. Once we get images up we can get a nice debate going on just who should be Renee. But a better debate would be to put up the front-runners for each key character.

Last edited by revan5; 2009-07-14 at 22:01.
Old 2009-07-14, 21:55   Link #470
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
I should have known, going online where my tone of voice and calm, witty demeanor that the first thing everyone would go on was the Sith Lord status. After all, when we Sith Lords do use sarcasm, it is universally taken for gloating, mockery, or some combination thereof (to be fair, most Sith Lords are guilty of previous acts). Tragically though, in this never-ending war of misunderstandings, this Sith Lord's idea of having Halle Berry portray Renee was not even mentioned .

By the way Shiek, do you know how to put up images of her? I would but I avoid image-sharing sites. Once we get images up we can get a nice debate going on just who should be Renee. But a better debate would be to put up the front-runners for each key character.
The main site I use for uploading pics is Tiny Pic; easy, fast and free.
Old 2009-08-13, 01:28   Link #471
graywolf202

A new discovery of mine.

Gina Carano. MMA artist. Specialty in Muay Thai. Quite an interesting MMA record. And she IS charming. IMO, that's how Claymores are: you won't know they're killers until the bodies hit the floor.
Old 2009-08-13, 10:08   Link #472
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf202 View Post
A new discovery of mine.

Gina Carano. MMA artist. Specialty in Muay Thai. Quite an interesting MMA record. And she IS charming. IMO, that's how Claymores are: you won't know they're killers until the bodies hit the floor.

I agree with that 100%. She doesn't look intimidating at all and that's how they should look.
Old 2009-08-14, 01:08   Link #473
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
A new discovery of mine.

Wow, an MMA expert who'se pretty hot. That's a rare sight!
Old 2009-08-14, 07:56   Link #474
Arkham
Stoned Assasin

Quote:
A new discovery of mine.

Good find

But wich Claymore could she play
Old 2009-08-14, 14:44   Link #475
MisterJB
Warden of the West

Old 2009-08-14, 15:00   Link #476
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJB View Post

..........Ummm...................

I'm at a loss for words

I don't even know who that is, though it's definitely not Anthony Hopkins though he looks like him.

I've already said Michelle Tractenberg should play her but what about Emma Watson from the Harry Potter movies?
She's still young, relatively short, baby-face, small bust, similar hairstyle....what do you think?
Old 2009-08-14, 15:09   Link #477
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
..........Ummm...................

I'm at a loss for words

I don't even know who that is, though it's definitely not Anthony Hopkins though he looks like him.

I've already said Michelle Tractenberg should play her but what about Emma Watson from the Harry Potter movies?
She's still young, relatively short, baby-face, small bust, similar hairstyle....what do you think?
Maybe, but I always had the impression that Riful was fairly younger than 17. Not to mention I don't like her. She'd only disgrace Riful's greatness. I think a live action movie would be better with a bunch of unkown actors. Lately, there's been quite a few movies that actually impressed me with actors we've never heard about before.

Oh, and that guy in the hospital, JB, please explain what he has to do with Riful??????? Are you trying to say he'd do a good Duff?
Old 2009-08-14, 15:16   Link #478
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Well of course; Riful is prepubesent. Still, Emma is young and small enough that she may pull it off. Still, you're probably right in wanting somebody else.

Quote:
Oh, and that guy in the hospital, JB, please explain what he has to do with Riful??????? Are you trying to say he'd do a good Duff?
Don't mind him, he's just being himself
Old 2009-08-14, 15:40   Link #479
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Well of course; Riful is prepubesent. Still, Emma is young and small enough that she may pull it off. Still, you're probably right in wanting somebody else.

Don't mind him, he's just being himself
I should've figured

This guy would play an excellent Rubel......back in the day
Old 2009-08-14, 15:41   Link #480
haegar
mangaviking

Think we might find a role for her?
Veronica maybe? Or Flora even with the right hair?

relatively unknown, no muai tai but at least ballett and the last film I saw her in did feature some action based acting...

Agness Bruckner @ IMDB