AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-06-17, 06:55   Link #1
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Popular Works that Inspire/Get Referenced in Popular Anime

I've noticed, that since most of the beloved Manga/Anime Authors that we have come to love these days are after literally children of the 1960's to 1980's Television and Movies Eras, there seems to be a plentiful amount of references, tributes and whole plot references of beloved American Movies in the Anime/Manga that Children of the 1980's Grow up With.

To Kick Off The Subject:

Am I the only one who thinks Fujishima Kousuke (Ah My Goddess) and Akamtasu Ken (A.I. Love You) took more than a little inspiration from John Hughe's cult-classic "Weird Science" in creating their respective "Gorgeous Omnipotent Goddess Girlfriends who can literally do *anything*" that virtually dropped out of the skies into the Average-But Good Hearted Leading-Man's Life?

Old 2015-06-17, 08:24   Link #2
AntonKutovoi

Hokuto no Ken is full of references to the action movies of the 70th and 80th, like Bruce Lee movies or Mad Max.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 17:24   Link #3
Fizix
Nitpicking

Full Metal Panic is one big nod to American action TV shows and movies of the 90's (and maybe 80's). That's the most obvious one I can think of at the moment.

Wasn't the magical girl genre inspired by Bewitched?
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-17, 22:30   Link #4
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Takahashi Rumiko did frequently cite "Bewitched" as a primary source of inspiration for the supernatural screwball romantic comedy of "Urusei Yastura", and now that you mentioned it Little Witch Sally (the very first Magic Girl) riding her broom across a starry sky does have a resemblance to Samantha too!
Old 2015-06-18, 01:12   Link #5
Darthtabby

Cowboy Bebop owes a lot to various films. So does Black Lagoon.

Space Brothers has a scene where the lung capacity of astronaut candidates is tested that resembles a scene from The Right Stuff, as well as an entire episode that apparently resembles the movie October Sky.

There are several anime series that reference and/or drew inspiration from the film Roman Holiday. Writer Satoko Okudera rewatched that film as part of the process of adapting the novel Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku into a movie (known in English as "The Princess and the Pilot").
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-18, 04:12   Link #6
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Ooh, Audrey Hepburn! Apparently the team at Sunrise Studios really love her, enough to have the Elegant yet Adorable Lacus Clyne of the Gundam Seed franchise be based on her portrayal in Roman Holiday!
Old 2015-06-19, 07:48   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The female lead in REC is a Hepburn fan, and some of her movies are used as titles for the episodes.

Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai is a series of parodies of pop culture genres like Final Fantasy games, Hollywood movies, kung-fu films, etc. My favorite is probably the film noir episode; Arumi makes a knock-out torch singer.

The hentai Enspelled is derived from Bewitched.
Old 2015-06-22, 05:50   Link #8
AntonKutovoi

Kekkai Sensen is constantly making reference to the Western movies nadcomicbooks (the setting is NY, agter all). JoJo is full of musical references and also makes a direct references (like Jotaro asking Joseph about Weird Al).
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-24, 22:11   Link #9
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Gintama has referenced everything from American pop culture to Japanese/Asian culture to tropes in shonen
Old 2015-06-24, 23:22   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The GAINAX show Hanamaru Youchien had a different ED each week. My favorite is the tribute to Jean-Luc Godard's 1960 "nouvelle vague" gangster classic "A bout de souffle," or "Breathless" in English. The ED is no longer on YouTube, but the full episode is available here from Crunchy (starts at 22:00).

(The EDs are all sung by the actresses using their little-girl voices. You can tell the performer, Shindou Kei, has a mature singing voice, but she's hiding it to stay in character.)
Old 2015-06-25, 00:35   Link #11
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Really, this is common phenomenon across practically every genre of media- works of fiction, whether they are novels, movies, television, anime, video games, whatever, make references to other works of fiction both of the same and different genres, as well as events in real life. Nothing exists in a vacuum.

Its not just anime that reference western works these days, it also works in the reverse. One commonly sited examples is the Kill Bill movies.

Its also common in some smaller hidden, almost "Easter Egg" references, for instance, would the Mateba revolver- in real life a little known Italian handgun- been in Western-produced shooter games like Watch Dogs and Saints Row 4 if it had not first appeared in Ghost in the Shell?
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 08:42   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In the easter egg department, there is this now rather well-known reference to Pulp Fiction in Kill la Kill:

The Mankanshokus' truck is flying across the screen at high speed making this image easy to miss.
Old 2015-06-27, 20:01   Link #13
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The GAINAX show Hanamaru Youchien had a different ED each week. My favorite is the tribute to Jean-Luc Godard's 1960 "nouvelle vague" gangster classic "A bout de souffle," or "Breathless" in English. The ED is no longer on YouTube, but the full episode is available here from Crunchy (starts at 22:00).
That was an absolutely brilliant one, and it's also a tribute to Charles Schulz, as the foreground pianist is totally a reference to Schroeder in 'Peanuts'.

A few others that come to mind.
In the later episodes of "Pani Poni Dash", the aliens who at first appear in helmets, are seen without helmets and bear somewhat of a resemblance to the characters of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" - the captain is voiced by the voice actor who provided the voice of Jean Luc Picard in the Japanese dub. "How were they not sued?" I thought at the time.
Similarly, in an episode of "Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi", the grandfather bursts out of a room in a plaid shirt saying "I never wanted to do this. I wanted to be a lumberjack!" - and this character was voiced by the voice actor who did Michael Palin's voice in the Japanese dub of Monty Python.
The only other Python reference I can think of was that "Girls und Panzer" extra where they start doing the Spam Song.

Then there was that bizarre episode of "Kamichu" with the 'Fight Club' reference.

Last edited by Dop; 2015-06-27 at 20:16.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-28, 05:18   Link #14
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

This thread came to mind while I read reading Gakkou Gurashi! because Miki carries a copy of Stephen King's The Stand in some of the artwork:

Spoiler for Image:

Given the plot of Gakkou Gurashi! I can't think of a more apropos book to feature I can't wait for the anime adaptation!
Old 2015-06-28, 07:52   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
That was an absolutely brilliant one, and it's also a tribute to Charles Schulz, as the foreground pianist is totally a reference to Schroeder in 'Peanuts'.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. The juxtaposition of "Schroeder" with Godard seems especially strange, but then he did carry the Beethoven statue around so he might have a taste for the nouvelle vague!
Old 2015-06-28, 08:56   Link #16
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Speaking of Peanuts.
Caricature of the archetypal Shaolin-Monk aside, Toriyama-Sensei is said to have based Kurillin's character concept (and design) and Mr Schulz's long suffering bald little hero Charlie Brown as well.
Old 2015-06-28, 09:46   Link #17
aohige
Banned

Some things simply do not require any explanation.

aohige is offline   Reply With Quote