AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-06, 18:41   Link #341
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That is indeed off-topic. That being said, if I weren't already sold beforehand, this episode definitely pushed it to the top. One of the best adaptations of the genre in years... but it still won't sell. At least hopefully it gets people to buy the game, which is probably the main thing they were banking on.
That's not saying much when the genre over the last couple of years has been indistinguishable from a pile of poop, and I say this in pretty broad strokes with last season taking the cake in *bad*. It's not going to sell (how many people even gave this show the time of day?), but it should push people into the VN (I know I bought it, though I ended up liking the VN more than what I have seen so far of the anime, but I bought the product so what does it matter.) to see the other routes... which might push Manglobe to adapt another VN with the same level of finesse.

We'll need to see if sales of the VN suddenly jump.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 18:55   Link #342
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
We'll need to see if sales of the VN suddenly jump.
There was a news report early in the season that a number of stores were making special displays of the game (both PC and PSP) to support the launch of the anime, and that it appeared to be selling well, but I'm not sure if it's as easy to get detailed numbers for that industry as it is with anime, where we at least have Oricon and other standard reporting mechanisms. I generally say that the decision to adapt something into an anime is taken as a sign that the franchise is worth a look in an otherwise crowded market.

I do agree though that we tend to look at DVD/BD sales as a primary factor (which makes sense given the thread we're in ), but strong overall sales for the franchise can still make the endeavour worthwhile. Given that the overall anime DVD/BD market has not been favouring eroge adaptations for some time now (it generally had it's peak 6+ years ago), I don't think the producers approached this project expecting it to tear up the Blu-Ray sales charts... but obviously these are the things we obviously can't see as easily.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 19:04   Link #343
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Given that the overall anime DVD/BD market has not been favouring eroge adaptations for some time now (it generally had it's peak 6+ years ago), I don't think the producers approached this project expecting it to tear up the Blu-Ray sales charts... but obviously these are the things we obviously can't see as easily.
You can't really blame DVD/BR buyers for not investing in the eroge adaptations as they have, on the by and large, established themselves as inconsequential fluff, nonsense, *Too Dumb to Live* tropees, and no real story to add replay value. This is probably why some of my more personal favorite adaptations (while not at the top of any lists in terms of greatness) have been backed with some sort of deeper story (or less cliche characters) that makes me want to go back and go through the motions (Fortune Arterial being one of the few in recent years, and it could have been handled so much better than it was.) as tensions of the show are driven by more than:

if choice == 1
print Rejoice!
else
print Reject!

The VN is a better investment for your money unless the adapters take incredibly liberal paths in adapting the story and make something so phantasmagorically awesome that you must buy it. I am a fine example of that as I probably won't be buying Mashiro after having bought the VN. I like the latter more, I feel it has a more complete overall feel (obviously), and as nice as the anime was... I can get the same in the game. The only thing I'll be lacking is fancy moving animations but since I'm an avid book reader, I don't think that will bother me.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 19:55   Link #344
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 21
Don't watch Mashiro-iro, but the producers definitely had to obe banking on increased VN sales when the anime was green-lit. I mean, it's common knowledge that pure galge anime don't sale well on disc anymore. I think they'd be happy moving 2000-3000 units per volume on the disc release.

That aside, this season is going to be incredibly top heavy. I mean, summer was bad in that respect, but this is going to be Summer on steroids. P4, F/Z, WORKING, and Horizon are going to have all the sales while everything else will be lucky to get 2-3k. The only ones I can see even touching 6k are GC and Haganai, which is disappointing given the hype they both had. Unless Amazon is just understating the sales of Shana III, Ika Musume, and Last Exile.
__________________
BRAVO VINCE
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 22:25   Link #345
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 39
Anyone got the pre-sale BD/DVD numbers for this season's anime?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 21:55   Link #346
webkid94
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
That aside, this season is going to be incredibly top heavy. I mean, summer was bad in that respect, but this is going to be Summer on steroids. P4, F/Z, WORKING, and Horizon are going to have all the sales while everything else will be lucky to get 2-3k. The only ones I can see even touching 6k are GC and Haganai, which is disappointing given the hype they both had. Unless Amazon is just understating the sales of Shana III, Ika Musume, and Last Exile.
Yup, been checking Amazon stalker rankings and it's pretty much this. Shana and Guilty Crown will likely get around 4,000 DVD/BD sales while Mirai Nikki, Kimi to Boku (i guess this one isn't a surprise), C3, Ben-to, Chihayafuru are looking like they're going to go below 2,000 total. Ugh...happy for Fate/Zero, it deserves it. Can't believe Persona 4 is selling like hotcakes..the animation kinda sucks (sunburned faces is just the icing on the cake...) but the show is okay so i'm not too upset.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 14:15   Link #347
Kunagisa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Anyone got the pre-sale BD/DVD numbers for this season's anime?
I don't think those are recorded. People end up just reading each title one by one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
The only ones I can see even touching 6k are GC and Haganai, which is disappointing given the hype they both had.
Sales wise, GC is definitely the biggest bomb of the year. I don't think 11s care about the series anymore besides just to talk about it. The series drops further and further with every new episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webkid94 View Post
happy for Fate/Zero, it deserves it.
I think it would be most interesting to see how the sales compare to F/SN, which averaged like 25k per volume despite all the trash talking. Too bad we won't even get any numbers until March earliest.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 09:52   Link #348
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Sales wise, GC is definitely the biggest bomb of the year.
What about Gundam AGE? I mean obviously they didn't expect SEED level sales but... yeah.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 11:17   Link #349
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by webkid94 View Post
Can't believe Persona 4 is selling like hotcakes..the animation kinda sucks (sunburned faces is just the icing on the cake...) but the show is okay so i'm not too upset.
The game sold 200k copies. It had a large fanbase to work from. Seiyuu from the game are the same in the anime. It was just as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I think it would be most interesting to see how the sales compare to F/SN, which averaged like 25k per volume despite all the trash talking. Too bad we won't even get any numbers until March earliest.
I think they'd be aiming for at least 40k. I doubt they would want to lose to P4. It may be too much of a stretch to think they could beat Madoka's sales. But considering Garden of Sinners cracked 60k, maybe. Certainly ufotable would want to leave Deen's FSN pseudo adaptation in the dust and secure a deal for Witch on the Holy Night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
What about Gundam AGE? I mean obviously they didn't expect SEED level sales but... yeah.
AGE would definitely be one. Nichijou and Fractale should also be categorised as such.
__________________

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2011-12-19 at 11:35.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 12:26   Link #350
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I think they'd be aiming for at least 40k. I doubt they would want to lose to P4. It may be too much of a stretch to think they could beat Madoka's sales. But considering Garden of Sinners cracked 60k, maybe. Certainly ufotable would want to leave Deen's FSN pseudo adaptation in the dust and secure a deal for Witch on the Holy Night.
If this breaks records or at least does very, very well (which I cannot see not being the case), they could re-adapt Fate/Stay Night on any of the routes (maybe give UBW a proper adaptation, or give Heaven's Feel an actual adaptation) and, if given the same quality, break the old records too. There's so much to work with...
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 12:51   Link #351
Kunagisa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
What about Gundam AGE? I mean obviously they didn't expect SEED level sales but... yeah.
I don't want to write AGE off yet, the 2nd Gen looks pretty promising, whether that will save the rest I don't know. GC ... well it can still save itself too, but I don't think there are enough of a fanbase to sit around and wait for it to get good again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
AGE would definitely be one. Nichijou and Fractale should also be categorised as such.
Thanks for bringing up these two.

I keep forgetting about Fractale cause I completely raged out when I saw how disgusting the character look compared to Hidari's. I wouldn't be surprised that GC ends up around same average/volume as Nichijou (let's hope I'm wrong about this though).

I don't think F/Z can hit 40k, that's kinda ridiculous number, you can probably join the other titles on the hall of fame if that's the case.

Dug up some numbers (so F/SN did better than I thought)

Quote:
順位/放送/先発単B累平/後発単B累平/後混B/【累平】/単巻最大巻数/タイトル
*1位 1995 2 - 111,558 .2 3 59,542 - --,--- 171,101 14 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン
*2位 2005 1 1 120,036 .1 1 50,441 - --,--- 170,478 *4 The World of GOLDEN EGGS (1・2期)
*3位 1979 - 1 28,078 - 1 53,652 - --,--- 81,730 11 機動戦士ガンダム
*4位 2004 1 - 68,732 - 1 10,392 - --,--- 79,124 13 機動戦士ガンダムSEED DESTINY
*5位 2009 2 - 78,671 - - --,--- - --,--- 78,671 *6 化物語
*6混 2006 1 - 41,037 - - --,--- 1 34,000 75,037 *8 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱
*7位 2002 1 - 58,589 - 1 12,545 - --,--- 71,134 13 機動戦士ガンダムSEED
*8位 2011 2 - 69,551 - - --,--- - --,--- 69,551 *6 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ
*9位 1993 2 - *5,533 2 - 52,156 - --,--- 57,689 *1 * 海がきこえる
10混 2009 1 - 19,052 - - --,--- 1 34,000 53,052 *8 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 (新)
11位 1996 - 1 31,696 1 - 21,227 - --,--- 52,923 11 ドラゴンボールGT
12混 2003 1 - 36,511 - - --,--- 1 16,381 52,892 13 鋼の錬金術師
13位 1985 - 1 20,307 - 1 32,370 - --,--- 52,678 13 機動戦士Zガンダム
14位 2006 1 - 45,367 1 - *2,304 - --,--- 47,671 *9 コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ
15位 2008 2 - 46,146 - - --,--- - --,--- 46,146 *9 マクロスFrontier
16位 1998 3 - 16,768 - 2 28,304 - --,--- 45,072 *9 カウボーイビバップ
17位 2009 2 - 43,883 - - --,--- - --,--- 43,883 *7 けいおん!
18位 2006 1 - 36,318 2 - *7,462 - --,--- 43,780 *1 * 攻殻機動隊 STAND ALONE COMPLEX Solid State Society
19混 2007 1 - 33,480 1 - *5,032 1 *5,184 43,697 *7 機動戦士ガンダム00
20位 2008 2 - 42,690 - - --,--- - --,--- 42,690 *9 コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ R2
21混 1996 2 - 29,035 1 - **,792 2 11,957 41,785 *7 機動戦艦ナデシコ
22位 1989 - 1 18,620 1 - 21,887 - --,--- 40,507 49 ドラゴンボールZ
23混 2008 1 - 34,601 - - --,--- 1 *5,184 39,785 *7 機動戦士ガンダム00 セカンドシーズン
24位 2010 2 - 39,385 - - --,--- - --,--- 39,385 *9 けいおん!!
25混 2007 1 - 29,146 - - --,--- 1 *8,524 37,670 12 らき☆すた
26位 1978 - 1 24,604 1 1 12,766 - --,--- 37,370 *7 未来少年コナン
暫定 1999 2 - *3,032 - 1 33,926 - --,--- 36,958 56 ONE PIECE (1~130話,144~195話・BELLまで)
27位 1995 2 - 18,086 - 3 17,540 - --,--- 35,627 13 新機動戦記ガンダムW
28混 1971 - 1 29,543 - - --,--- 1 *5,761 35,304 ** ルパン三世 first-TV.
29位 1990 * - **,*** * 3 34,759 - --,--- 34,759 ** ふしぎの海のナディア
30位 2008 1 - *7,767 1 - 26,507 - --,--- 34,274 *1 ファイアボール
31位 2010 2 - 34,107 - - --,--- - --,--- 34,107 *7 Angel Beats!
32位 2006 1 - 26,047 - 2 *7,811 - --,--- 33,858 *8 Fate/stay night
33位 2011 2 - 33,651 - - --,--- - --,--- 33,651 *6 IS<インフィニット・ストラトス>
34混 1990 2 - 21,810 - 3 *7,699 1 *2,388 31,897 16 機動警察パトレイバー TVシリーズ
This is back October.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 13:10   Link #352
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Thanks for bringing up these two.

I keep forgetting about Fractale cause I completely raged out when I saw how disgusting the character look compared to Hidari's. I wouldn't be surprised that GC ends up around same average/volume as Nichijou (let's hope I'm wrong about this though).
Fractale was better when it was called Nadia of the Blue Water in 1990, when a young Hideaki Anno directed it and snared 30k average sales. Couple that with Yakaman declaring Fractale would be THE series and being nowhere near that - it deserves to be condemned.

Guilty Crown is atypical of what has begun to frustrate me about Production I.G. - they don't have an understanding of the current market. Ghost in the Shell and Library Wars were years ago now. They now seem to have a tendency for their bigger titles to bomb in sales.

Quote:
don't think F/Z can hit 40k, that's kinda ridiculous number, you can probably join the other titles on the hall of fame if that's the case.
Depends on how they market it during the break. Late in the 2nd novel is where things became more reverred with the light novel readers, which was Episode 11. There's already notable F/Z merchandise being pushed for advertising - Good Smile will be a big part of that. And there's the established fanbase of Type-Moon fans. Newer fans will be won over to F/Z for somewhat different reasons to the FSN adaptation, though. I dare to think that a series with mostly adults - with a majority of men - can sell big at this time. It could remind people moe girls and bishie boys aren't always compulsory to rake in the profits. I recall hearing pre-orders were 23k a bit over a month ago? There's considerable time to March and once December spending has been done and people get money back, F/Z will be ready to strike. Waiting that long is a gamble, but then again, avoiding a release when P4, Working S2, Horizon and co. are ready to dominate - smart move. January season doesn't look as strong. Although SHAFT's next salvo is a threat.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 14:19   Link #353
Kunagisa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Depends on how they market it during the break. Late in the 2nd novel is where things became more reverred with the light novel readers, which was Episode 11. There's already notable F/Z merchandise being pushed for advertising - Good Smile will be a big part of that. And there's the established fanbase of Type-Moon fans. Newer fans will be won over to F/Z for somewhat different reasons to the FSN adaptation, though. I dare to think that a series with mostly adults - with a majority of men - can sell big at this time. It could remind people moe girls and bishie boys aren't always compulsory to rake in the profits. I recall hearing pre-orders were 23k a bit over a month ago? There's considerable time to March and once December spending has been done and people get money back, F/Z will be ready to strike. Waiting that long is a gamble, but then again, avoiding a release when P4, Working S2, Horizon and co. are ready to dominate - smart move. January season doesn't look as strong. Although SHAFT's next salvo is a threat.
I usually follow TM discussion on other forums/boards, but there are always clear distinction between TM fans, F/Z fans, and F/SN fans there, so I don't think you can lump all of them together to rally for sales. TM fans in particular had been really harsh about the series, I remember a raging storm back episode 11 for how crappy that episode was (this is just an example to distinguish between the groups, not to discuss that episode).

Sales wise, I don't think splitting cours or going against other series would have made much differences. If a series is qualified, it will sell regardless of the competitors. I'm not quite sure where the 23k number come from, so no comment on that. 2ch is pretty skeptical that F/Z could beat IS on sales just from stalker points (IS is kinda = to F/SN). Considering IS is now the hall of fame dividing line (base on the fact that the story has next to 0 merit outside of entertainment value, so it is the "lowest point" among all the successful sales), I hope F/Z could at least get close to that.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 14:35   Link #354
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 23
I think FZ would only sell around 15-20k BD-Box if we looking from stalker without being sensationalist.

Although TYPE-MOON fan is very very and very loyal (and royal)

By logic if Kara no Kyoukai could hit that big, why not for F/Z?
__________________

Last edited by fertygo; 2011-12-19 at 15:00. Reason: should type this way in first place >_>
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 14:41   Link #355
Kunagisa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
By logic if Rakkyou could hit that big, why not for F/Z?
What's Rakkyou
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 14:57   Link #356
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
What's Rakkyou
Kara no Kyoukai, little typo there for the synonyms.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 15:08   Link #357
Kunagisa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Kara no Kyoukai, little typo there for the synonyms.
Oooh, KnK's so much cheaper overall though (even though F/Z per BD is pretty cheap in comparison). I mean the commitment is lower so it's more accessible as a collectible (even for "casuals"), buying an entire boxset/half a series at once has its difficulty just mentally let alone financially.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 15:29   Link #358
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Oooh, KnK's so much cheaper overall though (even though F/Z per BD is pretty cheap in comparison). I mean the commitment is lower so it's more accessible as a collectible (even for "casuals"), buying an entire boxset/half a series at once has its difficulty just mentally let alone financially.
KnK not having established "names" as much as F/Z though to support it (dear god.. I have better wording for this and its gone from my head after awhile >_>), yet its already gaining success even in singular DVD's format (50-60k+ per copies)

Its still intriguing question if F/Z can reach that number even if it released in more simple format too.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 15:42   Link #359
Kunagisa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
KnK not having established "names" as much as F/Z though to support it (dear god.. I have better wording for this and its gone from my head after awhile >_>), yet its already gaining success even in singular DVD's format (50-60k+ per copies)

Its still intriguing question if F/Z can reach that number even if it released in more simple format too.
That kinda goes with what I'm was saying though, I think the KnK are the TM fans, and F/Z doesn't have the entirety of the TM based support (with the most hype coming from non-TM fans). As for the original content, isn't one by Nasu and the other one by Gen (I haven't not read either one)? Someone told me that KnK is total around 1500 pages for 3 volumes, and it's around the same for F/Z over 6 volumes. If this is true, then there are more stuff packed into per volume of KnK than F/Z (I only brought this up because of the filler thing for F/Z was another point that got ding'ed on).

I too do wish UFOTable didn't do the whole box thingy though, would've been more interesting this way at least from sales perspective.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 16:01   Link #360
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
That kinda goes with what I'm was saying though, I think the KnK are the TM fans, and F/Z doesn't have the entirety of the TM based support (with the most hype coming from non-TM fans). As for the original content, isn't one by Nasu and the other one by Gen (I haven't not read either one)? Someone told me that KnK is total around 1500 pages for 3 volumes, and it's around the same for F/Z over 6 volumes. If this is true, then there are more stuff packed into per volume of KnK than F/Z (I only brought this up because of the filler thing for F/Z was another point that got ding'ed on).
I'm very doubting TM fans "critiques" and bashing actually affect the sales in negative way, considering DEEN's F/SN and UBW numbers, UFOtable certainly doing better job, and they should know as rabid fan the box will have the uncut episode and more content anyway.

My point about KnK, that's just uber "minor"novel by nasu before it got re-released after all the hit, if compared to F/Z that direct tie-in for actual TM blockbuster its certainly different.
Quote:
I too do wish UFOTable didn't do the whole box thingy though, would've been more interesting this way at least from sales perspective.
I doubt this is UFOtable decision.
__________________
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
news, sales, statistics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.