AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-12-20, 18:50   Link #381
cyth
ふひひ

What LN isn't suitable for anime media? All the new authors are aiming for animeka anyway!
Old 2011-12-20, 19:39   Link #382
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Some of you need take this into your account. Sales =/= Quality/Hype.
This a thousand times over.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 19:59   Link #383
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Though Sales = Money and Money = Success, which equals more of the same.
Old 2011-12-20, 21:49   Link #384
zato_1one

You like the series but it's not profitable so there is no new season...

No matter what you say, the sales are still relevant to every anime.
Old 2011-12-20, 22:27   Link #385
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

What fertygo is saying is that just because something is hyped or well received, doesn't guarantee it to have good sales.

A good example is Ikoku Meiro no Croisée; every one I know loves it, but apparently just not enough to buy it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 07:38   Link #386
hyl
sneaking like a cat

I disagree with sales=/= hype. The serie must have had some hype in order to sell very well, even if the hype was in restrospect overhyped
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 10:00   Link #387
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I disagree with sales=/= hype. The serie must have had some hype in order to sell very well, even if the hype was in restrospect overhyped
In this shady market you will never know, sometime one yuri scene can make 2ch and sales explode.
Or thing like Tiger & Bunny that Sunrise don't even give it a damn to promote it properly in pre-airing suddenly became one of hottest properties.
Old 2011-12-21, 20:41   Link #388
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Exactly, people acting like 20-25k is bad need to get their damn head checked. It's also not like sales figures have any bearing on the future of the Fate/Zero franchise since these 2 seasons will cover all the light novel material. It's not a Bacanno situation where there's heaps of LNs after the anime covered and because it sold poorly we'll never see them adapted. It's kinda sad if people just want it to beat F/SN just due to the DEEN factor, like adapting a light novel isn't easier than a vn with multiple routes in the first place..
No, I was taking it more from the perspective that if F/Z sells high, Nasu might finally be compelled to finish Witch on the Holy Night so that ufotable would have something else to adapt!

And yes, I know that sales and quality are polar opposites. Take one look at my faves list - hardly a big seller in sight amongst my fave 20. Personally I love the Madhouse philosophy and what they animate - but they're always walking a tightrope financially. They were on the verge of losing the right to do TV series last year due to how low their sales in that area were.

This is a sales driven industry. ufotable want to be a bigger player in the market. And since they were able to garner 60k sales for the Garden of Sinners movie boxset - which was damn impressive - there is somewhat a pressure/expectancy for them to be able to deliver a similar quality within a TV budget and get befitting sales. You can't be big without aiming high and keeping a standard. Sunrise and Toei have been doing it for decades. No reason someone else can't join them. Not grouping KyoAni or Shaft with those two because I wouldn't consider them long-term yet.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2011-12-21 at 20:53.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 21:55   Link #389
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
No, I was taking it more from the perspective that if F/Z sells high, Nasu might finally be compelled to finish Witch on the Holy Night so that ufotable would have something else to adapt!
You think so? It's actually the continued popularity of Fate/Stay Night that has given Type-Moon little incentive to release a new work.

They've been riding the wave for years via adaptations, spin-offs, and licensed merchandise. Since Fate is still hot (and a successful Fate/Zero anime would further bolster the property), there's no pressure to finish Witch on the Holy Night.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 22:19   Link #390
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Incidentally, just to put a little end to this side-tangent, in fact the release date Witch on the Holy Night was just announced, and it's arriving in April 2012. More info is surely in another thread somewhere, and is probably better discussed there.
Old 2011-12-22, 05:23   Link #391
zato_1one

Quote:
And yes, I know that sales and quality are polar opposites.
I highly disagree with this. Sales and quality can be on the same side.
Old 2011-12-22, 06:00   Link #392
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
They have Prisma Ilya, as well as Tsukihime and Heaven's Feel

I also think they announced plans for Girl's Work, outside Nasu-verse, but I have no clue what happened with that
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 10:12   Link #393
gebleg

Send a message via Yahoo to gebleg
Quote:
I highly disagree with this. Sales and quality can be on the same side.
Not always, well that depends on what kind of quality anime(storywise,etc)you preferred&it's kind of subjective anyway for every person. But, yeah I agree that there's some titles that has a good/great qualities that also sell very well(at least for me), such as FMA(the original/2005 ver), GiTS SAC, Evangelion, Madoka Magica, etc and the recent F/Z(predictably it's going to sell well, too since it's one of the main blockbuster titles this season beside P4, Working&Horizon). Unless you don't like those series(to each of his/her own), but there's no way objectively you can say that those series are bad/crap right.
gebleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-22, 15:07   Link #394
lighto13
Zero Knight

i think some ppl in this thread are underestimating just how popular F/Z is. im quite knowledgeable about Type Moon, being that I am a loyal Type Moon fan and part of online forum boards in English, Japanese, and Korean websites.
F/Z is no doubt THE most popular tv anime series in Japan right now, and Type Moon is one of the best selling franchises in the industry. even just the name Type Moon sells a lot due to its very loyal fanbase and name, and the best example of this is KnK.
KnK was not well known before the movies, and ufotable was an unknown studio at the time. still, due to the quality and especially the name Type Moon, it sold over 50k-60k in every volume. for a relatively unknown studio and original material, this is incredible success.
even besides KnK, the DEEN adaptation of FSN and UBW movie sold VERY well despite the lack of quality. in the VN industry, everyone knows Type Moon is one of the top selling studios, if not the best selling, even just based on the numbers. for a studio that has only released two major games and bunch of spinoffs, novels, etc., this is clearly indicates that Type Moon by itself is a major selling point. i think someone said something about F/Z fans being split from FSN fans and Type Moon fans, but i have to disagree with this one.
the adaptation of F/Z into anime only set the trend of ufotable x Type Moon anime collaborations, and everyone who watched KnK, as well as Type Moon fans, knew that F/Z was gonna have incredible quality even before the first episode and this only strengthens F/Z's popularity.
still, being a box-set, its hard to immediately claim F/Z is going to sell like madoka, but i expect no less than 40k in sales for F/Z due to just how popular Type Moon is.
considering Mahoutsukai no Yoru, the next Type Moon game, was just announced to be released on April 12 2012, just in time for part 2 of F/Z, blu ray sales for F/Z part 2 is probably going to be even greater than part 1, since there would be more fans and even greater popularity with the release of Mahoyo. F/Z is without a doubt going to be the best selling series of 2012. i just wanted to mention this since some ppl on this thread seems to underestimate just how popular Type Moon is and just how well it sells.
ppl can look through this thread and check the numbers of type moon series.
lighto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 03:57   Link #395
cyth
ふひひ

So Horizon vol.1 sold over 16k. As expected. http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-6204.html
Old 2011-12-28, 01:23   Link #396
Westlo
Lets be reality

The Bake Bluray Boxset sold nearly as many copies as the DVDs average sales for its 2009 run (so much for DVDs shouldn't count as said by some Madoka fans in regards to Bake Vs Madoka sales), but what's really interesting is that Toradora wasn't far off from doubling its initial run avg, shows the power of good word of mouth I guess.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 02:04   Link #397
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
The Bake Bluray Boxset sold nearly as many copies as the DVDs average sales for its 2009 run (so much for DVDs shouldn't count as said by some Madoka fans in regards to Bake Vs Madoka sales), but what's really interesting is that Toradora wasn't far off from doubling its initial run avg, shows the power of good word of mouth I guess.
I think that may be part of it, but also keep in mind that Bakemonogatari had an initial run on Blu-Ray, while Toradora was previously DVD-only. So there may have been a bunch of people who were thinking of buying it but figured they'd wait for the Blu-Rays, and there are also people like myself who "double-dipped". The presence of an OVA sweetens the pot a bit as well. All in all, I guess I'd say that Bakemonogatari was mostly for people who missed the Blu-Rays the first time, whereas Toradora is potentially of interest to everyone. (Edit: I also think the fact that Bakemonogatari has a sequel coming probably helps it that much more than Toradora, for which this is basically the end of the line. It's an interesting comparison point, in either case.)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-12-28 at 02:51.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 06:34   Link #398
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebleg View Post
Not always, well that depends on what kind of quality anime(storywise,etc)you preferred&it's kind of subjective anyway for every person. But, yeah I agree that there's some titles that has a good/great qualities that also sell very well(at least for me), such as FMA(the original/2005 ver), GiTS SAC, Evangelion, Madoka Magica, etc and the recent F/Z(predictably it's going to sell well, too since it's one of the main blockbuster titles this season beside P4, Working&Horizon). Unless you don't like those series(to each of his/her own), but there's no way objectively you can say that those series are bad/crap right.
Well, you said it yourself, it's all subjective. The sales to indicated that more people find the work more interesting and prefer it over another and also more likely that the more people consider the "crappy" series the better series compare to what you or Last Sinner considers as good.

Case in point, using your FMA example, most Japanese fans actually consider Brotherhood the better of the two (me included). In case you didn't know, 2005 version is NOT the original and poeple's biggest problem with it was that the story deviates from the manga (the real original) which caused many inconsistencies and pacing issue toward the end and it also ends with that crappy movie.
Old 2011-12-28, 10:54   Link #399
gebleg

Send a message via Yahoo to gebleg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
In case you didn't know, 2005 version is NOT the original and poeple's biggest problem with it was that the story deviates from the manga (the real original) which caused many inconsistencies and pacing issue toward the end and it also ends with that crappy movie.
Oh I know it's NOT the real original, i'm just mention it as one example(beside to diffrentiate it with Brotherhood, many people call it the original/first series anyway), and i also think that the manga(Brotherhood/the real original)is better, but the 2005 ones were quite good/ok tho, compared to many others original anime-filler series. Beside how many people who already collect the 2005 ver willing to spend another yen to collect all those 63eps unless you're not trully a huuge fan&have some money to spare. But, just like what you said anyway although Brotherhood sells less than 2005 ver doesn't mean that it's bad compared to it, and so on.
Well, anything considering sales&quality is kind of subjective anyway for each person.

Btw, surprise&happy to see Toradora bd-box sold that well. It's still one of my fav rom-com anime til today. Now let's see whether Nise'll be able to surpass Bake or not in terms of selling, considering not many sequel can do that.
gebleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 13:23   Link #400
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Well, you said it yourself, it's all subjective. The sales to indicated that more people find the work more interesting and prefer it over another and also more likely that the more people consider the "crappy" series the better series compare to what you or Last Sinner considers as good.
Marketing is a primary - if not the primary - trait of sales and always has been. Be it building on existing fanbases from original source material, generating merchandise to spread the word, building on a studio brand and its inherent fanbase, using more popular seiyuus/directors/writers and their existing fanbases - marketing can make up for a lot of shortcomings if you have the angle and type of content to work from.

Taste is subjective and people are the sum of their own individual experiences which people will always differ on. So be it, lest the freedom to choice what one likes within the modern world be lost. But I still attest sales and quality are rarely allies.

Tags
news, sales, statistics