AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-06, 20:02   Link #501
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ¯\(º_o)/¯
+1 for the data and discussion seperation. It'd make it relatively easier and much quicker to access the information you want, not to mention it'll be like having a neatly organisd archives.
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 20:05   Link #502
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Yet everytime new data appears people will probably start discussing it there.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 20:20   Link #503
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Yet everytime new data appears people will probably start discussing it there.
Simple to solve. Keep the thread locked until new data comes out and open it for the OP to post or have a mod post the new data in it. (It's what I did, and am about to do with the "All about Haruhi 2010" thread (which should be re-named 2012 soon).)
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 22:37   Link #504
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Well, if we do the split, my proposal would be that the only data for the "data" thread would be the big year-to-date summaries like eggplant has always done, which would be a cumulative summary of all the weekly/regular sales data. The week-to-week sales data can be posted in the discussion thread and hashed out from week to week, and will eventually make its way to the cumulative data once eggplant gets to it (as he's always done).

Anyway, will discuss it him and see if he's okay with the proposal.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 22:44   Link #505
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, if we do the split, my proposal would be that the only data for the "data" thread would be the big year-to-date summaries like eggplant has always done, which would be a cumulative summary of all the weekly/regular sales data. The week-to-week sales data can be posted in the discussion thread and hashed out from week to week, and will eventually make its way to the cumulative data once eggplant gets to it (as he's always done).

Anyway, will discuss it him and see if he's okay with the proposal.
Great idea. That sounds ideal to me as well. Long before I started posting in this thread with some regularity, I found eggplant's yearly summaries very helpful and informative. They were great for putting a full year in perspective, and allowing for comprehensive year-by-year comparisons.

The weekly sales charts are nice, but probably better for more active, ongoing, "free-wheeling" discussion, agreed.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 22:45   Link #506
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
*Stares at results for Chihayafuru, Shana, etc...*

This makes me very upset.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 22:58   Link #507
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
*Stares at results for Chihayafuru, Shana, etc...*

This makes me very upset.
Well at least chihayafuru airs in a timeslot where tv ratings matter,kaiji got itself a S2 even though it wasn't much of a dvd seller
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 23:56   Link #508
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well at least chihayafuru airs in a timeslot where tv ratings matter,kaiji got itself a S2 even though it wasn't much of a dvd seller
Kaiji S2's purpose was to promote the live action movie. Kaiji 2 movie made $19 million (about 1.5 billion yen). The existence of the anime was thus justified.

And on those archives - would it be possible to have a small section of it contain confirmed budget figures, since there is an interest?
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 01:36   Link #509
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Really, the only way I can see a S2 in Chihayafuru right now is either that manga sale really jumps or that it gets a live action drama/movie treatment with some top idol cast.

It's rating isn't blowing up the time slot and the DVD/BD sales is on the bubble at best, the manga sale-increase is also just marginal, so things aren't looking too good so far, but, it isn't bad enough that there is no chance.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 04:42   Link #510
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Really, the only way I can see a S2 in Chihayafuru right now is either that manga sale really jumps or that it gets a live action drama/movie treatment with some top idol cast.

It's rating isn't blowing up the time slot and the DVD/BD sales is on the bubble at best, the manga sale-increase is also just marginal, so things aren't looking too good so far, but, it isn't bad enough that there is no chance.
Isn't it already scheduled to do 25 episodes? Dates for eps 13 and 14 were already set a fair while back. 13 aired this week.

This is a fairly typical result for Madhouse. They have historically been a studio aiming to do what they feel is quality and not populist or mainstream, but always walk a financial tightrope as a consequence. Josei/shoujo have usually struggled in anime. This was always a risky project to take on.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 05:36   Link #511
TJR
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Isn't it already scheduled to do 25 episodes? Dates for eps 13 and 14 were already set a fair while back. 13 aired this week.
Yes, but by definition, the second half is still part of the same season.

Quote:
This is a fairly typical result for Madhouse. They have historically been a studio aiming to do what they feel is quality and not populist or mainstream, but always walk a financial tightrope as a consequence. Josei/shoujo have usually struggled in anime. This was always a risky project to take on.
It's merely contract work for NTV (their current owner and previously one of their main clients). These collaborations tend to be fairly decent, but they're by no means priorities for the studio, nor do they get a ton of love on the production side. Madhouse doesn't even invest in them, so there's no money to be made (and ideally, little to lose).

Madhouse focuses on pet projects, while everything else is filler to tide them over. With the latter, quality can be all over the map (and the lows are sometimes very low, such as Chaos;Head. That the NTV shows are adequately supported is probably more a reflection of NTV than anything else), depending on the assignment.

That said, the priorities will probably change now that NTV has acquired them. It's no coincidence that their president and key directors have all left the company.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 10:52   Link #512
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Kaiji S2's purpose was to promote the live action movie. Kaiji 2 movie made $19 million (about 1.5 billion yen). The existence of the anime was thus justified.
Yeah that too (and hell a good portion of the airtime was dedicated to the movie)

I guess what I meant was what Undertaker said,manga sale increase and/or live action adaptation could lead to a S2 (not saying it'll happen)
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 15:34   Link #513
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I think the Manabi Line has lost its original meaning (or, well, people have been using the expression without really knowing what it was originally). People now tend to assume that the Manabi Line = break-even point, which can indeed be guessed to be around 4k-5k units for your average series. As the name suggests, though, it is originally the 2,899 mark, but this precise number doesn't bear that much meaning. (Maybe it did when Manabi was released?)
The Manabi line was originally created to mock fans of the show/mock the show, like the frt (fractale). It gained the whole "break even point" psuedo-meaning later.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 18:55   Link #514
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
*Stares at results for Chihayafuru, Shana, etc...*

This makes me very upset.
It's not like it matters for Shana 3, at least it will get finished since it was the final season. As for Chihayafuru... well I never expected it to sell that good anyway, just be thankful it wasn't on noitaminA... that way you get 24/25 episodes instead of 11.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 06:30   Link #515
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Okay just an update that, per our earlier discussion in this thread, I've now moved the cumulative sales reports to their own thread. That thread is only to be used for eggplant's annual (regularly-updated) posts; all other posts and data should be posted in this thread. Hopefully that will make this valuable current and historical data easier to find for everyone.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 13:18   Link #516
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
- Idolmaster (with Gravure for You Bundle for most copies) = 23,587 (2 volumes). This one is a bit iffy - the majority of Idolmaster anime volumes were purcahsed along with the Gravure for You game. So it's hard to tell whether the game fuelled most of the sales or if they will persist without the game. Currently #27 on the list but that will likely change.
You really don't know what Gravure 4 U is, right? It's not actually a game. We don't know how much the game bundle sold. G4U is glorified DLC, ALL anime volumes come bundled with it.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 13:26   Link #517
Flower
Cute as a button! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In a Half-broken music box....
Hmm ... a quick glance through eggplant's recent post shows Hanasaku Iroha, Madoka and Steins Gate as good sellers. No surprise there.

Other good sellers appear to have been IS, Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji LOVE 1000% and esp Ano Hana.
Flower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 13:33   Link #518
hyl
zomg
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
You really don't know what Gravure 4 U is, right? It's not actually a game. We don't know how much the game bundle sold. G4U is glorified DLC, ALL anime volumes come bundled with it.
It's like a bonus disc for the ps3 in which it has some kind of snapshot mode where the player can take pictures of the characters in different outfits (outfits are different in every disc). So in short you can consider the g4u bundles like a regular limited edition version of an anime , because you are actually buying the dvd or blu-ray (even though most fans buy it for the g4u though)
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 16:59   Link #519
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Isn't it already scheduled to do 25 episodes? Dates for eps 13 and 14 were already set a fair while back. 13 aired this week.

This is a fairly typical result for Madhouse. They have historically been a studio aiming to do what they feel is quality and not populist or mainstream, but always walk a financial tightrope as a consequence. Josei/shoujo have usually struggled in anime. This was always a risky project to take on.
You misunderstood me, it is only a different season unless there is break in it. Fo example there is only 2 seasons of K-On first on being 1-cour and second one is 2-cour.

I agree on the Madhouse part. However, I disagree on the Shojo/josei anime. Nadome, Nana, Kimi ni Todoke were all husge success. Maid-sama, Ouran, Lovely Complex all achieve decent success. Even female-target LN adaption had good success in Marimite and Saiunkoku Monogatari.

Problems with Josei/Shoujo adaption of part few years is completely different issue IMO and a different topic, IMO.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 09:31   Link #520
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
It's like a bonus disc for the ps3 in which it has some kind of snapshot mode where the player can take pictures of the characters in different outfits (outfits are different in every disc). So in short you can consider the g4u bundles like a regular limited edition version of an anime , because you are actually buying the dvd or blu-ray (even though most fans buy it for the g4u though)
Err... I know that. But nobody would buy it for G4U alone. Unless you want the anime, you won't be buying the bundle. It's not worth 90 dollars. In G4U Vol 1 you already have everything G4U has to offer. Maybe if they actually changed poses and dialogue I could see people buying the bundle for G4U alone, but they don't. Either way, your reply is irrelevant to my original post. This is what I was replying to:

>So it's hard to tell whether the game fuelled most of the sales or if they will persist without the game.

There is no Idolm@ster volume released without a G4U Bundle.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
news, sales, statistics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.