AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-02, 12:33   Link #721
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
That's actually pretty interesting since people have been comparing Madoka with Evangelion for a while (the next big thing, deconstruction of genres). I doubt though that Madoka will get close to Eva sales since not only will Eva have a bigger theater count, it's admittedly the most popular original anime ever made in Japan.
The Madoka recap movies will be lucky to even sell half of Eva 2.0 let alone what monstrous numbers 3.0 and 4.0 will output. Doubt the 3rd Madoka movie will be anywhere near them.

Kizu should outsell the Madoka recap movies with ease, will be interesting too see Kizu vs Madoka Movie 3 though.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 18:03   Link #722
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm sure Madhouse is getting some reward from the manga publisher, because increased manga sales were likely the main goal of the anime in the first place.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 01:26   Link #723
TJR

Madhouse never invested in the show, so there was nothing to gain or lose (except the probability of a second season).

NTV, on the other hand, took on the risk despite their inability to attract adequate sponsorship.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 13:19   Link #724
Kirarakim

Unfortunately there is limited time for TV airings for anime but I think Chihayafuru was never going to succeed at the time slot it was on.

If it was on in the weekend mornings it might have caught more of an audience even if its sales were still low but late at night it was bound to fail.

I am glad to hear manga sales went up though, that does give me a little hope for a second season.
Old 2012-06-03, 13:37   Link #725
totoum
Oppai warrior

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
If it was on in the weekend mornings it might have caught more of an audience even if its sales were still low but late at night it was bound to fail
Still sales are not the only thing that timeslot is concerned about,maybe if a live action chihayafuru project happens there could be a 2nd anime season to with it,like what happened to Kaiji.
Old 2012-06-03, 16:44   Link #726
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Still sales are not the only thing that timeslot is concerned about,maybe if a live action chihayafuru project happens there could be a 2nd anime season to with it,like what happened to Kaiji.
Well that is what I was ultimately saying. Chihayayfuru is not traditionally a series that does well in sales but I think it could have done better in ratings if it was put on a better time slot. But oh well!

It would be a nice if a live action project or the increase in manga sales lead to another series. I am hopeful for that.
Old 2012-06-12, 16:29   Link #727
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Copied the June 4 to 10 Blu-Ray and DVD rankings from MAL

Blu-ray
*1, 99,162 99,162 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5
*2, *6,516 *6,516 Mouretsu Pirates vol.4 Limited Edition
*3, *3,631 *3,631 Amagami SS+ plus vol.3
*4, *2,464 *2,464 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.4
*5, *1,399 49,480 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*6, *1,368 *1,368 Acchi Kocchi vol.1
*7, *1,366 19,850 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*8, **,930 **,930 Sengoku Collection vol.1
*9, **,804 18,754 Persona 4 The Animation vol.7 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 46,287 *,*46,287 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.5
*2, *2,472 *,**2,472 One Piece 14th Season vol.9
*3, *2,037 *,**2,037 Sengoku Collection vol.1
*4, *1,073 *,**1,073 Naruto: Shippuuden Senjo no Paradise Life vol.4
*5, *1,030 *,**1,030 Amagami SS+ plus vol.3
*6, **,938 *,**8,731 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*7, **,766 1,138,952 My Neighbor Totoro
*8, **,640 *,***,640 Acchi Kocchi vol.1
*9. **,494 *,***,494 Fairy Tail vol.29
10, **,491 *,***,491 Jewelpet Sunshine DVD Box vol.3
11, **,489 *,**3,031 Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago
12, **,469 *,*11,995 Gintama' vol.11 Limited Edition
13, **,385 *,**1,150 Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou vol.3 Limited Edition
14, **,355 *,***,673 Digimon Adventure: Bokura no War Game
15, **,347 *,***,347 Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! vol.3
16, **,293 *,***,293 Kill Me Baby vol.4
17, **,291 *,***,291 Mouretsu Pirates vol.7
18, **,281 *,**4,159 Sore Ike! Anpanman Ongakukan

Gundam Unicorn certainly does amazing sales!
Mouretsu Pirates still doing solid in BD sales.
Looks like Acchi Kocchi and Sengoku Collection are both sales flops. 2,000 combined for Acchi Kocchi's first volume and just barely short of 3k combined for Sengoku Collection(2k of which is DVD).
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 17:28   Link #728
totoum
Oppai warrior

I'm still trying to understand why the hell Sengoku Collection sells more DVDs than blu rays.

I wouldn't call 3K a flop , just something decent,it's not like there's a crazy budget going into it.
Old 2012-06-12, 17:34   Link #729
ZODDGUTS

Good to see Berserk bomb somewhat. Don't support mediocre adaptations folks.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 17:36   Link #730
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Quote:
I'm still trying to understand why the hell Sengoku Collection sells more DVDs than blu rays.
I think for the bonuses (most likely for the code for unlocking a virtual card of a game that i don't play and an actual promo card) and the dvd version is cheaper than the bd version (depending on the shop between 1000-1300 yen).
My reason for thinking it's likely for the code for the cardgame: look at the crazy sales of the im@s cinderella cd's.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 17:52   Link #731
totoum
Oppai warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I think for the bonuses (most likely for the code for unlocking a virtual card of a game that i don't play and an actual promo card) and the dvd version is cheaper than the bd version (depending on the shop between 1000-1300 yen).
The code only comes with the dvd and not the blu ray?If so that's an odd marketing choice.
Blu rays always cost more than dvds it doesn't usually stop fans from getting the former rather than the latter.
Old 2012-06-12, 17:59   Link #732
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Quote:
The code only comes with the dvd and not the blu ray?If so that's an odd marketing choice.
Blu rays always cost more than dvds it doesn't usually stop fans from getting the former rather than the latter.
No they came in both version, but some people were probably primarily buying it for that code so it makes more sense to buy the cheaper version.
Like in the case of the im@s cinderella cd's, the virtual cards could level up into one with higher stats if you fused it with the same card (or however it was done). So people bought multiple copies of the cd's for that reason.

But then again it's just my theory, because i haven't seen any serie that included codes for some online cardgame in their dvd's or bd's before though.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 18:10   Link #733
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Looks like Acchi Kocchi and Sengoku Collection are both sales flops. 2,000 combined for Acchi Kocchi's first volume and just barely short of 3k combined for Sengoku Collection(2k of which is DVD).
Perhaps the market for "Sengoku" anime has finally been saturated. It's amazing how many "Sengoku" anime are out there, particularly in the last year or two. There's at least two different female versions of Oda Nobunaga in anime now. When you're retreading gender-bent ground that might be a sign it's time to give the Sengoku period a bit of a rest, guys.
Old 2012-06-12, 18:17   Link #734
totoum
Oppai warrior

Quote:
No they came in both version, but some people were probably primarily buying it for that code so it makes more sense to buy the cheaper version.
Oh right now I get it,thanks,I guess that makes sense.
Old 2012-06-12, 19:35   Link #735
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Triple_R: Well, there's another series that is based on the concept of the Sengoku Era. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 40!! Completed: 210. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 19:46   Link #736
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Triple_R: Well, there's another series that is based on the concept of the Sengoku Era. Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon.
not quite, it is base on the who 1640s era for the entire world. Not just japan's sengoku era.
Old 2012-06-12, 19:53   Link #737
Ithekro
Warning

Almost 150,000 units in a week? That seems...odd next to everything else.
Old 2012-06-12, 21:00   Link #738
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Oh right now I get it,thanks,I guess that makes sense.
No it doesn't! it means that 2000 guys bought the DVD for the code

Leaving those psychopaths aside, the company could just sell the code without getting into the trouble of producing a 2!?!?! cours anime (however much I like it)
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 21:44   Link #739
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
No it doesn't! it means that 2000 guys bought the DVD for the code

Leaving those psychopaths aside, the company could just sell the code without getting into the trouble of producing a 2!?!?! cours anime (however much I like it)
Well, if you really want to look at it that way, when you're buying a Blu-Ray/DVD, you're spending that money just to get bits stamped on a round piece of plastic when the equivalent could just be downloaded or streamed (plus you've probably already seen it anyway). The value of all this stuff is only based on what people are willing to pay for it (partly out of a concept of supporting the franchises they like), and has little to do with actual cost/raw materials. To extend your logic, the entire late-night anime industry is essentially funded by "psychopaths".

<-- has not actually watched or done anything other than unpack most of the Japanese Blu-Rays/DVDs he's bought, and may never get around to it. Isn't that worse in a way than buying for the code?
Old 2012-06-17, 03:16   Link #740
Undertaker

Quote:
Like in the case of the im@s cinderella cd's, the virtual cards could level up into one with higher stats if you fused it with the same card (or however it was done). So people bought multiple copies of the cd's for that reason.

But then again it's just my theory, because i haven't seen any serie that included codes for some online cardgame in their dvd's or bd's before though.
One thing to note is that while in U.S. Blueray might have taken over DVDs, or at least on the verge to, DVD is still by large the dominant media format in East Asian Countries. Take for example, you hardly see any concert or drama or even non-Hollywood movies in Bluerays over there.

One of reason almost all anime has BD version was because hardcore ACG fans (Otakus) in general are tech savy with current setups.

BTW, relentlessflame is absolutely right, the psychopaths are the ones who are supporting the whole industry, or at least the major force, considering that most anime air past midnight where rating is of in-consequence.

Late night program needs to sell something to stay around and for anime that is DVDs, figurines, CD, etc. and in this case, codes.

Tags
news, sales, statistics